[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one transport a firearm through a city in a freedom-loving
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: babies 1 and 2.png (1 MB, 996x561) Image search: [Google]
babies 1 and 2.png
1 MB, 996x561
How does one transport a firearm through a city in a freedom-loving state without a car?

I'm going to be interning in Pittsburgh over the summer and will likely not be able to bring any of my guns with me on the way there. I would like to, however, possibly purchase a shotgun while I'm over there (thinking a cheap Maverick 88) along with some ammo for defense. I do have all necessary identification/licensing from my home state (a freedom-hating state nearby) and would be fine to take the gun home at the end of the summer most likely. I won't have a car and will be college-aged, and I know that I wouldn't be breaking any laws by taking a cab, but what are your experiences with legally transporting long guns via taxi or Uber? Should I find another way to do this? The nearest gun store to my place is 4 miles away.
>>
Oh, and just to clarify, I'm 20, even though I said "I will be college-aged" that's a brainfart.
>>
>>29443345
disassemble it and stuff it in a duffel bag along with the rest of your shit. Nobody would be any the wiser. And I'm not 1005 percent sure but I think that transporting it disassembled is completely legal.
>>
>>29443405
Yeah, a firearm is a firearm, so I'm thinking the same thing you are: just de-barrelling my own shotgun and putting it in the carry-on baggage for my voyage there. My parents are driving me so this will be completely legal under the laws of all the states I'll be passing through.

Thanks anon. I'm just not working so good mentally this time of night, hahaha. I just got my tax return so I'll probably just buy another Maverick before I go out.
>>
>>29443345
I've never taken a gun in a cab before, but if you were to just put it in a box/case, the cabbie probably wouldn't even bring it up. Can you borrow a car?
>>
>>29443546
Can't borrow a car, don't know anybody out there. I'll probably just put it in a guitar case or something if I do have to buy it out there, I'll make it work out.
>>
>>29443546
Also, good suggestion, thanks bud.
>>
>>29443345
You can't buy a gun in a different state than the one you reside in. Well, you can, but you have to take possession of it through an FFL in your home state. So you give the cash to the dealer in Pittsburgh, and he ships the gun to whatever gun store back home you name for him, and when you're back home you go to that store and do the 4473 form and all that. There will probably be fees from both dealers and a requirement to pay shipping. Arrange this with your "home" dealer first, of course.
>>
>>29443619
The only real way around this is if you're buying a C&R gun and have a C&R FFL...and that's because you ARE the home state FFL.
>>
>>29443619
Everything you just stated has to do with pistols. Long guns aren't regulated under those statements you provided, unless you can give me a source.
>>
>>29443619
Oh, and just to clarify, I'm pretty sure that you can buy a long gun out-of-state from an FFL directly and just walk out the door in the same day. Face-to-face transactions have to be done at an FFL with a transfer.
>>
>>29443345
Keep in mind that in Pennsylvania, even with a Licence to Carry Firearms or an out of state equivalent with reciprocity, you may NOT have LOADED long guns in a vehicle. Any loaded magazines in the same container as the firearm also legally constitute said firearm being loaded. If you're traveling, especially through multiple states under 18 U.S. Code § 926A, the attorneys I work with advise two separate locked containers, one for the firearm and one for the ammunition, either in the trunk, or as far away from you as possible as to not be accessible.
>>
>>29443700
Thanks bud. I would definitely not transport my shotgun loaded or near the ammunition, as I would just be taking it to my apartment for defensive purposes.
>>
>>29443668
In Pennsylvania, only private party pistol transfers require an FFL for transfer if both parties are PA residents. There is no requirement for long guns unless the buyer is from out of state.

In regards to longarms. In the case of PA seller and out of state buyer, an FFL is required.
Long arms may be purchased here if legal in home state. Pistols can be paid for but must ship FFL to FFL.
>>
>>29443734
Thanks for clarifying. I'm OP, and I was replying to >>29443619 with the post you just replied to.

I'm actually from New Jersey and own 4 guns over here already, so I'm just gonna buy a cheap pump shotgun for home defense while I'm there.
>>
I'll make it easy for you OP.

May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where
he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to
the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than
the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download
>>
>>29443762
Thanks buddy. I'll be living in an apartment complex and will want to keep things as discrete as possible (firearms aren't explicitly disallowed but that whole "flammable items or dangerous', etc clause makes me think I shouldn't test it). So I think shipping might not be the best idea for this time.
>>
>>29443810
any clause that would disallow firearms is not valid and that portion of your contract would be null and void. Landlords throw dumb illegal clauses into agreements all the time, they don't hold any water. You can also ship the firearm to a trusted family member/friend/neighbor, or a facility that schedules pickups like a UPS store.
>>
>>29443905
Yeah, my landlord originally had a clause that would have allowed her to kick me out of my place without notice and at any time at her discretion, and we got her to remove that one. There's nothing specifically about disallowing firearms so I guess I'm fine. A similar clause is in for my family's current townhouse and nobody's ever bothered me about carrying obvious rifle bags / ammo boxes to my car in the neighborhood.

Thanks for your advice, friend, I'll keep what you've told me in mind.
>>
>>29443905
>any clause that would disallow firearms is not valid and that portion of your contract would be null and void.
I retract that statement, this is only true in certain states such as Minnesota.
>>
>>29443949
keep an eye on that landlord, make sure she doesn't do anything to harass or abuse your right to privacy. She has to notify you at least 24 hours and with your consent before stepping foot in your apartment. Landlords can be a pain
>>
>>29443949
PA state law requires 24 hours notice before the landlord can come on the property unannounced for any types of inspection. The only exceptions are emergencies where there is severe danger to the property itself, such as a major pipe burst or the roof collapsing, etc.

Pennsylvania Termination and Eviction Rules
State laws specify when and how a landlord may terminate a tenancy. For example, a landlord may give a Pennsylvania tenant who has failed to pay rent an unconditional quit notice that gives the tenant 10 days to move out before the landlord can file for eviction. See State Laws on Unconditional Quit Terminations and State Laws on Termination for Violation of Lease for details on these types of termination notices in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania

68 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann., §250.501(b)

10 days

Nonpayment of rent

15 days (lease 1 year or less or lease of unspecified time)

Violations of the terms of the lease

30 days (lease more than 1 year)

Violations of the terms of the lease

68 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann., §§ 250.501(d) and250.505-A

10 days (any tenancy)

First conviction for illegal sale, manufacture, or distribution of an illegal drug; repeated use of an illegal drug; seizure by law enforcement of an illegal drug within the leased premises
>>
>>29444010
Nah, I understand what you're getting at. I should be fine with the landlord.

>>29444043
She'll actually be out the entire summer out of country, so I don't think it'll be an issue. It was still a bullshit clause though. I think I'll be fine with having a shotgun there.
>>
Rent a car, dipshit.
>>
Have you considered private sales?

Here in the land of the free it's literally you give me money I give you gun.
>>
>>29444048
Thanks for the additional support, friend.

>>29444100
I'm 20. It's very, very hard to get a rental car, and even then it'll be super expensive since I'll be there for 3 months. Just not worth the effort.

>>29444103
I'll get it from a dealer if I decide to buy instead of bring my own, because even a face to face transaction would require an FFL transfer since I'm not a PA state resident.
>>
>>29443345
It's not illegal. Just be sure the taxi-driver is OK with it. Also, consider renting a car.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.