[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /k/, I have $500 and want to buy a revolver for target,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Alright /k/, I have $500 and want to buy a revolver for target, bird and rodent shooting.

What will give me the most bang(no pun intended) for my buck?

Also never owned a revolver before if that's relevant at all.
>>
>>29441031
Save up a bit more and get a 10/22 and a Maverick 88, a Judge which you are subtly baiting us into recommending is all around shit.
>>
>>29441031
Ruger GP100/SP101
>>
>>29441054
I have other firearms that would be more than suited for the task, I just want a revolver so I can say I have a revolver and not have it just collecting dust.
>>
File: IMG_0067.jpg (3 MB, 2996x2247) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0067.jpg
3 MB, 2996x2247
For $500 AND your desired uses your choices will be really limited, either to hunks of shit requiring repair, taurus, or a very used Ruger.

Taurus' have been known to be hit or miss for quality, their revolver lines have a little better reputation though.

Rugers are tanks, but they're $650 new. So you're not likely to see one at a $500 price point.

Save up and buy a Ruger GP100 or 101. They're built to be bomb-proof, but the trigger leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Bird and rodent shooting with a revolver? the fuck?

Also, keep saving your pennies because you'll want to eventually buy ammo at 35-60 cents a round, a speed loader or two, maybe a holster at $60 (don't get a nylon holster unless you really don't care about the finish of the gun) and maybe new grips, as budget guns usually have poor grips.
>>
>>29441089
Then why the fuck are you going to shoot birds with a revolver? Why rodents?
You have a 22? a scattergat? that is what those are for.
Just get a used S&W or Ruger and call it a day. Try for 38/357, best all around/ most versatile caliber, for target, defense, hunting.
It would be a waste to blast rodents with such a round, and on birds jesus christ... Are you Jerry Mickuleck?
TL:DR
>You aren't gonna blast birds or rats with your wheelfun, get a used S&W, or Ruger, it is worth waiting for a nice used one from a GOOD brand vs getting Taurus or Armscor pot metal shit.
>Price points for Murrican revolvers are 600 and up
>>
This is why no one likes revolvers anymore, they're prohibitively expensive vs autos for little benefit.
>>
>>29441031
well you definitely won't be getting that glorious 5 inch 8 round wheeled bastard you posted.

>ive heard really positive things about google.
>>
>>29441031
Get a police trade-in model 10 with a heavy barrel. I shoot comp with one, make my own loads and average pretty well. usually, they're around $300-350, so you can get yourself a press too with the extra money and start making your own ammo.
>>
File: IMAG0911.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0911.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>29441031
>>29441429
This is what I got for $300 shipped. has some holster wear, but the thing looked like it had been fired maybe a dozen times in its life. Dead accurate at 25 yards.
>>
>>29441031

A revolver like the one in your picture would turn rodents into dust. Nobody really uses revolvers for birds too. They have revolvers that shoot .410 but are inaccurate as shit.

>Get a 22. Rifle for varmints/rodents
>get a shotgun for birds
>>
>>29441561
they also make 38 shotshell. You can load it yourself too using 7&1/2 shot and a bit of wax. Don't really expect to hit anything more than 3 yards away though.
>>
>>29441226
>prohibitively expensive
Maybe a hi point is more in your price range.
>>
>>29441561
We never used ours for rodents or birds from the start, it just kinda happened. Ya know targets of opportunity. Shot a lot of stuff between the mkII and some .38 single action my dad had. I don't think op is planning to go around hunting with model 66 or a bearcat but come on guys.
>>
>>29441758
>I don't understand how the word comparatively works
>>
>>29441031
S&W 629 with a 2.5" barrel is the only answer.
>>
>>29441758
I get what he's saying, a new, decent quality revolver is going to start at ~$650(aside from a few snubbies)
You cant get a double action .44mag fro ruger or smith for less than $900 now.
and compared to a glock or M&P running$450-$550, it does kinda blow.
But one day i will EDC CCing a 4" .44mag, one day.
>>
buy a colt walker replica
>>
>>29441031
> $500 budget
save up or buy a Black Powder revolver.
>>
>>29441168
Are Taurus revolvers that bad?
>>
>>29442175
depends how much you intend to use it
for a gun that will never be shot and probably only fire 1k its fine none of the serious problems will develop
>>
>>29441031
OP, this >>29441060 is going to be your best bet for your stated budget, barring saving up more money. I see them <$500 at local gunshows all the time.

The gun in your pic is around $1200 or $1300, I believe. A few months ago I picked up a 5" 8 shot Performance Center M627 with hogue grips for only $900.

Whatever you do, stay far away from anything from South America (Taurus, Rossi, whatever).
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.