[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://nerdist.com/mythbusters-dest royed-all-evidence-of-an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 20
File: 1458088543430.jpg (23 KB, 300x315) Image search: [Google]
1458088543430.jpg
23 KB, 300x315
http://nerdist.com/mythbusters-destroyed-all-evidence-of-an-easy-to-make-explosive/

>After laughing about how specific he should be, Savage didn’t share some lighthearted tale about an argument or fight the cast had, but instead told the frightening story about how Kari, Grant, and Tory were investigating an “easily available material and its supposed explosive properties.”

>According to Savage “what they found out was so explosive” that they actually destroyed the footage of what they made and everyone involved agreed never to discuss it again. It was so dangerous that when DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) recently asked the public to help their research by designing homemade bombs that might pose an unknown risk, Savage contacted them with the information he had from this particular incident. Though he did point out that they probably already knew, as some bomb techs are aware of it.

What do you think it was?

I'm betting on organic peroxides or nitrourea.
>>
Probably anfo. But the recipe isn't exactly a secret- 2 quarts fuel oil per 50 lbs of ammonium nitrate. Or tannerite. Hell, RDX isn't that hard to make if you know some basic chemistry. I always laugh when people worry about the public safety implications of guns for this reason. I can walk into a hardware store, buy all the shit I need for a pile of huge fuck off bombs, pay in cash, and never appear on any database anywhere.
>>
>>29440375
they probably scraped the glow in the dark stuff off a few hundred watches and made a mini-nuke.
>>
>>29440375
>DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) recently asked the public to help their research by designing homemade bombs
you're telling me that I can make bombs and blow shit up and when the cops come, I can tell them I'm working for DARPA and doing research?
what a time to be alive
>>
>>29442117
I think "design a bomb" and "build a bomb" is the difference they emphasize here.
>>
>>29442853
>>29442117

Why not all of /k/ have it's own design/build a bomb contest. Or that's want we will tell the FBI.

Rules
-- All supplies most come from compartment stores and hardware stores.
-- No welding equipment is allowed
-- Lastly the final bomb can't weigh more than 75 pounds.

Winner will be who kills most fish in a lake or has the most FBI agents after you.
>>
The answer to building a bomb that wouldn't get you all over the ammonia nitrate list used to be plasticized potassium chloride but it became the meme bomb of the middle east for precisely that reason and the dream is kind of dead.
>>
>>29443192
>chloride
That was legit autocorrect fucking me I swear to god ;_;
>>
>>29440375
probs was acetone peroxide
>>
>>29443159
I forgot you can get stuff from your local gas station too.
>>
>>29442065
Definitely not anfo. They use anfo on the show all the time.
>>
>>29440375
>According to Savage “what they found out was so explosive” that they actually destroyed the footage of what they made and everyone involved agreed never to discuss it again. It was so dangerous that when DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) recently asked the public to help their research by designing homemade bombs that might pose an unknown risk, Savage contacted them with the information he had from this particular incident.

>destorys all evidence
>dont talk about it again
>lol jk here you go darpa
>make evidence to give to them.

Just tell us adam!
>>
probably was tatp
>>29443455
plus anfo is more of a demolitions explosive, it's like a bulldozer.
if you really wanted to fuck shit up you'd use a primary like the aforementioned tatp.
>>29442853
how will I know my design works if I don't build it?
checkmate alphabet agency faggots
>>29443159
is it just a concussive bomb or can we add in various ingredients to have an extra fish-killing effect?
>>
you can do pretty well with just ping pong balls, acetone, and stump remover. ive gotten rid of an old pear tree that way.
>>
>>29440375
Astrolite
>>
>>29443234
lol, no. That's extremely well-known.
>>
>>29443743
Did I say it had to be a concussion bomb. Add all the bolts and other metal shrapnel you need.

Who do you think we are the mythbusters?
>>
>>29442106
That's not how it works.
>>
>>29442065
>thinks he can buy all the ingredients to make 50 pounds of anfo and not show up on a watchlist
They track large orders of ammonium nitrate fertilizer for this exact reason.
>>
>>29443777
I read that as astroglide.

>make dat ass explode if you know what I mean
>>
>>29443748
What the hell are the ping pong balls for? And isn't acetone peroxide in stump remover? Why use acetone and acetone peroxide?
>>
File: 1454643705208.jpg (284 KB, 1199x814) Image search: [Google]
1454643705208.jpg
284 KB, 1199x814
Guys! I got it!

It was pentaerythritol tetranitrate, PETN.

Why PETN? Because its super easy to make and completely unknown to the general public, but relatively stable and a very, very powerful explosive.

It's made like this: Pentaerythritol is reacted with concentrated nitric acid to form a precipitate, which can be recrystallized from acetone to give processable crystals.

That's it.

"But WTF is pentaerythritol, anon?" Well, pentaerythritol is environmentally-friendly bike-chain lube. It's the new kind of transformer fluid. It's also in lots of other things, and even used as a heart medication.

So, bike lube and nitric acid. Some acetone. And you've got yourself the fastest component in the original Semtex 1A.

You're welcome.
>>
>>29444523
Using my very rudimentary knowledge of high school chemistry, would you make it like this:
>get bike chain lube
>get concentrated nitric acid (where from?)
>mix, precipitate forms
>drain liquid, keep solid
Then what do you do with the acetone? Just mix it in?

That's mint
>>
>>29444575
There are many nitric acid sources, but most require distilling to make strong enough concentrations. There are many hard and a few easy sources described online, many of these come from hardware stores. I'm gonna make you at least have to jump that bar.
>>
>>29444683
Oddly enough I can't find any on ebay. That's interesting tho
I'll do some more research

t. Not ATF
>>
>>29444512
pingpong balls are made of celluloid, which is essentially just nitrocellulose (the main ingredient in modern gunpowder).

If you dissolve them in acetone, you can get a sort of mild plastic explosive.
Although you need to pack it in a pressure vessel to get decent performance.

As for the potassium nitrate, I guess extra oxidizers never hurt.
>>
>>29444267
You do realize hardware stores sell literal tons upon tons of fertilizer from the period between Feb-Oct, peaking in spring/early summer.

It's impossible to track it all.

T. Former hardware store employee.
>>
I would guess nitrogen tri-iodide. You can make it with iodine crystals and it's so unstable the recipe I read suggests holding the stir rod between your fingers so when it blows up you'll still have an opposable thumb.
Mythbusters would likely have buried their results just to keep dumbshits from crippling themselves or torturing animals.
>>
>>29443777
How are you supposed to get the Hydrazine?
>>
File: ATF RAID.webm (3 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ATF RAID.webm
3 MB, 500x500
>>29442853
>>29443159
Good luck; you're now on a list
>>
>>29449750
I probably already am due to my fascination with homemade explosives.

Oh well.
>>
>>29449768
>Tfw you read demolitions manuals and books on toxicology for fun in school.
>>
>>29448354
NI3 is so unstable that the most militaries passed on it. It could definitely get a bunch of idiots killed though.

I hear the French resistance used it against the Nazis though.

As far as deadly things that loads of people still use, the gasses Phosgene (see WWI chemical weapons) and Metheylisocynate (sp? see Bhopal Disaster) are still in used in industrial processing and could do stunning levels of damage to living organisms that standard explosives could not.
>>
>>29443159
can I just toss in a 75 lb block of potassium and kill the fish by changing the pH of the lake?
>>
>>29450056
Doesn't potassium combust when it comes in contact with water?
>>
File: 1435982894473.jpg (68 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1435982894473.jpg
68 KB, 700x700
>tfw I want to learn more about explosives and how they are made and how they work because I think it's cool and interesting but I don't want to be put on a watch list

Fuck this mass surveillance police state
>>
One can also do some freakishly irresponsible things by playing with chemicals from the plumbing section of the hardware store.

It's another case of simple to mix, hard to clean up and can kill or permanently damage yourself.

Chlorine gas is extremely deadly.

Checkout sulfuric acid based drain openers (Clean Shot is one kind.) Also check out concentrated lye (Red Devil brand is one kind.)

Actually don't. You can kill or permanently hurt yourself without doing anything at all to either of those chemicals except touching/breathing them.
>>
>>29450172
Potassium and water is an pretty violent reaction responsible for plenty of scorched chemistry classroom ceilings. Since it has to be kept under oil to avoid reacting with the moisture in air just getting a fucking 75lb lump of the stuff to said lake will be fun enough, the results of dumping it in would be impressive (from a significant distance of course).
>>
File: nottheATF.png (58 KB, 499x314) Image search: [Google]
nottheATF.png
58 KB, 499x314
Thanks guys. We'll visit soon
>>
>>29450172
technically all it does is create hydrogen gas and heat
>>
p sure it was gun cotton
they had a thing where they made it, but said in the episode they wouldn't show how to do it because it was easily done at home
>>
>>29450497
It would be more dangerous to teach how to make dynamite than some of the complex stuff.

Nitroglycerine is almost as bad as NI3 when in pure form.

When stabilized with gun cotton it is safe enough to transport to a desired location.

NI3 has to be produced at the site it will be used at due to it's inability to stabilize.

Both lessons could cause their audiences to do some really regrettable actions, to put it mildly.
>>
>>29450497
I was thinking that, but Nitrocellulose is really well known and they didn't destroy all reference to it, only bleep out the ingredients.
>>
>>29450454
Joke's on you, I don't have a dog.
>>
The real question is: did they use the explosive they made to destroy the footage of them making the explosive?
>>
File: image.png (103 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
image.png
103 KB, 283x283
>This whole thread
>>
>>29449956
Phosgene is pretty heavy though, they had to combine it with chlorine just to keep it from running off the hills and down the trenches like water.

It's deadly, but, only in very stupid specific circumstances.
>>
>>29450897
It's not like we're going to do anything with this topical discussion. I mean, Big Ben is a long ways away, and so is November.
>>
>>29450902
There is probably better stuff these days but I don't know about the price of any of it.

Many chemical weapons are illegal these days because it scares the shit out of the insurance companies and makes pawns not want to go to war.

A little White Star (Chlorine/Phosgene) never hurt anyone, oh wait.

Poison gas weapons are mostly good against tight spaces. Crowded city streets, trenches, bunkers, etc.
>>
>>29450176
Seconded
>>
>>29442065
nah

>high explosive (anfo isn't a high explosive)
>extremely dangerous (unstable maybe?)
>made out of easily available materials (acetone, hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide are all readily available and not much is needed)

it was probably Acetone Peroxide aka "Mother of Satan" aka "Le Free Palestine Special Recipe" (as seen in Belgium the other day)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNgcR4Fh5vM
>>
File: 1457469498503.jpg (137 KB, 1476x981) Image search: [Google]
1457469498503.jpg
137 KB, 1476x981
>>29450847
Anon asking the tough questions
>>
File: muttley.gif (380 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
muttley.gif
380 KB, 500x375
>>29450929
>>
It's probably this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol_tetranitrate
DISCLAIMER: I DON'T ENCOURAGE OR ADVICE ANYONE TO MANUFACTURE OR ATTEMPT TO MANUFACTURE ANY EXPLOSIVE SUBSTANCES!
THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INTENDED STRICTLY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES! HANDLING OR PRODUCING EXPLOSIVES SHOULD ONLY BE ATTEMPTED BY THOSE WITH THE NECESSARY EXPERIENCE PAPERWORK TO DO IT IN A SAFE AND LEGAL MANNER!

ETN can be pretty easily made with materials that are relatively easily available in the US, or than can be improvised relatively easily.
Erythritol is used as an artificial sweetener, you can buy this shit off of amazon in a very pure form.

As for the other required chemicals

>Concentrated sulfuric acid
Step 1:Boil car battery acid in a stainless steel pot until thick white fumes appear. It's a good idea to do this outdoors on a hot plate with a long extension cord.
DO NOT INHALE THE FUMES, SERIOUSLY, THEY'LL FUCK YOU UP AND THEY EAT THROUGH GAS MASK FILTERS!!!!
Step 2: There is no step two, you've now got concentrated sulfuric acid

>AN
You used to be able to find it in those instant cold packs they sell in athletic equipment stores, but I think most of them contain Urea compounds now.
Alternatively you can get fuck-huge bags of the shit in farming supply stores, it's used as synthetic fertilizer. Although it's used in making a lot of different explosives so if you try to buy the stuff way out of season, or if you seem like a suspicious individual you'll probably end up on a watch list. But if you're reading this thread you're probably already on a watch list.

continued...
>>
File: Erythritol-Sweetener.jpg (99 KB, 700x1015) Image search: [Google]
Erythritol-Sweetener.jpg
99 KB, 700x1015
>>29451852
forgot the pic

...continuation

For the more efficient production method you need concentrated nitric acid
This shit is nasty and used to make all kinds of different explosives, so they don't just sell it over the counter to every jackass that wants some.
But it's pretty easy to improvise red fuming nitric acid with is likely good enough for making ETN.

Carefully mix 1 part (by volume) concentrated sulfuric acid with two parts of potassium nitrate (sold as stump remover in hardware stores).Mash it into a smooth paste.
Then distill the mixture in a still, perferably one made of glass or stainless steel.
It doesn't take a lot of heat, the acid mixture boils at a lower temprature than water.
If you acid you get out of the still is cloudy, pour it back into the still and repeat the procedure.

This shit will fuck you up even worse than concentrated sulfuric acid, so DON'T BREATHE IN THE FUCKING FUMES!
If you get it on you wash it off with plenty of water, use far more water than you think is nessesary, then use some more water. This applies to sulfuric acid burns as well. Pour some baking soda on any acid burns, this should help neutralize any acid that may remain after you washed the burn with water.

As for making the actual ETN, I won't give you guys detailed instructions.
If you want to find detailed instructions you can probably find them online.
But for the love of all that is holy DON'T TRY TO MAKE STUFF LIKE THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!
And by that I mean you have a degree in chemstry or something.
I don't want you retarded little 14 year old edgelords to blind yourselves with acid or blow your fucking hands off.
>>
>>29451852
>>29451870

Alternatively you can make a low velocity plastic explosive by simply kneading together vaseline and potassium chlorate.
Supposedly adding some methanol in the kneading process make it easier to handle and adds a bit of bang.

It's weak as all hell, but it's piss-easy to make and it's relatively safe.
>>
>>29451015
Apparently white star will crust up and turn into a pressure mine after a while. (After being deployed in stupid quantities anyway)

But generally it doesn't have the strength to give someone the striped pajamas out in the field.

Serin gas on the other hand can, usually.
>>
>>29450172
It's complicated....

Scientists honestly don't really know what happens.

They used to think this >>29450469 is what happened, after youtube personality Thunderf00t questioned that and did some experiments in his garden and kitchen, no one is quite sure what's really happens.

Thunderf00t did some more experiments, and even got a paper about it published in the journal Nature.
>>
>>29440375
Erythritol.

Buy big bags of it (sugar substitute) and nitrate it up into Erythritol Tetra-Nitrate (ETN).

Relatively similar to PETN (a well known high explosive), but it doesn't sensitize Ammonium Nitrate based explosives as well.

Or, at least according to at least one research paper. It probably sensitizes bulk Ammonium Nitrate explosives about as well as PETN.

If the paper is to be believed, it would require 30% ETN to sensitize bulk AN for higher det velocities.
>>
>>29451015
>Poison gas weapons are mostly good against tight spaces. Crowded city streets, trenches, bunkers, etc.

It depends entirely on what agent you're using, and how you're deploying it.
VX for example can be used in wide open terrain leave the area deadly to anyone (even those wearing full level 4 MOPP gear) for weeks or even months depending on the weather and how much VX you use.
>>
>>29451852
Pretty sure the instant cold packs at walmart still have AN in them.
>>
>>29444512
Have you ever set ping pong balls on fire before anon? Shit is gunpowder/10 reactive. Made for an interesting beer pong game in college once, but enough said about that.
>>29446299
Would it be possible to make gun powder out of pulverized ping pong balls then?
>>
>>29452076
Wait, what's VX, I haven't heard of that .one.

Also what was used in the Tokyo subway gas attacks? Wasn't that white star?
>>
>>29452320
>Would it be possible to make gun powder out of pulverized ping pong balls then?

Probably.
Thin strips of celluloid have been used as improvised smokeless powder before.
If you pulverize the balls, or chop them into tiny pieces in a blender it could potentially work.

If you want to get fancier than that I'd say try dissolving them in some kind of potent solvent, like acetone or ether.
Then vaporize off the solvent slowly until you get something resembling dough.
Then roll it out as thin as possible and let it dry.
Then cut it into little flakes.
This process is very similar to how the first modern smokeless powder (Poudre B) was made.
>>
>>29450176
Samesies. This shit is just interesting and I wish it wasn't used so malevolently.
>>
>>29452343
>Wait, what's VX, I haven't heard of that .one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX_%28nerve_agent%29
Very, very nasty stuff.

>Also what was used in the Tokyo subway gas attacks? Wasn't that white star?
Crude improvised sarin nerve gas.
Luckily for everyone in the subway, the cultists didn't disperse the gas effectively.
If they had dispersed it in a more effective way hundreds, possibly thousands of people would have died.
>>
>>29451015
They're also, depending on the compund, excruciatingly painful and horrific in the way they kill people. Others aren't deadly, but are still pretty fucking weird in what they do.
BZ gas is essentially weaponized LSD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-Quinuclidinyl_benzilate
>>
>>29451852
You can buy concentrated sulfuric acid at the hardware store as drain cleaner.

Just throw in some sodium nitrate to make a nitration solution.
>>
>>29451927
>Sarin gas can,
iirc, sarin has a very short half-life, whereas VX, which is essentially the same thing, lasts for MONTHS and is hard as shit to clean off.
>>
>>29452490
BZ is a deliriant unlike LSD-25 which is a psychedelic.

Deliriants are far more unpleasant.
If you want to know what what happens when you're affected by a deliriant, just read a trip report from anyone that has tried to get high on Jimson weed AKA devil's snare, which is a relatively mild deliriant.

The are plenty of recorded cases where people have taken deliriants once and gone permanently insane.
>>
>>29452513
and on the civie market, it's known as peru/chile saltpeter, just in case you were curious.
you may or may not be able to get it for under 20 dollars in 5 pound bags online as well.
>>
>>29452573
Sarin is unstable and vaporizes quickly.

VX is like tree sap compared to sarin.
VX sticks to everything, it's very hard to clean off, and it takes months to evaporate or break down.

Hence it's useful as an area denial weapon and deployed in much the same way mines are.
>>
>>29452385
Thanks anon, sounds like a cool experiment/ SHTF recipe.
>>
>>29452600
so VX is basically like nerve agent napalm?
neat.
>>
>>29452609
Oh, and a quantity a quarter the size of a raindrop on your skin is enough to kill you, painfully.
>>
>>29452623
so about enough to fit on the tip of a needle?
and we, the US, have thousands of gallons of this shit.
that's comforting.
>>
>>29452513
>Just throw in some sodium nitrate to make a nitration solution.
NO! BAD IDEA!

You're supposed to use sodium NITRIDE and not sodium NITRATE!
They are different things!

Concentrated sulfuric acid reacts very violently if you just dump sodium nitrate into it, especially since sodium nitrate is hygroscopic and absorbs water from air. Everyone that has taken very basic chemistry knows that concentrated acids + water = bad.
>>
>>29452577
>there have been many cases where people have taken deliriants once and gone insane
Jesus fuck. No wonder this stuff isn't used. Although if it was, I'd imagine it'd be a great way of reducing a civilian population to total anarchy. I'm sure it could be modified to deliver some rather unpleasant hallucinations as well.

The Hague Conventions are making more and more sense now, some shit was never meant to see the light of day.
>>
>>29452639
Well, we're destroying it now.

The current strategy is that we eliminate all of our chemical and biological weapons, and if anyone uses chemical or biological weapons against us, we just skip directly to nuking them.

That said, a lot of people have some. The Israelis for sure. Assad probably did before the whole almost-got-freedomed thing in 2013. Russia is swimming in it. Not literally though.
>>
>>29452660
Thank you.

All I really remember is "do as you oughta, add acid to watta"
>>
>>29452639
>that's comforting.

Especially since some of it is stored outdoors exposed to the elements.
In massive steel drums, that are rusting....

The US also stores unused Uranium hexaflouride the same way.
Which I think is odd since that shit isn't just extremely toxic, it also explodes/burns rapidly in contact with air.
>>
>>29452666
>use drones to bomb middle east with this shit
>nothing changes

so i've been reading on the modern civil war thread, and nobody has brought up nerve agents and shit.
would there ever be a chance of the US using this in wartime, or worse yet, against it's own populace in the case of civil war?
>>
>>29450176
>>29451094
>>29452424
>tfw not living in the US
>tfw no ATF for me
>no cyberpolice since govnt is shit and has no money
Still no semi-autos though :'(
>>
File: 1-mcontent.gif (13 KB, 339x124) Image search: [Google]
1-mcontent.gif
13 KB, 339x124
probably CL-20. that shit is like 400 times more powerful than TNT.
>>
>>29452679
>if we become weaker it will prove to our enemies that we are peaceful
>what is multiple options of attack
pretty soon we're gonna revive the SIOP at this rate.
>>
>>29452715
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2011/11/11/things_i_wont_work_with_hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane

It has it's own entry here.

That's probably a good sign.
>>
>>29452715
>CL-20

That stuff is made of pretty exotic chemicals that are not available at your local paint store.
The myth spesifically states that the explosive in question was made of common and easily available materials.
>>
Astute readers of this thread may be thinking, "Just use a fucking machine gun!!!!!!!!!"

Lol!
>>
>>29452728
I kind of understand the logic.

It gives us an excuse to bust out the canned sunshine, and it eliminates stockpiles that could potentially pose a security risk.

Might make the North Koreans think twice about dousing Seoul in Tabun.
>>
File: 1457585016121.jpg (34 KB, 229x158) Image search: [Google]
1457585016121.jpg
34 KB, 229x158
>>29452715
>they fuse it with tnt to make it LESS explosive

fucking metal
>>
File: crushing.jpg (43 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
crushing.jpg
43 KB, 500x588
>>29452623
And a few milliliters of the stuff dropped on the ground will kill everyone in a 30ft radius, but oddly enough, if the same amount is dispersed @ 1000 meter altitude, it could kill everyone in an area as big as central park.
>>
>>29452701
That's why they store that shit out at Dugway and I think Kansas. Uranium Hex is at Los Alamos and Idaho, so again if something goes up, nothing of value would be lost.
Fun fact, there were canisters of mustard gas found in neighborhood not far from DC. a few years ago.
http://wtop.com/news/2014/09/wwi-toxic-munitions-cleanup-in-dc-faces-2-3-year-delay/

http://dcist.com/2013/02/buried_mustard_gas_seems_like_a_goo.php
>>
>>29452702
>would there be a chance of the US using this in wartime?
Not exactly. As noted in >>29452679
The US is/was undertaking the destruction of it;s chemical stockpile, however some of that VX was spared by recommendation of Cheney and I think the NSC as a means of retaliation in the event of a chemical attack by Saddam and friends, or Russia. Whether or not this is still the case, I have no idea, but given the current administration I would have to guess it's probably destroyed and we're just gonna go with nukes.
>Against America's own citizens?
Highly unlikely. There really is no military equipment or infrastructure to support a chemical attack right now, and such a tactic would most definitely result in foreign intervention.
>>
File: korn.jpg (11 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
korn.jpg
11 KB, 208x242
>>29452714
Where you live anon? If it's Western Europe you can kiss those cyber rights goodbye, with all the shit happening on continental Europe right now.
If you're in Scandinavia, Iceland or Greenland, you will not likely have anything change.
>>
File: Walter White.jpg (225 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Walter White.jpg
225 KB, 1920x1080
>>29440375

My guess is the reason they destroyed the footage is less because the resulting explosive is exceptionally powerful and more that its disturbingly easy to build.

I doubt they'd really get worked up over something that Walter White would struggle to make with a full laboratory.
>>
>>29440375

Watched the entire video.

The part you're interested in is at about 32:00 minutes in.

Personally I enjoyed watching the whole Q&A since I'm a fan of the show; but if you just want that bit there it is.
>>
>>29453142
Maybe not exceptionally powerful but still enough to maim, plus volatile enough to be unsafe outside of a lab environment. And since the ingredients are common, everything points to them trying to not be responsible for letting John Q. Holdmybeer know about it. It might even be on advise from their legal department.
>>
>>29440375
he already alluded to it in a leddit ama, its liquid oxygen and an oily rag
>>
>>29453431
Where am I supposed to get an oily rag at this time of night..?
>>
>>29453401

I mean he used the term "terrifying" so that definitely makes me think its something that would kill without an exceptionally large amount of it.

I also doubt it was particularly volatile, I think if they discovered something that wasn't volatile and was a legitimately practical explosive for use by the Tim Mcveigh's of the world/disgruntled muslims/etc then they clearly wouldn't want to air that either and the fact that he took the time to phone DARPA makes me suspect that its something practical for those with bad intentions. Something that was impractical to transport probably wouldn't be of major concern to the authorities.
>>
>>29449703
>How are you supposed to get the Hydrazine?
If you dont know how to source chemicals you shouldnt be trying to make these things
>>
>>29453431

What like a LOX molotov?

I'm not sure how that would work since LOX has to stay under pressure not to dissipate so you couldn't just put it in a glass bottle.
>>
>>29449703
Hydrazine isn't that hard to make.

T. Chemical Engineering student
>>
>>29453478
Good points. I'm still not 100% convinced that it isn't something volatile and they're trying to protect rednecks from themselves, but what you say makes sense.
>>
>>29453558

Like that dipshit who blew his leg off shooting the lawnmower full of tannerite from 20 feet away.
>>
>>29451198
>look up acetone peroxide on youtube
>3rd video down is all in arabic
>>
>>29451198
isn't that shit retarded volatile?
I saw in a similar thread that it basically blew up if you looked at it wrong.
I think a terrifying explosive would have to be;
>easy to make from common materials
>very powerful even in small quantities
>stable enough to be stored and kept waiting in the wings
>>
>>29452490
You a tech?
>>
>>29453443
You do have a car don't you?
>>
>>29453024
I remember they found them after children got arsenic poisoning from the water. Apparently the arsenical Jessica's broke down into that
>>
>>29453680
Vessicant
>>
>>29453521
no, the liquid oxygen turns the oily rag into an explosive.

according to Adam this didn't always work, but it is definitely plausible
>>
>>29453497
>>29453532
Well, I understand there's a method to use sodium hypochlorite and urea.

I was figuring that for the easiest home method.
>>
File: axenigga.png (49 KB, 841x514) Image search: [Google]
axenigga.png
49 KB, 841x514
>>29448354
>>29449956
We set off some NI3 in my high school chem class, shit was tight.

We also demo'ed a thermite reaction, except one of the people in charge of mixing it up was our resident juvenile delinquent, and he over-egged the pudding a bit. So instead of a gentle incandescent glow there was an eight-foot-high fountain of sparks. Good times.
>>
>>29453615
>isn't that shit retarded volatile?
It is.

>easy to make from common materials
That would be acetone peroxide for you
>very powerful even in small quantities
This also fits into the profile of acetone peroxide
>stable enough to be stored and kept waiting in the wings
This is the absolute opposite of acetone peroxide.
It's extremely unstable. If there is ANY left over acid on the crystals they'll only get more unstable with age.
The crystals also change with temperature differences.
This means that if you put some acetone peroxide in a container with a screw-on lid, the peroxide will get on the threads, so when you try to open the container the friction will set off the whole container of explosive and take your hands off.
>>
>>29454686
TATP isn't that powerful as high explosives go.
>>
>>29453851
>>29449703
https://youtu.be/PCovDr4FVNQ
I think that might help.
>>
>>29440375
It was MRE heaters and coffee creamer!!
>>
>>29454718
It's more than powerful enough for any reasonable application you might want to use it for.

The only reasonable use for it is improvised detonators.
And it works for that.

It has a detonation velocity higher than some of the primary explosives used in commercial detonators in the past.
>>
>>29454770
You don't even need to be an MRE chemist to achieve deadly results with MREs.

>eat nothing but veggie and cheese omelet MREs
>eat ALL the hotsauce
>try you best to avoid drinking water or coffee
>after between 7 and 10 days drink like 3 gallons of black coffee

You should expect a massive and highly lethal explosion within 24 hours.
>>
>>29452427
>VX is odorless and tasteless
>odorless and tasteless
>tasteless
>>
>>29444206
Yes it is.
>>
>>29451198
>(anfo isn't a high explosive)
Yes, it is. Not a very potent one, but it detonates nonetheless.
>>
File: 1456072571940.gif (995 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1456072571940.gif
995 KB, 500x375
>>29442065
>buy all the shit I need for a pile of huge fuck off bombs, pay in cash, and never appear on any database anywhere.
Every major boxstore has good cameras pointed at registers and also cams at eye level. Trust me you can buy that stuff but you'll get on a list eventually. Even if you use cash your plates from store surveillance are gonna get looked at and run through the NGI while the skyhook box and freewfi tell lets them know exactly what your cell's or even car's IMSI and MAC is w/o a warrant.
>>
>>29442065
>I can walk into a hardware store, buy all the shit I need for a pile of huge fuck off bombs, pay in cash, and never appear on any database anywhere.
Paying cash for a large quantity of a well-known precursor chemical like ammonium nitrate fertilizer will be an ENORMOUS red flag. You can bet your ass they'll demand to see your ID at the very least, and will refuse to let you buy it and probably even call the cops if you refuse.
>>
>>29444206
http://www.damninteresting.com/smoke-detectors-and-a-radioactive-boyscout/
>>
look at the clues

>it was an easily available material
so probably involving an everyday product

>it was surprisingly explosive
>>
>>29450176
Aren't there classes for Blasters and UXO guys?

Just go to one.
>>
File: Red_Skull_Vietnam_Times.gif (2 MB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
Red_Skull_Vietnam_Times.gif
2 MB, 659x609
I'm happy to be in this thread.
>>
>>29452701
>In massive steel drums, that are rusting....
>The US also stores unused Uranium hexaflouride the same way
>Uranium hexaflouride
>Rusting steel drums
>>
>>29454882
Wait, are you the guy who let the black floodgates of hell open at a briefing?
>>
File: peedance.gif (631 KB, 255x168) Image search: [Google]
peedance.gif
631 KB, 255x168
>>29444523
>It's the new kind of transformer fluid.

?
>>
>>29457026
It's a red flag, but I could see you getting away with it if your cashier is the right kind of apathetic and ignorant. Do you really think 50 year old career cashier Bonqueefa paid attention in chem class? Or does anything but the absolute minimum to keep her job? No. If she listened to irrelevant management bullshit during meetings and showed initiative she wouldn't be stuck as a 50 year old cashier. At best, she might make a passing comment about the unusual purchases to the customer, but if you try to talk about your personal hobbies or home inprovement plans you'll just get head nods and tuned out. Hell, throw in a trowel, some seeds, a flower pot and now you've got your boring cover story.
>>
File: Muslim.jpg (31 KB, 218x208) Image search: [Google]
Muslim.jpg
31 KB, 218x208
>>29458891

>Greetings infidel, I would like to buy 100 kilos of your most dangerous chemicals. Oh and do you sell blasting caps?
>>
>vinegar and baking soda confirmed
>>
>>29450176
Pursue a career in explosive ordnance disposal anon! Live your dream, and get paid to make stuff go boom!
>>
>>29452427

They also tried to deploy bot toxin and anthrax. Good thing aerosol deployment is a technical nightmare. If memory serves, they also got a non-virulent B. anthracis strain.
>>
>>29461701
Well actually, they completed succeeded with the aerosol deployment, it went everywhere, but they used strain meant for immunisation.
>>
>>29457026
People who buy ammonium nitrate: immigrant sharecroppers, aging farmers, are more likely to pay cash than ordinary people. Also always buy large quantities because fertilizer works like that.

Real red flags would be anyone overpaying, even a little bit. Maybe if they don't complain about the high price and try to get a discount, or if someone transports the stuff away in something other than a rusty, dirty. nearly-broken-down truck.
>>
Well /k/ we've successfully got a lot of potential explosives on here they could have used, but I think we're forgetting one thing - the physics involved here.

Depending on shape & container, a bomb can have higher efficiency & greater yield. Removing the powder from a grenade, pouring it on a flat surface and lighting it has a much smaller boom than the grenade itself because the grenade's shell is designed to let pressure build before failing.

Odds are the mythbusters crew made one of the aforementioned recipes. Thing is, they have higher quality ingredients, better workmanship in making the explosive, and used a much more efficient container than simply exposed explosive covered in nails in a briefcase.
>>
>>29442106
They don't use that stuff on watches anymore. It was bad for the watchmakers; not to mention the radioactive material licensing is a massive pain in the ass. Not that the stuff was easily weaponized, anyway.
>>
>>29462536
Just get a pressure cooker in asian stores.
>>
>>29458494
>Uranium hexaflouride
That stuff is stored in aluminum drums, but otherwise the storage conditions are identical.

Outdoors exposed to the elements in neglected aging containers.
>>
Pop-rocks and Coke, then.
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.