[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homemade Body Armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: homemade armor.jpg (44 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
homemade armor.jpg
44 KB, 448x336
Does anyone know of any guides on how to make it? Obviously it's going to be a lot worse than $2000 plates but surely you can rig something up to stop a 5.56.

And please no "Just strap a phonebook to your chest"
>>
>>29439652
>Surely you can rig up something to stop 5.56

You are aware that decent 5.56 loads actually penetrate armor pretty damn well right?
>>
If you REALLY want cheap body armor just get an AR500 plate. Homemade armor is not worth it
>>
cold rolled steel plates 3/8 inch thick.
>>
>>29439684

Can't get them outside the US and that doesn't work if the government bans them
>>
File: doomsday prepper armor.png (387 KB, 650x358) Image search: [Google]
doomsday prepper armor.png
387 KB, 650x358
This guy might be able to help you out OP.
>>
>>29439722

Doesn't cover sides or even most of the front

3/10
>>
>>29439706
AR500 is just a grade of steel, if he can find a metal shop that can order and cut steel of sufficient thickness and hardness to the correct size and shape for front, back, and side plates then he can coat them in a good truck bed liner or similar for spall protection and either make his own carrier or buy one sold on the airsoft market that can take standard sized plates.
>>
>>29439706
>Can't get them outside the US
LVL IV can't be exported, but LVL IIIs can.
>>
File: TylerSmith.jpg (17 KB, 708x404) Image search: [Google]
TylerSmith.jpg
17 KB, 708x404
>>29439752
Wtf did you just grade me as, you little bitch? See how well it works when my marauders are kicking in your door. All your shiny ARs, your high powered .308 rifles, your 50,000 rounds of ammo, are all going to be ours. And then I will perform a C-section on your wife.
>>
>>29439833

I can get Level 4s anyway, I can get whatever since europe doesn't restrict

I want to be able to make them though when the inevitable ban comes
>>
>>29439918
Hardened steel cannot be banned. Afterall it is only carbon steel that has been heat treated. Hardened steel has many other applications other than armor plating.

Maybe you should be asking "how would a 12yo can make their own body armor?"
>>
>>29439652
>acquire hardened steel plates and fasteners from manufacturer or just mcmaster carr or something
>find local waterjet cutter
>cut out shapes and holes for attachments
>attach to vest

wow
>>
>>29439652
Have you tried TWO phonebooks?
>>
>>29439889
HA! That guy went to jail because he was a convicted pedo and wasn't allowed to own guns. Local police saw the show and v& him
>>
>>29440129

Yeah but AP .50s still go through
>>
>>29440104

Cutlery requires ID to purchase

You seriously underestimate the power of the dark side of the law
>>
>>29440339
I'm not buying it. Standard 1/4 A36 carbon steel can be heat treated to withstand hundreds of 5.56 hits. I have personally used this method for targets.
>>
>>29439722

What the fuck did he make that out of?

A BBQ grill?

>hit the deck going prone
>you are now stuck into the ground by the seven exposed I bolts coming out of your chest
>>
>>29439722
pretty sure his fat would stop any incoming rounds as it is
>>
>>29440401

I've never liked working with metals but I guess I could give it a shot. I'm sure there are classes I can take since I don't really want to mess around with a furnace on my own.
>>
>>29440329
Good luck wearing enough steel to stop an AP .50 BMG and still being mobile at all.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.