[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manufacturing and Selling Firearm Components
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: pusher assy.jpg (43 KB, 881x665) Image search: [Google]
pusher assy.jpg
43 KB, 881x665
Aight, /k/

So I work as an engineer at a machine shop. I have a Mossberg 930, which I quite like overall, but I didn't like that the pusher assembly, a part of the gas system, was made of molded plastic. I've heard that it cracks, from various forums. So I designed a replacement in aluminum with stainless pins, and built it, and I use it in my shotgun, and haven't had any issues a couple hundred rounds in. It's heavier than the original, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I could put a bunch of speed holes in it to lighten it up, but that would increase the cutting time and price.

I'd like to sell this aftermarket part, but I'm not really a businessman, and don't know what I should be doing to limit the liability to myself and the company, or if there's any other obscure legal bullshit I need to be aware of, this being the Democratic People's Republic of California.
>>
>>29436939
Well if you do go into production what us the cost on them? I'd probably buy one and if you can find a way to improve the buffer between the handguard and reciever that'd be nice also. Maybe a way to make the handguard fit tighter also.
>>
File: Handguard Retainer piece.jpg (28 KB, 730x579) Image search: [Google]
Handguard Retainer piece.jpg
28 KB, 730x579
>>29437296

I think I could do 'em for $75 plus shipping, if I did a decent sized production run.

I have a design for the handguard retainer, but I haven't made one yet.
>>
Not sure about California law.

To start, create an LLC and pay yourself out of the LLC to separate your finances.
Secondly, I would provide an installation guide with the part that has a warning on it along the lines of "by installing this part into your firearm you acknowledge that your warranty is void and that YOUR COMPANY is not liable for any incidents related to misuse, mishandling, or improper installation."

Other than that, make sure your product isn't dangerous.
>>
Form an LLC.

Produces these independently. Either order them from a machinist OR get a written contract to produce them at your place of employment. DO NOT run them on the side, this is asking to get fired or even sued. A "handshake" contract is not enough.

Get your product out in the real world for testing. You'll have to send out some freebies to 930 fags.

Document its use and installation. Have a lawyer provide boiler plate disclaimer.

Contact these guys and sell directly to them for resale: http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_marine.htm

Once your product has a following and good reviews, start designing and manufacturing additional components. Create your own website and start advertising. Get some of the shill youtube channels to talk about your crap. Here's an example of a shill channel that already is covering the 930: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlP9Gk4JQKA

For the record, I'm also a 930fag and an engineer with design/manufacturing experience.

>>29437364
>$75
What's the material cost?
What's the run-time on the aluminum?
Are the stainless pins off-the-shelf? If not, what's the run time?
What's the assembly time to press the pins in?
What's the cost of a gauge for verifying pin length and placement?
What's lead time?

Get the parts quoted by local machinists, even if you plan to make them "yourself".
>>
>>29437364
>>29437384
I would definitely test one for you and I'd be willing to pay shipping if needed. What state are you in? This may be easier than expected.
>>
>>29437384
>>29437415
>Form an LLC.

That makes an awful lot of sense.

>>29437415

>What's the material cost?
looks like a 2.25" segment of 1.5" 6061 bar should be 5in^3, around half a pound, market price should be somewhere between $.50 and $1

>What's the run-time on the aluminum?
Should be 10 minutes tops on our machines, it's a single setup on the 5-axis trunnion. On a non-5 axis machine, it would be more. At $200/hr, that would be about $35 per piece, plus the time for setup amortized through the run, though that will be relatively short because it uses the 5-axis fixture which does not need to be indicated unlike a vise fixture.

>Are the stainless pins off-the-shelf?
Yeah, they're 40 cents

>What's the assembly time to press the pins in?
About a minute or two

>What's the cost of a gauge for verifying pin length and placement?
Already made one

>What's lead time?
Months, probably

>>29437534
I'll make another thread whenever I get the chance to make another; shit's pretty busy recently, which has been a pleasant surprise.
>>
>>29437628
>Months, probably
Get three quotes from local shops. Relying on capacity that isn't there (you said it will take months and shit is busy) is not a good business model. Have a vendor ready to take an order should you see actual demand.

Is $25-$30 profit enough to make this worthwhile? You're looking at realistically ~$50 in cost per piece.
>cutting blanks on a horizontal bandsaw
>$35 in run time
>setup
>deburr
>assembly
>QC
>packaging
>printing for instructions insert

How many can you realistically sell?

Most people won't care because their gun already works. You aren't offering the ability to run lighter loads, like the light weight marine tube thing. In fact, this will likely reduce reliability with light loads.

On the bright side, you are offering something unique in the market place. I'm just not sure the demand is there for it.

The 930 isn't exactly the most widely adopted shotgun out there. They are great, and my 930 JM Pro will run even reduced recoil 2-1/4" loads, but no one is really running these guns.

I speak from experience: marketing isn't exactly most engineers' strong point.
>>
>>29437769
>Is $25-$30 profit enough to make this worthwhile? You're looking at realistically ~$50 in cost per piece.

Probably? A little extra spending money would be nice. I'm not looking to quit my regular job.

>How many can you realistically sell?

No idea, really. Not all that many, I'm sure, like you said, the 930 isn't that common.

Not sure why that is, it's pretty nifty. I have a JM pro as well, and I've only shot low recoil loads (range rules), and it's not once malfunctioned in any way. Granted, before I ever shot the thing, I opened it up, deburred all the moving bits, then de-greased and lubricated it. If you don't do that, it might need some breaking in.

>I speak from experience: marketing isn't exactly most engineers' strong point.
Oh I'm well aware.
>>
i dont see a whole lot, if any, profit coming from this endeavor.
that being said, i LOVE gun guys that step up and make parts that they and other want/need just because.
i dont have a 930 but i sincerely wish you luck.
>>
>>29437628
I'll be watching for it. I'd like some better parts because I've already cracked the handguard retainer once.
>>
>>29436939
>$75

Good fucking luck selling it unless you have a big company like Brownells market it for you

And even then about the only people who'd buy from you would be competition shooters

$75 for a CNCd chunk of aluminum is absurd, nigger

Try more like 30-50
>>
>>29438567

The original plastic ones apparently ran about $80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSSBERG-930-AUTOLOADER-Factory-New-PUSHER-ASSEMBLY-Ships-FREE-/291468507225?rmvSB=true
>>
File: i...what.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
i...what.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>29438655
I take back what I said...
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.