[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR-15 Barrel Extension
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: woa_m4_cuts_02.jpg (123 KB, 1024x867) Image search: [Google]
woa_m4_cuts_02.jpg
123 KB, 1024x867
Nogunz here
Why is the barrel extension on a AR-15 not integral to the barrel? So i.e. why cant they machine it out of the barrel blank when they are rifling the barrel?
>>
>>29434627
Probably just simpler to machine as two parts
>>
>>29434627
A versatile AR will have the option of different barrel attachments such as a flash hider or other advanced milling. Similar to a shotgun with a choke, if you are stuck with just one you lose the option to customize the weapon to suit your needs.
>>
>>29434634
this its easier
>>
>>29434627
It would be stupid expensive
>>
>>29434638
If you're just operating out of a small shop then yeah I guess but if you are a large scale manufacturer i.e. Colt, Ruger, HK so forth and you have a cold hammer forging machine which in theory can also hammer out the chamber in addition to the rifling in one single operation
>>
>>29434653
The chamber is not part of the barrel extension.
Additionally you'd need the chamber to be "roughed in" before chf process if you wanted to do it that way.
>>
>>29434635
>flash hider

for the life of me I cannot figure out why having the barrel extension machined into the bore would have any effect on attaching muzzle devices.
care to elaborate on your thought process?
>>
>>29434627
How are you going to fit a larger diameter bit through the smaller hole? I.e. past the locking lugs?
>>
>>29434701
Well I guess you could finish the rifling process and use a CNC lathe or something to cut out the recesses of the barrel extension
>>
>>29434749
Or you just use a barrel extension.
The are cheap, effective, and clearly do not affect accuracy when properly installed
>>
>>29434682
he thinks you're talking about the muzzle end because he's stupid
>>
>>29434800

i thought that's what it was, but I wasn't sure.
also, not OP, but it's no big deal.
>>
>>29434627
>>29434701
Machinist here

Although it is possible to machine a barrel extension integral to the barrel using a T-slot or Woodruff cutter, it would be more difficult and expensive than making two parts, and there would be little benefit. It might even be less accurate because it would be hard to get the locking recess as nice as doing it from the open end as a second part.

Also if you fuck it up during machining you fuck up a whole lot more than a little piece of steel.

The AR-15 barrel extension and barrel unit is proven to be very accurate, any benefit would be marginal at best.
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 2048x1536
the AR-15 was designed before 5-axis cnc mills. it would be no problem to machine it as one part given the necessary equipment. some higher end bolt guns have the locking shoulders integral to the barrel.
>>
Considering the volume of production, having the the barrel extension as a separate piece allows the lockup/headspacing to be adjusted on an individual basis and mitigates a bit of the tolerances required on either the barrel or extension individually.

In general, it's harder to maintain precision and good surface finish on internal cuts like that. Less tool access means smaller tools means less rigidity.
>>
>>29434635
nofun detected
>>
because that's nearly impossible to do
>>
You cannot make the cuts needed in one piece

It's physically impossible to machine like that
Especially if you want any kind of accurate machining
>>
>>29437325
>some higher end bolt guns

As in expensive and not any better than conventional

Also, you need to do it on a lathe, then take it to a mill, and this could be done on a 4 axis, m8

Stop posting the 5 axis CNC meme
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.