[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will this rod damage my .22? I used it once but now I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1748x3106) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1748x3106
Will this rod damage my .22?

I used it once but now I'm worried maybe I shouldn't have, this gun is my baby. I don't know much about cleaning bores.

I cleaned from the chamber
>>
>>29416801
I don't use any rods on my .22s.

I use boresnakes, and rags and shoe strings.
>>
it looks like aluminum so no
>>
>>29416811
Shoe strings huh? That's a good idea.

But my gun is 28 inch barrel, so I don't think that would work.

Bore snakes are good though? I'll get one for next time.

>>29416816
I hope it is. I used the brush attachment in the pic with it and it does have a metal loop on the end too

It was kind of hard to push through but I'm guessing that's normal? I hope I didn't scrape the chamber

Also how heavily should I live my bolt? I just used the hoppes that came with this kit
>>
>>29416919
Gun cleaning rods are always made of a softer metal that won't usually scratch or damage your barrel. Aluminum is soft compared to a rifles usually steel barrel. So you'll be 100% fine.
>>
>>29416942
Ok good. I still think ill get a bore snake or something. Are they rubber?

I got this hoppes Kit at Walmart for like 20 bucks altogether so I hope it is soft metal.
>>
>>29416801
>aluminum rod
You fucked up. Use a brass rod (preferable single piece, not sectioned) or a boresnake.
>>
No. it's a piece of shit rod, but it won't hurt anything.
Collapsible, multi-piece rods don't tend to last long.
I use single piece Tipton rods. 2-3x the price of the bargain bin specials, but they last p much forever.

If you're going to damage your gun with modern cleaning materials, it will be by fucking up the finish by leaving solvent on. Or just generally cleaning too much.
>>
File: EDIT-9501.jpg (921 KB, 3883x1062) Image search: [Google]
EDIT-9501.jpg
921 KB, 3883x1062
OP has impeccable taste
>>
>>29417003
bores snakes are made from fabric, but have a little copper brush to scrub the bore. Those things are magic and that is all i will use unless im working with guns that have alot of gunk inside from surplus storage.
>>
>>29417079
Do I ever have to use solvent? I just wiped the bolt down with lube and dropped some on contact points. Good enough?

>>29417094
Haha dude I fucking love this thing so far. It's my first gun I purchased for myself.
>>
>>29417126
those kits are good for starting but i replaced everything in my first one in under three months. you will eventually figure out your own kit. I have a whole portable kit with
>bore snakes
>dirty rags
>clean rags
>patches
>a cleaning rod
>some separate brushes
>a bench block
>a small five piece set of punches
>a non marring hammer
>a weaver gunsmith compact tool kit
>a leather mouse pad to work on
>rem oil(i ran out today)
>Hoppes oil and solvent
>can o' Air(for went there is crud i cant get with my fingers)
>a empty small box with compartments(to keep track of parts)
>tweezers
>3 different sized finishing nails for the really small pins you find in the bolt
>Fenix E01(went the lighting is less than sufficient)
>all i need in it now is 0000 steel wool

all of it fits in small box
>>
>>29417228
Solvent is good. You'll never clear out all the fouling with just lube. Keep in mind that it probably needs a harsher cleaning if it starts to lose accuracy or starts choking on carbon.
>>
>>29417267
I didn't even put anything down my bore today I just got this about a week ago and have put maybe 3-5 hundred rounds through it. I ran the brush through dry to see if it would work.

So solvent can ruin the finish? How do I avoid that?
>>
one thing about bore snakes is you always make sure you have atleast one end thats not in the gun.
that way if the thin "pull" end comes off, you can still pull it out.
>>
>>29417282
Take off anything you put on with dry patches. Don't do something stupid like get a bunch of solvent on your gun, then leave it there for a night. Also, don't insist everything has to be tech clean room spotless. Get things "clean enough", where 95% of the fouling is gone, and the last bit is hard or time consuming to get. As long as the gun shoots well and reliably, it's clean enough.

basically don't be retarded, even I figured this stuff out.
>>
>>29417316
I don't like the sound of solvent
>>
>>29417332
it's your friend though, maybe I overstated the dangers.
it's pretty essential to firearm maintenance.

Think of it like cleaning a cast iron pan- you need water to clean it right, but soaking it overnight will fuck the pan up.
>>
>>29417358
Fuck I better order all of this shit on Amazon or something.

Can solvent damage the bore itself if it's left in there?
>>
>>29417387
that bottle of Hoppe's 9 in the pic is a pretty decent cleaning solvent.
It should evaporate fairly quick, but you'll want to wipe it out. Send an oiled patch through after drying, then a clean dry patch. That'll ward off rust.
>>
>>29417462
What fabric do you use for patches? I don't think this rod even can use patches
>>
>>29417627
the middle compartment there is full of patches. I'm sure you have a jag you can thread a patch through, or pierce through on the end included.
I buy my patches, because they're cheap and I can't be fucked to cut up t-shirts or whatever the hell people do.
>>
>>29417079
>Collapsible, multi-piece rods don't tend to last long.

I guess, if you're a retard and abuse your shit. I've got some of my dad's 3 piece cleaning rods that are over 30 years old.
>>
>>29417657
Durr

Yeah I think there's a plastic tip with a pointed tip I guess that's for piercing?

Do I just run the patch all the way through and out the end of the muzzle or do I stop right before it exits the muzzle?

Sorry for all the possibly stupid questions but I'm surprised at the lack of depth of many of the cleaning guides I have looked at on the Internet.
>>
>>29417682
I got time, don't really care.
Run it all the way through, from breech to muzzle.
My general routine is patch with Hoppe's --> nylon or brass brush, depending on fouling --> 1 or 2 clean patches ---> more solvent followed by clean patches until they're not coming out black or blue --> oiled patch --> dry patch or 2.

With oil, less is generally more- you don't wanna see it, just have a thin film to protect against rust
>>
>>29417728
Ok so all the way OUT of the muzzle? So the patch comes out the front and then you take it out, you do not pull it back out the chamber?

and when you say oiled patch that just means any old lube?

That sounds like a ton of work and a lot of patches, how often do you do that?

>less is generally more

For the bore right? I put a fair amount on the bolt and the contact points
>>
>>29417682
For solvent, rem oil is your best friend.
Btw you are super over thinking all of this. I understand, my guns are my babies too and I'm a huge stickler but It's super simple, its honestly hard to fuck it up. You spray, i like rem oil in the aerosol can cause it's an excellent solvent but It gets in every nook and cranny. You spray, You brush the barrel and any moving/dirty parts, run patches until they come out clean and everything else just clean with a cloth. I like to use an old t shirt. And then like anon said you oil everything up with gun oil, not solvent, all moving parts, any parts that make contact, and the inside of the barrel. The oil is ok to get on the wood. All you gotta do.
>>
>>29417770
Yes push it all the way out, doesnt matter which end you start at. You dont have to change the patch after it comes out either. Push it all the way through, pull it back out, then change your patch.
>>
>>29417770
Yeah, push it all out, don't pull it back in.
There are gun oils- the one in your kit is a nice light mineral oil. Perfect for bores. I use a motor oil for other parts of the gun.
I clean every 500-1000 rounds. If you're shooting decent ammo, it really doesn't take long. Maybe 20 minutes and 20 patches if it's been awhile.

You don't want a lot of oil in the bore- if you shoot it like that, it may adversely affect the pressure the barrel must contain. In extreme cases, you might ring the barrel. A thin film is fine and won't hurt anything.

Elsewhere, I leave a bit more on contact surfaces. For rust prevention barely any oil is needed, just go over the metal and wipe it down with a sock. For camming surfaces, I oil then wipe once. It's still oily to the touch.
For rails, a small dab cheap bearing grease is best, but oiling it like a camming surface will be perfectly fine for a .22.

Most beginners way overlube their guns rather than use too little.
>>
>>29417846
Can I get by shooting the bore totally dry?

And just using regular gun lube? No grease nothing.

So just:

Take out bolt
Wipe down
Lube contact surfaces
Solvent down barrel
Patches until dry
Then bore snake

Will that work?
>>
>>29418007
>Can I get by shooting the bore totally dry?
yeah, that's actually ideal. the bit of oil is just for storage. If you're cleaning it and are going shooting again soon, don't bother.
>And just using regular gun lube? No grease nothing.
sure. whatever you've been doing so far seems to work. A bit of oil on contact surfaces and let it run.

>Will that work?
looks fine. I think you can replace a lot of wiping with patches with the boresnake.
>>
>>29418042
Alright so if I get the bore snake do I even need a cleaning rod at all?
>>
>>29418123
probably not
I don't use the things but people get by on only boresnakes
>>
>>29418135
Well I guess I still need to apply the solvent though so I will need a cleaning rod and patches
>>
Use a bore snake.

In you are very anal or it is a nice gun (cz4xx anshutz) get a Dewey nylon coated rod and a bore guide.
>>
isn't 28 inch like crazy long barrel for a .22?
>>
>>29418286
It's a CZ 452

I think I may go with your second option if it's somehow a lot better. If it's not too crazy priced

>>29418425
Yes. It's fun to shoot though and balances well. Makes the irons really accurate supposedly.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.