[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spring has sprung, this year's shooting competition season
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: shooting_sequence_blog.jpg (250 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
shooting_sequence_blog.jpg
250 KB, 500x373
Spring has sprung, this year's shooting competition season begins. I'll be shooting my first match of the year on April 9th.

I'd been shooting every other week over the winter, 50-100 rounds each, mostly trying to stay under 30 MOA and one-hand shooting (my club seems to fucking love one-hand stages). Every session I also do 2 or 3 F.A.S.T. drills, but I'm pretty confident in my reloads so I don't dwell on them.

Occurred to me I might ask /k/ for advice on improving. So /k/, how do you prepare for competitions and the possibility of CC adventures?
>>
Courtesy bump because no input but relevant to my interests
>>
>>29413442
SASS I assume?

Practice, practice, practice. Reactive targets help a lot (those orange bouncy cube things are great at 7-10 yards). I know a lot of competitors like the 4.5-5" barreled SAA clones but I shoot a Vaquero with the 7 7/8" barrel. I lose like all of a tenth of a second on the draw but it balances nicely and the sight radius improvement helps a lot. I also need to practice the open-and-flip for my coach gun, I always get one shell that doesn't wanna come out that like triples my reload time.

Other than that I mainly compete in skeet, and the only way to practice skeet is to shoot skeet. Fortunately my range is only $3 a round so I'm out there at least once a week for 4-8 rounds.
>thank god for $3.80/box .410 reloads
If I can hit it with a .410 I can hit it with anything
>>
File: fast-target.jpg (28 KB, 364x600) Image search: [Google]
fast-target.jpg
28 KB, 364x600
>>29413690
>SASS I assume?
Local IDPA offshoot actually, but OP pic reflects the average contestant age.
>I know a lot of competitors like the 4.5-5" barreled SAA clones but I shoot a Vaquero with the 7 7/8" barrel
Analogous situation here: everyone shoots compacts, probably half the people there shoot Glock 19's, but I prefer my DA/SA fullsize.
>skeet
I'll get a shotgun after I buy a bike in the near future. LGS got some sweet FABARM SBS's with modular stocks, and I no longer have an excuse anymore.
>>
>>29413787
Ah.

Yeah shooting a compact/subcompact 1 handed is difficult. Dryfire drills would be your best practice.

I tried IDPA and ran into a lot of elitist attitude here. People using heavily customized guns that would qualify as race guns, speed holsters, ridiculous capacity mags, basically all the shit you'd expect to see in a USPSA/IPSC Open or Limited match. I thought IDPA was for the everyman to practice with his HD or CC piece wearing HD or CC gear. Also the people are complete fucking snobs, and I got turned away from one event because my total gear didn't meet some arbitrary $3500 street value minimum. They wouldn't even let me register.
>the reigning champ competes with a Five-seveN with 30rd mags and homemade +8 baseplates so he's got 38rds per load and zero recoil
>also uses a homemade race holster and has an RMR and laser on the gun, both of which are by-name illegal in IDPA regs, as is any gun smaller than 9x19 for anything but the pocket pistol division
>has several sponsorships from regional gun businesses and shows up in basically a bike jersey plastered with gun company logos
Fuck that guy. This isn't USPSA.
>>
>>29413975
Oh also
>>29413787
>factory SBS
>any wing shooting or clays game
Have fun whipping the barrel around like a spastic fairy with a wand. There's a reason skeet shooters use a minimum of 28" barrels and a lot of SC and trap shooters shoot 32-34" barrels.

If you're looking for a good quality wingshooting gun take a look at Franchi. They've got an O/U that's well built and has good lines (aesthetics) for around $900, it's intended to get the everyman into skeet and clays. Or if that's a little rich for your blood, CZ has a couple in the $700 range. They've got good lines but Franchi is a little more consistent on bore diameters and choke constrictions.
>>
File: PERTURBATOR SERBU.jpg (880 KB, 1200x1189) Image search: [Google]
PERTURBATOR SERBU.jpg
880 KB, 1200x1189
>>29413975
Jesus, that's disgusting. Like I said, mine is an offshoot. Translating from (slavfag) rules:
"Only belt holsters used for concealed carry are permitted. CC is required. If any part of the gun or gear is visible when hands are raised at shoulder height, contestant is not permitted."
"Only OEM modifications permitted, anything limiting safety is impermissible. No optics. Mags and baseplates must be OEM, first mag must be standard size."
>>29414000
I'm not too hot on shotguns, but my dudes like to incorporate them into stages sometimes so might as well get one. SBS has the added bonus of being permissible for carry where I live, so a) fun abounds b) if I ever lose my sporting club membership, I can still keep the shotgun on grounds of defense.
>Have fun whipping the barrel around like a spastic fairy with a wand.
I'll get a long stock for it as well, don't worry. OTOH, pic related showing up to shoot some clay pigeons would make for nice contrast among all the fudds
>>
>>29414048
Oh I'm not trying to talk you out of the SBS, just saying that doing well wingshooting with it is incredibly difficult.

There's a reason clays shooters shoot fudd guns--they work better for clays.
>I have taken my 3-gun shotgun clays shooting more than once
My 3-gun shotgun is an 18" SLP with rifle sights

Also the US IDPA rules are basically the same.
>OEM parts only
>baseplates must be flush with bottom of gun
>no aim assisting devices (optics, lasers) other than white-light weapon mounted lights, which must remain off at all times
And half the competitors have custom-built race guns or heavily aftermarket/homebrew-modified guns.
>multi-time winner shoots the 5-7 as stated earlier
>positions 2 through 17 shoot custom-built STI's on the 2011 doublestack frame with the 160mm extended mags, most of which are shooting 9mm or .38 Super so they've got 27-30rd mag capacities
>nobody uses an IWB holster, shit's hanging out in either a zero-retention kydex jacket-slot or in a full-blown USPSA race holster
>almost everyone's pistol has a safety delete and trigger work
>matches are billed as IDPA official sanctioned
I've reported them to the IDPA rules committee dozens of times, nothing's been done yet and their scores still count for national rankings.
>most of them are bad enough that they're still not even top 50 in the state
Five-Seven guy has been blackballed out of all official rankings for IDPA, USPSA, 3-Gun Nation, IPSC, and a few state-level competitions for repeatedly getting caught cheating though. Kinda wish I knew the details on how he did it.
>>
>>29413975
lol where the fuck is this? you could report that club and shooter to IDPA and they can fine them and cancel their association
>>
>>29414185
Rural Missouri, and I have done exactly that. the IDPA association seems to give no fucks.
>>
>>29414239
that's fucked mate, can you go to other places at least? you could always shoot uspsa it's not that bad, shoot limited division or production
>>
>>29414297
I can in theory, but being RURAL Missouri it's a hell of a drive to any other matches.

Used to shoot IPSC Production and Classic divisions before I moved here, there aren't any matches within a 3 hour drive so gave that up. I'll stick with NSSA and 3-gun/2-gun unofficial matches until I move somewhere else.
>>
>>29414371
Oh, also. I used to love shooting IPSC Production.
>use bone-stock 1911 because also shot it in Classic
>be only fucker out there with 8+1 instead of 16/17/18+1 like everyone else
>have a ton of fun even if I don't place
>>
>>29414395
That is absolutely the spirit
>the one guy who comes to IDPA with his old 357, no clips, no speedloaders
>the one guy who has a CZ 52 that looks like it was made during the Brezhnev era
>the one guy shooting a CZ RAMI with exactly 1 spare mag

And they all shoot better than me. The only one you have to strive to beat is your past self.
>>
I did an IDPA match once with my S&W Model 10, best comment was "You steal that from your grandpappy?" heh
>>
>>29414395
I really want to get a 1911 from the CMP when they become available, do some upgrades to it and rock it in USPSA single stack
>>
>>29414548
Heh yeah.
>one old guy shoots a Super Blackhawk in Production
>6 rounds of .44mag
>SINGLE FUCKING ACTION
>loading gate, can't even use clips/speed loaders
>actually placed once
Guy is fucking amazing with it
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.