[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an opportunity to buy a colt 1903. I am currently nofuns.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Colt_Model_1903.jpg (139 KB, 600x417) Image search: [Google]
Colt_Model_1903.jpg
139 KB, 600x417
I have an opportunity to buy a colt 1903. I am currently nofuns. Is this a reasonable first buy? Pros/cons?
>>
Damn I'd buy one in a heartbeat, I very nice and refreshing start to a collection beyond a Makarov, Glock, SCCY, etc.

I'd go for it.

Pros:
Its a 1903 pocket pistol

Cons:
You don't own this 1903
>>
Depends on the price of course, but that's a sweet piece for a first gun. I bet you'll never get ride of it.
>>
>>29412349

Buy a cheap revolver or 22LR instead.

Disclaimer: I don't know how much money you have to spend or what your offer for this 1903 is.
>>
>>29412376
I did some cursory research and the only thing I saw was "sights not great" but it's a pistol anyway.

Is there any reputation I should be aware of? Also the mags are not original, would this matter to anyone but a collector?
>>
>>29412571
>never get rid of it
Well of course, if it was my first.

>>29412579
Why revolver? Is it the easy of operation thing? Is caring for an auto really that much tougher?

The price isn't bad compared to what I'm seeing on gunbroker.
>>
>>29412582
>Also the mags are not original, would this matter to anyone but a collector?

Not really, as long as it works.
>>
Thank you for the input /k/, probably gonna do it.
>>
>>29412349
Depends on the condition and the price. This is an out-dated design chambered in an out-dated caliber. They are pretty cool if you are a collector, but if it's your first gun, I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, especially if you have other priorities, like getting something for home defense, concealed-carry, or even target shooting.

>>29412582
>Also the mags are not original, would this matter to anyone but a collector?
The original factory magazines go for $125-150 a piece online, so I hope you are getting a considerable discount on this gun by not getting any original magazines. The only aftermarket manufacturer is Triple K, and they have a reputation for producing magazines that sometimes work and sometimes don't work, depending on the model. The 1903 is one of the models where they don't work, more often than they do.

>>29413129
What is the price and condition?
>>
File: IMG_24391.jpg (205 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_24391.jpg
205 KB, 1024x768
It's fun as all shit to shoot due to the lack of recoil and it's one of the sexiest pistols ever made. I bought three of them I liked them so much, but I fell in even more love with the .380 version.
>>
>>29412594

Nah, I should have included 'semi autoloading pistol before the 22LR'.

Revolvers are cooler.

22LR is cheaper and semi-autos are fun.
>>
>>29412349
Is a 1908 Colt pocket hammerless (.380) or a bare bone .32acp 1903?

The 1903s go for 4-600 depending on condition. The 1908s go for up to 8.

I desperately want one myself but I wouldn't recommend it as a first gun
>expensive ammo
>expensive/unobtainable replacement parts
>expensive mags and dogshit aftermarket replacement mags
>a 113 year old pocket pistol design isn't the funnest or most competent platform for practicing pistol fundamentals
>anemic as fuck caliber

If you want your first big boy centerfire pistol finger fuck a glock 17/19, Beretta 92, Sig p226, and a CZ75 and see which one makes your penis twitch the most, then best bet rent one and try it out beforehand.

1903s aren't common but they aren't rare. At any given time you can find half a dozen 75% bluing 1903s for 5-600 on armslist or gunbroker.
>>
ITT: OP doesn't give enough information for anybody to give him a helpful reply, and just leaves the thread forever after 2 posts.

Every fucking time.
>>
>>29412579
Dude no. How often do people get to have a first gun as cool as an old colt. A cheap .22 like a rough rider wouldn't be any better.

Assuming OP actually decides to get the 1903 he should definitely learn about the gun come on man
>>
>>29413601
You can buy a Colt 1903 whenever you like. Who cares if you "have an opportunity to buy" one now? They will still be around in 5 years or even 50 years. I assume that someone just getting into guns would be more interested in a gun with more versatility that he can use to learn how to shoot. The 1903 doesn't offer a whole lot that a modern pistol doesn't do better.
>>
File: IMG_20140313_154010_151.jpg (518 KB, 1520x1098) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140313_154010_151.jpg
518 KB, 1520x1098
Depends on the price.
>>
>>29413451
Whoa sorry dude, I'm all noguns and therefore don't know what's pertinent.

>>29413335
.32acp

Okay, good points. I'd wondered about the parts issue, not that I'd probably shoot it enough to wear something out.

>>29413247
Yeah, I saw how expensive original mags were. The quality of aftermarket mags was a question I had.

It's in decent condition but looks old, I guess some of the bluing on the grip is worn. The rifling is still sharp.

$300.
>>
>>29413703
>It's in decent condition but looks old, I guess some of the bluing on the grip is worn. The rifling is still sharp.
Does it look worse than any of the guns people have posted pictures of in this thread?
>>
>>29413722
More patina and scratches than the top one in this post: >>29413678
>>
>>29413748
What proportion of the surface is patina? 10%? 50%? $300 might be a fair price.

As for the rifling in the bore being sharp, I don't want to spook you, but I have seen old Colts like this with replacement barrels, and since the new barrel wasn't ever fitted properly, the gun didn't shoot straight. In a sense, a little bit of frosting in a bore can be reassuring that it's original to that gun, especially if the outside of the gun looks ratty.
>>
>>29413800
30% maybe.

So figure out if the barrel was a replacement? No worries, stuff like this is why I'm asking on /k/ in the first place.
>>
>>29413856
The only real way to find out if one of these guns doesn't have any skeletons in its closet is to shoot it (or have someone who is a very good pistol shooter shoot it for you), to see if it shoots straight. The lack of an original magazine is going to subtract about $125 from the value (you most likely will want to buy an original magazine later down the road, since the aftermarket ones tend to not be reliable).... so really, you're looking at spending $425 on this gun. Guns that sell for that amount are certainly in the range of what you're describing, but it's also borderline between two grades.

You can find really ugly, mostly patina 1903's, and refinished guns, for $350-400, and those would come with an original magazine. If you were to shop around a little bit, you can find 1903's in quite good, original condition and without any patina for about $450-500.

It's up to you, but there is a reason why people get modern guns for their first guns. Unless you have a specific reason to buy this gun (i.e., it was your grandfather's gun or something), I would just pass on it for now. You can shop for them anytime in the future when you have more of an idea of what you're doing and what you want. They will still be around on the market then.
>>
>>29413956
As far as I know, it shoots fine. This isn't sight unseen.

No sentimental value. It was an opportunity to buy a gun that presented itself and I wouldn't really have seriously considered owning a gun otherwise.

Thank you for the in-depth advice.
>>
>>29412349
Is that a tokerev?
>>
>>29415390
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>29412349
I got a 1908 for 400 monies. It's cool to own but I don't shoot it much because snappy and fuck and hurts the webbing of my hand after a bit. Fits very well into jeans pockets though.
>>
I say go for it. Early pocket autos are cool
>>
>>29412349
It's definitely a collector's item. Go for it if you want it.
>>
>>29412349
I don't know if I'd call it a good first firearm, but it's a great gun. If the price is right I'd buy it.
>>
File: 20160223_004802.jpg (569 KB, 2495x1613) Image search: [Google]
20160223_004802.jpg
569 KB, 2495x1613
I own one. Does everything a gun should, BUT

>Sights aren't great. And by not great I mean basically non-existent unless you're a fucking eagle.
>Trigger is pretty meh.

Otherwise, JMB's a legend for a reason.
>>
>>29421770
That's a badass looking old gun.
>>
>>29421770
Suppose you get one on the cheap, fix up the finish, replace worn parts like springs and what have you, how about then milling the top of the slide for trench sights?
>>
>>29424152
> fuck up the finish*

Guns are only unfucked with once. If it is in working order keep it maintained shoot it a bit and enjoy it. If it's broken fix it replace parts, etc. Don't add home job finishes to a 1903 you'll only lower the value.

If I were you OP I'd look at buying a more modern gun first. That way you can learn the basics and you won't be worried about fucking up a collectable by breaking parts or something. If funds aren't a problem buy both, shoot the modern one as much as you want and look after the 1903 and only take it out once every blue moon.
>>
>>29424217
OP here, I wouldn't do any mods or shit ofc, I don't know anything about that.

I understand your reasoning RE purchases.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.