[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How scientifically plausible are these things?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Halo3-ODST_PodConcept-03.jpg (680 KB, 1920x848) Image search: [Google]
Halo3-ODST_PodConcept-03.jpg
680 KB, 1920x848
Long time lurker on /k/, but my slight interest in the "sciences" behind some video games peaks this inquiry. Figured I'd post it here because it's military related, even though fictional.

How plausible are these things? Even if we had the tech for it, would any humans even be able to survive a drop in it? In the lore (I know it's fictional), ODSTS have like a 30-something% death rate alone from just the drop in these things.

Would we ever be able to advance enough to develop these?
>>
nah
>>
>>29409723

>OMGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE HALO GUIZEEEEEEEEE

Stop making these thread on /k/. They're not on topic and bannable.
>>
OP is a fag. Mods please remove this cancer
>>
File: 1458715564281.png (66 KB, 644x861) Image search: [Google]
1458715564281.png
66 KB, 644x861
Possibly. It's really just a personal re-entry capsule, and we've had thst shit since the 60s, As far as surviving the drop goes, parachutes are a thing, as are shock absorbers like those in the seats of military helos to keep crew somewhat alive.
>>
>>29409723
There is a concept for deployment of men via sub orbital flight path AKA ballistic or cruise missile. Rather different from how it's portrayed in halo. Generally halo chute is too small. Landing that hard would red out the infantry IRL.
>>
File: 2hu.png (630 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
2hu.png
630 KB, 1032x774
Someone said touhou thread?
>>
>>29409762
>>29409769
Shitting on me yet this
>>29397555
is up.

Fuck right outa here.
>>
>>29409821

>Thread about combat unit uniformes, even if fictional
>Thread about bullshit video game and nothing about weapons

get rekt m8 and take your shit to >>>/sci/ next time

>>29409801

This pls
>>
>>29409834
>Our board centers around weapons, armor, and other myriad military technology.
>>
>>29409834
I love halo but this thread has much as a right to be here as the anime threads you fuck , if those get a pass this should as well as it has before
>>
>>29409723
>How plausible are these things?

They're not.

These things are invented by noguns 20-somethings in san francisco and LA who say "clips" and call AR15's "AK47's". They have no basis whatsoever in reality.
>>
>>29409723
If the ODSTs have a 30% fatality rate from their normal method of deployment then there is no way they'd actually use the things. Ejection seats, which involve setting off a rocket under your ass that subjects you to somewhere between 12-22 gs and massive shear forces due to be launched out of plane by an ass mounted rocket, have a survival rate of 92%.

Orbital pod dropped infantry is perfectly plausible, it's just pointlessly expensive and has all the drawbacks of parachute drop.
>>
>>29410014
I was thinking exactly this. There's no way any military would spend what it costs to train and equip elite soldiers and then throw a third of them away doing orbital drops.
>>
>>29410014
Are you saying they have all the drawbacks of a parachute drop because they'd have to deploy a parachute anyway?

So, if they could somehow not have to deploy a parachute then it'd probably be a go (assuming not a bunch of motherfuckers get turned into jelly upon landing)?
>>
>>29410122
No, I mean that you're deploying a relatively small number of troops with limited gear into hostile territory using a deployment method that leaves them highly vulnerable.
>>
>>29410122
>if you meant this thing you never implied, wouldn't that be something I could disagree with?

Wow kid, tone down the autism.
>>
>>29410014
So, 12% less survivable than an ejection seat? These are bullshit statistics to make it METAL AS FUARK too, I think it could be done better in practice just not cost effectivally.
Also, it can't be that dumb if DARPA was wanking to the idea before HALO was launched
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSTAIN_(military)
>>
>>29409723
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSTAIN_(military)
>>
>>29409723

USSRSANA(China,Russia and US after ww4) in the year 2120 develops these through BostomDurphadydamix.

>1st deployment vs Zergling lookalike Koreans after fucking with there own DNA to much.
>First 108th Airborne Speznaz Dragons deployes via drop ship.
>High activity and noise attracts Korean Zerg to the surface.
>As they land they all become Hydralisk happy meals before they can even reach for a gun
>USSRSANA declares these men heroes and writes it off as they where feeding Koreans intentionally whilst they rushed battle cruisers in Norway or something.

DO YOU WANT TO LIVE IN A FUTURE LIKE THIS?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.