[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest question you guys. I have a Chinese type 53 mosin and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 20160327_115616.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160327_115616.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Honest question you guys. I have a Chinese type 53 mosin and have been wanting to turn it into a rifle for hunting. It has non matching serials and is from the stamp dates I'm guessing its from the Korean war. Would I be degrading it's value if I had it fitted with a scope?
>>
>>29400434
You sound like a bitch
>>
>>29400434
You sound likena cyka
>>
>>29400434
Yes. And you'd be wasting your money. Buy a used Savage, they already have optics, it will be cheaper, it will be much more accurate, and ammo will be better suited to your purpose.
>>
>>29400452
Na just picked it up cheap at a local store and restored it. Fires well so I figured why not convert it.
>>29400493
Thank you all I needed to know. Already had the rifle so I thought why not convert what I had.
>>
>>29400493
Unrelated note. I wish Savage still had a factory in my area. Made getting used ones so much easier.
>>
>>29400493
this
Or just hunt with it as is with irons. What are you hunting?
>>
>>29400557
Deer.
>>
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=549304139

There. 308, optic, and under $250.
>>
>>29400585
Very nice thanks for the link. I'll have it shipped to bass pro. Sadly all of the local shops closed up a few years back when NY put up all those fucking regulations.
>>
>>29400577
Id use a mosin with irons for deer depending on the area you are hunting in. That stevens is a good deal as well.
>>
>>29400512
>restored it
Depending on what you did it already has no value
>>
>>29400434
Yes, you'll decrease its value if fitting it with a scope. For this rifle, you'll, at a minimum, need to remove the bayonet and fit it with optics and mounts. To do so reliably you'll be drilling and tapping the receiver, purchasing a rail ($60), and probably replacing the bolt handle. If you DIY, you've got a high likelihood of fucking it up. Many sporters go further and shorten/recrown the barrel and replace the stock (to lighten it and for better bedding).

After all that is done, you're out more than you'd spend on a Ruger American or Savage Axis--and you're still looking for a scope. If you went cheap, you'll look to buy a pistol scope (because your scope rail is clamped on in place of the rear sight) which demands a premium over rifle scopes and saddles you with lower magnification...

As for rifles...

Savage Axis XP
Savage 11 Hog Hunter
Savage 10 Trophy Hunter XP (Nikon Prostaff 3-9x)
Ruger American Predator (or Ranch)
Ruger American w/ Vortex Crossfire-II
Mossberg MVP Patrol .308
Mossberg MVP Predator .308

They all seem to cost more, but reality is that once labor to sporterize your Mosin is included, they're pretty price-competitive. In addition, hunting .308 can be had at any gun shop for <$1/rd. Walmart and Dick's carry it, as does your LGS and most everyone else selling guns or ammo.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.