[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cross Dominant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Cross-eyed_soldier.jpg (56 KB, 286x344) Image search: [Google]
Cross-eyed_soldier.jpg
56 KB, 286x344
Hello /k/

My wife wants to start hunting this year. Everything is going great except for one thing.

She is cross dominant. She favors her right hand and her left eye.

Left to her own devices she will operate a gun with her right hand on the trigger and left hand on the forend, with the damn thing buried in her left shoulder. It's awkward and unstable as hell.

What would you folks do? Should we look into left handed rifles? If she shoulders the rifle on her right she tilts her head almost 90 degrees to see through the scope with her left eye. The goofy posture will be a rude awakening when we transition from my 22 to my 300 win mag.
>>
>>29393144
Put some shooting glasses on her, put a dot of paint or a bit of a post it note on her left eye lens, her brain will switch dominance to her right eye, works for me when I'm target shooting. If I'm hunting I just close my left eye.
>>
>>29393169
Not OP but I'll try the post it trick, thx.

Being cross dominant isn't a problem for pistol shooting but I had to train to shoot rifles like I was left handed, which kinda sucks.
>>
>>29393393
It's actually quite freaky, doesn't need to be in the way of your sight picture, just visible when you're aiming. If you know the bringing your hand towards your eyes in an OK shape to check dominance you can try it glasses on and glasses off and watch it swap over.
>>
>>29393144
Aw man, pic related is one of my favorite movies.
>>
>>29393144
Start her shooting with her left hand, she'll get used to it. You can learn to be left hand dominant for shooting, you can't unlearn eye dominance. Eyepatches are a pain, my friend tried it for a while and he shot shit, then he switched hands, and while it took him about 6-12 months, he's now on top form.
>>
I shoot cross dominant. I've not had any major issues with shooting with the wrong hand on most guns, just inconveniences when it comes to using some safeties or brass in face.
>>
>>29393561
>you can't unlearn eye dominance

Yeah, you can.
>>
>>29393592
>>29393561
>>
>>29393144
I'm cross eye dominant. I just fucking deal with it. Right handed, left eyed. Only time i shoot left eyed is pistol.
>>
>>29393602
I was going to say that it depends on the underlying reason.

I can't switch dominance becuase of amblyopia, which is difficult to treat in adults.
>>
>>29393629
Ohh yeah, got ya, yeah some sort of underlying issue is generally the reason for cross dominance, even if it's just slightly poorer vision in the eye that should be dominant.
>>
>>29393592
I can't say I know anyone who tried that and succeeded.
>>
>>29393683
It's literally exercise over time, unless you have drastically different visual acuity then your brain will just revert to cross dominant. It's the same sort of theory as kids getting eye patches for a lazy eye, eventually as the brain has to rely on that eye it get it's shit together.
>>
>>29393144
Just shoot left handed then, working the bolt is weird, and depending on the rifle you can pull a stupid and run over your hand with the bolt, but it's really not that hard to get gud shooting with your weak hand.

For a rifle it's even easier because you're leading your aim with your steadiest hand.

I usually shoot crouching, one knee up, ass on my foot, elbow on my knee and can plink cans at 100 metres no problem.
>>
>>29393144
>She is cross dominant. She favors her right hand and her left eye.
Divorce her and marry someone who isn't related to you
>>
>>29393144
my wife's cross dominant as well (right-handed, left eyed).

She simply decided to learn how to shoot left-handed. Has worked just fine so far.
I don't really see the point of left-handed rifles. I know plenty of lefties who can utilize normal weapons just fine.
>>
I had this for years. It wasn't a big deal, but it did suck shooting a Mosin or other bolt gun. Finally broke myself of it with a Marlin 60 and a brick of ammo.
>>
My wife is the same way. No biggie on pistols, but for long guns try a red dot sight, just for her, that way she can still shoot right handed
>>
I have the same problem
I've only been shooting handguns with any regularity for the past while so it hasn't been bothering me, but it really was a pain when I shot shotguns a lot and did clays
I tried to learn to fire my 12GA left handed but it just felt too strange
>>
>Tfw no series about Stalingrad
>No series about the Afrika Korps
By the way has anybody watched the Italian movie about their experience in North Africa? Any good? I just love other perspectives, good ones about the Axis would be perfect
>>
>>29396546
Wrong thread meant for /tv/
>>
File: 1702.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1702.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
I've the same problem... and unexpectedly came across a solution [at least for me and what I hunt, which is boars.]

SKS, Molot SKS POSP Side-mount scope rail. The thing offsets the scope so far to the left, when I hold the rifle right handed and lay my head for a good cheekweld, my left eye is aligned with the scope as opposed to my right. So, maybe look into a right handed rifle, with some kinda sidemount/offset scope rail/mount.

pic related, my sks.
>>
Right shoulder for a regular rifle. Just have her move her chin ACROSS the stock, so her left eye is facing diagonal, but enough to look down the sights. My eyesight is shift in my right eye, so if I go shooting without my glasses, I do that. It's VERY difficult to fire precise shots without months of regular practice, so I mostly reserve it for semiautomatics, with expendable ammo. 2 or 3 shoots for what would be a single from a properly used rifle.
>>
She needs to shoot left handed. Shooting to the dominant eye negates all of the eye patches and other nonsense. Right handed guns are fine unless the stock has significant cast off.
>>
>>29393144
>what would you folks do
I'd find another wife. Her genes are faulty.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.