[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning to shoot and store firearms...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Dear /k/ommandos,

I was in here a few days ago asking about some good hunting rifles for a new hunter. I am going to surprise my dad for his birthday by going hunting with him, something he has asked me to do with him a few years after I met him but was unable to do due to finances. One of you recommended the Ruger American models and after prayer ( I'll share the story in the next post ) I believe I was led to two different models. One of them is pic related in 36 ( 30-06 , the other mentioned later will be pic in second post ) and the other will be a .22 LR or Magnum carbine.

What I want to know, in asking you this, is what to expect the first time I fire these rifles and the best ways to learn to shoot. I'm going to guess I start with the lower caliber until I'm somewhat proficient and then practice with the 36. What should I expect from the guns? What should I be trying to accomplish as I learn to shoot? Can you educate me on proper gun range etiquette?

I'd also like to know a bit about safe ways to store my firearms. Ideally, even though these guns are not all that beautiful, I'd like to hang them on my wall above what was my computer/file desk. My desktop died out a while ago so I have a good but of free space to keep the tools I'll need to keep my guns in good shape where the tower, printer, etc. was located.
>>
Not to be a pussy, but 'full power' cartridges do kick a bit in a light bolt action gun. You can mitigate this by getting a 'limb saver' pad and/or a muzzle brake (if your muzzle is threaded). If you're going to be shooting a decent amount of .30-06 (or .308, etc.) I would recommend getting a rifle with a threaded muzzle or having it threaded if you can. I'd get whatever rifle you're looking at in .308 over .30-06.

Gun range etiquette is to have the rifle stored in the case at all times until you're at your lane. Once you're at the lane, pull it out with it always pointing down range. Then you can load up and everything. During any 'cold range' times, put your rifle on its side with the bolt all the way open and a chamber flag in if you have one.

If your rifle does not have a bipod, you may want to invest in one, or buy bean/sand bags to rest the front of the stock on. A rear stock bag (sock full of rice or beans) can be helpful as well.
>>
File: Ruger-American-Rimfire-Compacts.png (147 KB, 856x687) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-American-Rimfire-Compacts.png
147 KB, 856x687
>>29390751 pt. 2
I'd also like to know the differences between .22LR and .22 Magnum.

>Be me
>Walk into my faith group
>Pray with the guys, praying for guidance, patience, etc. for one another and ourselves.
>Ask God about guiding me in buying a firearm.
>Discussing God, the American Constitution/declaration and the "men/man of perdition"
>Prompted to suddenly write something.
>Start writing as member of the group mentions Luke 22:36
>Discussion of America's standing ( in past and present ) with God somehow shifts to guns.
>American 22 and American 36 enter my head.
>Come to the realization I'm not supposed to spend a huge chunk on firearms and get the nicer guns you guys had mentioned. I can get both the Ruger models mentioned here for the same price.

Anywho, I want to thank you guys for having given me your input and I'm hoping you'll continue to do so.

May peace be with you,
Anon.
>>
>>29390833
Thanks for the advice mate, I'll look into both the pad and bipod and am even more appreciative on the info involving range behaviors.
>>
>>29390833
me

Oh, and what are you going to hunt?

Bipod recommendation: http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-XLA-Pivot-Model-Bipod/dp/B00W90XEUW
It clamps onto the front sling stud and is fairly low cost.

I think having a .22 is great for shooting, but you may consider foregoing that right now and just practice on your rifle. Put the $ towards more ammo and practice. Make sure to double up on hearing protection (plugs and muffs) and pull the stock into your shoulder very snug and tight.

This guy's vids are informative, easy for noobies, and not full of bullshit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VTMzCiZtE
>>
>>29390836
22lr is the most common round for the 22 rifle....22 magnum is bigge and is not that common. Mon and pop gun stores might not carry that round
>>
>>29390870
No problem.

>>29390836
You may look into the CZ 455 or ruger 10/22 rifles if you want a .22. The CZ455 is a ridiculously good bolt .22lr gun and the 10/22 is a great plinker (do the takedown model). Just a recommendation.

I would recommend practicing with full bag setup (front and rear, or bipod on front and a rear bag) to just get used to the recoil and trigger pull, then maybe transition into standing supported (like leaning against a tree), depending on how you'll be hunting.
>>
>>29390879
My first trip with him we'll be chasing deer but I think it is likely we'll be hunting smaller game or that he'll want to hunt smaller game once he realizes I'm willing to hunt bigger with him. If it makes a difference we'll most likely be eating whatever we hunt so if/when we hunt smaller game I don't want to completely destroy it.
>>
This is the most refreshing thread I have ever been on in this boards history.
>>
>>29391031
You could probably do much better with .243, .260, .270, or 6.5CM over the .30 cal rifles. They'll be softer on your shoulder and easily enough for deer. Don't bother with a .22lr and just spend the extra on ammo. If you want to get into reloading for those (single stage or turret press), you'd really enjoy them.
>>
For learning, a .22 is a great place to start. Even with ammo shortages never fully recovering, $50 of .22 still buys a lot more practice than $50 of .308 or .30-06. In both chamberings, the Ruger American is a fine choice. Just be aware of the cartridges capabilities when you're afield, and both will serve you well for learning and hunting.
>>
dont bother with a .22 it's pretty much a BB gun
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.