[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guns hurting the person using them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: bolter_by_azrath101.jpg (128 KB, 1024x763) Image search: [Google]
bolter_by_azrath101.jpg
128 KB, 1024x763
Hello /k/

I know nothing about guns IRL, but when I GM Dark Heresy 2, I try to simulate the dangers a gun poses to the user in terms of noise and muzzle flash. How realistic is it that a weapon would blind the guy using it or impair his hearing?
>>
File: no fun allowed.jpg (84 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
no fun allowed.jpg
84 KB, 488x516
All your team members are deaf.

/thread
>>
Kill yourself
>>
>>29386700
It is realistic that it would impair hearing badly

Putting that in a game would be fucking terrible
>>
>>29386713
40K is in the space future though, you can just get robot ears, assuming they don't have a way to outright repair hearing loss.
>>
>>29386700
You'll never be blinded, you'll lose your hearing if you're sitting next to the muzzle of the autocannon or heavy stubber firing full auto.

You're more likely to shatter your elbows trying to fire a bolter than suffer any permanent damage that a simple augmetic couldn't fix.
>>
if it's a plasma gun and goes haywire you can expect it to maim or kill. if it's most other guns just defeaning (I'd especially expect bolters and stubbers to ruin your hearing). then again all your dudes can have cyborg ears. if it's a lasgun/hellgun/etcI kind of expect it to not be retardedly loud but more of the generic pew pew pewing variety.

they shouldn't blind people except in a failed critical of some sort. like, you roll a 1 on a d100 and it explodes kind of thing.
>>
I think it makes the weapons more than just toys. Not going for realism or anything, but I want to make combat more brutal. Also, it stops fags with heavy bolters from using them like small arms.

It also makes some gear and talents more valuable.

The players was a bit butthurt of course.
>>
>>29386742
You already can't use heavy bolters like small arms, you have to mount them or they suffer a major penalty. Unless you spent a load of xp on bulging biceps, but even then it's still limited.

You don't need to be pointlessly pedantic for no reason. If you're not having a lascannon or autocannon firing over your head then it doesn't really matter.
>>
what about light conditions? A muzzle flash in the middle of the day outside is fine, right? But what about a dark corridor or even in pitch black environments?
>>
File: flash.webm (168 KB, 1080x606) Image search: [Google]
flash.webm
168 KB, 1080x606
Depending on your muzzle device, it can blind you very temporarily if it's dark.
>>
>>29386769
Depends on the weapon. Lasguns will light the room up red so that won't blind you. Bolters fire rockets so there's not really a muzzle flash, and autoguns fire fast enough that it'll probably just be a strobe effect. Annoying as fuck but otherwise harmless.
>>
Plasma guns are probably the only thing that will cause real eye damage since they essentially fire solar flares.
>>
>>29386700
All guns hurt the person using them. This isn't the movies, you should have a set of ear protection to go with every gun.
>>
in the grim darkness of the far future there are no ear plugs
>>
>>29386828
Deadspace earpieces.
>>
>>29386700
I hate that fucking piss ugly gun design.
>>
File: Bolter_Tigrus_IH.jpg (38 KB, 439x249) Image search: [Google]
Bolter_Tigrus_IH.jpg
38 KB, 439x249
>>29386835
That's a shame because I love it.
>>
>>29386700
Ok OP, I'm not gonna blame you for wanting realism in your game, but keep in mind that the most widely used weapon in the 40k universe fires a visible laser that while strong enough to punch through solid objects, isn't strong enough to blind everybody that sees the weapon fire.

Just do whatever occurs to be reasonable in your head.
>>
>>29386700
Like everyone else has said, hearing.

Can't remember the exact measured level of noise a firearm makes, but it well exceeds 125 decibels, wich is about the point where pain from hearing a noise begins.

The permitted/reccomended exposure of 100-115 decibels is 15min-15/0 seconds before hearing damage occurs, or that is what i remember from my plasma cutting and gouging module.
>>
>>29386700

Bolters have surprisingly low recoil and noise due to the weight of the gun and the fact that the rounds are gyro jets.
>>
>>29386734
>You're more likely to shatter your elbows trying to fire a bolter

A bolter really shouldn't have any more kick than a 12ga. The kicker charge would only be there to overcome the low muzzle velocities seen IRL gyrojets and even if it were a pure slugthrower, it's only .75 caliber. A 12ga is .70

One idea, though it'd end up being mostly role-play purposes if you use it, that laser weapons themselves are very quiet but the point of impact can be quite loud from resulting steam explosions.
>>
>>29386700
Doing that is like telling your players "But you didn't say your veteran guardsman was bringing ear protection for this fight". The "you didn't tell me you were breathing, so you suffocated" kind of GM.
It worsens the experience of the players, and if they are smart they will give you hell in return by describing every single detail so you don't fuck with them, making even a 5min encounter takes 1h.
tl; dr: It makes for shittier games in the vast majority of cases.

Unless it's something really traumatizing like a Ripper gun or an Astartes bolter being fired by an unsupecting guy, or the 40k equivalent of an Apilas, don't.

Besides, you already have catastrophic jams in DH. Making the guns even more dangerous destroys the balance with melee, especially considering that DH weapons have a shitty range compared to RL. It's a game, it has abstraction. Don't aim for realism unless the mechanisms are already made with that in mind.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.