[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Concealed Carry Black Powder?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 18
File: colt1851.jpg (65 KB, 640x328) Image search: [Google]
colt1851.jpg
65 KB, 640x328
Hello /k/
I'm moving to a redneck state (indiana) in a few short months, and I'm going to get a carry permit right off the bat.

I'm not a totally unresponsible hoon, but I also don't really feel like carrying a 1911 around or something like that. I kinda have a thing for older stuff.

So, I was thinking of buying one of these, and open carrying it. Whaddya think?
>>
>>29385604
Er, open or concealed. Depends on where I am and what I'm up to.
>>
>>29385604
Why tho?
I own one, and I would much rather carry my Glock or any other gun that uses self-contained cartridges and that doesn't have a barrel longer than my dick.
I mean, if even a little bit of moisture somehow gets into the powder, you're fucked.
>>
>>29385633
I can't imagine they are that bad in the rain. Obviously they worked when they were first made, I don't think a small pitter patter of water caused all wars to suddenly stop.

I suppose because I'm a bit of a nut. I also like black powder.
>>
You know, oddly enough you could probably OC that damn near anywhere if you really wanted to push it because
>lol not a firearm
>>
>>29385658
I mean you'll look like a total sperg, but it would be kinda cool to carry one, but only if you dress in period attire.
Plus you only get five shots (six if you're a madman) and reloading literally takes at least five minutes with specialized tools.
>>
>>29385694
>not doing mad sikk dynamic cartridge swaps
>>
>>29385604
Why? There is no reason whatsoever to carry a single shot black powder pistol over a modern pistol. If you have to have something "older", buy a revolver.
>>
>>29385694
I think any sensible person would agree with me here, that if you need more than one or two shots for self defense, you have a bit of a problem. Eheh.

I thought spergs carried katanas? I suppose it would look a bit 'cosplay' esque instead of looking like a regular gun, but I'm fairly certain i'm not a normal human being

>>29385720
sometimes there is no why. Also, they're fucking dirt cheap.
>>
>>29385758
Did you see the autopsy and ballistics reports for Mike Brown? It took six bullets to take him down, and that's just the ones that made contact. Realistically you can expect to use several rounds per assailant. Now imagine you're approached by a group of three or four.
>>
>>29385758

don't be a fudd, capacity is always a huge asset, an issue that is even more pronounced when using something that takes forever and a day to reload.
>>
>>29385758
>I think any sensible person would agree with me here, that if you need more than one or two shots for self defense, you have a bit of a problem
Its more that semi autos are so cheap and reliable and just plain superior to cap and ball revolvers that there's no point beyond wanting to pretend to be a cowboy, and maybe making a big enough smokescreen to run away from bad guys.
>>
>Walking down a dark alley at night
>A bunch of gang members surround you
>You draw your 160 year old, 10 pound, foot-long handcannon
>Fire one shot, the entire alley is filled with a thick white smoke that smells like gunpowder
>A gang member is laying on the ground with a two-inch hole through his thigh, the bone is shattered, and he is already developing lead poison from the quarter-pound solid lead ball that is lodged in the brick wall behind him
>The muscle is so shredded that the leg has to be amputated
>The front page of the newspaper the next day, "Lone Cowboy Stops Robbery", you're quoted as saying "Patrolling the city almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter"
>>
>>29385795

rip sides
>>
>>29385792
I also just enjoy sitting down and having some excuse to fiddle with something

>>29385793
>>29385785
I don't really want to kill people.

>>29385795
op here, my sides are in orbit
>>
>>29385795
>And they will call him 'The South Bend Ranger'
>He's not the hero we deserved, but he's the hero we... have.
>>
>>29385821
If you shoot at someone you shoot to kill. You don't shoot to wound and you don't fire warning shots.
>>
File: persuaders.jpg (260 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
persuaders.jpg
260 KB, 1600x1200
>>29385821
nigga if you pull a piece you're preparing to kill.
>>
File: 8377901_orig.jpg (448 KB, 1100x732) Image search: [Google]
8377901_orig.jpg
448 KB, 1100x732
>>29385604
I wish to do the exact same thing OP.
Hell, if they did It 160 years ago, why not today?
It beats carrying a knife, and If your really worried about reliability, just get a conversion cylinder.
Also, If your ever In a self defense senario, before you draw and fire, you are required by law to yell "FILL YOUR HANDS YOU SON OF UH BITCH"
>>
>>29385604
Since everyone's giving you shit about capacity, why not carry several, like Josey Wales or a pirate? There are conversion cylinders available for some models too. You could have a compact modern gun along as a backup if bad powder or caps is a worry.
>>
>>29385604
>Irresponsible hoon
>>
>>29385821
>I don't really want to kill people.
Then you don't have any fucking business carrying a lethal weapon.

I get it, nobody likes the idea of killing someone, but if you're carrying a lethal weapon, the idea would be that you would be able to kill a person who is trying to hurt you.

There's a reason warning shots and "shooting to wound" is illegal and will land your ass in jail.
>>
>>29385633
They make them with 3.5 inch barrels so your feminine penis doesn't look all pathetic, tho.
>>
>>29385604
Never open carry, it's a god damn stupid idea.
>>
OP, you need to get two Colt Single Action Armies and reload your own BP cartridges
>>
File: the_nose_knows.jpg (325 KB, 961x801) Image search: [Google]
the_nose_knows.jpg
325 KB, 961x801
>Trust in God and keep your powder dry
>>
>>29386948
Not OP but I CC an 1958 short barrel conversion with hand rolled BP .45 Colt
>>
File: 1430648620861.jpg (193 KB, 1023x656) Image search: [Google]
1430648620861.jpg
193 KB, 1023x656
>>29385821
>>29386878
listen to this anon.
if you want to walk around with that attitude while carrying a firearm you may aswell carry it unloaded and up your ass. it will be safer for you than pulling it on an attacker 'just to scare em away' or some such crap. shit happens, and shit happens fast; usually when your at a big disadvantage.

and OP, reliability and the QC of the repros will be your biggest issue with relying on one of these to save your life. imho, if you really want to carry a cowboy gun for defense, get a short barrel Uberti clone of the SAA and load up some black powder cartridges.
>>
File: 25844025_1_l.jpg (22 KB, 600x262) Image search: [Google]
25844025_1_l.jpg
22 KB, 600x262
You'll never hit anyone with that old thing. Use something with more collateral.
>>
File: Wild-Bill-HICKOK-Fouts.jpg (56 KB, 654x409) Image search: [Google]
Wild-Bill-HICKOK-Fouts.jpg
56 KB, 654x409
>>29387432
>implying OP doesn't want his attacker to suffer a slow painful death from lead poisoning
>implying he doesn't wish to fulfill his life long dream of being wild bill hickok
>implying he couldn't train enough to out draw and out shoot any /k/unt with a modern revolver or automatic
>>
>>29387463
a SAA has the same manual of arms as the old percussion single actions. even Wild Bill himself was carrying a cartridge revolver when he died. this is about the gun not going boom when you drop the hammer.
>>
http://youtu.be/mM4cn4bHkXo
>>
File: 1435116307946.jpg (220 KB, 764x744) Image search: [Google]
1435116307946.jpg
220 KB, 764x744
>>29385795
>>
File: 1858 vs 1860.jpg (634 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1858 vs 1860.jpg
634 KB, 1024x768
>>29385604
Get an 1858 Remmy with a cut down barrel in .44. (I know Pietta makes them, Uberti probably does too).

Ability to relatively quickly change cylinders rather than have to reload one. If you're a rich fuck buy a couple cartridge conversion cylinders for it. That will allow you to fire black powder loaded .45LC out of the gun.

If you don't care about
>muh stoppin powah
go for a remington 1863 pocket pistol. Pretty sure they make conversion cylinders for it as well.
I have an 1860, myself. I would not want to try and draw that damn thing in a fight.
>>
>>29385604
You know there's no law that says we can't make a modern version of one of these: >>29387447

Does anyone have a screencap of that anon who asked the ATF if he could legally shoot dildos out of a blunderbuss while in a car?
>>
>>29385604

Retarded. We don't live in the wild west.

If you're going to get a concealed carry, get something practical that will only be used to save your life. Don't get a cool shiny toy that makes you feel like a cowboy.
>>
>>29387632
Pleb.
>>
>>29387607
>single shot dildo launcher
>dildo so that the crim has something to put up your ass when you miss and shoot the ground.
>>
>>29385785
must have been those stolen cigars in his system because mr arizona skittles just got shot once
>>
>>29385785
Yeah, and most of the shots that hit him were in completely non vital areas. Real life isn't a video game, a hit to a non vital area might as well be a miss when dealing with a determined attacker.
>>
>>29388521
Even a vital area isn't a promise, remember that the first bullet that struck Michael Platt was lethal and caused him to hemhorrage immediately, but he kept fighting and took down 6 FBI agents within a couple of minutes (4 which died, 1 which was disabled/shot in the groin), until bloodloss finally got him.

Adrenaline can be powerful.
>>
File: platt shot.gif (65 KB, 1431x2034) Image search: [Google]
platt shot.gif
65 KB, 1431x2034
>>29389039
>remember that the first bullet that struck Michael Platt was lethal
Not really, there's nothing quickly lethal about a lung shot.
>>
Indiana's pretty fun-tier.
I'm going to keep an eye out for someone wielding and old ass revolver from now on.
>>
>>29389563
Look for a truck that says "FODGE"
>>
>>29385821
Don't carry a gun then.
>>
>>29385604
Then carry a proper revolver instead of a black powder one that belongs in a museum.
>>
File: Pirate cracka johnny.png (54 KB, 1895x744) Image search: [Google]
Pirate cracka johnny.png
54 KB, 1895x744
>>
>>29391789
somehow i dont believe this story is true
>>
>>29385604
OP here

by "I don't want to kill people" it is not that I am a complete pacifist, or that I don't want to have some serious stopping power, but I don't really want to zim zam a black kid, ya'know? If I was accosted by four or five gangbangers, I'd probably prefer it if I could guarantee my own life and lose some material posessions in the process rather than get into a gunfight. Realistically, I'd run like hell.

Anyway, I went and bought the gun pictured. heeh.
>>
>>29392558
You're a dumb nigger
>>
File: Kino_no_Tabi_v9_230-231.jpg (424 KB, 1967x1400) Image search: [Google]
Kino_no_Tabi_v9_230-231.jpg
424 KB, 1967x1400
>>29385942
>>
>>29385821

If they can prove that you shot deliberately to wound and not kill your attacker, you'll be sent to Federal pound-you-in-the-ass Prison for intent to maim even if you were rightly defending yourself.

I don't think you understand the responsibility of carrying a firearm in public or the laws when it comes to having to use them.
>>
>>29392690
>>29392635
I think I am not explaining myself well. No, I do not intend to shoot to maim. If I was to pull any gun at any one, i'd aim for the center of their chest. It is the most logical place to point one's cannon cracker, biggest target and all that.

I just don't want to take lives when completely unjustified. I think the zim zam had every 'legal' right to do what he did, I think in the heat of the moment he was justified. I just focus on avoiding trouble instead of finding it.
>>
>>29392558

You are going to get yourself and someone else killed.

What do you do when they pull hi-points and you pull one little five shot BP revolver? What happens when they demand it from you?

What happens if your powder fails? What happens if the revolver jams due to corrosion for leaving the powder loaded for so long (you cannot leave BP weapons loaded like you can modern arms), what happens when you have a dud cap? What happens when you realize these BP revolvers are single action and not nearly as deadly as a semi-automatic?

I can't find the article but a long time ago, some nig-nog tried to use a BP revolver to rob a convenience store. He got his ass handed to him.
>>
>>29385633
Seriously what black powder pistol is longer than a howitzer?
>>
File: walker.jpg (758 KB, 4032x1564) Image search: [Google]
walker.jpg
758 KB, 4032x1564
>>29385604
I've got an Uberti repro of the Colt Walker. I got it purely for the giggle factor.

If you look up ballistics, the Walker basically tops out for black powder revolvers. 141-147 grain lead ball doing about 1000-1100 fps. Not terribly impressive, but it was the most powerful cap and ball revolver to make production. Other cap and ball .44 revolvers will make even less velocity because of smaller powder charges (usually around 30-40 max) and shorter barrels.

If I was forced to carry a cap and ball revolver, it'd be a Colt Dragoon, either Second or Third Model.

Has nearly the same cylinder capacity as the Walker (50 grn vs 60 grn), has a more manageable barrel length (7.5" vs 9") and has a more secure latch for the loading lever.

That being said, it's still an xbox huge revolver that would have to be open carried or in a shoulder holster under a jacket.
>>
>>29385658
A presidential assassin tried with two pistols that had damp powder and failed. It was Andrew Jackson he very muchso didn't kill. Jackson's company had to pull him off so Jackson in turn didn't assassinate his assassin.

Don't do it. The guy you shoot at 11pm in a dark parking lot won't care if you have mad style or if you used a glock.
>>
>>29392752
What are YOU going to do if someone pulls a hi-point at you, buddy? Because, let me tell you. I'm one guy. One guy, with a job and things to lose. At any given time, the things that I have on my person worth taking are

>my samsung galaxy note 4
>two hundred or so dollars tops
>my used car
>and in this case, a repro pistol, I guess.

In any case, I'm not going to try and bother getting into a shootout with any integer number of armed assailants. Hell, one armed assailant I would rather not get into a gunfight with, even.

Fucking damn, cowboy. Do you honestly think that alone, if you were actually accosted by a small gang of people each with a gun, that it matters what kind of a gun you have? One man, and one Glock vs a whole gang equals one dead man, and maybe one dead gangbanger. I don't think its worth taking such a gamble.

>>29392818
that was flintlocks, I think. Though you do bring up a good point.
>>
>>29392852

Better you or me and one dead gang banger than someone else being victimized.
>>
What kind of holster would you use for that?
>>
>>29385604

Are you retarded?

Just buy an M&P Shield or a Glock 26 and conceal it

You don't have to open carry, but if you do at least make it worth it with a full size gun like a Glock 17 or Sig P320
>>
>>29392651
Shit, even Kino usually used her Woodsman on the road. The revolver was only for special occasions.
>>
>>29385942

What model is the Colt on the right?
>>
>>29393078
1851 Navy and Woodsman Match Target.
>>
>>29393109

Fine, just go have fun

Don't make us look bad
>>
>>29392752
>and you pull one little five shot BP revolver
The one OP posted holds 6, and cap and ball revolvers generally have studs between the cylinders that you can lower the hammer onto so that you can safely carry them with all chambers loaded.

>What happens if your powder fails
Not a problem if you put nail polish on the nipples and wads between the ball and the powder.

>What happens if the revolver jams due to corrosion for leaving the powder loaded for so long
That's not how corrosion works. That would require him to not clean the gun, keeping it loaded isn't going to corrode parts that aren't even in contact with the powder.

>what happens when you have a dud cap
Same thing you do if you have a dud round in your pistol.

>What happens when you realize these BP revolvers are single action and not nearly as deadly as a semi-automatic
Shoot them anyways because it's what he has. If you're firing a single action pistol with both hands you aren't going to notice that much of a difference in how quickly you can fire aimed shots compared to a semi auto anyways. While a single action cap and ball revolver is less than ideal for self defense, people now days put way to much weight on what gear you have and not nearly enough on training.
>>
>carry a bp pistol
>get outgunned by a nigger with a highpoint

You're looking to carry as a fashion statement. I hope you die to painful, dragged out gunshot wounds.
>>
>>29393118
por que
>>
>>29392730
>I wanna focus on avoiding trouble instead of finding it.
So, you're like every other sane CCer then. You should behave ecactly the same way as if you were unarmed, such as avoiding sketchy places/people and staying in well-lit areas. DO NOT take any risks, as the whole point of havint that gun in your waistband is when things go irreversibly south and you're in a fight for your life.
tldr: Carrying shouldn't change your behavior as long as you're not a retard. Playing stupid games still will result in stupid prizes.
>>
>>29385758
buy an uberti or pietta SAA if you want to be a massive special snowflake faggot.

Or buy a J frame

Or literally any gun that was designed this side of 150 years ago.

but you're probably a felon asking for advice so stop diddling kids or robbing liquor stores, they'll still arrest you for weapon crimes if you try to threaten your dealer tyreese with a civil war era black powder pistol and they find you beaten up in a KFC parking lot with it shoved up your ass
>>
>>29393379
>get outgunned by a nigger with a highpoint
At most he's going to be down 3 shots and will be able to get 1-2 shots off per second vs 3-4. There'd be a bigger difference between an assailant armed with a modern compact/full size pistol and someone armed with a any modern subcompact single stack pistols that has enough recoil (due to light weight, larger caliber, or both) to break his grip each shot, yet many people still carry those regularly. Again, while a cap and ball revolver isn't an ideal weapon, you are putting way to much weight on gear and not enough on training.
>>
>>29387607
>You know there's no law that says we can't make a modern version of one of these
it's called the 1934 NFA idiot, or did you not grock the whole "firearms that aren't shotguns with a bore over 1/2" not designed for a sporting purpose are Destructive Devices." thing
>>
>>29392852
One trained, alert individual stands a pretty good chance against a small group who have never shot before. According to the DoJ most criminals who use guns are ineffective.

But, enjoy watching your GF get raped.
>>
>>29393348
>>29393538
>idontownablackpowder.jpg

BP pistols don't work like in the movies, at least watch Hickok's video before you talk out your ass.
>>
>>29385758
God damn dude, don't move here, go to fucking Ohio or something. We don't want your kind here.
>>
>>29394171
Ohio didn't want me either. :-)
>>
>>29394137
What exactly did I get wrong with either of those posts? While I haven't used a black powder revolver before I do have experience with other black powder guns and single action revolvers, and have talked extensively with people who do own black powder revolvers (where I got the advice about sealing the cap onto the nipple with nail polish so that you can leave it loaded for longer).
>>
>>29394204
Are you one of the worthless heroin smuggling niggers from Dayton? We really don't want your type if that's the case.
>>
>>29385604
You are an autist and even oc'ers will laugh at you.
>>
>>29394239
Nah. I'm just an engineer.
>>
>>29385604
>redneck state (indiana)

indiana isn't that redneck unless you live in a redneck area
>>
>>29385718
This needs to be a thing
>>
>ITT Kids under 21, Felons, Mentally Handicapped Individuals and those who can not legally buy, possess or own a firearm
>>
>>29385604
Just get an SAA.
CCing a black powder just seems autistic
>>
>>29385795
Well, judging by the turgidity of my erection my CCW is now a Colt 1851 Navy. Thanks, anon.
>>
File: LematCWreenactors.jpg (70 KB, 800x312) Image search: [Google]
LematCWreenactors.jpg
70 KB, 800x312
>>29385604
OP, get a Lemat, and never look back.
>>
>>29387632
City slicker.
>>
I've recently started getting into black powder and was just wondering about OP's question today. I think the law here in CA is you have to shoot 100 shots through the gun you intend to carry in front of the Sheriff to demonstrate that it functions properly so going to be a loooooong afternoon.
>>
File: 1429897240038.jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1429897240038.jpg
36 KB, 480x360
>>29385795
>>
>>29394779
When I have $1000 to drop on a gun... oh yes.
>>
File: vegetale soup!.jpg (25 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
vegetale soup!.jpg
25 KB, 480x480
>>29387659
>implying I don't have a second dildo blaster as backup
Oh anon, where do you think you are? I'll be walking around like a faggot Blackbeard with six dildo-loaded blunderbusses across my chest.

>>29393544
>hurr NFA
>citing a law
>implying that a blunderbuss is legally a shotgun
>implying that muzzle-loaded guns are even legally firearms
>being this fucking retarded and/or new

Next time you call somebody else an idiot, check your shit. Not only were you wrong, but you took something that was just a joke and went full retard with it. Congratulations, now you have made it so I am honor bound to become a dildo-shooting vigilante you son of a bitch.

Pic is probably related if you have kids.
>>
>>29397859
go ahead, rig it up and post pics for us.

though iirc, the law may treat blackpowder guns like any other as far as carrying them goes, and whether it is loaded with lead balls, bean bags or dildos makes no difference either. just watch out.
>>
>>29394231
You didn't get anything wrong that I can see. I own a 1858 and I've left if loaded for a year straight without any problems.
>>
File: 1863.jpg (342 KB, 922x692) Image search: [Google]
1863.jpg
342 KB, 922x692
>>29385604
I don't see much sense in that if you can get modern firearms but whatever.

You might want to get pic related if you want to conceal.
>>
>>29394779
Lemat is pretty shit actually, mainly because it's bulky and the loading lever assembly is so weak it tends to break all the time.

It's a great officer/general gun- it looks pretty and is great if you don't need to use it all that much.
>>
>>29392752
>What do you do when they pull hi-points and you pull one little five shot BP revolver?
That's pretty much the only good point you made. Literally no reason to carry cap and ball revolver if modern firearms are an option and everyone around you could have one.

It's a good option for yuropoor like me though, since that's the only thing I can legally carry.

As for the rest of them:

>What happens if your powder fails?
The powder will not fail if the seal is tight. Oversized balls with wads and/or lube is more than enough, while applying polish on the caps makes sure it's sealed from both sides.

>What happens if the revolver jams due to corrosion for leaving the powder loaded for so long
That's why you should empty the gun on the range every s often, then clean it and reaload again. That's what I'm doing, no corrosion so far.

There are people who left their black powder guns loaded for months and they shot just fine, but it's not a rule.

>what happens when you have a dud cap?
That can be an issue, but it can also be an issue with modern primers as well. Can't really do much about it.

But overall, you have a point.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.