[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is the Osprey silencer better than a SOCOM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: HZIzqJn.jpg (262 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
HZIzqJn.jpg
262 KB, 1440x900
is the Osprey silencer better than a SOCOM?
>>
>>29380885
For .300 blk? I couldn't find any numbers for .300blk through an Osprey from a quick google search, but Silencershop might have the numbers in one of their youtube videos. Big question is, would you rather have a rifle suppressor that you could shoot subsonic and supersonic .300blk through, or would you rather have a pistol suppressor that you could should a number of different pistol calibers through and only subsonic .300blk.
>>
Kinda not relevant to the thread, but I watched the behind the scenes of Lone Survivor, and Marcus Luttrell talked about having some thread or whatever around the silencer. Anyone have any idea what that was about, and what its for? Looks like it for extra camo.
>>
>>29380922
im not sure i haven't decided on whether i'd go 556 or 300, mainly because i hear people struggle getting everything to cycle in their ar 15s. that could just be them with shit builds but i still need to do more research. my current understanding is that 300 is better at holding a trajectory out of a shorter barrel, say 14 inches and lower, than a 556. i have no insight on either in terms of subsonic rounds and cycling though.

i'm not sure if it'd help but i was planning to mod my ar with these components.

LMT L7Q3B bolt
Impact weapons QD endplate
W.A.R. upper
"H3" buffer weight
Wolff Buffer Spring
melonite gas tube
Sentry 7 Set Screw Adjustable Gas Block

then there was a noveske lo-pro 14.5" mid-length barrel but im still on the fence about it due to the whole caliber and subsonic thing.
>>
>>29380885
just get a SC hybrid
>>
>>29380991
you mean like a wrap? so you dont burn the shit out of your self and reduce the heat signature? post the video.
>>
>>29380993
Some of that you'll just have to figure out/tune on your personal build because ARs can vary a little. You do have a good idea of what's out there though to control the suppressor blowback (war upper, lmt bolt, etc.), so you're already ahead of the game. 300 is only worth it if you plan on putting a lot of subsonic .300 through your AR, otherwise you might consider going with 556 just for the cheaper ammo prices. Plus, if you decide on one caliber upper, you can always get another upper with the other caliber at a later date and swap them as you please (even if it's just a cheapy upper)
>>
File: last ned.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
last ned.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>29381031
Cant find a video, but found a picture similar to it.
>>
>>29381093
looks like a DIY wrap. so ya, not just for camo.
>>
>>29381089
yeah that's true. i could probably just get a cheap anderson for when i wanna shoot 223/556 rounds. i'd still have to change the bolt and barrel too but that might be fine if 300 subsonic does cycle fine. i wonder what they sound like going through a suppressor.
>>
>>29381112
>i'd still have to change the bolt and barrel too
I was thinking you could have two complete upper receivers and just pop the pins out and slap the other on when you want to change calibers. Maybe I'm misreading your comment.
>>
>>29381129
ah my bad. i only had one guard atm so i'd have to attach it. unless i just gripped the barrel...
>>
>>29381146
>unless i just gripped the barrel
lol, don't think that would be your best option. I guess what I'm saying is build up one nice upper dedicated for either .300blk or 556 (up to you which one you choose). Down the road, if you want to scratch the itch for the caliber that you opted not to go with, get a cheap ptac complete upper (or go all out and spend of bunch of money building a good one if you want) then you have the best of both worlds.
>>
>>29381165
i'd probably end up just switching out the bolt and barrel. there's not much i'd do to warrant a complete upper, except perhaps get my hands on a houlding CMX if it's ever in stock so i can put it alongside my MCSR V2. i do like taking shit apart though.

all in all it seems like the socom is the better choice since i won't be shooting pistol rounds through it anytime soon.
>>
>>29381199
>since i won't be shooting pistol rounds through it anytime soon.
Yea, that pretty much makes the decision for you. You might actually consider checking out the LMT MRP upper. It's a good option for changing barrels/calibers. It's gonna be on the heavier side of AR uppers though.
>>
>>29381218
damn thats cool. i dont mind the weight but im curious how it performs.
>>
>>29381267
>but im curious how it performs
Pretty high quality uppers. Weight is the main downside I can think of. Apparently have the potential to be pretty accurate too.
>>
on a side note how do you decide the guard:barrel ratio?
>>
>>29380993
um...are you just copying my set up?
i have it patented and you will have to pay me royalties to copy it.

also, use the gas tube that comes with the war upper, the melonite ones are a tiny bit too big and the adjustment lever will seize up when shooting.
>>
So my state just legalized supressors. Monitoring this thread
>>
>>29382962
what state?
>>
>>29383120
Iowa.
I guess I should clarify. It has passed house and senate, so it's not law yet. Our gov is a bro, so he will sign it. No idea on timetable between signing and how long it will take for tax stamps to flow.

Here is the fucking kicker. It is thr only NFA we have. So no SBRs. All the cool supressor shit I want to do is sbr related so I'm going to have to figure a work around.
>>
op.

the osprey is not rated for supersonic 300blk.

the specwar 762is 119db with subsonics 300blk and 132 with supersonic 300blk.
>>
>>29383280
If you permanently affix the suppressor and the OAL is at the limit, you're good to go.
>>
File: Img8182485_n[1].jpg (97 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Img8182485_n[1].jpg
97 KB, 720x540
>>29380885
Yes, when it comes to silencing Marines, the Osprey is hard to beat
>>
Hey guys what is your opinion on this? Legit groundbreaking stuff or just overhyped?

Actual demonstration at 3:20

https://youtu.be/DCzo1z4EcLg
>>
>>29384055
very expensive. $1600
looks like a solution to a problem i dont really have....

but an inonvative design if it works
>>
>>29384055
The guy behind the whole thing left the company and started his own thing because of company drama
>>
>>29384761
what is his new gig called?
>>
>>29383988
Ouch
>>
>>29384821
Organization of Strategic Sciences
Yes, it is also called OSS
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/02/22/russ-oliver-resigns/
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.