[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scout Rifles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: scout-rifle-still-relevant.png (681 KB, 1057x411) Image search: [Google]
scout-rifle-still-relevant.png
681 KB, 1057x411
Pic related; would like you guys to discuss that topic. I'm thinking of buying a scout rifle for hunting/range shooting ( they seem cool yet outdated ) but am not really sure which companies make good scout rifles, if they are worth buying ( or even renting ) and how they hold up in weather. The thought of your scope being so far forward is also interesting to me and I'd like to hear what those who have experience with that set-up think of it.
>>
>>29370150
I think you should get a cap that says "scout" (or perhaps wanker) written on it, and get a .22 bolt action.

That way you can have a "scout rifle" and its cheap.
>>
What caliber are you planning on getting it in?
>>
>>29370150
It really depends on what I can find. NATO 5.56 is cheap if bought in bulk but I'm really more concerned about having a quality rifle over the caliber it fires.
>>
>>29370220
Isn't the scout rifle concept based around .308?
>>
>>29370150
30-06
High caliber land one round well placed and move to next target
Scout rifle is only relevant at ranges where your not worried about people firing back.
>>
File: steyr-scout.png (60 KB, 806x150) Image search: [Google]
steyr-scout.png
60 KB, 806x150
>>29370374
I know the Steyr Scout that Jeff Cooper ( the biggest promotor and arguably the inventor behind the scout rifle concept ) helped develop is chambered for .308 and Cooper ( according to Wikipedia ) apparently defined the rifle as...

>"unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lb); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 pounds) the maximum acceptable.
>length of 1 meter (39 inches) or less.
>forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2 to 3 power. Scope not mandatory.
>ghost ring auxiliary iron sights: a rear sight consisting of a receiver-mounted large-aperture thin ring, and typically a square post front sight.
>"Ching" or "CW" sling.
>A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62×51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces...
>Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 meters/yards (3 shot groups).

These features dictated short, thin barrels, synthetic stocks, and bolt actions. Other optional features included a retractable bipod, detachable magazines, a butt magazine, and an accessory rail for lights and other attachments. The addition of some of these features often render the rifle technically not a scout as originally defined, but this has come to be accepted by many as still conforming to the spirit if not the letter of the concept."
>>
File: 6804.jpg (7 KB, 500x196) Image search: [Google]
6804.jpg
7 KB, 500x196
I plan getting the lipsey ruger gunsite between now and when my can gets in. I cant shoot very far where im at anyways so hitting something at 300 yards isnt really an issue.
>>
>>29370632
I take it you've had experience with the Ruger Gunsite Scout then; maybe tried it at a range. If I'm right can you tell me about your experiences with it?
>>
I like the idea too, but it is outdated. It should still be a decent, though not exceptional, hunting rifle. I'd still like one, but can't justify the cost. Savage had the most affordable off the shelf, but Mossberg has an MVP Scout now I think. I don't think any of the off the shelf rifles met the weight requirement after a scope was added though.

How the fuck can I easily get a semi auto AR loaded with 30 rounds under 6 pounds, while a bolt action with maybe 10 rounds weighs 8?
>>
File: mossberg-mvp-scout.png (149 KB, 838x770) Image search: [Google]
mossberg-mvp-scout.png
149 KB, 838x770
>>29370859
That is true, they do have one and you can buy it with or without a scope. That having been said after doing some google/youtube searches I've found most of the results are actually for the MVP Patrol. The rifle itself looks nice and I'd be interested in reading or watching reviews on the rifle.
>>
>>29370859

Difference in caliber and recoil will need a heaver rifle. A 7lbs rifle firing .308 is handy, but recoil is less than pleasant.

Now I kind of want a lightweight 18" .243 or 6.5 CM with a 2-7x30 optic though.
>>
It seems like hickok45 has a good number of review and/or shooting videos on scout rifles and rifles similar to the concept of scout rifles...

https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45/search?query=scout
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 960x720
I'm in touch with Scout Industries to make a line of scout mounts for pic related. They've responded, saying that they are interested, but they haven't been able to find a cheap, shitty SVT-40 to play with and develop on, and they don't fancy paying $1800 for one. I'm gonna do my best to provide them with any specs they need.
>>
>>29370974
Sure, but all the reviews' gripes were about it being in .223, not having a foward-mount for a scope, and having a leaf sight halfway down the gun. All of these were remedied by the MVP Scout.
>>
File: scout308.png (225 KB, 550x322) Image search: [Google]
scout308.png
225 KB, 550x322
its a good rifle. id like to get a custom dial from leupold so i can try and shoot at 6-700.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.