[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings /k/, newfag here. I recently got these guns from my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (920 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
920 KB, 2592x1936
Greetings /k/, newfag here. I recently got these guns from my grandmother. They are a bit rusty since they have been stored in the attic ever since my grandfather died, so I could use some tips on how to restore them to their former glory.
>>
>>29368389
Those are basically useless pictures to show condition. Need to see the metal bits.

Those are ww2 era guns, bottom is a k98 and I'm pretty sure the top is a krag. Decent pieces. Don't restore. Just clean them as best you can and regularly oil them.
>>
Is this another "look at these rare firearms, I'll ruin them and take pictures for /k/, wait they're not actually rare" threads?
>>
take more pictures- anything that looks like words or markings, take a pic of it and post them
>>
>>29368389

I'll take the 98k off your hands for you, no charge.
>>
They're old rifles so just give them a heavy dose of oil regularly and wiping. The rust will start to fade out. Don't try to steel wool/brush them, best case scenario you fuck something up.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
The Mauser seems to be in best shape. Rust seems to be mostly on the outside, and the interior looks okay.
>>
>>29368501
>Mauser
confirmed for trolling, no one mentioned Mauser.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
The krag seems worse, and the bolt is pretty rusty because it was stored with the bolt in the backward position. Dont know how to remove the bolt, bevause the backsight is in the way.
>>
>>29368518

Confirmed for retarded; the gun was already identified and he never indicated he didn't know what they were in the first place.
>>
>>29368518
Quit jumping the shark.
>>
File: image.jpg (939 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
939 KB, 2592x1936
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>
>>29368589

Just look up gun rust removal online. Try not to fuck up the bluing.
>>
File: image.jpg (743 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
743 KB, 2592x1936
Year and logo on the krag
>>
File: Norge_Youth_scouts_Kar98k.jpg (116 KB, 693x525) Image search: [Google]
Norge_Youth_scouts_Kar98k.jpg
116 KB, 693x525
The Kar.98k in Norwegian service was re-chambered for .30-'06 Springfield (7.62x63mm) to use cheap surplus US ammo available after WW2 ended. Easy to find ammo for it.

As for the Krag, it looks like a Model 1925 sniper's rifle, but it could just be a plain Model 1894 long rifle fitted with the sniper's rear sight.

http://candrsenal.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-military-krag-jorgensen-rifles/
>>
File: 161667.jpg (51 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
161667.jpg
51 KB, 880x660
Just rub them down with an oily rag.
Don't use steel wool or rust remover, those will fuck the bluing.
Pic related is rem oil. Can be bought at Walmart for like $3. Put some on a rag and get to rubbin.
>>
File: i8hilQc.png (143 KB, 672x434) Image search: [Google]
i8hilQc.png
143 KB, 672x434
>>29368928
>Kar-98K in 30-06
bruh MUH DICK
>>
It's expensive and designed for aircraft but if you can get some Corrosion X it'll actually remove corrosion on its own.
I use corrosion x on aircraft all the time, and I got a can of it at the house, but I've always used it on the company's dime.
>>
>>29369012
Btw, I went to the corrosion x website, and I didn't know they had a product for guns.
But it looks like that it doesn't actually remove corrosion like the original Corrosion X product does.
>>
>>29368958
If you get 0000 steel wool and go lightly it will take the rust off with oil but won't fuck the bluing.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.