[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought a revolver today. I'm a broke college student
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13
File: Taurus83-1.jpg (443 KB, 929x622) Image search: [Google]
Taurus83-1.jpg
443 KB, 929x622
I bought a revolver today.

I'm a broke college student so honestly I'm wondering if I made a bad decision by buying it.

Pic Related
It's this gun but not as neat looking
>>
>>29353724
if its really like that gun good job. if its taurus, windicator,armscor, or rg you fucked up bad
>>
>>29353724
Appears to be an old Taurus.

Revolver field check.
Take the gun. Ensure that it's unloaded.
With cylinder open, check for any play of the crane forward/back on it's mounting point to the frame. There should be little to none.
Close cylinder. Note rotation of the cylinder side to side when locked in. At this stage a degree of play is acceptable, but it should be completely impossible for it to "skip" over to the next chamber without manipulating the trigger or hammer.
Cock hammer. Check for any play with hammer cocked. Minor side-to-side is ok, but not ideal. ANY forward/backward play is bad. If you can "push off" (drop the hammer) without pulling the trigger that's a major failure.
Check for cylinder play with hammer cocked. It should be significantly tighter than it was before.
Lower the hammer by pulling the trigger. Keep it held down all the way. This is full lockup. There should be almost no play in the cylinder at all, but a very minuscule amount is acceptable. Any degree of play at this stage means the cylinder is not totally in line with the barrel at the time of firing and some lead is being shaved by the forcing cone.
Repeat cylinder lockup test on all 6 chambers. They could all be varying degrees of tight/loose.

Repeat lockup test periodically. You'll notice if it starts to get significantly more loose.

Also if it's a .357, I advise primarily running .38 to minimize stress on the frame and workings.
>>
S&w? Good on you!

Ruger, same as above

Taurus? :(. You can do better! A lot better.

Charter? You said your going to school? Do they teach reading there?

Windicator? Windawhat?
>>
>>29353800
Correction, on hammer check test backward play might be normal due to over-travel. I'm talking nonsense there.
>>
>>29353724
>browses /k/
>doesn't consult /k/ before purchase
>>
What's wrong with Taurus revolvers?

They're cheap and work just fine.
>>
>>29353845
Brazilian Taurus Semi Auto pistols fire themselves

Thats where they get the universal hate from pretty much everyone on /k/
>>
>>29353851
Yeah, I know that. i'm brazilian myself but There's nothing wrong with Taurus revolvers
>>
>>29353800
I just finished performing this test
Almost no looseness on anything at all.
The crane doesnt budge, the cylinder locks up just fine with the hammer pulled back and when not.
The hammer doesnt move whatsoever when cocked or uncocked.
I did the cylinder lock up test and there is almost no play on the cylinder either.

Thanks for the advice anon. Is there any video or followup I can watch to assure my results?
>>
>>29353894
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube.
>>
>>29353913
I used this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMOGVWB-QHw video as a guide as well and everything checks out.
I tried to be really critical seeing as I bought a cheap used revolver, and all of the tests he suggested I saw this gun pass.
>>
I'm pretty sure the old Taurus and Rossi guns are solid.

My cousin has been shooting his Rossi 357 for 15+ yrs with no issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (777 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
777 KB, 2448x2448
Wondering if you can dry fire a s&w model 13-3 and it won't mess anything up. And would .38+p be fine in it, think I read or heard some where ones made after 1955 should be fine for it.

Any advice you could give me on this new gun would be great. Suggests for IWB or holsters in general.
>>
>>29353809
What's wrong with Charter arms? Was wanting too get a one of the older or classic style bulldog .44 special.
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 1078x544) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 1078x544
>>29353809
What about Colt senpai?
>>
>>29354430
Colt ranks above shit&weak. He didn't list it cause they aren't usually cheap
>>
>>29353724
My second handgun was a .357 Taurus revolver, I traded it for a 9mm Sigma. That revolver has been dragged all around the American west, dropped down a 30' cliff by an idiot friend (only damage was the grip screw broke and the grips came off) and generally abused for the last 15 years. It is reasonably accurate, and has functioned perfectly. I can't say enough good things about it. It's still my go to backcountry gun as long as there aren't grizzlys around.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 644x484) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 644x484
How are the Astra revolvers? I hear good things about there guns even though there extremely cheap in price.
>>
File: charter_44_shroud.jpg (17 KB, 400x209) Image search: [Google]
charter_44_shroud.jpg
17 KB, 400x209
>>29354267
Pic related, sights are on a separate shroud on the barrel that's glued in place to save money. There have been reports of the shroud coming off when shooting.
>>
>>29353756
Wait i thought windicators were not that bad. As in much better than a tuarus if you want a cheap beater revolver?
>>
Any wheel gun imo is a good buy. I've got a shitty 30 year old Rossi that has never failed me.
>>
File: dry firing while high.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
dry firing while high.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29355684
Pic related was a Windicator that an anon bought new a while back.
>>
>>29355253
total junk like all astra products and just say no to rossi
>>
>>29355645
i have had 2 44 special bulldogs they are excellent pistols. i have never seen a shroud come off. then again any stupid motherfucker that takes a belly gun and expects to shoot 10,000 rounds with out a problem is a fucking moron. for the price, size and caliber you cant ask for more firepower
>>
>>29353845
Taurus has improved their quality somewhat but a lot of their older guns are sketchy. Fit/finish is loose and metal treatment is not ideal.

Sounds like OPs gun is good to go. If it shoots fine and goes through the operations without any problems (like cylinder binding up, caused by cheap metal expanding under heat) then it'll be a good gun for years to come.
However, since the metal quality is known to vary, I recommend checking it out periodically to see how well it's holding up. Really anyone with a revolver should do so from time to time.
>>
>>29355785
>i have had 2 44 special bulldogs they are excellent pistols
What year? From my understanding the 20+ year old ones (or maybe it was older than that) were actually good. The shroud on the newer ones is plastic by the way.
>>
>>29355743
What in the fuck? Is this for real? How is that even possible?
>>
>>29355879
At least mid 80's models both of them the were solid steel shrouds. I shot plenty of buffalo bore 44 special out of them and both digested it just fine. Like i said i never put ten thousand rounds thru them as they are belly guns. When the corbon loads came out for them i though god him self had made the loads because they were the first rounds i shot that truly shot point of aim with a fixed sight gun. I'm pretty sure there are guys on here that would say french MR73's are not tough enough for their kind of shooting. I would highly recommend the charters from the early years of production as i have never seen a plastic new model bulldog
>>
>>29355938
yeah after reading online i d'ont think they have plastic barrel shrouds but rather plastic trigger guards
>>
>>29353724
It's a great start. Blast away with .38 special. I love my cheap ass beat up .38.
>>
>>29355913
The problem was timing issues that would cause the cylinder to over rotate if you pulled the trigger to hard/fast.
>>
>>29356081
Ok, makes sense...still insanely fucked up.
>>
>>29353833
>letting memesters spend your money for you
>>
>>29354226
Isn't the model 13 a .357?

I ask, cause mine is.
>>
>>29354489
Try finding a colt.

Where I'm at, finding one under 1000 is harder than finding a unicorn.
>>
File: BE_ADVISED.png (131 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
BE_ADVISED.png
131 KB, 304x304
>>29353724
>I'm a broke college student so honestly I'm wondering if I made a bad decision by buying it.
>College student

I hope you don't stay on campus in a dormitory.
>>
>>29357333
Yes it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (275 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275 KB, 1334x750
>>29357359
Try online, got a incredible shape(in function) Colt detective special for 500 in all, shipping and everything. Same place has or has had things like troopers, agents and Lawmans from colt for amazing prices. Most costly out of those was a 899 trooper.
>>
>>29357841
No I live in a house.

>>29355849
Thanks again for the advice btw. I'll make sure to keep an eye on these things
>>
>>29353833

>implying anyone takes /k/ seriously
>implying people who seriously want gun advice instead of Rhodesia memes wouldn't go to a proper gun forum.
>>
>>29360270
Look, I've been here long enough to know when I'm being meme'd on and when its serious advice. Wumbologist already gave me some sound advice as far as checking the condition of my gun, and I plan to keep an eye on the gun using the checks that many different sources say to do.

I know a lot of fedora sporting asshats will say garbage like "get a glock because revolvers are outdated garbage" or "if its not a ruger or S&W then its absolute trash". I really just wanted to know if it was a solid working gun and I found my answer. Going to a forum like arfcom or anything like that will just get me the same results but with more snobs telling me to just buy an AR or don't buy anything at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 686x888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 686x888
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 686x888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 686x888
>>
>>29362086
Why do you have to remind me we'll never get the MP412? Guess I'm sobbing in my sleep again.
>>
>>29360649
I understand your frustration, but the soul of this place died years ago. I venture back less often to see if there's anything good, but I'm always disappointed. Then I choose a shit/bait/howdidyoulearnhowtoturnonacomputer thread and derail it with lewd Not-Pone and it brightens my spirit. Would you like a lewd not-pone?
>>
>>29354489
Haha no. They are much more expensive because they are aesthetic collectors items that are no longer produced, they have:
>weaker cylinder lock
>weaker frames prone to damage from shooting magnum rounds (especially the Python despite its size, would never happen to a 586 or gp100)
>cylinder lock counterintuitive
>cylinders rotate in reverse from every other revolver

Sure worth all that extra money
>>
>>29360649
FYI fedora sporting asshats sit around and bitch about getting shitty revolvers instead of just buying a glock.
>>
File: smithandwesson 649.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
smithandwesson 649.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>29353724
When I was a broke ass college student the only gun I had was a snub nose revolver (also a Taurus). You can arguably do better, but under those conditions you did fine. Taurus may be spotty but their revolvers are pretty nice. A revolver is a fine poorfag/first gun
>>
>>29362925
I have the same gun but it's chrome(not nickel but chromed stainless) model 49. Love the thing.
>>
>>29362925
well thanks. ill probably get something like a glock 26 or something soon enough anyways

>>29362781
i guess thats true

>>29362217
No I just want this site to retain some worth, even if that sounds impossible
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 686x888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 686x888
>>
>>29364612
whats with all these really strange designs

some of them are cool like the AEK-906 but whats with the Zarya
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.