[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a bullet hits you in the arms or legs and it DOESN'T
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: _20160322_200611.jpg (375 KB, 1071x1091) Image search: [Google]
_20160322_200611.jpg
375 KB, 1071x1091
If a bullet hits you in the arms or legs and it DOESN'T hit an artery, can it still kill you?

Please respond.
>>
Yes. No instantly though.
>>
>>29349271
What is sepsis,tetnis, infection, pneumonia
>>
Lead poisoning. Infection. Blood loss at a much slower rate
>>
>>29349289

This. If blood loss isn't a concern, infection and necrotic tissue will be.
>>
>>29349271
assuming you don't exsanguinate (bleed out), you may become infected, the wound could become contaminated, et c. all of which may take hours to days to kill you.

if it's something like the muscle of the calf or through the hand or foot, it's survivable for days or a week as the extremities often have few life threatening injuries that can happen to them short of just bleeding out.
>>
also if the bullet is still in your appendage it can potentially still cause further structural harm.
>>
>>29349271
And in very rare cases you could die of straight up shock if the round is powerful enough, like a 20mm blowing your arm off and transferring enough force to your heart to stop it.
>>
>>29349271

If you have ND'd into a limb go to a hospital retard, don't ask /k/.
>>
Depends on what caliber. A .50 cal may miss any arteries, but even if you get grazed it could still blow your leg off.
>>
Yes, hydrostatic shock.

Joke callibers like 22lr, 9mm or 45 acp can't though.
>>
>>29349408
What if I ate some cosmoline on a drunken bet?
>>
>>29349442
you're a joke and your "knowledge" is comedy gold.
>>
ITT: OP has accidentally shot himself in the arm or leg and is asking /k/ for advice.
>>
>>29349442
Hydrostatic shock is a myth.

Tissues that aren't hit by the permanent or temporary wound channel will be unaffected. The whole "Bullet hitting a leg causes shockwaves to follow your arteries and give you an aneurysm" thing is bullshit.
>>
File: baitcreed.jpg (83 KB, 1200x1330) Image search: [Google]
baitcreed.jpg
83 KB, 1200x1330
>>29349402
>>
So what happens if hypothetically I have shot myself through shoulder joint? Like where my it meets my arm and torso.
>>
>>29349447
Rejoice slavshit fan! Cosmoline is non-toxic
>>
>>29349577
If you hit the bone, you are in deep shit. The wound is likely much larger internally than it looks like on the outside because the bone will fragment, and each piece will make it's own little wound channel. You may have also nicked a major artery and not realize it since you're bleeding internally. If you survive, without medical attention you will likely lose mobility in that arm, as it will not heal properly unless set by a doctor.
>>
>>29349577
Subclavian and brachial artery. The nerve plexus hit will likely make the arm incapacitated, injury ranging from loss of some function to necessitating amputation.
>>
This is OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI
>>
>>29349548
Well,

You're a retard.

Please explain a balloon poppoing when a bullet travels through it
A watermelon exploding when shot
A can explodimng when shot
And a human head exploding when shot

>videos of bullets underwater prove hydrostratic shock is no myth

Fucking tard, seriously my expression when thinking about your logic behind this post
>>
>>29349681
Those are not hydrostatic shock. Those are the temporary wound cavity. I agree the temporary wound cavity exists.

Hydrostatic shock is the theory that a gunshot wound will impart a shockwave in your arteries, and when that wave reaches the capillaries in your brain or lungs, it bursts them. This idea was brought on by noticing some victims of gunshots died via aneurysm within a few hours of being shot.

It's a bullshit explanation because it assumes some crazy shockwave that's never been seen, instead of just assuming the aneurysm was caused by the massive adrenaline spike and high stress associated with being shot.
>>
>>29349736
This guy gets it
>>
>>29349305

Lead poisoning isn't really a concern m8
>>
If a bullet doesn't hit you in a vital organ the only way you're going to die is exsanguination.
>>29349289
I'll take things measured in hours and days rather than minutes for 1600, Alex.
>>
>>29349289
>tetnis
kek
its tetanus you inbred dickhead
>>
>>29349736

Medfag here, aneurysms is simply an enlargement of an artery. This only kills you if it pops, gunshot wounds do not cause aneurysms. i'd imagine it's embolisms that could kill you, there are blood clots that have brkoen off from damaged tissue in blood vessels that travel to crucial parts of the anatomy (pulmonary arteries, arteries in the brain) and cause a blockage in the flow of blood leading to ischemia (death/damage of tissue). Major gunshot trauma could cause stroke, MI infarction especially in people already vulnerable of these conditions.
>>
>>29350003

Soz about bad grammar, on the phone.
>>
>>29350003
Point is, it's not some mystical shockwave following the victim's arteries. It's mundane stuff we already understand.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.