[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your sitting on your pc at home when suddenly something bright
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 37
File: china-nuke.jpg (20 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
china-nuke.jpg
20 KB, 350x249
Your sitting on your pc at home when suddenly something bright and loud comes through your window. You wait until it passes and you look out, only to see a massive mushroom cloud coming from downtown.

What do you do?
>>
File: 1452109839189.gif (1 MB, 628x424) Image search: [Google]
1452109839189.gif
1 MB, 628x424
>>29348612
laugh, city slickers got what was coming
>>
>>29348612
Get in Goodmans bunker
>>
>>29348612
Well I would certainly wonder what made that cloud, but it wouldn't disturb me. I know it's not a nuke. If a nuke went off downtown while I was sitting here I would never see the flash.
>>
>>29348612
Go with it
>>
>>29348612
Whackcha gonna do whe. The worlds on fire
Ima light a blunt and keep getting higher.
>>
Shitpost.
>>
File: what203.jpg (28 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
what203.jpg
28 KB, 500x555
>>29348612
Panic
>>
>>29348612
duck and cover, duh
>>
>>29348612
Luckily my bedroom window faces away from the most likely targets in my area. First thing I do is check my cellphone/the internet. After that, go outside and see if there's anything visible. If shit's down, I start carrying survival supplies down to the basement. Water, food, shelter, & radio. After that, I'll grab my guns & ammo, a few things from my car, head down to the basement. I'm not too worried about what's in the fridge/freezer right now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

as loud as I can from the living room stereo with windows open
>>
>downtown is miles and miles away
>no one would bomb downtown because its in the middle of bumfuck nowhere flyoversville anyways

feels good not being a citycuck
>>
Wonder how in the hell my small southern town suddenly has a "downtown" worth nuking

Then grab gats and raid the local stores for more rice and canned beans
>>
Fill up my bathtubs with water, start putting water into every container I have.
Construct makeshift fallout shelter in basement.
Grab food and hunker down for next 48 hours
>>
>>29348612
>5 minutes outside honolulu

die
>>
>>29348612
The standard thing to do is to place my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye
>>
position myself in a way so my ashes imprint into the floor below me so future generations can reflect and remember.
>>
>>29352484

Yeah, I would be jackin it, and my schlong would create a comically long shadow.
>>
>>29348612
>Live in town of 3500 people
>Downtown is a square a mile down

Probably I'd go like

>OH FUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK

before the atomic hellfire vaporized me
>>
Don't live in a very big city. Dallas would go first, so I would be getting my ass outta there, and I'm taking all the Dr Pepper with me, because fuck Louisiana and it'll potentially be my survival/prosperity in post apocalypse Texas.
>>
Assuming S just HTF, I'd first try to get into contact with my family and girlfriend. Since S just HTF, the phones wouldn't work, so I'd grab my guns, some extra clothes, the contents of my fire safe, and a small box of personal shit I keep and haul ass. Grab the lady friend, then get to what I call "the compound" which is actually just my dad's farm. Total time passed: 45 to 60 minutes from boom (assuming I give her 20 minutes to get her shit together; we've had a conversation like this before, actually).

Absolutely no point in planning past that if I don't know what's actually going on.
>>
nuke probably would head towards base, not downtown, but anyway, still fucked.
if the atomic hellfire didn't kill me within the hour i'd off myself.
call me a pussy but I do NOT want to play real life Fallout.
>>
I understand this is a stupid question, but I'm going for it anyway.

Is there any physically possible way to construct an above-ground structure to survive a nuclear blast nearby? It can have walls as thick as nuclear missiles are long made of the strongest metal known to humanity, so long as this structure is capable of standing afterwards.

One design consideration I had was to build what are essentially walls of equal height around it (which are allowed to fail) to absorb some of the force, assuming this insanity was allowed to continue, would that be an effective method of actually absorbing any force?

It's all for fiction, so ultimately I can just handwave it if I really want to (I'm already handwaving the cost, need for such a thing, and construction process, and probably the capability of ground to support the weight of the thing.) but if there's a way to keep it within the realm of physical possibility that would be preferable.

Is there anything I can use to toy with this? (Like some way of interpolating the distances at which houses can get away with broken windows into results for some hypothetical superstructure)

Minor note: "above ground" in this case is a structure with an above-ground component, if a large sub-surface component would yield extra strength then it's more than acceptable.)
>>
File: al capone.jpg (33 KB, 660x433) Image search: [Google]
al capone.jpg
33 KB, 660x433
>>29348612
>Call up closest buds of mine
>Gear up
>go innawoods
>>
Sink a bong, then have my last cigarette
>>
>>29348612
>implying you wouldn't be blinded by the nuclear flash
>implying the glass wouldn't shatter into your eyes as you look out the window
>implying the blast wouldn't deafen you
>implying you wouldn't get burned by the heat wave

What I'm trying to say is you shouldn't just look out the window when you see a flash.
>>
>>29348703
pretty much this
>>
I'd probably continue masturbating.
>>
>call my ex
>CYKA BLYAT
>throw on plate carrier and belt
>sling AK over shoulder and hug my German shepherd

I'm too close to downtown to possibly survive.
>>
I'm at least 30 miles away from downtown san diego.

Wouldn't give a fuck.
>>
File: chink nuke SD.jpg (301 KB, 1520x876) Image search: [Google]
chink nuke SD.jpg
301 KB, 1520x876
>>29353628
you'd get to watch a pretty fireball
>>
>>29353135
> survive a nuclear blast nearby
define "nearby"
>>
>>29353690
I decided to leave it to interpretation, but anything from say 20 miles to a direct hit.

(Similarly, the actual weapon type is left up to interpretation as well.)

Answering both questions, the answer is essentially "As close and powerful as you could possibly get a purpose-designed building to withstand."
>>
Shit post as a tormented spirit because I'd be a pile of ash.
>>
>>29353717
Cheyenne Mountain was supposed to be able to take direct/near-hits.

You need a literal mountain, a blast tunnel/door and to put all of your shit on giant springs to handle the resultant earthquake.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 400x327) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 400x327
Start building this in the basement.

>Tfw I've already got a head start.
>My bar and safe form half of my shelter.

At least I'll have something to drink for the apocalypse!
>>
>>29353717
A few miles away is relatively easy, compared to NORAD anyway.

You might be able to handwave something like a submarine bolted to the ground -- 1 atm = ~15 psi = 33 feet of water pressure, though there's a slight difference between a gradual descent and a sudden blast wave.
>>
>>29352654
I live about 12 miles from downtown Dallas, as the crow flies.
It would be pretty warm outside. Assuming the flash didn't blind me, I would immediately fill the bathtub and other large containers with potable water, and run around the house locking doors/windows and sealing any possible air leaks with cans of spray foam, also load all guns and block entrances to the home. I understand if you can wait at least a week or two before going outside, the fallout is significantly less dangerous. No point trying to drive out of my suburban neighborhood or up the highway, shit will just be clogged to hell with idiot drivers and possibly criminals.
>>
I wonder if the Royal Navy base in Portsmouth would be nuked. It's probably far away enough for me to be fine. Guess I'd get in the car, go get girlfriend, hide out on the farm with some beer until it all blows over
>>
>>29353787
Lucky you. Can't have big cellars/basements here. Highest point on the island is 5metres above sea level.

I guess I could sit in the wine cellar and cry
>>
File: 1421917472804.jpg (41 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1421917472804.jpg
41 KB, 400x400
Probably shitpost about it on /k/
>lol, looks like someone tried out their new Glock brand Glock downtown
>>
>>29348703
If I was at work it would land on top of me if not, I would die about zero seconds later. Less than 2km from center of city.
>>
>>29353964
Sir, this is very nice indeed, if I say so myself.
>>
Begin playing Nuclear, as I record the blast so I could have a better music video than that shit MGSV was. After that put on an eyepatch, load up a vape, and declare myself owner of Mother Base. 9 years from now it'd be the world The Boss always envisioned.
>>
>>29353020
Are you Cody?
>>
>>29353964
kek
>>
>>29348612
>Duck under my desk
> survive tsar bomb
>profit
>>
>>29348612
die because I live near a major military fort and would be caught in the initial blast wave.
>>
>>29348612
Wonder what the fuck is happening in bumfuck Arkansas. Did somebody finally get tired of Walmart HQ?
>>
>>29348612
Jerk off cause Chicago just got fucked.
>>
File: ev damke.jpg (1 MB, 1200x793) Image search: [Google]
ev damke.jpg
1 MB, 1200x793
get my airsoft gear, go down to the local britbong gun store and find the best gun they have, find my slavic friend that lives near me, and then drink vodka as the apocalypse happens
>>
Probably finish jacking it. Then migrate away from zone. Grab SKS, go innawoods
>>
die
>>
>>29353628

Sup, Ty?
>>
>>29353889
Actually, an underground wine cellar is a decent fallout shelter if you can control the airflow.

I mean, besides being underground you've also got a supply of drinks that will last you a couple weeks. Most of which you probably won't remember.
>>
>>29353135
Domes. The dome shape is basically the strongest against external forces. Shockwaves tend to just roll over the exterior and direct impacts get distributed throughout the structure. During the Cold War Albania built thousands of concrete dome bunkers from 2-man pillboxes to house-sized command centers. These were about as common as lamp posts in some areas. In theory they'd function as defensive positions or bomb shelters. Their design usually had the floor a few feet below ground so low firing ports could be operated from a standing position inside.

Nowadays they collect stagnant water and hinder new construction. But decades ago, almost every home had a bunker assigned to it in case of war.
>>
File: himegoto.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
himegoto.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>29348612
Be upset cuz my prostate stimulator is suppose to arrive today and that may delay it.
>>
Hard to say op. I'd Consider raiding my local grocery store, but the chances of absorbing lots of rads and then dieing sound pretty lame and my knowledge of such things is quite limited.

>murder my room mates dog for meat
>murder my annoying next door neighbor cause he's an asshole and pilfer his house for supplies
>see if cell phone still works to call up fellow /k/omrades to see if they are still alive
>seal up windows with duct tape
>wish I had a bathtub to fill with water so I use any container I can find
>grab my BOB out of my car
>hunker down to see if the apocalypse is happening or if it's just one nuke detonation
>hope I didn't absorb to much radiation when I went outside to go murder my neighbor
>pray to the cube for strength
>rejoice that many commiefornians died because fuck this state

In the even of all out nuclear war I'd try to escape to the mountain community a few miles away from me after I murdered my roomies and my neighbor while I hope for the best/die
>>
Im already dead especially if its a dirty warhead
>>
File: hyrax.jpg (95 KB, 658x431) Image search: [Google]
hyrax.jpg
95 KB, 658x431
Fuck I'm Cape Town for vac.
>Parents are out right now so they probably won't make it back.
>hunker down in the pantry for 48h
>fuck off up Table Mountain with all the clothes and water I can find, my Swiss army knife and a map
>find best bro somewhere on the mountain
>eat pic related for survival
>bound to meet some hippy who is all about "surviving off the land man"
>convince them to join me on a journey 1000km East to a safe location I know about.
>avoid the Cape Flats at all cost.
>Solve mysteries and get into crazy situations
>>
>>29355151
What exactly will you need a Swiss Army knife for up Table Mountain? Maybe take a dassie down to Long and have them cook it for you, or better yet, die in the inferno that will be Greenpoint.
>>
>>29348703
Same, too close to town for a nuke not to incinerate me, so I'd assume it's just a missile. As such war has been declared, I grab my bugout bag and weapon and bike to the nearest woods which aren't all that far away either. Then I scavenge until order is restored or I'm killed by an invading army. Alternately till I die of old age but the last thing isn't as likely as the first two.
>>
>tfw 5 minute drive from Airbase
>tfw 15 minute drive from downtown of the second biggest city in my state
>marked with 2 nukes on that potential targets map
I wont even have enough time to realize what's going on
>>
Bug out to my uncles horse ranch
>>
>>29348612
My NG unit is supposed to be ready to roll within 6 hours of a nuclear emergency. But I'm not sure how I'd be able to do that, seeing as I can see NYC from my house, and depending on the size of the nuke, my armory itself could be in the blast radius.

I'd probably throw on a gasmask, grab my AR, and ride my motorcycle as far away as possible if I'm not dead immediately. Maybe I can find a triage being set up somewhere safer.
>>
>>29357550
>seeing as I can see NYC from my house
>depending on the size of the nuke
>armory itself could be in the blast radius

That is some fallout 4 shit right there. Like those military bunkers in the sea of radiation. God speed anon I will pick up your rifu and continue the fight.
>>
>>29348612
>What do you do?
Immediately begin trolling and shitposting in the nuke threads on /k/

Then once night falls, I commence human hunting
>>
There haven't been any important targets around me since before I was born, so I'll just assume some snackbar really had it out for Sacramento. Maybe I'll go on /pol/ for the extreme shitposting.
>>
>>29357584
You'll find me pretty easily. I'll be the one body in North Jersey with an AR near it
>>
Is there anyway to make a homemade makeshift air filtration system to defend against the fallout?
>>
>>29353964
This.

Die as I lived. Memeing.
>>
>>29357651
Buy a gasmask and a hazmat suit. That's really gonna be the most convenient and affordable way to protect yourself. Depending on your distance to the blast, you may or may not wanna get far far away. Don't go innawoods, though. Look for Army triage centers
>>
>>29348612
>Someone the nearby city
>It is a random city with no importance whatsoever

I would laugh. That was a waste of a good nuke! The bomb itself probably costed more than the whole city!
>>
>>29348612
>What do you do?
Be surprised as shit that a town of under 200 was high enough priority to nuke.
I'd start to really question what the hell was hiding in that town that I'd never seen in my life.
>>
>>29357665
>live by the meme
>die by the meme
>>
Well I live in the middle of nowhere, so I probably wouldn't even see the fireball. Plus coastal home and onshore prevailing wind makes me immune to fallout. So I'm assuming I'm not at home.
>Grab SHTF kit.
>Fill car with food and jerry cans full of water and fuel.
>Drive upwind to remote area.
>Fuck my family, they can look out for themselves.
>>
>>29353717
You would need to construct what would amount to a concrete structure with walls many miles thick to withstand a direct contact explosion with a nuclear weapon.
>>
Laugh, grab survival supplies, go to coast, hijack boat, flee to the Caribbean.
>>
>>29348612
say "God I hate Mondays..." before grabbing my RPK and hosing the ragheads on the roof of the opposite building before they can set off more of their "fireworks"
>>
I'd pack my standard-issue rucksack, change into my uniform, grab any canned food, toiletries etc. fill my canteens (FDF hands them out like candy so I have plenty), grab my military ID and hike to the local base some 3 miles from where I live (opposite direction from downtown btw)
>>
File: GENTLEMEN_I_LOVE_WAR.jpg (68 KB, 625x427) Image search: [Google]
GENTLEMEN_I_LOVE_WAR.jpg
68 KB, 625x427
>>29348612

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..."
>>
>>29358011
Surely there's a better material than concrete?
(Cost and practicality of assembly aren't factors)
>>
>>29357910
>i didnt choose the meme life
>the meme life chose me
>>
>>29361478
one foot of ablative material, one foot of titanium, one foot of lead

dome shape, with walls extending deep into bedrock
>>
>>29361478
I'd say reinforced concrete with layers of some suitable material to absorb the shockwave without absorbing/reacting to the radiation, then a good layer of copper or lead to block the radiation, add huge coil springs around the whole mess. Find someone to make/sell you a proper air filtration system and remember to reserve adequate space for your own water reservoir and human waste disposal (think dry toilets rather than water toilets)
>>
so lets say you are ~40-60 miles out of town and catch a flash out of the corner of your eye
lets also assume you didn't get showered in glass or debris
also lets assume there was some concrete or a hill directly between you and the blast so you didn't get an instant dose of cancer

step one?
close and seal all openings in your home, cover up fucking everything with duct tape
gather any food/drinks you have in the most interior/low room available and seal yourself in

in the first 24/48 hours the most dangerous radiation is falling from the sky in the form of dust and will settle after a day or two depending on weather(rain/wind)

after this you GTFO

if you further away from the blast or are upwind then GTFO immediately
>>
>>29351476
>Not having buckets of rice and dry beans already in your basement.
Shiggy diggy.
>>
>>29351476
post area of state, you would be surprised at the number of targets
>>
>>29353020
>Cody's lab onna 4chins
Mein negras.
>>
>>29353889
Red wine helps prevent the asorbtion of radioactive iodine isotopes.
>>
>>29351476
power grid (esp. power plants), water treatment plants, telecommunications hubs, chemical plants, any of these nearby?
>>
>>29353964
God Damn right!
>>29354286
Yes.
>>
File: 235834925042.gif (948 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
235834925042.gif
948 KB, 245x245
>>29348612
im close enough to the city to be killed instantly.

checkmate
>>
>>29354669
This, see
>>29361716

>>29354808
You could try prepping a little and not being a moocher along with the rest of your state.
>>
>>29357647
Keep up the fight, name fag. Bring freedom back to Jersey.
>>
>>29354178
He's not, but i am...

My response? 1oz 12g slug to the base of the skull.

I ain't trying to live in the post apocalyptic wasteland
>>
In terms of actual realistic above ground shelters, RAND concluded that building 200 psi rated aircraft shelters for the B-52 force was achievable. That's not good enough against close in ground bursts, but if you build away from any hard targets (and assuming it itself is not a target) then you could handily survive likely airbursts.
>>
File: 1438606432987.png (280 KB, 477x724) Image search: [Google]
1438606432987.png
280 KB, 477x724
>>29348612
Know it is Dover AFB. Put up thumb. Realize that was literally the last thing I would ever do.
>>
>>29353787
I like it. Time to go to good will and get some shit furniture to have this at the ready at all times.
>>
>>29348612
I'd be less than one km from it, so I'm already dead senpai
>>
>>29359621
just realized: I live in a pretty shitty town if SHTF; we have a chemical plant, a military base with a radar station, one of the most important railway hubs in the country, plus in the 100km radius there are power plants, three additional military bases, more transit hubs, highway strips designated as back-up airbases for military aircraft, all kinds of industry plus the nation's capital...so yeah, maybe not exactly nuke targets, but then again there's really nothing to nuke in my country, an airborne assault in a few key locations in the area would do about as good job fucking things up here, and for a much cheaper.
>>
>>29348631
seconded.

be relieved all the shitskins in NuwAwleens just got vaporized.
>>
>Implying they won't nuke the whole city
>Tfw El Paso
Probably should move to the side of the mountain that isn't shared with Ft. Bliss.
>>
>>29348612
Same thing I always say in these threads:
Id pick an interior room, hunker down with food and water for a couple weeks with my roommate.
Immediately after, assuming my truck still runs and/or is still there, Id load up the roommate and everything i dont want to leave behind and take him home. Then, run my truck out of gas on the way from here to Chicago looking for my brother and his wife. If I found them alive, I'd dedicate my life to keeping them safe if they wished it. If I didnt, I'd probably head back to Texas or go to New Mexico. I used to say that I'd probably an hero, but nah... I tried once when everything was less fucked up and it didnt work. If i have a purpose, then I need to stay and fulfill it.
>>
>>29361486
>My main man had two strikes and slipped
>got attested and flipped
>holla'd meme life and emptied a clip

In B4
>clip
Its a slightly modded Tupac lyric. Whadya expect?
>>
>>29361533
>dome shape
Out of curiosity, is there anywhere you can view the effect of an explosion on different basic shapes?

(i.e. cube, pyramid [both square and circular base], sphere, half-sphere/dome, etc.)
>>
>>29361533
The titanium will conduct enough heat to melt the lead. Concrete is the correct answer, although ablative material and some lead will cut the thickness requirement down some, I would still imagine you would need several hundred meters of concrete around and above you.
>>29361627
Better to dig a hole.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1620
>>29355382
Who /fucked/ here
>>
>>29354680
That's actually pretty neat
>>
File: 1448077723867.gif (23 KB, 600x834) Image search: [Google]
1448077723867.gif
23 KB, 600x834
>>29363189
The British one is pretty fun

CND had some slightly prettier maps, but they split Scotland and England into two different areas so pic related is the best I can show.
>>
File: 1438656393316.jpg (12 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
1438656393316.jpg
12 KB, 204x200
>>29363189
>right smack in the middle of a 500 warhead triangle
Its just god damn mountains here.

And maybe a listening station nearby....
>>
File: 1450972614338.jpg (95 KB, 1410x985) Image search: [Google]
1450972614338.jpg
95 KB, 1410x985
>>29363189
Yep, I'm moving out of the WA Tri-Cities.
>>
>>29348612
Downtown is 35 miles away. Idk much about nukes, but I feel like if I did survive the blast I'd be stuck with the flood of irradiated survivors fleeing the fallout.
>>
>>29363189
That map is shit/outdated/made up to get more $$$ out of gullible congress.

Pic whichever scenario sounds best to you, they are all true.
>>
>>29363995
Youre in tri cities?
Nigga im originally from Pasco.
>>
File: 1453145729107.png (50 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1453145729107.png
50 KB, 250x250
>>29348612
Walk into it.
I wish I was aborted.
>>
>>29364083
Kennewick here
>>
>>29364109
Still full of beaners?
>>
Hey Oppenheimer, do you think ~10 miles away from a major city is far enough to avoid death?
>>
>get my family in the basement
>get my wig out bag out of old coal room
>take a swig of Irish whiskey, pass it to the wife
>take inventory of supplies.
>begin teaching my sons the basics of firearms.
>wait for shit to settle aboveground
>begin planning trip to family cabin in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>29364115
Believe so.
>>
>>29363995
I mean, 500 warheads isn't that many.... we should be find /k/ommando
>>
>>29363995
Yo, do you shoot at the Kahlotus range? It's the shit.
>>
>>29363189
>TFW nothing blowing up Redding, California
I'm both insulted and relieved
Then again Redding is fucking useless
>>
>>29364216
Don't know where that is. It's been too long since I shot a firearm.
>>
>>29363342
>That concentration of nukes on Faslane/Glasgow
kek
>>
>>29348612
start fappin
>>
>>29348612
There's something that fascinates me about a transition-to-war scenario in local government.

>Leaving for work, you hear on TV that something is going on in the middle east again, there always is.
>You're informed that as a precaution you've got to start going through some nuclear-warfare precautions, taking stock of local food and fuel supplies, etc.
>Oh bugger, more work, we've not even figured out how we're going to handle these budget cuts and now we've got to faff around with preparations for a war that won't even happen
>Go home after another unfulfilling day in local government and put on the news and find out the Soviets have sunk a US ship
>Have normal meal with family, bed.
>By next week, the Soviets are building forces in East-Germany and the prospect that - while probably nothing - this could actually escalate is far more real. You're assigned to food distribution or something and have to nuisance-call supermarkets and convenience stores to inquire about stock levels. You've also to stockpile food at a hidden location just in case it's necessary.
>One of your co-workers is assigned responsibility for overseeing distribution of "Protect and survive"
>Meals with family become more tense.
>A few days later, the Soviets invade West Germany. Panic buying makes further nuisance calls unnecessary: Shops are definitely empty. You get instruct your wife to go off with the kids and stay with relatives in the Scottish countryside. Both of you put up the pretence that you're being overly cautious and that this will seem very silly when it all blows over.
>Since you're responsible for something in the council, you can't leave.
>Head to work, half your colleagues haven't turned up and the magnitude of work left to be done before the council is in any state to take over government of the local area is becoming apparent.
>Sit down and prepare for more mind-numbing data input to a computer.
>Deafening beeping noise
>"ATTACK WARNING RED, ATTACK WARNING RED."
>>
File: PICT0004.gif (127 KB, 598x400) Image search: [Google]
PICT0004.gif
127 KB, 598x400
>>29364777
Are you me?
>>
>>29364866
It's not impossible that I am.

Other steps of TTW (like commandeering commercial vehicles or taking control of broadcasting) are pretty fascinating too, though I've yet to find anything going into any detail on those.

Well I tell a lie, I did find one thing on broadcasting, the radio-script to be used after an attack:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/03_10_08nuclearattack.pdf
>>
>>29364777
i cried
>>
>>29348612
Close the curtains and go back to sleep.
>>
>>29361478
Lead, titanium.
Granite of you have creative mode on.

>>29361712
In the 1970s and 80s these were possible targets. Not so much any more.

>>29364151
Unless your 10 miles puts you near a missile silo or something.
>>
>>29365561
How much lead/titanium/granite would it take compared to miles of concrete?
>>
>>29365593
A thousand feet or so. Give or take.
>>
>>29348612
its a fucking cool way to die
>>
File: water-storage.jpg (26 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
water-storage.jpg
26 KB, 380x380
>>29353787
Can someone explain to me the advantage of putting your water in a blow up fucking kiddy-pool instead of a keg?
>>
>>29361927
Fellow MDfag?
>>
i live in brisbane. it would be an improvement.
>>
>>29365627
How powerful a warhead are we talking here?
>>
killmyself
>>
>>29365660
At short notice, getting a keg might be difficult, especially if other people are out also trying to buy one.
>>
>>29365670
MD as in Maryland? No, as I said there are no nuke-worthy targets in my country so I am clearly not American.
>>
>>29365675
100 kilotons or so.
>>
>>29365873
that would be direct hit on the building itself, nuclear bunkers seldomly are above ground & a 100 kiloton warhead would be delivered by a bomber or a missile & probably set to detonate as an airburst to maximize effect on a wide area instead of a direct hit on a pin-point target.
>>
>>29365660
this way it spreads out in a layer above you.
Water is a fantastic radiation shield. That's why NASA's proposals for Mars transit vehicles all store drinking water as a layer between the crew compartment and space.
>>
>>29363342
hah. Looks like I'll be safe.
>>
File: image.gif (333 KB, 439x439) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
333 KB, 439x439
>>29348612
>realize electronics just went down due to EMP effect
>shrug
>finish fap session with whatever degenerate porn image is still fresh in my mind
>clean self up
>wake fellow kommando brother up and brief him on situation
>gather SHTF supplies around house
>put on MAGA hat before stepping out the door into the landscape that presumably is WWIII
>it's a good day to die.jpeg
>>
>>29366225
I know that. If you go back in the thread you will see that someone asked specific to a direct hit and what it would take to withstand it.
>>
File: 1453341220672.png (518 KB, 639x557) Image search: [Google]
1453341220672.png
518 KB, 639x557
>>29348612
>mfw
>>
>>29367550
casaba howitzer?
>>
>>29365561
Why is this? On Wikipedia the listed yield for the U.S largest nuclear weapon is said to destroy buildings up to 15 miles from center.
Are the majority of countries' nuclear weapons not that high yield?
>>
>>29369145
The misuse of probabilities and threat inflation.
The B83 will reliably crush houses about 5 miles out.
Does that mean that it's impossible for houses to sustain major damage beyond that? No. It just means that within 5 miles or so, most houses will be crushed, with the number of destroyed houses dropping the further out you go.
>>
File: my sides.jpg (15 KB, 240x210) Image search: [Google]
my sides.jpg
15 KB, 240x210
>2016 + 61
>shitposting on /k/ about muh chinkshit nornico in 5.56
>everything electrical on my home shuts off.
ground trembles beneath my feet like a horde of soccermoms marching to a Brady rally
>mushroom cloud starts rising over the city
have myself a hearty kek and don my mexican cowboy boots
[spoiler]because they have spurs, that jingle jangle jingle[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1458656091379.jpg (13 KB, 235x218) Image search: [Google]
1458656091379.jpg
13 KB, 235x218
>>29369407
Noice one. I'd probably go out and police the wastes as a ranger. Roll around with a big iron on my hip.
>>
>>29369145
long story short: the most powerful warheads used to be in bombs delivered by bombers, and because as of now only one bomber design capable of delivering those weapons could hope to reach its' target safely (and that bomber is ridiculously expensive to build-) those big bombs have been phased out of service, so the best option for a delivery system are ICBMs, that limits the yield of the warheads, as the anti-ballistic missile systems are being developed the maximum yield of a deliverable warhead might keep going down as time goes by as new missiles capable of getting past the missile defence systems are being developed.
>>
>>29357675
This nigger here thinks he's the only one packing in NJ. Head west down 22, I'll be the fucker in the golf wearing a Russian M40 helmet with a few rifles and a Chinese girl in the passenger seat.
>>
I had a dream last night that a nuke went off, and a pretty fucking big one. Everything was very dramatic leading up to the explosion but when it finally did, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever dreamed. It looked like huge sunset surrounded by the whitest clouds and the bluest sky. Everyone was driving towards it, trying to get a closer look, people all around me were in complete awe and at peace.
>>
File: oppenheimer dream.png (22 KB, 1337x175) Image search: [Google]
oppenheimer dream.png
22 KB, 1337x175
That aint shit.
>>
>>29364777
>>29364866
Civil servant dubs?

Anyway, imagine being a missile silo operator (or for you Brits, Trident submarine crewman.) getting the message that it's time to retaliate (or even worse, realizing there's no more indication that Britain still exists, so it's time to crack open the letters of last resort and commit what may be the final act of the British state.)

>>29370248
Damn.
>>
Look at the mirror facing the opposite side of the window and just sort of lay there until nuclear fire wipes me off the face of the Earth.

>mfw
>>
File: _45609139_76.jpg (36 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
_45609139_76.jpg
36 KB, 512x288
>>29370852
>time to crack open the letters of last resort and commit what may be the final act of the British state.
>REMOVE POTATO
>>
>>29370248
Fuck. Thats terrible.
>>
>>29370852
I wouldn't even want to avenge the country Ive lost. I'd just sink down and think that's enough, that's enough death. I'm sure whatever I'm suppose to be launching nukes at has already been blown to shit by everyone else, there's no point when nukes are involved.
>>
>>29370852
anyone else find it depressing that the missile subs exist more or less solely for the purpose of allowing the countries that built them to get the chance of rubbing the final "fuck you!" in the faces of what is left of their enemies?
>>
>>29371657
see
>>29371747
>>
>>29371747
That's why it's a deterrent
>>
>>29371747
It takes some crazy thinking, but their purpose is actually to ensure it never comes to that.
If you're ever actually firing the nuclear weapons, your sub is useless. It has failed at what it set out to do (scare the other guy so much with the prospect you *might* fire weapons that he doesn't fire his.)

Ideally, if you could 100% stop anyone ever finding out, what you'd do is make full plans to retaliate in the event someone fires a nuke at you, but if it ever actually happens you'd do nothing because you've already lost. This isn't really viable though, so the next best thing is the actual insanity of planning revenge attacks as a final "fuck you"

Although there's also to a degree the prospect that war will continue after the initial exchange, in which case you might want to fire back anyway if there's still a chance you can win the conflict.

Such is my general understanding of it anyway. It follows similar logic to "Building nuclear silo = defensive [retaliatory measure, indicates desire to scare you into not attacking at all], Building ABM system = offensive [indicates preparation to survive your retaliation.]"

(Note that the scenario I'm imagining here is only the traditional NATO v. USSR one, not India/Pakistan, Israel, etc, so some of the things I've said are not universally applicable.)
>>
File: oh boy, oh boy!.gif (1 MB, 435x240) Image search: [Google]
oh boy, oh boy!.gif
1 MB, 435x240
>>29348612
Don all my CBRN gear and mask, pack up food and supplies in sea-bag, commence cheeki breeki.
>>
File: Pringle-shape-460.jpg (52 KB, 460x415) Image search: [Google]
Pringle-shape-460.jpg
52 KB, 460x415
>>29353135
Supposedly the hyperbolic paraboloid is an incredibly sturdy shape, however good luck making a shelter using such a shape
>>
File: castle.jpg (104 KB, 438x274) Image search: [Google]
castle.jpg
104 KB, 438x274
CAMELOT

IT IS TIME.

THE LEGEND BEGINS.
>>
File: Excalibur-9542_9.jpg (69 KB, 750x474) Image search: [Google]
Excalibur-9542_9.jpg
69 KB, 750x474
>>29372021
NO KNAVES SHALL ENTER HERE
>>
>>29363189
What the hell is even worth nuking here in chicago. Its just niggers and lakefront, not even any military bases that I know of.
Also OPpenheimer says this map is completley false.
>>
stop, drop, and vaporize
>>
>>29372428
Its a massive population center... other than that... Great Lakes Naval Center?
>>
>>29357651
It requires duct tape, visqueen, a staple gun, and a few HEPA furnace filters.

If you want to go full retard, add a dozen computer fans, a dozen solar yard lights, 3 heavy duty car batteries, a charger, and some wiring.

Simple mode: use visqueen and duct tape to seal up your house/apartment, the furnace filters get mounted into a couple of windows so you get clean airflow.

Pro mode: build a framework to hold all of the computer fans. Then mount a furnace filter so that the fans draw through it. Mount the whole rig to draw through a window, seal leaks and gaps with duct tape/visqueen. A car battery will run 4 computer fans for at least 72 hours, so set up your 3 batteries either in parallel or separate circuits to run your 12 fans.

Now, the garden lights. A 6" square solar panel on a garden light will run a computer fan at half speed as long as there's direct sunlight. Plant the lights outside, run wiring back into your shelter. One light per fan during daylight hours. Switch to battery power at night. To save time, have the lights pre-wired and ready to go. They're the first thing to get set up, if it gets down to it.

Btw, the run times and figures listed for the fans/batteries/solar lights are based on my own observations and experiments.
>>
>>29348612
I wouldn't want to be on a plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRIurlkbQ2I
>>
>>29358011
Not at all. Make it round, big enough to comfortably hold however many people seems reasonable. Inner shell is a meter thick, made of some tough NiCr steel alloy. Middle shell is a foot thick layer of the same rubber that purple Kong toys are made from. Outter shell is a meter thick layer of space shuttle ablative tiles, held on with Guerilla Glue. Of course, there'll be an appeopriately protected and constructed entry passage.

The way it works is, everybody runs inside. Last person closes all of the entry hatches, zippers, snaps, drawstrings, etc. Everybody straps in.

Bomb goes off, like 30 feet away. This starts the ball rolling. The tiles take care of the heat, the Kong stuff cushions the shock. The inner steel ball is for emergency back up protection. When the ball stops rolling, crawl out and see who your new neighbors are.
>>
>>29364222
>Redding is fucking useless

Not in the least. I used to go to the Costco there, until they built one in Eureka. Plus, you're the closest In-N-Out Burger and Baskin Robbins to Humboldt County.
>>
>>29361486
You think memes are your ally
You merely adopted the memes
I was born from them, molded by them
>>
>>29363189
t. Albany and syracuse

Goodnight
>>
Start singing
"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..."
>>
>>29348612

hope to god the wind isn't blowing east and that the detonation was an airburst, not at ground level.

I'd probably get in my car and turn on the radio, cause I don't have cable.
>>
>>29348685
lol
>>
I live by one of the largest gasoline storage facilities in the country so I'd be pretty dead. Supposedly it's one of the first things that would get nuked if war were to break out.
>>
>>29348612
Fold paper cranes
>>
>>29366239
wouldnt that irradiate the shit out of your drinking water though
>>
>>29348612
Throw all the food in the kitchen in a couple of bin bags and throw it in the sheter while .
Throw rucks full of k goodies into shelter.

Close door and stay there with positive pressure filter 600 gallon full tank and 8 months of food and two whisper generators.

Listen to radio. After 6 months emerge in NBC and ttake some rad readings and after decon either stay inside another 3 months or regear arm and go looting.
>>
If I'm sitting where I am now unless it was the worlds largest nuke ever created I would be okay if it was dropped in the middle of chicago I doubt I'd see the cloud but I'd find out quick grab my shit and go down state. Maybe go to Montana and hide in the glacier national park for awhile.
>>
>>29348612
Wonder why someone would nuke the general store, silage prices are not that bad.
>>
>>29376240
>Maybe go to Montana
Don't do this.
>>
File: bernie.png (16 KB, 550x375) Image search: [Google]
bernie.png
16 KB, 550x375
>>29348612
What kind of slav would squat on their PC?

I sit on a chair.
>>
Did the US (or any other country, but US most immediately comes to mind because of state governments and large amounts of "hey, what if..." research.) have any contingency plans for a state attempting to secede and declare neutrality/surrender unilaterally in the confusion of an actual nuclear war scenario?

It seems more likely for a country like the UK, if the possibility was ever accounted for, but with the late onset of devolution I can't really see who'd actually be in a position to attempt such a coup.

Would central government bother to suppress such a coup (using presumably valuable resources), or is there a possibility they might take a "it's not harming anyone" approach until the war is over? (i.e. if a landlocked state declares neutrality, the Russians would have to go through the US anyway so it doesn't open borders, or something.)
>>
>>29376924
While it's not explicitly stated, the federal government had plans to move into areas where the local government was no longer functioning, and replace them.
This was (is?) part of FEP D-Minus (or whatever its successor is being called). The assumption is that the majority of state governments would be nonexistent or so disorganized as to be ineffective, requiring the Federal government to replace them.
These plans would allow them to also replace a rebellious local government.
>>
File: shitposts in russian.jpg (528 KB, 2658x2201) Image search: [Google]
shitposts in russian.jpg
528 KB, 2658x2201
>>29376911
>>29376911
u talkin shit?
>>
>>29375731
Not if you don't get irradiated dust or anything in it.
you could drink out of the cooling ponds at nuclear plants if you want, water is dense enough that a few rays won't really effect it's quality
>>
>Wanting to survive a top-tier excuse to die.
>>
File: FO4_Trailer_02.10.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FO4_Trailer_02.10.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Head for Vaultec's local bunker
>tfw live in boston
>>
shout "at least i'm not pierre sprey"
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.