[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a puss who's never used a freedom spreader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
What do you reccomend to be my first course of action aside from determining which democracy maker I want to own? I have never fired a weapon, nor have I actually been in close contact with one. I want to learn how to defend myself outside of martial arts and baseball batting. I have no criminal record, employed, driving my own vehicle etc. Basically responsible adulting my daily life. What do /k/? Pls no Anne hiro. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>29347330
First things first, what's your budget and do you want a rifle, a shotgun or a handgun?
>>
>>29347353
Either a handgun or a rifle. I'd say I make 1200 or so a month so, fuggit, a months pay should give me some good choices right? Let's say my budget is between 600-1200 dollars
>>
>>29347374
Get yourself an AR-15 and some kinda compact pistol for concealed carry. Assuming the laws are in your favor, what state / nation?
>>
>>29347330
My general recommendation is a 9mm handgun. Cheap to shoot, works for self defense, easy to find a range to use it on. Not the the cheapest to shoot or the best for defense mind you, but if you're only getting one for now it's a good place to start.

If you're looking to get a couple guns, you might want to look at a .22 rifle for cheap shooting (this will improve your weapon handling in general, so you have less costly learning curve when you get a 'real' rifle), and a 12 gauge pump shotgun (not cheap to shoot, but extremely versatile and good home defense).
>>
>>29347403
California fag sadly. I don't know the laws about guns here. I know that they pretty much don't want anyone owning one though.
>>
>>29347408
Are these allowed in california?
>>
>>29347421
You can get one with a bullet button, but it's 10 rounds and you'll feel like a retard reloading. Alternatively, you could get a "featureless" AR and look like a retard but not have to reload like one.
>>
>>29347447
Video of what it looks like? Also what's a bullet button. I'm a newgunfag
>>
>>29347421
I'm in Cali too, what county? I own an AR-15 and a couple pistols, and concealed carry. So it's not that terrible, but it depends on your county largely.
>>
>>29347497
Los angeles/San Fernando Valley I guess? I live near universal studios if that helps? Also is concealed carry legal in california?
>>
>>29347436
Yeah. I'm Californian too. My first gun was an SD9VE, ran me about $430 out the door. Keep in mind this is a pretty big mark-up from the price in non-commie states, and it has california safety features, but that's the price you pay for having a pistol here.

You'll need to do a safety test, and your handgun will need to be registered, but if you can get to the gunstore with your pants on the right way you can do the test easy.

Pump shotguns have a lot of variety to them. There's even one that gets away with more than 10 rounds because it has two internal magazines. They still can't have detachable magazines (I.E, if they do have one it's a bullet button), but other than that there isn't much against them.

If you want a pistol btw, I recommend you move fast. The approved pistol list is shrinking rapidly, and new designs aren't being added. Pretty soon it may only be grandfathered handguns, and when that happens the prices will be insane.
>>
>>29347514
>Los Angelos

You're fucked, probably.

CC in this state is "May Issue," which means the county sheriff gets to decide what the criteria are to issue a permit. If you're in LA that probably means you need to personally give him a blowjob in order to CC.
>>
>>29347514
>LA
Yeeesh, that's bade for concealed carry honestly. You can still own an AR-15 tho.
>>
>>29347519
How fast is fast? Currently need to work for some more cash. Also what kind of safety tests are there? Is there like a specific site that would help me learn the terminology and requirements of said guns?
>>
>>29347421
Buy a bus ticket to Oklahoma for 300 hundred and spend 600 on an AR and 300 on ammo.
>>
>>29347531
In reality though what would it take to get a permit? Would you have to like have something to your advantage like say you practice at a range weekly or something?
>>
>>29347467
>>29347467
Here's a featureless AR. Note that it can't have a pistol grip, making it fucking awkward as shit. IT can however be reloaded without a bullet button.

A bullet button is a small piece of metal that goes over your mag release, making it impossible to release the magazine by hand. You need to insert something into the hole in order to release it. There are many ways to do this, such as nubs on the magazines, nubs on glove fingers, or even just jamming the tip of a bullet in there, but the result is the same.
>>
>>29347421
get an sks. its a semi-auto rifle
its $350, 10 round internal mag, semi-auto
>it shoots 7.62x39 like an AK. They will never break and is a great gun to learn on.
Alternatives:
ruger mkII or mkIII $350ish .22cal semi-auto pistol. Great for learnign to shoot
>ruger 10/22 $350 .22cal rifle, great to learn to shoot

I would really pick one of the three i named above.
They are all perfectly cali legal and all that.
>if your in San diego go to SoCal guns
>>
>>29347555
What's the rules regarding buying a gun somewhere else outside of state, and then bringing it back in? Isn't that trafficking?
>>
File: aresscr.jpg (17 KB, 760x220) Image search: [Google]
aresscr.jpg
17 KB, 760x220
>>29347575
Alternative to that, you could also get the whole ARES SCR deal, shits cool as fuck, I'd want one even if I wasn't in Cali.
>>
>>29347575
So it's either get a really shite looking gun with more capacity and no way to add anything to it, or have a 10 round semi auto and have to go out of my way to literally reload in a shit situation? This seems pretty fucking lame to me. Have gun laws always been like this? Wouldn't I be better off picking a 10 round long distance rifle at this point?
>>
>>29347567
Like I said, it's dependent on your county. I could look it up if you told me. In some counties, it's totally impossible. In others, you just need about $300 in courses and paperwork. Some have exemptions for business, people who have been threatened, people who have the recommendation of an officer, etc, but like I said, impossible to know without knowing the county.

>>29347547
In 2017, the current permits to import firearms expire and the list will likely be trimmed significantly in renewal. Prices in general are going to go up steadily because of the election, but the sooner the better and by next year it may be too late.

Like I said, the test is retard easy. Just know that you need an FFL to transfer firearms in CA no matter what and always circle the most cautious/safest answer.
>>
>>29347586
I dont think the out of state shop will sell you a gun with a cali ID.
>AR's are legal in cali tho dumbass, and you can get one at any gun store.
>>
>>29347627
Capacity doesn't change. The only way around 10 rounds is certain pump action shotguns with seperated magazines, or grandfathered mags. Given that grandfathered mags may be rounded up, I wouldn't sink the money into any.

The advantage of a featureless rifle is that you don't need to use the button, so it reloads like normal. Note that you don't need to get an AR-15 that's been bubba'd into something featureless. Something like an SKS, M1 Garand, M14, etc are all ok with 10 round magazines.

>>29347586
Don't do it. There are legal ways, but not to get something that would otherwise be prohibited. Like you could go out of the state, get a CA legal gun and bring that in, but there'd still be paperwork and fucking why?
>>
>>29347627
All your preference, the saving grace with ARs and the ARES and stuff is you can always switch shit around and change it up if you ever move out of state. It's not like you're gimped forever. You could go for some kinda bolt action rifle, like the other dude said the SKS is a staple here as well.

>>29347652
They need to be set up a certain way before entering the state though.
>>
Is an m1 Garand with the whole PING deal still a thing? I've always fell in love with the sound of the gun, and I don't think it's meant to hold more than 10 or 15 rounds right? I would be down to buy one of those, what can you add to it to make it more wieldable, like a back strap or something like a forwgrip or a better sight? Or are these also illegal?
>>
>>29347674
they need a "bullet button" is all
>This thread is full of bullshit. Misinformation everywhere.

Op is getting really bad advice from people who dont seem to know cali's laws.
>>
>>29347721
>they need a "bullet button" is all
Oh you're right, a 30 round mag would be cool too, how bout an underbarrel flare launcher on top of it, just needs a bullet button and it's gtg.

Sad day when the guy whining about misinfo doesn't know shit.
>>
>>29347330

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've never fired a real gun before, and I'm looking to get the M1 Garand through CMP just because I want one. I'm not sure if that's a great place to start or not.
>>
>>29347711
>M1 Garand
You can get one yeah, 8 rounds so it's totally legal.
>Forward grip and sights
Totally. M1 Garands have no detachable magazines so you can get whatever features you want.

For something like an M14 though (which has a detachable magazine) you could not get foregrips, because those are ebul salt accessories. Sights and sligs though are always legal.
>>
>>29347775
What's a reliable dealer for an m1 Garand rifle then? I want one in good shape, I don't mind a ww2 hand me down though
>>
SKS
>>
>>29347586
Yes. Unfortunately, you are in a state that pretty much straight up does not believe in the second amendment. Doesn't it set your blood on fire to know your rights are being infringed? Buy a gun anyways, my recommendation is a 10/22 to practice on cheaply and a SKS for actual shooting/heavier practice and targets. Handguns can come later, IMO less useful than actual rifleman-ship, unless you have a CC license, which I see no reason you shouldn't get. If you decide on a handgun, go with something like a glock, makarov, 1911, or a sig plus a cheap 22 pistol for again, practicing. Remember, its not owning a brand of gun, its practicing with any gun so you know how to own a gun.
>>
>Tfw nogun and moving to California soon
For long guns you just need to take a test to get some kind of license and then have a 10 day waiting period, right?
>>
>>29348037
You pay $25, take the test, and get a little card. Don't worry about it too much, besides the pointless expense.

You need to wait 10 days for every gun you buy, and they don't start until you've put money down on the gun, though most stores let you throw down like %20 of the price, get the gun put on reserve, and then you pay in 10 days.
>>
>>29348037
Yes.
>>
>>29347995
Why sks over m1 garand? Besides maybe my own nostalgia factoring on it
>>
>>29347749
I'd suggest getting a .22 for learning the basics so as to not develop a flinch or other bad shooting habits from a full sized round. That said Garands are neat as fuck and if you're not a noodle arms the weight and recoil shouldn't be too hard to handle. Just dry fire the shit out of it practicing trigger pull and proper stance before you fire live ammo.

I started off shooting with a nugget which isn't ideal, but compared to how heavy my Nugget was compared to my still kind of on the heavy side Opap the weight difference and felt recoil are night and day.
>>
>>29348126
I don't know your gun terminology because I'm new but thank you. After this shit in Brussels I'm preparing myself. I don't care if it's false flag or not. If shits gonna go down, I'm dieing fighting.
>>
>>29348117
Being like a third the price.
>>
File: 1454363304922.jpg (899 KB, 1435x1395) Image search: [Google]
1454363304922.jpg
899 KB, 1435x1395
>>29348147
Dry firing- firing the weapon without ammo in it to practice trigger pull.

You want the gun to be kind of a surprise. You don't want to jerk the trigger or squeeze it. Just slowly and steadily pull it back until you hear the click of the trigger. Yanking or squeezing the trigger can bring you off target.

Flinching is another bad shooting habit where you're expecting the gun to go off so before you finish your trigger pull your already tightening up your body for recoil or even closing your eyes. You want the gun going off as kind of a surprise.

Stance is just so you're not improperly holding the rifle like chick lean, chicken winging, or not holding the rifle to your shoulder all the way so the gun jars back and slams into your shoulder.

YouTube is your friend if you wanna research more into this. They all affect accuracy while shooting.
>>
File: too strong for you.png (138 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
too strong for you.png
138 KB, 500x359
>>29347749

My full sized rifle cartridges are too strong for you, traveller.

Start with a lighter cartridge. .22 is a nice babby cartridge, but it can be annoying to source in CA. a .223/5.56 rifle like an AR is also a great starting point. The ammunition isn't as cheap as .22, but it's not all that expensive, and the AR platform's recoil is very light.

Just go to a local gun store, or if you really have to, fucking Turners or something, and get some kind of brand name AR that meets your budget.

Alternately, if you're enough of a mechanically adept person to change the oil in your car, you could buy a stripped lower, and order a lower build kit and a complete upper from PSA or whatever, the Lower Receiver is the only part you need to buy like a gun, the rest can be sent through regular mail, across state lines, whatever, no problem.
>>
Get a revolver chambered in 500 win
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.