[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the infos provided on his vids any legit? I'm interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9
File: skall_4697.jpg (80 KB, 350x220) Image search: [Google]
skall_4697.jpg
80 KB, 350x220
Are the infos provided on his vids any legit? I'm interested in melee and historical weapon but is quite ignorant when it come to their actual specs and whatnots
>>
>>29343147
He's an insufferable autist.

Go read some written articles or comb the relevant boards for information, youtube a shit.
>>
File: 4chin (2).jpg (23 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
4chin (2).jpg
23 KB, 409x409
>>29343157
but that take efforts anon, all i want to do is be a lazy bum and watch vids
>>
From my perspective he and every other swordfag on the planet treats the idea of "steel and heattreat" like some kind of unknowable voodoo and refuse to believe that their precious $500 sword wasn't hand-made the old fashioned way by a barechested man with hand tools and an open flame.

Aside from that and his general autism, sure. He's fine. Just be aware that anything factual that comes out of his mouth he read somewhere else.
>>
>>29343147

He's a furry and moreover, he is a weirdo.
>>
File: 4chin (3).png (103 KB, 745x1173) Image search: [Google]
4chin (3).png
103 KB, 745x1173
>>29343183
wowowow, a furry? and I barely subbed to him yesterday
>>
File: ian laspina.jpg (32 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
ian laspina.jpg
32 KB, 426x240
on the topic of youtubers, how are Knyght Errant/Metaton/I Am Shad? Knyght Errant seems to know his stuff, but I've barely watched the other 2, i just wanted to know if they're worthy of taking facts from
>>
>>29343168
Not much wrong with doing your own research and presenting it in a video.
>>29343183
Proof?
>>
File: Gruppbild 7.jpg (400 KB, 1359x1067) Image search: [Google]
Gruppbild 7.jpg
400 KB, 1359x1067
Youtube is seldom a good place to learn about these things. It can easily get rather one sided, or you find some modern documentary that forgot that it had a reality to tell you about and went all out with the no-budget Michel Bay wannabeisms instead.

I haven't really bothered with any of Skallagrims videos. Saw somethign way back where he just repeated some extremely basic info that was quite correct, but, well, it wasn't much past "cars usually have four wheels" level. Still, better that than lindybeige.

You'll probably get far more out of reading than watching videos in most cases. Books primarily for overall info, though they can be a bit slim on it if you want specific measurements etc.

A few places to start online, in no particular order:
myarmoury.com/home.php
www.armsandarmourforum.com/forum/
vikingsword.com/vb/
www.militaria.co.za/nmb/

For books "Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight" is probably a good starting point if you want to know about what the title mentions. "Weapons and Warfare in Renaissance Europe" steps back and looks at the battlefield picture mostly, as well as the function of early guns and how they affected that battlefield. Oakeshott's "The Archaeology of Weapons" and "European Weapons and Armour" may be getting a tough dated now, and contain a few odd ideas (flamberge, rapier/sword split) but are decent broad overviews of things in Europe for, well, most of recorded history taken together. Clive Sinclaire's "Samurai" is a good starting point for Japan.

And yes, a number of these are out of print. Probably not very expensive though.

And if you give a rats arse about the metallurgy of weapons, get "The Sword and the Crucible". Then toss in "The Craft of the Japanese Sword" if you intend to have any opinions on that bit, or comparing the two. There's also "The Knight and the Blast Furnace" which I can't recommend enough, may hit your wallet a bit though, or you grab it from here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pd3h7dsj6ps6j//PDFs
>>
>>29343222
yea but what i'm trying to get at is whether those facts are legit or just shits he yanked out of his ass? I mean this guy is pretty friendly and most of his vids aren't too bad so I'll hate it to just find another channel
>>
File: 4chin (26).png (68 KB, 149x207) Image search: [Google]
4chin (26).png
68 KB, 149x207
>>29343229
well shit, you're a life saver anon
>>
>>29343147
>>29343243
You can also check out:

>>>/asp/1054314
>>
>>29343747
i don't know how to feel about HEMA, because it's about fancy footwork and a bunch of techniques that i'm sure a lot of people back then would have forgotten about because their aim is to actually kill the opponent, unlike HEMA where it's all safe

if someone wants to prove me wrong then please feel free
>>
>>29343222
>Proof?
He took the vids down a while ago, but he used to have some of those generic furry rave videos on his channel. Now the last thing I think he has is some kind of furry respect / sympathy video, which leads me to believe he's trying to "grow up" from it but still likes the fandom.
>>
>>29343147
It's no schola gladiatoria but it's mostly fine.
>>
File: tumblr_mvhxi5SLfu1rofk3wo1_1280.jpg (170 KB, 1280x857) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvhxi5SLfu1rofk3wo1_1280.jpg
170 KB, 1280x857
>>29343767
I guess it depends on what you're after.

If you're looking for how various old European melee weapons are best used, then that's pretty much what HEMA is all about finding out. (Strictly speaking it's about finding out how the old masters thought they should be sued, but since they probably knew a lot better than we ever will...)

When it comes to how those weapons handles, and what you may be able to pull off in a fight, HEMA is largely your experimental archaeology branch.

Now if you instead want to know how exactly people did fight, then naturally you'll have to start considering the other stuff as well. Some forget themselves in the heat of the moment, or loose their training in a bottle of wine. Others haven't been trained well, or at all, legal problems may be considered, we only have material for HEMA to work with for some specific weapons and scenarios, etc. I don't feel this somehow invalidates HEMA though, it isn't the entire puzzle, but it gives you one piece.

And private Andersson forgetting which end of the rifle is which when the bullets start flying probably doesn't invalidate what he's been told about marksmanship either.

And for the nitpicking, that fear and lack thereof can easily distort the art is something that's considered within HEMA circles, and while we probably can't remove that artefact, efforts are made to reduce the impact.

And I don't know what you've seen in the way of footwork, but if it was "fancy" then you may have been watching ballet instead of HEMA. You want to stand firm and stable, but with freedom to move. That's about it (may be a bit trickier in practice of course). Hell, many manuals are extremely sparse when it comes to discussing the footwork.
>>
>>29343147
I recall one of the two videos I've ever watched of him he specified "This is a two hander which means you use two hands, because usually it's easier to hold something with two hands instead of one, especially on the battlefield" as a bullet point for "reviewing" whichever sword.

Another video had several comments that he was copying several sentences verbatim from wikipedia.

>I bought a $250 sword and here's a video of me chopping cleanly through reduced plastic water bottles, edited of course only to show the cuts I didn't fuck up. Also watch how this sharp metal sorta can stab through this comparatively softer rubber tire that's been rotting behind my trailer for six years. True craftsmanship
>>
>>29343168
>refuse to believe that their precious $500 sword wasn't hand-made the old fashioned way by a barechested man with hand tools and an open flame.

He owns 4 albion swords and has called the Messer from them to be the best sword he has and his favorite. Albion doesn't do forging and he knows that
>>
File: meyer-langen-schwerdt-1560.jpg (103 KB, 671x407) Image search: [Google]
meyer-langen-schwerdt-1560.jpg
103 KB, 671x407
>>29343767
The fun part about HEMA is that all the moves you make are based on the old fencing manuscripts and the goal there is to kill your opponent. So there are really no rules in that aspect, you grapple, kick and all kinds of shit when you spar. Of course the fencers back in the days sparred with blunt swords too while practicing. The meyer feder is designed after the old sparring swords they used.

You'll end up with a lot of injuries when you do hema. Sure footwork is important but it's usually very straightforward, you want to kill your opponent as quickly and effectively as possible. An exchange typically lasts a couple of seconds tops. You're not gonna hop around like a Star Wars lightsaber duel.
>>
File: 29f.png (907 KB, 1058x1079) Image search: [Google]
29f.png
907 KB, 1058x1079
>>29343147
He can be a bit of an autist at times but yeah. I think he's alright, and he does have a little hands-on experience and theoretical knowledge of HEMA, and also knows people who have a LOT of the above.
>>
>>29343168
Yeah well there's lots of us who would like our weapon handled by a barechested man, so can you blame them?
>>
>>29343767
I don't know what to get out of this, do you think that footwork and basic techniques aren't important in a weapon practice ? Do you really think that people back then weren't train to move efficiently and knew intricate techniques, that "knowing how to kill the opponent" is all about instinct and that people just "forgot" their training in combat ? Training is exactly about that, putting some non-natural but efficient moves into someone's head so that it becomes reflexes when an actual fight occurs.

HEMA is exactly about trying to learn about the masters who were training people for actual fights back then (well maybe not all masters but some certainly trained knights and sometimes common people).
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.