[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Urban Exploration Gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 19
File: S77-902.jpg (35 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
S77-902.jpg
35 KB, 1000x1000
I've been doing more urban exploration lately. My city has tons of abandoned buildings and a great underground tunnel system.

The only problem is that we have a sizeable hobo population that is known to occupy these areas.

I need help finding decent and suitable gear.

My main needs are good arm and hand protection, good lighting, and short blunt hand weapons for tight spaces since most of the buildings are older and the hobos rarely have more than knives. I don't plan on actively seeking them out, but I want to be prepared if I run into them.

Important gear

>hand armor/tactical gloves
>forearm armor
>short batons
>headlamp/any mounted lighting
>tactical steel toe boots
>>
Slow down Batman
>>
File: 582147059.png (1 MB, 1660x1660) Image search: [Google]
582147059.png
1 MB, 1660x1660
>>29333854
Why you wanna take it slow, Bruce Lame
>>
This is dan bell....watch all of his videos...especially the cutting room floor...there are significant legal issues with carrying weapons while trespassing
>>
>>29333934
Dang. I was worried about that. I definitely won't be bringing a gun.

So, tactical gloves and arm gear that wouldn't qualify as weapons would be my best route then.

Half of it the areas are public, the other half is private. My friend still wants to go to the private areas. Would tactical gloves be safe?

I've already ruled out any sharp weapons or guns.
>>
>>29333808
i wouldnt try to take on someone with a knife with less than a firearm.

especially a hep covered hobo shank.

ive been using asps/monadnocks for 10+ years and they arent that great, and if you're in confined quarters you're going to have trouble with a proper swing, oh and in most places they're either considered lethal weapons or prohibited offensive weapons so if you get caught with it you'll get fucked
>>
>>29334025
My friend is pretty serious about exploring. I guess he'll be avoiding batons.

Any recommendations for gloves?
>>
File: 586116542.png (2 MB, 1660x1660) Image search: [Google]
586116542.png
2 MB, 1660x1660
Would this arm shield count as a weapon?
>>
File: warhammer.jpg (8 KB, 160x553) Image search: [Google]
warhammer.jpg
8 KB, 160x553
>>29333808
>>
Did you watch dan bell's videos? Most Urbex guys recommend pepper spray because it can be argued that it is being carried for animal encounters
>>
Imagine that you encounter a cop....and that cop is the biggest dick of cop that has ever existed...you don't want to have anything that could be "burglary tools".....you want to look like photographer
>>
>>29333808
When you urbex you don't want to be wearing flecktarn and a gasmask or have any weapons. If someone sees you they will freak out and call the cops, and if the cops see you, they might call a swat team on you.

Just dress normally, and have a nice camera visible. If you act like you are supposed to be there, no one will care. Even if you do get caught by cops, just say you are a photographer and act like an idiot. You didn't know it was posted/etc etc

For gloves get some mechanix wear

You need a flashlight. It could substitute as a weapon in a pinch. Get a streamlight tac light or an similar brand. They are very bright, blindingly so. If some hobo came at you in a dark space and you flashed him, he would likely stop. They are very sturdy and can be used to bash people who get too close. They usually have a High, Low, and Strobe setting.

Source: I've urbexed for a few years around Houston
>>
Anyone know if it's legal to OC one of these in Florida?
>>
>>29335172
I can't watch them right now.

I have been reading up on local law. I'm allowed to carry any type of weapon if I'm on a Journey (I doubt knowingly trespassing is a defense) or if I have a CC (which I do).
Heavy defensive bracers, gauntlets, and gloves are fine.
>>
File: crtkthawk.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2031) Image search: [Google]
crtkthawk.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2031
>>
File: like_really_close.jpg (66 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
like_really_close.jpg
66 KB, 500x366
>>29335702
Appreciate it.

My local laws don't prohibit tac gear, but what you said makes sense. Camera, flashlight, and pepper spray for private property.

As far as I understand, national parks allow concealed carries-right?

>>29335212
Thanks for the perspective!
>>
>>29336012
Get some mechanix mpact 3rd generation. Best mechanix yet
>>
Some people recommend the "official" look....hi vis vest and hardhat...
>>
Walking stick.
Preferably with a secured knot in the middle that can act as a ladder when leaned against a wall/fence.
And a lanyard to pull it up after you.
Bonus points for wizard flashlight on top.
>>
>>29336603
Another good idea. Tactical clipboard and walkie talkie too
>>
>>29336012
Could you give us a state? It'd be helpful. The closest park to me is Sam Houston which is actually a National Forest. It allows hunting so you are definitely allowed to carry there.

What are the locations you are going to be visiting like?
>>
>>29336826
Arkansas. But, the land/underground stuff is federal.

I'm guessing just a good headlamp and some pepper spray are all I get.
>>
>>29336724
Tape a chunk of tape measure along the side so its a tool for some project, checking moss growth or water lines.
>>
>>29333808
A large led mag-light can definitely act as an impromptu club in a pinch. Plus the mentioned pepper spray.
>>
>>29333808
One idea, pack a carrot with your stick.
Bring a beer or two. If someone bothers you, offer them a cold one to diffuse the situation.
>>
>>29333808
Take a mosin or any rifle, then carve a 2x4 piece of wood for the action.
Now it looks like a piece of wood with some metal, just tell them it is an ancient rangefinder or a vien tofka (explain it to them like it is some sort of old Russian groundcover penetrating measuring device).
>>
>>29336603
>>29336734
I've worked as a land surveyor and I currently inspect bridges and end up in a lot of places urbexers might want to go. Making yourself obvious and official-looking is the best disguise/camouflage.
>hardhat
>hi vis vest
>clip board
>camera
>radio
>random tools like a hammer (good for close encounters and breaking/prying stuff open), measuring tape, sample jars, flashlight, etc
If you look like you have business there, people spotting you will be FAR less interested in bothering you or calling the cops. Even hobos will leave you alone, since they're probably not supposed to be there either.
On the off chance someone does approach you, have a story ready (taking measurements for a utility line, soil/water samples, etc) and maybe a bogus number they call.
>>
>>29335702
Also in Houston! what's up?
What are some good places to visit?
>>
>>29333808
Sociopath/10

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute:
>Living innasquat or camping in derelict building
> everything you own is with you or in your backpack
> society doesn't give a fuck if you live or die, most would rather you just disappeared
> some person forces their way into the area where you've posted up, maybe looking to kill you or take everything in the world that you own.
>have pretty much zero legal protection, cops are just as likely to beat the shit out of you, put you in jail, and take all your shit

95% of the homeless people I've ever dealt with mostly wanted to be left the fuck alone.

Would you be willing to attack an intruder that came into your house, particularly if there was a reasonable chance they meant to hurt you, and no one would be willing or able to help? Can you articulate a way this is meaningfully different that isn't "fuck homeless people?"
>>
>>29337621
As stated I don't plan on attacking any. I just want to be protected in the event of encountering them.

I'll leave them alone, but I'm still going to be exploring.
I'm going to be sticking with a headlamp and pepperspray.
>>
>>29337604
Go down to Galveston and visit the Falstaff Brewery. Best place that I've been.

The Brio "Toxic Neighborhood" was pretty interesting. I think it US Gov controlled property though. Be careful.

Unfortunately, I am in the Northwestern part of Houston and there ain't much around here. Gotta travel to the actual city, or even further south, to have any fun.
>>
>>29334955

urban exploring with a warhammer is just called raiding, anon.
>>
File: 203532.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
203532.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>29334955
Only for cardio training
>>
>>29337305
this is by far the dumbest thing I've read in awhile
>>
>>29338561
Ya I'm over by NRG, recently came across Night Ops
>>
>>29339447
Night Ops? I'm not familiar. Could you elaborate?
>>
>>29339660
Basically Urban Exploration at night
>>
>>29339750
Is it like a group that does it? Or are you by yourself?
>>
>>29338667
serious question regarding cardio training with warhammer

what do

i fucking hate most types of cardio but something where i get to build strength/endurance with a warhammer sounds good
>>
File: Gemtech-OASIS-Supressor-Pistol.jpg (19 KB, 450x273) Image search: [Google]
Gemtech-OASIS-Supressor-Pistol.jpg
19 KB, 450x273
>>29333808
>>
>>29334225

Why don't you just go to a toy store and by some giant Hulk hands?
>>
>>29341512
>>29333808

I would go with a silenced 45, but yeah, get a cheapo gun from jamal and friends and just fucking leg it if some crackhead comes at you with a knife and you have to shoot him.

Going in a group and dressing like you mean business will ensure that only gangs will fuck with you though. You won't be in any danger. Most hobos aren't crazed murderers on pcp.
>>
File: streetsweeping.png (87 KB, 476x446) Image search: [Google]
streetsweeping.png
87 KB, 476x446
>>29333808
Having a faggy collapsible baton or pigsticker knife with you on an urbexing expedition is a recipe for turning a slap on the wrist into felony trespass.

Padlock on the end of a chain/ folded bandana
Buy one of those 14" titanium demolition bars for popping old door hinges and hobo skulls, but remember if you get caught trespassing with "burglary tools" you're going to have a rough time depending on how much the popo want to fuck with you.

In short, don't commit crimes with a weapon. Just have something mundane you can use as a weapon.
>>
>>29333808
Purchase a "tactical" flashlight. Wal-Mart sells a brand called police security which makes flashlights as long as 17", maybe more, some of them even go up to 500 lumens or more.
>>
File: 1457407486346.jpg (118 KB, 726x486) Image search: [Google]
1457407486346.jpg
118 KB, 726x486
Use this
>>
File: aXm797xjU.jpg (62 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
aXm797xjU.jpg
62 KB, 650x650
Polo shirt, radio, khakis, camera, and a XboxHuge impact cased cell phone clipped to your belt. No one uses clipboards anymore. Anywhere that doesn't have cameras or on-site security you're gtg. Also a 5 or 6 cell maglight and remember to hit with the battery compartment, not the bulb shield.

For dodging mall cops, pulling a ghostbustersII and pretending to be a contractor is a recipe for getting fucking arrested. Go for unworldy yuppie photographer who doesn't understand the fence means stay out cuz muh right 2 roam. Avoid any police or security but if they flag you down don't be a retard and run or anything. Just talk to them, say you didn't see the signs posted every 10 yards, and that you're working on a project and you're sorry for the misunderstanding. You won't have hobos to fight off on a sparsely patrolled industrial yard so don't bring a "notweapon".
>>
>>29341477
I have tires that are drilled together and held off the ground with a tow rope from a tall tree like massive punching bag.
This tire punching bag doesn't need to be suspended, but I do recommend running a rope from the top so that you can keep it from falling over when you hit it

You can also just have 1 tire (the other tires are car tires. For 1 that lays on the ground use a tractor tire) and hit with it.
>>
>>29339447
Night ops?
I love these guys, please elaborate!
>>
File: DSC_1076.jpg (4 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1076.jpg
4 MB, 4288x2848
youtube.com/channel/UC1FDQLWOYgEFj_Fd-gX3vOw
Respirator, camera, gopro, exploring buddy. flashlight, crowbar/ bolt cutter (sometimes a pipe works), and spraypaint if youre an asshole
If you get caught say youre their for photography, youll either get only a warning if its a run in with cops or robbed if its a stash house, i dont carry a knife because if i get charged with breaking and entering i dont want to get caught up with a weapon
pic related: east bay navy barracks
>>
>>29334018
why not take a baseball bat and have your friend bring a glove and ball as props.
>officer we are just two gay guys who like to play baseball in secluded areas
>>
File: DSC_1069.jpg (4 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1069.jpg
4 MB, 4288x2848
>>29342211
>>
>>29342223
last time i tried that excuse was in Chernobyl and the gay part didnt go too well
>>
File: average marijuana injector.jpg (49 KB, 410x388) Image search: [Google]
average marijuana injector.jpg
49 KB, 410x388
>>29342227
Why not, did you have a meltdown :^)?
>>
>>29342269
No we were just RUSSIAN to not go to prison
>>
>>29333808
Man listen
when you Ubex, you don't want to interract with anyone, and it is pretty fucking safe to assume nobody else wants to interract with you

I've run into a few exceptions to this though, where I ended up - albeit cautiously - running into another urban explorer and making friends with them while about.

You really shouldn't be carrying anything fucking valuable in with you. Just a camera. Not a nice camera, but a decent camera. If you have to carry a cell phone, consider getting a dumb phone. If you have ATT this should be easy to pull off with a 2nd sim card, but a fucking cheapo tracfone for 20 bucks should do the trick and since it will only be for emergency calls- should not need any more than 10 minutes on it.

Look, the bums won't fuck with you, and the cokeheads won't either.

A lot of the times I ubex, i wear a bright orange safety helmet, an orange vest, blue jeans, a work belt, and I carry around a notepad. I also drive a white F-150 so this helps. I've seen a few cops before and they never bat an eye at that getup... so it is the almost universal 'i know what i'm doing here' vibe... it works for me anyways.

Fucking christ. Hobos are people. Don't be so fucking jumpy you're gonna get hurt.
>>
>>29342312
Went to check out a boarded up dentist office and a group of local gang members were at the door when we walked in and was the most terrifying moment, they just told us to leave.
if we were wearing all black or a balaclava we would have probably been stabbed
>>
>>29342352
Told you to leave
best possible outcome there bud.
>>
File: DSC_0920.jpg (4 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0920.jpg
4 MB, 4288x2848
>>29342373
We were incredebly lucky, I had $3000 of camera equipment on me they could have taken. Me and my buddy saw some really thug looking people leaving and asked if it was still intact inside and they looked pretty confused by the question so we just went through the hole in the fence and despite the whole place being boarded up the door closest to the fence was open so we just went in
All over the building were VST tags which is a local gang but you see their tags on every pole around so it didnt faze us. Then this dude walks into the room we were looking around in and asks us what we were doing here and we explained we were just looking around. Then he whistles and more guys come in from somewhere else in the building and they just eye us down. All they say is "you cant be here homie" and then we left
Same gang that stabbed a schoolmate of mine which made is a lot more scary
>>
Hey op....did you check out dan bell?
>>
>>29342286
Quit Stalin and tell us the rest of the story
>>
>>29335702
Where are good spots in Houston. This sounds like fun.
>>
>>29344704
Yeah. Thanks, m8.

I'll be going to the underground tunnels with headlamp and walkie talkies. I'm allowed to use any walking sticks that I find around-So I'll be reasonably fine.
>>
>>29341771
>>29338667
Real warhammers are 1-2 pounds
A two hander may go up to 5
Are you just a weakling or did you get scammed at your local renaissance fair?
>>
>>29333808
>hey /k/ help me arm myself against the dregs of society when I trespass in their hovels for fun
>Im going to get in melee combat with multiple attackers in an unknown dark area that they are incredibly familiar with

Oh boy.
>>
>>29344955
You have to watch trapped and terrified...probably my favorite dan bell video
>>
>>29344955
Check out this house is evil.
>>
File: wdTbaib.jpg (160 KB, 640x473) Image search: [Google]
wdTbaib.jpg
160 KB, 640x473
>>29334150
Learn BJJ, Muay thai, judo, boxing and some military cqc weapon combat tactics (if anything just for the mindset needed to fight off something like a fuck with a knife and get some experience) and use steel toe boots once you're out and about.

Also Parkour or at the very least be fit and good at sprinting, climbing, and running for prolonged periods of time.

Use some tactical gloves with some lead shot in them. Preferably Kevlar gloves that are supposed to be stab and slash proof.

If you were an MMA fighter and had steel toe boots youd be a hand to hand fighting machine. One kick to the knee or shin and the guy is done. To the ribs just the same. To the head or spine and possibly lethal.
>>
>>29347643
Oh and dress like a hobo of extremely poor fag, grow a beard or at the very least some stubble, don't stick out like some rich white boy who's seen too many movies and is wearing all black and possibly carrying a wallet.
>>
>>29347643
Good call on the steel toes
>>
>>29347643
Already working on steel toes.

Also, I am well versed martial arts/gymnastics, and am one of the best rock climbers in my state. I'll be fine.
>>
>>29341653

This, if you are really worried about it, get one of those big gaudy D cell flashlights that is anodized blue or green then use that to explore and as a improvised bludgeon.
>>
>>29334150
cheap mechanix

they do they same job as oakley, 5.11, or Hatch and you wont be pissed when they get ripped or dropped and lost
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.