[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm gonna get my first handgun soon, should I get a striker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 828x628) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 828x628
I'm gonna get my first handgun soon, should I get a striker or a hammer fire pistol? What are the benefits to both? Disadvantages?
>>
>>29333176
Get something with a hammer, or a Kahr. Many would argue the striker-fired pistols' simpler manual of arms and lighter, more consistent triggers make them better beginner guns, but it also makes them less forgiving of poor handling practices...particularly relevant for a newbie buying a carry gun. Hammer-fired guns are generally a bit safer in this way, and at least have the possibility of having superior triggers - a lighter/shorter pull doesn't always mean "better".
>>
>>29333176
Mostly personal preference IMO
Not that >>29334462 doesn't have valid points though
>>
File: 1443635400234.jpg (23 KB, 499x430) Image search: [Google]
1443635400234.jpg
23 KB, 499x430
>>29333176
Is that airsoft? Dat slide safety.
>>
File: CanikTp9v2(2).jpg (899 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
CanikTp9v2(2).jpg
899 KB, 1600x1200
>>29333176
Go for the Canik Tp9 v2.
Bought one for my grandpa who's a self proclaimed "polymer hater" and he loves it. Really took him by surprise. Put about 900 rounds through it myself and there were no problems whatsoever, plus it's grouping was quite impressive at 50 yards.
High capacity 18+1 is also quite forgiving and for a beginner it's extremely easy to field strip.
>>
File: mosquito2.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mosquito2.jpg
102 KB, 1024x768
>>29333176
Whatever you pick, for God's sake don't buy a Mosquito.
>>
>>29334508
I think it's a Mosquito (.22)
>>
>>29333176
shoot a few examples of both (or at least dry fire them) and choose what feels right to you.
don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
>>29334584
Oh I see. Didn't realize they made Sigs with slide safeties. I never really paid much attention to Mosquitoes.
>>
>>29333176
buy the one that seems to be the most up your alley. If you don't wind up with both eventually you're the worst poster on /k/.

striker is easier. it's got a consistent and short trigger pull.

hammer fired can give you a shorter trigger pull, but with the added necessity of an external safety and the training that comes with it. DA/SA might drop the safety but then you have to deal with 2 trigger pulls and DAO has some long trigger pulls.

You're going to develop your own opinions on the handguns for sure. I would personally get the striker fired option first because it's the easiest to learn. But you can go from there. So don't freak out too bad about it.
>>
>>29333176
>I'm gonna get my first handgun soon, should I get a striker or a hammer fire pistol? What are the benefits to both? Disadvantages?

I can go into advantages and disadvantages of both, cause they both have them. And really, at the end of the day none of those reasons are going to be your deciding factor.

What matters is how well it fits in your hand, how much you like the trigger, how natural it points to you, and how it shoots for you (that part is harder to test, unfortunately).

Chances are the first gun you buy won't be your favorite. Even if you have all the money in the world to buy whatever you want and whatever you want for it.

Good luck anon, go to the gun store and check out what you fancy. Don't worry about whether or not you're wasting their time: you're not. Every LGS employee is used to handing a customer a million guns and having them walk out empty-handed. Just be polite, respectful, and somewhat considerate of their time.
>>
First handgun should be 357 revolver
>>
>>29334574
are they worst than hipoint?
>>
>>29333176
Striker fired guns are cheaper.
Hammer fired guns tend to be better.
Obviously, there are exceptions.
>>
>>29334565
This.
OP you should check out GY6's video on it.
>>
>>29337267
yeah, bratwurst
>>
>>29334462
>or a Kahr
Fuck NO.

Do not recommend a Kahr, they are damn junk.
They are good on paper, and in idea, but the actual product is shit.
>>
beginners tips:

Hammer fired
pros: single action is something you can do on command if need be, safer to carry with a round in the chamber because of the long DA trigger pull length and generally stiff weight.
Cons: the hammer (if external) presents a snag hazard and learning DA/SA trigger pulls generally takes more time than learning a single consistent trigger pull. Some hammer fired pistols are SAO like the 1911 which necessitates either carrying without a round in the chamber or carrying with a manual external safety engaged, both of which slow down your time to get your first shot on target and are things you can forget in a stressful situation.

Striker fired:
Pros: consistent trigger pull, totally enclosed design, no snag hazards, heavy trigger pull and split trigger allows for safe condition 1 carry (no external safety and cocked and locked)
Cons: trigger pull is consistent(ly heavy, slowing down shot cadence compared to lighter triggers)
>>
>>29334574
I have one and its fucking great.
>>
>>29335425
Fuck off Elmer
>>
File: 1422657597913.jpg (130 KB, 640x551) Image search: [Google]
1422657597913.jpg
130 KB, 640x551
>>29333176
I started out shooting my dads glock. Then for my first gun Ii got a berretta 92fs for reasons. The weight and change it trigger pulls through me off for weeks until I got the hang of it. I almost got to the point where Ii thought I just sucked with DA/SA and I should sell it

Theyre both fine styles of guns, each with pros and cons (weight, price, availability, ease of action)
This is probably a lame comparison, but its like learning how to drive stick as a first car. Its a little tricky at first but anything else after that will be a cake walk
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.