[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How realistic is Apocalypse Now in showing lack of discipline
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 7053688.3.jpg (135 KB, 500x710) Image search: [Google]
7053688.3.jpg
135 KB, 500x710
How realistic is Apocalypse Now in showing lack of discipline & drop of morale in some of American military camps in Vietnam?
I can't believe it could take place, but than again I did read about heavy drug use in some camps, so maybe, in some desolated, neglected camps?

Also, it's not possible to carry a PBR using a Huey, like they did in the movie, is it?
From what I found, Huey's max lift was 2 tonnes, and PBR's ware about 8 tonnes.

Cheerio.
>>
Bmupm.
>>
>>29330754
> how realistic is this Hollywood film?
the answer is in the question
>>
>>29331025
Some are less some are more, and some ware pretty realistic.
>>
>>29331025
it's not obviously wrong, though. Many vets say that it's one of the movies that most accurately represent the spirit of the war from the american perspective
>>
http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/vietcrim.htm
>>
>>29331089
>>
>>29331089
nice
>>
It became common towards the end as the soldiers began to feel abandoned.
>>
>>29331103
That's just stats as for feelings on base, I read a book about one artillery position on one of the famous numbered hills in Vietnam. It was also the title of the book iirc. Same emotions as most wars, trying to find happiness wherever you could. General fuckery, war is hell, etc. it was a good read. Tigerland is pretty good, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Born on the 4th, hell, even Forest Gump. The list goes on. As for personal accounts I've heard they're what you'd expect in war and follow the movies/books. Drugs were bad mmkay, jungles were bad mmkay, the VC were bad mmkay, etc. Although in HS we got to meet 3 vets who had bronze/silver star and various chest dangles. One was a kill happy bastard who's eyes lit up recounting the napalm strike he called in that killed a lot of dudes, another guy went HAM on an M60 and didn't elaborate more than what his medal sheet said, the other was mostly silent, just liked talking about the guns they brought for show.
>>
>>29331135
> One was a kill happy bastard who's eyes lit up recounting the napalm strike he called in that killed a lot of dudes

if i got to call in napalm strikes i'd probably be grinning like an idiot too, that power, knowing that 1 little radio call made fire rain from the sky
>>
>>29330754
I don't think Apocalypse Now was meant to be a historically accurate film.

They just Vietnam as a jumping off point to explore the themes in the book. But my dad's a huge history buff, and he says a lot of it is fairly true.
>>
>>29331153
Even said he did operator stuff on the Ho Chi Minh Trail and Laos/Cambodia shit, ran into loads of Russian equipment and sabotaged caches. Don't remember the exact details of his unit or anything else to know if he was embellishing, because it was HS and I was more amazed at the fact that there were loads of guns sitting on the table in the classroom.
>>
>>29330754
Drugs were a major problem.

Your squad mates could literally range from a simple weed smoker to someone doing crack or heroine every day and be high on patrol.

That's why even old WW2 vets looked down on Nam vets because old school Americans at most just abused alcohol and beer and spirits kind of have a tradition in warrior culture, where as hard core drugs oddly enough was not too common or pushed by the mob. After the Mob was taken down, the cartels moved in and street gangs pushed the stuff, the mob refused to deal in before.

Couple this with unwilling conscripts and and softening up the entree requirements you had a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>29331158
It's based off a book about a 1800's British colonial officer going rogue I think.
heart of darkness?
>>
>>29331089
>Army itself does not know exactly how many...officers were murdered. But they know at least 600 were murdered, and then they have another 1400 that died mysteriously.

Holy shit.
>>
File: 1434927054656.jpg (40 KB, 416x300) Image search: [Google]
1434927054656.jpg
40 KB, 416x300
>>29331217
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.