[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Possible Arsenal SAM7SF Fuck Up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_0427.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0427.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I got this rifle last winter, and have yet to shoot it past 50yrds until yesterday with some friends and none of us could get anything on paper at 100-200. We where shooting Tula and thought that the ammo may have been this issue, but I tried some Golden Tiger with the same results. So I was cleaning the rifle, and took the break off to take a look at the crow and saw pick related. I am worried that this is messed up. What do you lads thing the crown looks fucked.
>>
>>29326958
pretty much every AK74 I've seen gets that shit. It's because of the muzzle brake.
You can knock it off, but it doesn't seem to affect accuracy at all.
>>
>>29326958
its carbon build up everygun will do this just clean it off

this is why permanently attached flashiders to get your gun to 16 inches is a stupid idea
>>
>>29326958
Bore light, check the state of the barrel. If the inside looks alright then you will probably need to get it recrowned which shouldn't be so hard

I would do as detailed a takedown as you're comfortable with and look for any more rusting or other damage.
>>
>>29326958
Jesus fuck, that looks like 100 shots worth of black powder residue.
>>
File: 1457489625435.jpg (81 KB, 300x562) Image search: [Google]
1457489625435.jpg
81 KB, 300x562
Ummm I hummm
>>
>>29326986
It is not carbon build up. Is like welding slag.
>>29326995
The barrel itself looks great, rifling and the chrome lining is really clean and nice.
>>
>>29326958
arsenal = shit, send it back
>>
>>29327018
>It is not carbon build up. Is like welding slag.
I get the same stuff as mine. Super hard, comes off in chips?
on mine it's just carbon.
>>
>>29326995
I did a thorough take down and also notice the rear of the bolt carrier is getting peened a bit but I hear that is fairly normal, but im no expert this is my first AK.
>>
>>29326995
>need to get it recrowned which shouldn't be so hard
no he just needs to clean it
it looks bad now but thats not permanent and the barrel under it is fine
>>
>>29327019

And the poorfag WASR 10 owner chimes in
>>
>>29327055
If you're right about it just being tough carbon buildup, yeah. Looked like rusting to me but I am probably too paranoid about this stuff.

You might wanna try a bit harder to remove it OP, if it doesn't come off the barrel is fucked anyway
>>
>>29327111
I personally soak the end of the barrel in carb cleaner and go after it with a brass brush
It comes off after a while. I generally don't care to take it off, because it's under the brake. As long as it's accurate enough to pop 2-liters at 300 yards I'm happy.
>>
>>29327111
well I took a cheep shitty soft metal knife to it and it came off. looks pretty clean now. still worried about the accuracy issue I'll probably get a few boxes of really good ammo to test with and get it on the bench to see if I can get more out of this thing.
>>
My wasr had that under the a2 birdcage flashhider i have on it

Took my thumbnail and scraped it off mostly and put the flashhider back on

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you can thread the brake on and off
>>
File: IMG_0430.jpg (976 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0430.jpg
976 KB, 3264x2448
>>29327036
>>29326995
>>29326991
Well it cleaned up pretty damn good with not to much effort. The break goes on fine. Anything else I should look at to see what up with the longer range issues? The rifle is straight, not that it is to much of an issue as the receiver is milled. The barrel looks great I don't see anything there accept If I get the angle right I can see a slit in the top but I think that is the gas hole.
>>
>>29327375
Make sure your sights are dialed in
get good at shooting
>>
>>293273758
Try shooting at 75 and 50 yards, might have to adjust the sights a bit
>>
File: soviet.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
soviet.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>29327387
Thanks, I do need to shoot these rifles more. With ARs I can shoot those range with no issue. I must become one with the slav.
>>
>>29327375
Your barrel should be chrome lined, and that chrome should extend out onto the crown. I think some people define crown differently but the only part that will actually affect accuracy is the area that physically contacts the bullet before it leaves the barrel completely. The carbon wont build up on that area because, well, there are 7.62 slugs scraping it off every shot.

What I'm getting at is that there's no reason to scrape that stuff off, and you're more likely to damage the actual (important) part of the crown by doing so, which actually will affect accuracy.

As for the accuracy, most likely your sights are simply off, back it up to 20 yards and see where you're hitting, zero there and then back it up. You might want to buy a sight pushing tool.
>>
>>29326958
Shoot groups in on 25 yards and then 50 then 100 on a bench supported

If you get 1 inch, 2-3 inch and then 4-6 inch groups then its all good.

If you can't get a 1 inch group at 25 there is no way you can hope to shoot a decent 100 yard group.
>>
>>29327469
>>29327528
I do consider the crown that last bit of the barrel the bullet touches as well. I did not try messing with anything ion the side of end of the barrel. I Probably need to fine tune the zero from what I am reading.
Also it must be true, night /k/ is so much better.
>>
>>29327528
How good should off hand accuracy be?
>>
>>29327591
Not him but I would think it could be as good as you are comfortable with it.
>>
>>29327469
One other quick question. Is it normal for peening on the rear of the bolt carrier, I am reading some different stuff on this. Some say it is. I have read that it is also caused by variances in ammo or a weak recoil spring.
>>
>>29327644
What exact part of the rear of the bolt carrier? Pics would be helpful. Some peening is to be expected but whether or not it's a problem depends on your current round count and the degree that is peening.

Definitely something to keep an eye on.
>>
>>29327644
if it's taking finish off that's fine. If it's deforming metal, not fine.
>>
File: IMG_0433.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0433.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29327738
>>29327783
round count a little over 2k
>>
>>29327843
I should add there is no damage to the rear trunnion.
>>
>>29327843
The lighting isn't the best but that doesn't look damaged to me.
>>
>>29327922
crap, sorry not the greatest lights in this apartment and the phone was having a hard time focusing. Take look at the little nub on the back were it is silver. you can see where it is flattening out. and the metal is getting mushroomed out.
>>
>>29327843
calm down on that grease friend
>>
>>29328093
kek, no excuse sir.
>>
>>29327843
Do you bump fire? If so, you should stop, because it can cause you to pull the trigger before the bolt carrier is fully in battery, which will make the hammer hit the tail of the bolt carrier instead of the firing pin, which can cause that peening.

Otherwise, for 2000 rounds that's not so bad. Most of the time, stuff like that gets to a certain sweet spot, then the work hardening takes over and it just stops progressing. Keep an eye on it and see if it continues to get worse. The bolt carrier peening right there isn't that unusual with AK rifles. If it starts to cause hangups, file the sides flat.
>>
>>29328377
Right on thanks man. Nah I don't do any of that bump fire stuff so none of that.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.