[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tavor over AR-15?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14
File: tavor.jpg (710 KB, 2544x1655) Image search: [Google]
tavor.jpg
710 KB, 2544x1655
So I am looking for a 5.56 rifle for home defense, but am undecided what to choose. Cost isn't really a factor for me because I have plenty of available funds and am not an enthusiast so this will probably be the only rifle of its type I will own in my life time.

1. My biggest reason for going for a 5.56 rifle is I have a very small wife who is very intimidated by firearms. A .22 pistol is scary for her to fire so I am looking for the smallest recoil possible. I am unfamiliar with bullpups, would the Tavor have any tangible difference in recoil from fire?

2. I like piston over DI, because I am not going to be using this for any sort of competitions and making the weapon easier to clean after monthly touch ups at the range will be nice. Are there reliable Piston AR's you would recommend checking out, and would they be any more or less reliable than the Tavor?

3. I will admit a part of me is attracted to the snowflake factor of the Tavor, it would be nice to have something different than a tacticool AR like literally everyone else my age. I really only want an ACOG or red dot sight and a flashlight, so the Tavor is fine on that end.

Really any insight will be appreciated!
>>
Even considering getting an ar when you have the opportunity to get a tavor is a slap in the face
> long stroke piston
> bullpup
Also look at where the barrel is located, it's lower than the ar making the recoil MUCH easier than the ar, get the tavor, or be smart and wait for the civiliam x95
>>
Tavor is over priced Israeli fetish shit. Shitty trigger and awful for lefties. You should get it. If you can drop the 2-3 grand fucking do it.
>>
File: 387bf_ar15_gasimpingement.gif (144 KB, 1072x268) Image search: [Google]
387bf_ar15_gasimpingement.gif
144 KB, 1072x268
>>29325990
>>
File: Gas_OPR.gif (41 KB, 557x200) Image search: [Google]
Gas_OPR.gif
41 KB, 557x200
>>29326049
>implying the first thing you do isnt but an aftermarket trigger in it
Literally doing that fixes all issues that people bitch about
>>
File: DIRECTM16.gif (34 KB, 540x273) Image search: [Google]
DIRECTM16.gif
34 KB, 540x273
>>
>>29325990
Piston isn't easier to clean than DI. Actually, it's harder, since you need to clean the piston as well as all the same things on a DI rifle.

Piston ARs are a fool's errand. They're heavier, more expensive, less accurate, take proprietary parts, and ALL piston ARs have carrier tilt. There is no logical reason to buy one over other options. A DI AR is best (which is why literally every respected instructor, trainer, and shooter in the defensive firearms industry uses them, not to mention SF around the entire world), but if you have to have a piston, you'll want a SCAR.

Bullpups are toys, basically. Bad triggers, no rail real estate, and awkward/slow/non-ergonomic and unintuitive reloads. The Tavor is one of the best bullpups, but that's like being the smartest retard.
>>
File: PISTONM16.gif (47 KB, 540x273) Image search: [Google]
PISTONM16.gif
47 KB, 540x273
>>
>>29325990
>5.56 rifle for home defense

Top fucking kek
>>
>>29326060
Replacing the trigger makes it have longer sight radius, a fast and natural reload, and non-shit controls and balance? That's an impressive trigger.
>>
File: x95-1-e1453223156412.jpg (90 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
x95-1-e1453223156412.jpg
90 KB, 660x495
>>29326079
>Mah traditional rifles
>not seeing that bullpup is literally a better system in general

Why haven't you seen the light?
All the buttstock does in a traditional rifle is take up space
>>
>>29325990
I suggest VEPR/Saiga 12 and if posssible in your state NFA short barrel it.
>>
>>29326094
Why does the sight radius matter when you're going to put an optic on it anyway?
>>
>>29326110
Bullpup is a superior configuration, but those rifles are overpriced. For the same money you could build an extremely nice ar-15, that would blow the marginal value of the tavor out of the water.
>>
File: 1421269839742.gif (1 MB, 320x238) Image search: [Google]
1421269839742.gif
1 MB, 320x238
>>29326036
Rocoil on an AR, hard? Do you even lift?
>Le' Bore Axis meme is now rifles
I can't even
Also, Ar's are much better.
>>
I'm not one to put much stock in youtube torture test videos, but this one kinda turned me off ever wanting a Tavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9lZO74YCE
>>
>>29326110
Which forces all the important controls into a better area to use them.

The literal only advantage of bullpups is their size to barrel length ratio, and with the LAW folding adapter being a thing, there's no actual reason to use them other than memeing.

Outside of the tiny minority of countries fielding their native bullpup designs, the only other people using them are autists willing to pay 2-3x the price of a good AR for an inferior gun.

Folding stock conventional rifle > bullpup
>>
>>29325990
If your weak ass wife can't even handle shooting a .22 pistol I really doubt she'll enjoy the action of the bullpup going off right next to her face.

But, other than that both rifles will suit your needs. Nothing wrong with 5.56 for HD uses. If you really need a piston ar (don't) get a mr556 (civi version of Hk416). Or as another anon has already stated just get a scar.

>tldr buy what you want it isn't like you're going to be shooting the thing enough for shit to break
>>
>>29326136
It's funny cus the best Bulpups are objectively keltec. Side-ejecting out of a bulpup configuration is bad design period.
>>
>>29326079
The bolt carrier on a piston gun does not get very dirty.
>>
>>29325990
Both are piston operated.

>>29326052
Glorious internal piston master race.
>>
>>29326247
Neither does the BCG on a DI gun, but you're going to want to clean either, so what's your point?

The only thing that piston is better for is full-auto suppressed use, and a SCAR is better for that than a piston AR, anyway... but since maybe .005% of /k/ posters will ever have to worry about which gun will shoot full-auto suppressed the best, it's pretty irrelevant.

>>29326257
>being autistic
>>
File: FDE_Tavor_6a.jpg (156 KB, 1000x585) Image search: [Google]
FDE_Tavor_6a.jpg
156 KB, 1000x585
>>29326136
The fucking AR did worse
>>
>tfw I can't legally buy a tavor except for an 18" barrel one because my state calls them "copycats" which are banned.
>>
>>29326264
>Neither does the BCG on a DI gun, but you're going to want to clean either, so what's your point?

Are you retarded? There is a fuckton of carbon build up on the bolt and bolt carrier of an AR-15.
>>
>>29326376
Want to know how I know you've never owned a DI AR?
>>
File: XlSsZFz.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1078) Image search: [Google]
XlSsZFz.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1078
>>
>>29326079
>unintuitive reloads
this is a retarded meme. No gun has intuitive reloads until you fucking train with it. Of course that doesn't mean every system is fine, but bullpup vs non bullpup the reload speeds are realistically the same if you train.
>>
>>29326184
other than the RDBs reliability issues with mud. Not to say that couldn't be fixed.
>>
File: 122.jpg (6 KB, 354x200) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
6 KB, 354x200
>>29326127
>physics a meme
>>
>>29326401
>Want to know how I know you've never owned a DI AR?
right back at you, buddy.
>>
do you plan to run it suppressed? tavor is a no go if you do. it's also harder to run in off hand and in different shooting positions.

also quit trying to be so different like every other douchebag out there.
>>
>>29326126

This. The price points for bullpups and piston ARs don't line up for the benefits they provide, especially for a 5.56 rifle.
>>
>>29326341
>
copycats of what? an AUG?
>>
>>29326136
>angry
>tryhard
>manlet
>pog
Quadfecta.
I'll raise you a mud test for the lulz.
>https://www.full30.com/video/30a1f036a5143172f5da39cf50f46360
>https://www.full30.com/video/753d617d16a9cb6c09526519a0740313

>>29326610
Keep your rifle out of the mud you retard.

Anyone have that video where the guys are running a fire and manuever carbine course after locating and "rescuing " a casualty?

Or how about that AAR from a carbine course where the only weapon not to fail was some old fart's SP1 because he was the only one disciplined enough to keep his goddamn magazines and rifles out of the sludge?
>>
there aren't any good piston ar15. want easier cleaning? cryptic or nickel boron bolt carrier group

ar15s are incredibly soft recoil.

snowflake factor is always a good reason to buy a gun, regardless of what "operators" say.

I don't like tavors, i really like ar15, ar15 is cheaper, and i think it's fucking better. but shine bright you crazy diamond and buy that tavor if you want to.
>>
The money you spend on a tavor would be better spent on AR parts and everyone knows it.
>>
>>29326060

> buy gun more expensive than an AUG with worse ergos
> now buy parts to make it less shit
>>
File: maryland-gun-laws.gif (14 KB, 197x250) Image search: [Google]
maryland-gun-laws.gif
14 KB, 197x250
>>29326889
no, they aren't actually saying it's a copy of anything. It's somehow a designation in absolutely absurd the gun ban law.
Tavors (with the exception of the 18" barrel one) are under the minimum overall length requirement for the DPRM and are therefore classified as "copycat weapons" under the insane 2013 ban.
http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx
>>
>>29326610
>>29326925
Yes you should keep your weapon out of the mud, but he's right, the RDB has a big opening in the back that can get fouled up. It's not optimal for front-line combat, but we're all civi shooters its fine, people who gunk up their weapons and drop them and shit are dumb.

>>29327160
Do you really think that? What about the Adams Arms conversion kit?
>>
>>29326072
Can't believe someone was this dumb to actually make this gif
>>
>>29327213
Shut up, I want the AUG to stay under the radar on /k/
>>
>>29326126
>>29326754
Syrup here, I always wondered-if the US didn't have Norinco banned (mostly), and had the Type 97, how well would it be able to compete? Since your currency is better, let's assume it goes for $700 US. You think it'd do well? I hear both sides, depending on who I ask.
>>
>>29327251
They're trash, and you're trash if your unironically considered one. A conversion is even worse than a dedicated piston gun, holy fuck are you 18?
>>
>>29327290
If there was a $700 bullpup in the US, fudds would buy them all up and sell them for $2000 to people actually interested in them in about 6 weeks time.

>>29327337
#why.photograph
>>
>>29327251

> Adams Arms

I have one of their rifles. Plain Jane, and a pain in the ass to find compatible free-float handgaurds. I shoot southpaw, so I had my reason, but there is nothing it does, barring suppressors, that any other DI AR 15 can do as well.

If the anon you're responding to meant that all piston guns are trash, well, his experience with piston ARs, if he has any, has been different than mine.
>>
>>29327282
Why? /k/ can't afford it anyway.
>>
File: 1436448709096.jpg (14 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1436448709096.jpg
14 KB, 300x250
>>29327215
Not that other gun laws make any more sense, but that is fairly nonsensical
>>
>>29327337

> Why.photograph

Because if you don't like what he does, it might mean he backed the wrong horse, and he doesn't like that.
>>
>>29327160
>snowflake factor always a good reason

This. Buy what guy want. As long as you weren't screwed price-wise, you'll most likely be able to sell it later for the sane or more.

MFW I look at the prices of Nagant revolvers now. I'm not all fired up about mine, but I'll never sell it most likely. Even tho I'd double what I gave for it then.
>>
>>29327251
Pistons introduce more problems than they solve and they fail to stop most of the fouling that comes with a silencer as it is primarily back pressure that fouls the receiver (not the gas tube). They do limit over gassing as anything with a gas regulator would.
>>
>>29327398
They have the low pro gas block now.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 481x258) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 481x258
>>29327290
>Would a 5.56 bullpup with an already established track record and decent aftermarket for the price of an entry-mid level AR be popular
Gee, I wonder.
>But Chinese=cheap shit! I ONLY BUY AMERICAAAAAAN!!!!
I'd buy one. It'd be interesting to watch the extreme asshurt from the Isrealis over the bottom dropping out when everybody buys 700 dollar chink bullpups vs. 2-3 grand jewshit.
>Pic related, Jew faces when
>>
>>29328017
Dude those would go up in price so fucking fast it would make your head spin. People would horde the fuck out of them. Nobody will really be getting one.
>>
>>29328067
Nah. Maybe for a while.

Type 97s nust arent great. Very poorly designed.

Controls are awkwardly placed.
Carry handle sucks cant.mount optic and the flat top models cost 1/3 more.

Tavor is overall better gun in all aspects and worth the price increase.
>>
>>29325990
>Cost isn't really a factor
>home defense weapon

consider that the weapon will be confiscated as evidence when you kill someone and likely won't be returned to you simply because cops are corrupt and know how to lock shit down under red tape.

which would you rather lose? some $600 parts kit AR, or a tavor?
>>
>>29327251
probably the worst. as many problems as the h&k mr556/416 has, it doesn't have carrier tilt, the BIGGEST issue most people have with piston ar15s.

piston are also heavier and more expensive.
stoner gas is a really really well thought out system the ar15 was built around. you don't shoehorn shit in like that.

don't do piston ar15s for any reason, ever.

now tavors, that's more of a fucking toss-up. MAC shills that shit hard. but if you go back and watch his videos, he was pretty damn skeptical originally. It's a fun fucking gun to shoot. I held one at a gun show, and it was pretty fucking nice.
but was it worth the dosh? i don't think so. I couldn't even enjoy the damn thing because im lefthanded.

I think if you buy an aug, you'll have a classier rifle, a superior rifle, and one with an even bigger snowflake factor. I would choose the aug. but aug cost more. I think

>>29327511
I don't have a 12 gauge shotgun. all ive got is a winchester 1300 in 20. when i go for my 12, I'm not buying a mossberg, i'm buying a fucking nova. because the nova is in my favorite video game. and I think that's a valid reason. The nova (or supernova) is still a great pump, just a worse aftermarket.
>>
>>29327992

My point is, why? If you just want it to have it, cool. Southpaw not wanting to blow as much carbon out your nose? Makes sense.

Otherwise, it doesn't really do anything that a DI gun doesn't, and the DI will do it for less. A better optic or fore-end would be more efficient use of your time/dollars.
>>
>>29326264
Have you never cleaned a DI AR? The BCG gets fucking disgusting
>>
>>29328161
that's a meme. there are places it happens. there are places they don't. in the places it does happen, sometimes, often you get your gun back. But the cases were you don't, or they come back fucked up? that is incredibly unjust, so /k/ shines a big light on it.

I refuse to base my purchasing decisions around such a big what if
>>
>>29327279

Can't believe someone was in that much denial to actually make that post.
>>
>>29326036
Fuck off kike.
>>
Tavor is one of the shittiest bulpups out there

its really back end heavy and has retarded controls

on top of that its pretty expensive
>>
>>29325990

What is the barrel length for the AR in that picture? 18 inch?
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.