[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
.300 Blackout for hunting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_7150.jpg (116 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7150.jpg
116 KB, 1000x667
Hello,

Im curios of how well the .300 blackout fairs with larger game such as Elk or WildBoar.
For elk the legal minimum energy bullet is 2700 joule at 100m. Can I load .300 AAC to that level of energy?
>>
>>29319762
Since you are yuro or a canuk, I'm assuming you took physics in school. Why don't you look it up and do some math?
>>
>>29319822
>Europoor or canada fag education
>he could do this maths himself

Too kek
>>
>>29319836
>Implying any yank could.
>>
>>29319852
>yuropoor bitch faggot can't google .300 blackout load data
>durr American r dum

Stupid like fuck go away you shitskin
>>
>>29319762
For elk you definitely want something more like 50 BMG.
>>
Short answer: No.

It doesn't have the power for Elk or Boar, both of which can be tough and big. You could kill it yeah, but not reliably. .300blk is a meme cartridge for people who shoot tacticool ARs at 300m and less but for some reason think 5.56 isn't good enough, or people that just really like suppressors.

And bullet selection will only get you so far when you've got a small case and average operating pressure limit to play with.
>>
From blowing Coyote to bits to hunting moose and black bear, I use a 30-06 for everything. A 308 is fine too if you want a AR style rifle. A 300BLK could shoot wild boar for sure but not elk unless you got a semi-auto to put multiple rounds in it. But some people would cry like a bitch that it isn't humane
>>
>>29319861
I'm the one telling the yuro to fucking do his own math, moron.
>>
>>29319762
Isn't the .300's recoil supposedly a bitch to handle? I'm not a hunter, so I wouldn't know, but against something fast-moving I'd want precision.

Also a swift reading tells me that the Blackout seems designed for energies in the 1500 to 2000 Joule range, so you'd probably be better off not risking it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>29319762
.300AAC is fine if you're spot and stalking. Do you walk into fields and plan to shoot pigs under 100 yards? If so, blackout is your friend. Otherwise you could save your money and get a good .308 rifle and be happy.
Pic is blackout rifle before suppressor.
>>
>>29319888
No the recoil on a .300 blk is pretty mild
An sbr'd suppressed AR with a telescoping stock and a decent optic can do everything an ak can do and can do many other things an ak can't
Even a non suppressed non sbr'd AR in .300 has advantages over a 7.62X39 ak
>>
>>29319762
It's comparable in power to a .30-30, which is passable for hogs, but inadvisable for elk.

>>29319881
>.300blk is a meme cartridge for people who shoot tacticool ARs at 300m and less but for some reason think 5.56 isn't good enough
The idea is to have a cartridge that does good in shorter barrels, as 5.56 starts to get pretty bleh in below 14" barrels.

And also silencers.
>>
>>29321623

> Comparable in power to a .30-30

.300blk
125gr @ 2200 ft/s

.30-30
170gr bullet @ 2200 ft/s

The .30-30 is pushing 150% of the 300blk bullet at the same speed. While not optimum for elk, I think you'll find a much larger number of hunters choosing it over 300blk for that task.
>>
I personally would use something much larger than .300 blk for elk, just based of my experience of shooting one.

>buddy raises elk for meat and also sells them off to ranches
>I decide to help him one day
>I decide to bring tikka t3 in .300 wsm
>shoot elk at ~150 yards so it doesn't see us coming and run to the group
>put first shot straight through both lungs
>elk literally stands there and just looks my way
>put another round through both lungs again
>trots off and then continues to look at us like nothing happened
>walk a little so we have a clear shot
>put one through its brain
>drops like a rock
it wasn't even a fully grown bull, but I know a lot of hunters that needed to hit multiple shots to put them down, especially if it's a larger one
>>
>>29322086
>300 wsm
>elk walking away from 2 shots like its nothing

Sounds like bullshit.
>>
>>29319762
You can kill anything with a headshot but why don't you just get a cheap .308?
>>
Elk are one of the few times using a bigger magnum cartridge (.300/.338 Win Mag, any of the .30-cal and up Weatherby rounds, etc.) is really justifiable in North America. They're a tough animal, and shots tend to be longer than most other hunting due to their habitat. I'd suggest at least a .308/.30-06.
>>
Elk hunting is very popular in my area and caliber choices are usually: .338 or 30 caliber (30-06, .308, .300 win mag...) Or 7mm mag. Haven't heard of anybody using 300 blackout for elk.
>>
>>29322128
100% true

I didnt take any pictures of it because it wasn't a trophy elk and i wasn't hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqk7GF__Hw

this doesnt show the actual shots but he says the same thing (his was a cow, mine was a young bull)
>>
>>29319762
>Can I load .300 AAC to that level of energy?
highly doubt it. The AR15 bolt is fragile enough already before they overbore it to paperthin walls between case pocket and lugs.

Not only that, but it flys like a brick. Just stick with 308 full size or bigger.
>>
For boar:
>458 SOCOM
For Elk:
>minimum of 308, or 30/06
if you are going to do it more than once get something big and able to handle long range like >300 WIN MAG or &7MM Remington Magnum
>>
>>29322128
It's actually not that unusual to not notice/realize that you're shot
>>
>>29322455
If he can't get an AR in his country then it might make more sense to just go for .45-70, does about the same thing but cheaper.
>>
It works great for feral hogs
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.