[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can the Ruger SR-762 take down a Grizzly, Elk, Moose, Mountain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: P1000427-900x675.jpg (256 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
P1000427-900x675.jpg
256 KB, 900x675
Can the Ruger SR-762 take down a Grizzly, Elk, Moose, Mountain Lion, etc.?

I want a gun has more capacity than my Winchester Model 70 .308 but uses the same ammo because I have a lot of it. I'm moving to Montana and wanted a good semi-auto rifle to carry when /out/. I don't know much about guns or where to start. I just have a sporting goods store tier Ruger .22LR and my Winchester.
>>
I don't see why not. Them poachers in Africa shoot an elephant (a fucking african elephant) with an AK, and shit still went down
>>
>>29303223

Yes absolutely .308 can take down those animals if you need it to. Not recommended for hunting Moose, but it's all doable.
>>
wow i want that gun now
>>
>>29303256

What gun would you recommend? Well not gun really, but caliber. I don't want to anger something and have it tear me to shreds. I want to put it down in 1 shot.
>>
>>29303282
458 WinMag
>>
>>29303255

Yeah well the target radius of an elephant's head is easily twice as large as a bear or moose's chest even. Not quite the same.
>>
>>29303282
10mm auto will drop a charging moose, so real-FN-NATO should do just fine.
>>
>>29303345

>10mm auto will drop a charging moose,

So will .22 LR. Neither will do it reliably you fucking idiot.
>>
>>29303223
.308 is fine for Elk if you are an accurate shooter, and only shooting about 200 yards or so IMO.

.308 is also fine for mountain lion.

I would say it is very much less than ideal for a Grizzly or Moose. Especially for a one shot stop. There isn't much that will put a Grizzly down in one shot, and even if it does, there isn't any reason not to put a couple more into it just to be sure. A customer at work was talking about shooting a Grizzly with a .378 Wby Magnum, took 3 to put him down. Guide told him to put 4 more before they even started to approach.

For Grizzly and Moose, you are better served with 300WM/7mm magnum and above if you're talking about "1" shot stops.
>>
>>29303282
9,3x64
Dont forget to use a plain 98 without scope for that 1920 colonial feeling.

Or anything in the range of .248 WMag, .375 Ruger, 375 H&H.
>>
You'll get rekt trying to shoot a charging bear with any caliber. Many studies have shown that bear spray is far more effective than a gun. 98% of people came away uninjured from a bear charge by spraying bear spray, where 2/3 were injured when trying to shoot one with a gun.

For hunting a .308 is fine. But listen to >>29303373. But some extra rounds in those big game just to be safe.
>>
>>29303418
CZ 550FS in 9.3 is a patrician tier brush gun.
>>
>>29303223

For hunting purposes where you're looking for a one shot stop with minimal damage to the meat / hide and as little suffering for the animal as possible, .308 is perfectly sufficient for mountain lion. It's a little on the lean side for the other species you mentioned though.

In terms of defensive use against said animals, .308 is perfectly acceptable against any of them in a mag fed semi auto where you can deliver 10+ rapid follow up shots to ensure the threat is neutralized.

The only one of those I've actually shot was a moose with a .300 Win Mag. Still had to put one in his skull at point blank after he went unconscious from the first shot.
>>
>>29303589
I guess it sort of makes sense, in that if your shot at the charging angry bear would have to be pretty damn good or else it won't really notice it too much.
Compared to bear spray that'll coat it's eyes, nose, and other mucus membrane and it'll immediately feel that shit.
>>
>>29303677
Best self defense is a dog and bear spray. Your dog will alert you of any animals around and as long as the dog is between you and the bear, you are safe. I've never heard of any stories or reports of bears attacking dogs. I've even seen videos of little lap dogs scaring off 800lb brown bears. The bear spray is in case it decides to get close to you. If a bear doesn't run away as soon as you yell and it sees you, then it's 90% of the time not going to leave you alone until you spray it or you become a meal.
>>
>>29303282
A 45-70 will stop all these animals at close range. I carry one. Fuck cougars. FUCK COUGARS.
>>
>>29303888
Story?
>>
>>29303372
Dude on a snowmobile says otherwise.
>>
Are you interested in building a 308 ar?
>>
No sig726 no sr762
both shit

if need piston .308 ar-platform get MR762

or get Armalife pattern AR10
or GOOD dpms or sr25 pattern

do not
get
piston
ar10
blyat
>>
File: SCAR_17_ELCAN.jpg (204 KB, 2048x1489) Image search: [Google]
SCAR_17_ELCAN.jpg
204 KB, 2048x1489
SCAR-17S.

You will never need another .308 autoloader.
>>
>>29303937
I think he was using a .40
>>
>>29304029
No SCAR-17 unless you gonn SBR the motherfucker and put an EOTech or Elcan on her.

That be Gucci.
>>
>>29304092
retard alert...
>>
>>29303223
No, it's too inaccurate to hit something that size reliably :^)

But really, you're gay for even considering it as an option.
>>
>>29304092
Either way, .40 is just 10mm shorter and weaker. My point stands.
>>
>>29303256
semi-auto 308 is plenty SAFE for moose, 20 rounds will do some damage.

now ethically depends, i've had two friends that put multiple lung shots in and still had the elk running. spine hit was the drt one. they are bigger than you realize.

308 is certainly enough with good ammo that's made to penetrate plus expand controlably, shot placement as always is important.

300 winmag, etc are great. but yes 308 will drop anything in north america.
>>
File: Pic.jpg (21 KB, 640x422) Image search: [Google]
Pic.jpg
21 KB, 640x422
>>29304106
>eotech/elcan
>Gucci
People in the know want more magnification.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.