[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DEFCON 3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: Nukes.jpg (80 KB, 1140x969) Image search: [Google]
Nukes.jpg
80 KB, 1140x969
Due to North Korea's missile launches the US has raised the DEFCON status to DEFCON 3. The same level was used during the 9/11 attacks.

http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/

Are we going to see Kim go nuclear /k/?
>>
>>29303159
Probably. Everyone always underestimates them and its going to end up with millions of dead people.
>>
No, nothing will happen. Japan will shoot down any missile leaving Kim's borders.

NORAD and the other radar surveillance systems will see the missile and have procedures going to stop the missile hours before it gets near hawaii.

Kim and Putin have some balls, but no major world war or attack on another country will happen in our lifetime. It'll be sanctions on sanctions until Kim dies.
>>
>>29303159
Can somebody please explain how a country ignores the implications of MAD with a straight face?
Am I fucking missing something??
>>
>>29303246
It's the way that Kim says "We're out of humanitarian aid please send more"
>>
>>29303246
They don't have enough rice to eat to fuel their brains enough to be capable of understanding MAD
>>
>>29303233
Something is gonna happen about that mess in Korea. Maybe not in our lifetime or not even nuclear but that is going to cook over one day or another.

>>29303246
Nukes on NK would mean big parts on SK getting fucked over by the fallout
>>
>>29303302
Nukes wouldn't even be used to eradicate the upper leadership of the DPRK right?
>>
>>29303339
Correct, "tactical nukes" will never be used as an offensive weapon by the current superpowers or as a first strike. I would hazard a wager that they won't even be used as a retaliatory strike either.
>>
Does anyone have a link to an actual gobbment site that can prove this?
So far it's been just tinfoil news sites and sites that look like a high schooler made that plainly say "Not a government website"
As far as I can tell the defcon level has not been officially raised.
>>
>>29303159
>defconwarningsystem.com/
>.com
>not .gov
Sure what ever you say, mate.
>>
>>29303358
That's what I thought. The US air force can enter their air space easily right?
I don't feel like the international community would condone a nuclear strike on the DPRK, even if it was in response to one of their own.
>>
>>29303246
What are you talking about. Best Korea is the way it is because of MAD, not despite it.
>>
>>29303413
Explain. How could ICBM development be a good move for the DPRK?
>>
>>29303406
I'm sure they COULD, considering DRPK's tech is cold war era stuff with chinese knockoff's of 90s tech. I'm confident USAF could fly over to drop a bomb or do surveillance without encountering physical harm. But they don't because treaties and whatever.

And yeah, that was the point of my original post, if DRPK actually did bomb the US with their science-fair nuke, we could drop one on them in retaliation and wipe out their government. US would still be the bad guy because we're just so much more powerful and we killed innocent koreans blah blah blah. The pussies have taken over and implemented feel good measures only instead of war-ending measures.
>>
I SUMMON THE MIGHTY OPPENHEIMER TO THE THREAD.
>>
>>29303358
We have normal cluster bombs which is more devastating than the one dropped on Japan.
>>
>>29303246
Deterrence is a moving target.
>>
>>29303233
>no major world war or attack on another country will happen in our lifetime
This, nuclear holocaust is a perfect deterent to open conflicts
>>
>>29303159

Thats not an official site. He doesn't know what defcon we're at.

anyways we're about do for the bi-annual "HOLY SHIT I HEARD A SKYKING ON MUH HAM RADIO HOLY SHIT NOOKS!!!"
>>
>>29303159
>Random website with no link to actual DoD announcement or statement
Pass.
>>
>>29303729
Oppenheimer!

I just re-read The Sum of All Fears and had a question. Clancy seemed pretty confident a 2 stage IND was plausible given freely available info and moderate resources. I found this questionable, especially since every new nuclear power post 91 has not only chosen to just start with just fission devices, but none have yet moved to 2 stage weapons afterwards. What do you think?
>>
>>29303729
Ah shit son we got Oppenheimer in here.
How large a yield do you think Best Korea has managed to create yet? Is it possibly boosted fission or what? Any info on the Nork nukes?
>>
>>29303233
>but no major world war or attack on another country will happen in our lifetime
I like how you can just say this
>>
>>29303729
So...they definitely DIDN'T test a hydrogen bomb right?
>>
File: 1427608232786.png (568 KB, 617x715) Image search: [Google]
1427608232786.png
568 KB, 617x715
>>29304043
He's right you know.
>Democratic Peace Theory
>>
>>29304079
>Theory
>Implying anyone can predict the course of events of the next 5 or even 10 years
Nobody thought ww1 was going to happen until it did. Same with ww2. It all unraveled in a few years period.
>>
>>29303370
Came here to say this

It would be .gov at least. The real defcon would not be known to the general public.
>>
>>29303729
What do you think of OPs link?
>>
>>29303246
>Can somebody please explain how a country ignores the implications of MAD with a straight face?
Going back a few years I dated some manic pixie dreamgirl chick. Whenever we'd get in to a row she'd skip the whole raised voices/bad language/slamming doors escalation routine and just jump straight to the closed hand sucker punch, inspite of me being a full 13" taller than her and more than double her bodyweight. In her mind because the power imbalance was so great she thought she could use whatever force she wanted without any risk of retaliation - no one would ever think she could pose a "real" threat to me, whereas if I'd even just given her a little tap in return it would probably have put her in orbit around the moon.

It's probably much the same with Best Korea and the US. Kim thinks the international community would be ok with them attacking the US because "the big mean country made me scared with their excercises in my back garden", and he's relying on the world at large thinking it's out of order for a superpower to evaporate a country so poor they can't even feed themselves.
>>
File: 1439811806058.jpg (39 KB, 465x364) Image search: [Google]
1439811806058.jpg
39 KB, 465x364
>>29303159
>using shitty tinfoil website that guesses what the DEFCON is using their /pol/ometer
>when actual DEFCON is restricted to Uniformed Services
>the only government source about 9/11 resulting in DEFCON 3 was the 9/11 Commission report released 2004
>>
File: Look Kim.jpg (89 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
Look Kim.jpg
89 KB, 800x531
>>29303159
>"NUCLEAR MISSILE READY"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGrLx41HesU
>>
>>29303729

What are you saying?

Because we have SSBNs and NK does not, that means they have more to lose by engaging in nuclear war?
>>
>>29304089
U WoT M8
People expected a war to happen between German an France because of French defeat in the Franco Prussian war. But nobody predicted the scale of that the war would become.

After WW2, Winston Churchill called the treaty or Versailles a 20 year armistice because of the harsh war reps forced on Germany. Plus with the English policy of appeasement they forced war on themselves.

You can predict the future based on past and current trends.
>>
>>29304167
Churchill didn't say that! It was a french guy!
>>
>>29304197
Foch. And he was complaining the treaty was too lenient and would leave France in an ultimately weaker position than it was pre-war since they would have to face a Germany not significantly weakened and lost their Russian ally to back them up.
>>
>>29303442

>MAD is a thing
>therefore nuclear states are, in general, dealt with via appeasement so that they don't nuke anybody and start a chain of events that could end with Fallout IRL

Do you think we would have invaded Iraq if they had nuclear weaponry and were willing to use it on themselves and their own citizenry rather than "lose"?
>>
>>29303370
>>29303385
Hello newfags.
>>
>>29303191
Millions of dead norks you mean. North Korea barely has the ballistic capability to lift Kim's fat ass out of his bed and onto his toilet.
>>
>>29304362
>The DEFCON Warning System is a private enterprise which monitors world events and assesses nuclear threats against the United States by national entities. It is not affiliated with any government agency and does not represent the alert status of any military branch.
Hello, retard.
>>
>>29304210
Yes, exactly, hindsight is amazing
>>
>>29304362
>>29304440
>biting the hook
Fuck off all of you.
>>
>>29304133
The problem is if norks actually detonated a nuke on another country, the international community wont be rushing to defend the norks. Hell, I doubt china would even defend them except maybe close up their borders with the norks to prevent all the inevitable refugees.
>>
>>29304525
Its not like it matters, the thread is dead anyway.
>>
>>29304043
Well the only hotbed is the middle east as it has been for 50 years. Nobody there except the jews have nuclear bombs and they won't use them because of the fallout.

China isn't mad at anyone, Russia isn't doing anything wrong in Ukraine, and north korea has been threatening nuclear war for 20 years now.

Who, in your mind would go and so something stupid enough to piss off a super power causing an invasion of their own country?
>>
>>29303729

How likely is it that nuclear winter is bullshit?

If the Cuban Missile Crisis kicked off would we all have died from nuclear winter or the fallout after obliterating the USSR?
>>
>>29303159

No one outside the DoD knows what given DEFCON level is active at any given time, and it's something that can be applied granularly to the forces; it's not an intrinsically military-wide status.
>>
>>29303233
>NORAD and the other radar surveillance systems will see the missile and have procedures going to stop the missile hours before it gets near hawaii.
>stop the missile hours before it gets near hawaii.
>hours
>>
>>29304670
Nuclear winter assumes that everybody uses the same wood-and-paper construction that Hiroshima did, including First and Second World megacities and skyscrapers.

They also assume that since we all cook indoors using charcoal the same way Hiroshima residents did that a strong enough blast overpressure or pressure-wave earthquake will automatically set all houses and businesses on fire.

That's where the projected ash levels come from, and why nuclear winter is completely retarded junk science.
>>
>>29303246
Because MAD isn't a thing?
Nuclear war is eminently survivable, the whole thing is that MAD was sold to the populace to try and excuse the pansies in charge from having to see their sons go to war.
Its all well and good for us to die, an issue when its one of them or their kids.
>>
>>29307586
It's not like Americans have been drafted recently.....
>>
File: Venom_Snake_TTP-1.png (1 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Venom_Snake_TTP-1.png
1 MB, 900x900
https://youtu.be/7XmDYJBZZdc

>yfw Korean War 2 Electric Boogaloo
>>
I hope so, I want to see some nukes fly in my lifetime
>>
ecent commercial satellite imagery indicates continued activity at North Korea’s Punggye-ri nuclear test site that does not appear directed at further tunnel excavation but rather to maintain existing tunnels as well as to clean up after the January 2016 nuclear test. It is highly likely that site is capable of supporting additional tests at any time. Commercial satellite imagery from March shows that the North Portal, the location of the January 2016 nuclear test, remains active with footpaths around the buildings and what appears to be water draining from the entrance along the drainage ditch.

This may support the hypothesis that branching tunnels lead to other test chambers since the shaft used for the January test should have been completely sealed to prevent radioactivity leakage. That was the case with the February 2013 test, when the tunnel entrance was completely sealed and plowed over shortly afterwards. If there are other unused shafts at the current North Portal, they are being drained in order to maintain them for future detonations. http://38north.org/2016/03/punggye031816/
>>
File: 1458271725577.jpg (31 KB, 495x791) Image search: [Google]
1458271725577.jpg
31 KB, 495x791
>DEFCON Ratings
>public knowledge
>>
>>29304030
If i recall, the bad guys had the advantage of capturing an existing device. >>29304033
Almost 5 kt boosted fission.
>>29304073
No.

>>29304132
Comedy Gold.

>>29304144
That what deters one power in a specific crisis might not deter them in a different crisis.
Example.
The US is deterred from confronting Russia over Ukraine.
But if the issue is over Germany, they might not be deterred.

>>29304670
It seems unlikely.
Different building codes and materials, realities of targeting...
Lots of holes in the theory currently.
>>
File: 1451081016683.png (749 KB, 1264x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451081016683.png
749 KB, 1264x1000
>>29303159
Is the Nuclear Strike of Justice happening?
>>
>>>/b/
>>>/v/
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 900x900
>>29308041
We have to go back!
>>
>>29304741
and also, isn't the arctic a shorter route?
>>
The fuck

How did I get at /k/

I thought this was /v/

Please let me go back
>>
>>29310004
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.