[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any disadvantages of tool-less locking systems? I am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: 2.jpg (787 KB, 600x388) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
787 KB, 600x388
Are there any disadvantages of tool-less locking systems? I am thinking of getting a Mossburg 500 Flex and Ruger Takedown, both of which are TLS.
>>
>>29302773
I think it's pointless. What situation would you need to switch from a buttstock to a pistol grip in a hurry?
>>
What wouldnt you just have shotguns for different purposes? Swapping out barrels and stocks makes no sense.

/thread.
>>
>>29303133
>implying
>>
>>29303113
>>29303133
ITS NOT A BILL OF NEEDS
Its not for changing out accessories quickly. Well, it is but the point is you can do it on a whim, you don't have to find your snowflake wrench, or gather the tools in the field, or have any forethought if you wanted to swap them.

Not everyone is made of money, buying multiple shotguns to do multiple tasks costs more than just buying another barrel and stock.

OP, Mossberg's locking system works well. Its good to go. I have no experience with Ruger takedowns, but so far there have been overall positive reviews.
>>
>>29303181

>implying second hand shotguns for home defence and hunting couldnt be purchased for less than this kit.
>>
>>29303181
the question is do you really need to swap parts fast?
i mean its neat you can swap the stock/grip out in 10 seconds but when are you going to be carrying around the gun and a unconnected stock then suddenly decide to swap em out.
its not like the standard parts were that time consuming to begin with. you could swap em out in under 10 minutes with a screwdriver.
you lose parts compatibility with the majority of aftermarket furniture
>>29302773
dunno what the hell made you think a 10/22 takedown is tooless the furniture is held on by screws
>>
>>29303133
>>29303277
Oh my God you people are both terribly retarded, terrible waste of dubs.

It's convenience. It's like toolless screws on computer cases. Sure, if you are working on a computer, you already have a screwdriver, but sometimes it's nice to just turn the screws by thumb and make a ten second process last eight.

It's convenience. That's all it is. When it comes to guns there's tons of little proprietary tools and notches and shit; it's nice to be able to just swap it out if you want it, even if you do it once a year or whatever. It's like changing handguards or grips on an AR or something, sometimes people just want to do it. It's fucking convenience you autistic fucks.

>May lose parts compatibility
That's a legit concern

>10/22
Obviously means the locking system of the takedown. He's basically asking if these systems compromise structural integrity or cause issues.
>>
>>29303277
>swapping out parts in 10 seconds
>why
You're right, manufacturers should make it more difficult and make it lengthier and cumbersome to do so.

Why do cars have pushbutton starts? They should be 16 digit codes then you watch a 30 second advertisement

Why does my bank have online bill-pay? I would rather write a check and put it in a self address envelope and walk it to the mailbox.

Why are cameras automatic and easy to use? They should make them require meticulous timing focus and extensive knowledge.

New shooters are scared by the mysterious action of a mechanical machine they've never seen before. Mossberg is taking the mystery away by making parts hot-swappable.
>>
>>29303351
Been lurking in this thread for everyone to say what everyone has said. Very predictable keks to be had.

My inlut when everyone was done shitposting was that the convenience isn't worth the potentially decreased compatability. Its a cute little gimmick that needs way more time on the market, maybe even implemented into different products before it makes sense to go that route over more traditional designs. I'd say stick with a basic 500, or wait until you here everyone ranting and raving about how great that new TLS is (kek)

The 10/22 takedown is a great gun. Ruger has a habit of making shit, getting good at making that shit, and then implementing ideas into that shit. Regardless of what ruger tries, they're one of the few companies that actually balance practicality, innovation, and feasibility quite evenly.

>tl;dr get the ruger, you won't regret it. Just get a basic 500 snowflake wrenches are better than snowflake systems.

These are simply my opinions, and i neither give a fuck if you listen to me nor do i care what you do.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>29303181

It's not a bill of needs but I'll be damned if everyone, including YOU, acts like it's one the moment someone you don't like tries getting a gun.

Bitch.

Pretend your about freedom then go around doing shifty shit.
>>
File: Oh-christ.gif (2 MB, 275x154) Image search: [Google]
Oh-christ.gif
2 MB, 275x154
>>29303555
You should stop talking before you make this shill sound any more retarded than it already does. I literally wasnt opposed to the idea until i read your post. Basically,
>youre right, these are things that most people need to do frequently in their daily lives, amd have consequently been designed to make that more convenient

>totally not being sarcastic about how I believe they should make it just as convenient to change out my stock every time i go to the range.

>new shooters are scared of this space age technology we've been calling a shotgun for the past 160 years. Designing a proprietary system to transform your sporting configuration into a pistol grip will fix this.

I literally am curious as to why you are the way you are as a person, and how the fuck you've managed to make it this far in life without wandering into traffic.

Jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>29303572
Theres nothing shifty about firearms and their accessories. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Also, hyperbole and memes about bill of rights versus "why do you need this" seems to have flown clear over your head.

>>29303688
The overall platform of the shotgun isn't be changed or revolutionized. Its simply a method of attaching and changing accessories to the firearm to negate the need for tools, special tools, or working knowledge of the internals of the shotgun. What a novel thing for a company to do.
Again, hyperbole of making things several fold more difficult is not the smarter way of doing business.

My understanding of manufacturers and consumers has nothing to do with the awareness of my surroundings, as such, I am capable of traversing a road without being struck by a vehicle.

Welcome to the internet, read up on poe's law.
>>
File: WhateverBuddy.gif (920 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
WhateverBuddy.gif
920 KB, 245x285
>>29304139
>I am capable of traversing a road without being struck by a vehicle.
Prove it.
>>
>>29304188
Had to get to your mom's house somehow.
>>
File: 600px_Viper_kill_urself.jpg (45 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px_Viper_kill_urself.jpg
45 KB, 600x600
>>29304193
Ooooooh shit anon went there!
>>
I can't believe people ITT getting assblasted that they have to use a screwdriver to take a buttstock off.
>>
File: 1375094071799.jpg (332 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1375094071799.jpg
332 KB, 1024x768
>>29304313
It's more people getting assblasted about people getting assblasted they have to use a screwdriver to take a buttsock off, and then people getting assblassted about that.

It's the Circle of Assblast. Welcome to /k/.
>>
>>29302773
In some cases the stock can "pop" off of the 500. Its rare but it is still possible.
>>
File: 50673.png (26 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
50673.png
26 KB, 370x370
>>29302773
Advantages:
>no tools required

Disadvantages:
>often proprietary; only works with one specific brand, sometimes a specific range of said brand's products
>can be expensive
>certain parts can be hard to find, which defeats the main purpose of this concept (versatility)

I actually have a Mossberg 500 Flex myself. I fucking love it, I won't deny that. I got the version with the 18.5" breacher barrel, pistol grip, and railed forend with lightswitch support (pic related).

Luckily, Mossberg shotgun barrels are near-universal, so I didn't waste too much time worrying over that.

However, I found it incredibly hard to find a standard fudd-style stock. I could get the tacticool AR-style stock very easily, but I couldn't get the boring-looking hunting stock. What didn't help was that there were four different sizes (12.5", 13.5", 14.25", and adjustable). And for some reason the 13.5" standard stock was the most common and cheapest. Since I'm not a little kid nor a giant hulk of a man, I took a gamble with the 13.5" stock, which luckily fit me perfectly.

Recoil pads were surprisingly hard to find. I didn't bother with it because I liked the one that came with my 13.5" stock.

Forends are no problem if you like your guns to look like an abomination. Railed forends come in one color, but standard forends come in three. The camo forends are piss-easy to find, but the black ones are strangely uncommon. I can't remember how much time I've wasted trying to look for a black forend just to get some consistency with my shotgun.

Do I regret buying the 500 Flex? Not at all. There are certainly worse ideas out there, and all I've really proven was that some people will wade through a pile of shit just for some minor convenience.

I'm considering buying a Mossberg MVP in Flex, seeing as I already have the parts.
>>
File: flexgraphic.jpg (183 KB, 1023x774) Image search: [Google]
flexgraphic.jpg
183 KB, 1023x774
>>29304754
FYI, these are all the different Flex parts available.
>>
>>29304806
Everything bubba could want in a shotgun!

Hot damn, where I git mine at?
>>
OP here, thanks for the comments everyone!
>>
File: Topfuckingkek.jpg (96 KB, 1500x660) Image search: [Google]
Topfuckingkek.jpg
96 KB, 1500x660
Heres a throwback for you faggots.
Any of you remember mossbergs last totally-not-a-gimmick? Cant argue the functionality and combat effectiveness of muh 13 shells, now can you?

Why hell, that was the best thing since slice bread up until you know, the shills got their shillchecks.

But you're probably right.. I'm sure this next big thing will be worth it a in the end..
>>
File: IMG_0027.jpg (2 MB, 4569x1397) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0027.jpg
2 MB, 4569x1397
>>29305305
No worse than an uncle mikes elastic stock shell holder
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.