[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>.223 AR for hunting boar & threegun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Im looking for the optimal caliber & gun combination for range domination on a IPSC course and boar hunting.

.223 is to weak for a 400pound wild boar charging at you so I need to go bigger.
Im thinking 308.

Which gun would your recommend?
This is pretty much what I'm picking from:
http://www.armoria.fi/aseet/kivaarit/ipsc-reservilaiskivaarit.html

Ps. I live in Europe so fuck the import restrictions.. we can get HK & russian models easier than US models.
>>
>>29302636

>.223 is too weak for a 400 lbs charging boar

... no its not
>>
>>29302740
According to regulations here it is.. :(
>>
>>29302740
I've been told by wiser men with scars on their legs as reminders from boars on their last charge that 308 is what you need.
>>
>>29302636
>wanting a 308 for IPSC
no you don't friend
>>
Can you get 6.5 Grendel there? If not, .300AAC will probably do you fine.
Hope you reload, shooting a high volume of either of those calibers is expensive.
>>
what about a semi auto 12 ga ?
>>
>>29303111
>.300AAC
http://www.armoria.fi/advanced-armament-company-mpw-16-300aac-blackout.html

Would this be a good pick?
>>
>>29303134
I will get one of those to!
It will be this one or a Benelli m2 :)
http://www.armoria.fi/aseet/haulikot/ipsc-reservilaishaulikot.html
>>
>>29303185
pretty sure that'll stop a charging boar
>>
>>29302997
>wiser men
>managed to get scarred by an animal that even Bubba and Cletus manage to kill with .223 on a regular basis without getting hurt
>>
>>29303111
Can comfirm, 300 blk is great for boar.
>>
>>29303134

With right ammo (read: slugs) in a terrain where you cannot see that far, 12-gauge shotgun would be a better choice than .308. However I am not that sure than semi-auto shotgun is actually that much more effective than double barrel in this particular case - it is not that likely that you will have time for that many aimed shots from the distance that the boar does its charge..
>>
>>29302997

That's nice that some random people have told you about hog hunting, maybe you should actually try it yourself and develop actual knowledge.

I live in rural GA and hunt hog every fall. I use a shitty .223 AK. It kills big fucking hogs just fine. Hint: if they're still alive after you shoot them the first time, you should shoot them again. Your AR has 30 rounds in it for a reason.
>>
>>29302636

The smart thing would be to get two guns, since it is pretty much impossible to find one rifle that would fit well for the both purposes.
>>
>>29303235

>>29303383

Guys, guys... In case you did not notice he provided a Finnish website. According Finnish legislation the minimum requirements for hunting boar are:
1. Bullet must weight at least 6 grams / 93 grains and have energy of at least 2,000 joules to distance of 100 meters, or:
2. Bullet must weight at least 8 grams / 124 grains and have energy of at least 1,700 joules from 100 meter distance.

So seriously - why do you keep pushing him option (.223 Rem) that is illegal for this purpose in where he lives...
>>
>>29303534

To which I also want to add, Finnish hunting legislation also bans using mags with capacity of more than 3 rounds in semi-auto weapons for this purpose. Hence .223 Rem AR-15 with 30-round would be illegal in two separate ways....
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.