[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2. questions A) How do you keep your barrel thread protector
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 594635.jpg (56 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
594635.jpg
56 KB, 880x660
2. questions

A) How do you keep your barrel thread protector on?

B) Do they sell them as thin as the barrel for easier removement of a pistol barrel out of it's slide?
>>
>>29296731
To explain why I'm asking:

I have a Glock that shoots point of aim with the aftermarket barrel.
I'd rather carry the OEM barrel but it's POI is above POA which I don't like.
There are reasons I don't want to carry the threaded barrel but one of them is that the thread protector won't seem to stay tightened down after some shooting and secondly, you have to thread it off to remove the barrel from the slide.

Do they make thin ones you don't have to remove?
Do you all know a trick for keeping it in place?... other than welding it or calling me a fag.
>>
Make it snug or put some blue locktite if you're worried. Don't overdo it though, that shit has to come off.
>>
>>29296767
Okay thank you. I considered loctite but wasn't sure if it was okay to do that or not.

The other thing with loctite is that I clean my gun probably weekly or at the least monthly during summer (doing other activities) and with the loctite does it work if you just screw it on and off?
It's annoying not being able to field strip my gun in 3 seconds or less you know. What about a thin one you never have to take off?
>>
>>29296765
are you planning on threading something on? if not, dont use a thread protector

as for your question, in my experience

A- i've never had a problem with them coming off. but i dont own glocks so.

B- only for rifles (that ive seen)
>>
>>29296855
It didn't come loose but after about 50 rounds it had worked off maybe half a turn. It's a silencer Co barrel.

I don't have a silencer, I bought it because I might get one. The real problem is that the Glock barrel shoots high.
Why does the Glock barrel shoot high?
>Absolutely no clue
So, thinking maybe it's better to just carry the silencer Co barrel since it's POI = POA.
Don't want to ruin threads, don't want to put up with thread protector, don't want thread protector to come off etc.. etc...

It's EXTREMELY irritating that they have a such a large difference in POI, Glock brand shoots 1" high at 21'.
Maybe I should e-mail them but it's Glock pretty sure they'll just tell me to fuck off.
>>
dont use loctite ( it is removed with heat)

use rockset ( removed with water)
>>
File: wallpaper.jpg (76 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper.jpg
76 KB, 1920x1200
>>29296932
>It didn't come loose
It didn't come "off"
>>
>>29296932
do you carry 50 rounds on regular basis? lol

honestly id go with out a thread protector for daily carry. its in a holster, whats going to happen to the threads? its not like they can melt.
>>
>>29296932
your complaining it shoots a inch high at 21 feet?
nigga you too damn close to the target
nothing is zeroed for 7 yards
>>
>>29296765
weld it fag
>>
>>29297136
You dont' have any threaded pistols do you?
>>
>>29297072
Impact should be low if being too close was the problem.
>>
>>29297136
Yes, because you never want to be able disassemble the gun again...
>>
>>29296731
A single strip of PTFE tape or a tiny dab of putty.
>>
>>29296765
Get a copper crush washer.
>>
>>29297597
not if its in the up part of its trajectory its weird man but you can zero for 200yds at 25 or so yards due to its trajectory
>>
>>29296822
NO RED LOCTITE
ONLY BLUE.
>>
>>29297817
High at only 7 yards is way off in any case.
>>
>>29296822
>this nigger will end up using red

The keks I will have
>>
Use an O-Ring?
>>
So you're saying a pistol should be high at 21' so that it's on target at 200 yards?!?

People, it's a pistol.
>>
>>29296932
Glock sells sight kits. Rear sights come in four different heights. Swap them out until you are POA/POI.
>>
>>29299657
Already bought tfo sights hoping it would help, no change.
>>
>>29296822
Some copper based brake lube has worked well for me to reduce the loosening due to vibration as its very sticky/thick and high temp resistant. I use it on my silencers too to help the threads not jam up die to the extreme heat cycleing supressors experience and threads of dissimilar metals(barrel steel, stainless steel, and titanium or aluminum tubes.
>>
>>29298901
Some barrels are cut for orings but yes a thin oring can act as a spring washer and also help provide rubber on metal resistance to rotating off.

Also, try a spring washer or VERY MILD lock washer, if such a thing even exists.
>>
>>29301091

Don't mean to thread jack, but my buddy has a flash suppressor that likes to unscrew itself when he shoots it in the cold. Would the copper lube do the trick?
>>
>>29301297
It helps mainly because it's really sticky and thick, the copper i think helps fill the gaps creating a "tighter" tolerance in the threads while still being lubricating enough to get it off.

For a flash hider i'd just say use a drop of rockset though unless you put it on/take it off often (like to put a direct thread suppressor on)
>>
>>29301297
Also a spring lock washer would probabaly do the trick, they are a bug no-no for silencers as they could make the suppressor cant a tiny tiny bit off center which is a big deal when you're dealing with a bullet having to fly through multiple holes 6-10 inches from the barrel and not touch any of them.

For a flash hider the bullet will never be able to hit the flash hider so it doesnt matter one bit.

The reason it loosens in the cold is the barrel steel and the flashhider steel are expanding and contracting at different rates so what is hand tight at room temp is loose enough at 0-20 degrees to start walking off the barrel. A split spring washer will maintain pressure on the flashhider ehich will keep it from loosening due to vibration in the cold.

But again, so will a drop of rocksett.

Rockset is actually pretty weak, i hear weaker than locktight blue, it is however very resistant to heat which is what you want, just dont be like AAC and sig and put tones of rockset on, them it is going to be a bitch to remove no matter what you do.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.