[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>turn 18 last month >been wanting a gun because am a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: su16ca.jpg (299 KB, 2667x1042) Image search: [Google]
su16ca.jpg
299 KB, 2667x1042
>turn 18 last month
>been wanting a gun because am a little prepper-ish and am paranoid about current event plus something to use for general personal defense
>friend has 3 guns, an AR-15, an AK-47 he modded out, and a K98
>been trying to determine a philosophy of use
>find SU-16
>exactly what I've been looking for
>light, compact, decent in every category (ergonomics, handling, accuracy, recoil, according to over 20 reviews)
>still unsure

What should I do /k/? Should I buy it? I want something that I can really bug out with if the SHTF, and this is right up my alley, I just wish t packed a little more punch, but then if the ammo were too heavy I guess I wouldn't be able to carry as much.
>>
yea...
>>
get an ar15
>>
It's a flimsy unreliable piece of shit that's held together with wood screws
>>
buy an ar
>>
its a pile of mediocrity with the build quality of a nerf gun
when it was 350 it was kinda worth it. at 500 its a horrible option
get an ar
>>
>>29296700
good caliber choice, if it can take 5.56 as well.

what do the reviews say about reliability and durability? for prepping, there are 3 very important things to consider.

Ammo availability.

Reliability.

Durability.
>>
File: 100_5861.jpg (56 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
100_5861.jpg
56 KB, 640x479
>expensive by comparison to alternatives
>proprietary components
>literally beats itself to death

Get a Ruger AR556 or an M&P Sport II
>>
>>29296734
Alright, thanks.
>>
>>29296740
Reviews say no jams, misfires, or failures after 1000+rounds, ammo is jamming where I live,
>>
I love the SU16s too, but I question the durability.

The SU-16C would be amazing if there was metal instead of polymer
>>
if it was still at the old price then maybe.

AR build from palmetto state armory (even with transfer fee/background) will run 500-600 or so grand total for a 5.56.
>complete lower
>upper, preferably 16+ inch barrel for lack of stamps etc
>bolt and charging handle

Four purchases. It's not a "build" but a gun that someone took apart to clean and oil it, and you just have to put it back together. On a clean, you pull more of it apart than it arrives to you. The lower gets ordered to a dealer you pick up from, the rest to your doorstep.
>>
>>29296700
OP here, the thing that I love the most about this gun is its capacity to fold in half. are there any more sturdy guns with that capacity?
>>
>>29296700
Only worth it if you're in a ban state, and even then the ares SCR is better.

Get a real AR. Ruger AR556 and S&W Gen 2's are in that price range
>>
>>29296776
It's a gimmick feature. If you would like overall size reduction, look into guns with folding stocks or bullpups.
>>
File: CAR_15_Survival_Rifle.jpg (28 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
CAR_15_Survival_Rifle.jpg
28 KB, 600x512
>>29296776
an ar seperates into 2 easy to transport pieces

yeah you cant fire it when dissasembled but you cant fire the keltec either
>>
>>29296700
The reviews really painted this a wholly different than the AR but it seems as though the overwhelming opinion here is that its a shitty overpriced AR
>>
>>29296847
No, a shitty AR is way better than this
>>
>>29296700

Dude, if you want something light, ergo, accurate and cheap just 'build' you own AR with a pencil 16" barrel and light handguard.

I got a complete lower from PSA for $150, and the upper was like $400 including the (relatively) expensive MI rail. It's super light for an AR but doesn't fold like a Kel Tec, but I also trust it more than I would a Kel Tec. Don't have a picture but:

>Complete PSA lower ($160)
>16" Stainless 'pencil' 1:7 barrel ($90 on sale, PSA)
>Basic bitch Anderson upper ($50)
>Decent AIM NibX BCG ($90?)
>MI SS12 Rail ($150 but can save a lot here)
>DD fixed irons ($120)

You can build a really light AR for cheap using decent components. AR bolts, uppers and buffers are proven as fuck and will not break, unlike a Keltec.
>>
>>29297269
>Dude, if you want something light, ergo, accurate and cheap just 'build' you own AR with a pencil 16" barrel and light handguard.

literally this

I've handled an SU16 a bit and an AR is lightyears ahead.

>>29296776

if you really want your gun to fold, there are a couple ways to make that happen with an AR. some of them will even let you fire it while folded. if you don't care about firing while folded you can also do this >>29296825
>>
File: AR.jpg (788 KB, 1920x2140) Image search: [Google]
AR.jpg
788 KB, 1920x2140
>>29297269
here.

Here's my pretty fugly but incredibly light AR. It can be done cheap with decent components and though I may not trust mine for combat persay, I trust it a hell of a lot more than a Keltec SU-16.

It's next to a 16" Rossi 92 to give a size comparison and the 16" 92 is a VERY compact and light rifle. My AR weighs absolutely nothing, especially at the barrel. Going from an A2 to a Pencil barrel is an enormous difference in handling.
>>
>>29296700
>philosophy of use
You've probably been watching nutnfancy videos to get acquainted with firearms and such, but I wanna warn you right now to take everything he says with a grain of salt. He's not a terrible YouTuber but he's biased and really autistic.
>>
>>29296700
Ares SCR is the same thing but made much better (at a penalty for weight, but trust me, it's worth it).
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.