[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Walther_PPK22.jpg (602 KB, 1024x637) Image search: [Google]
Walther_PPK22.jpg
602 KB, 1024x637
Hey /k/, forgive the stupid question. I'm a /noguns about to become a /hasguns and I'd like to know, why is a .22 considered a joke for a concealed carry weapon?

I mean, when I watch forensic crime shows, probably 75% of the time when someone is killed, it's with a .22, so they're obviously lethal, but people say the .380 is about the minimum caliber to be effective for self defense, and some even say that's too small.

Some of the pros of a .22 would be that the ammo is dirt cheap and plentiful, and the recoil is lighter, letting you be more accurate, but on the other hand, obviously a.380 would be more powerful. Do I really need that power?

Thanks. Pic is what I'm thinking of getting.
>>
The reason so many kills are with .22 is because it's common. But if you shoot someone center of mass with .22 you're not reliably putting them down, especially through kinda thick clothes. I wouldn't rely on it.
>>
>>29290960
thats a great gun OP, get it. and it's not considered a joke for concealed carry, there's a reason why the military and police all rely on the venerable .22
>>
File: img20160310_080246.jpg (775 KB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
img20160310_080246.jpg
775 KB, 2656x1494
>>29290960
It's not, there are just such better options available.

My dad is going to be 70 soon and he can only rack the slide of a 22. For instance.
>>
>>29290995
Really? I thought they carried 9mm...

Plz not to into trolling me (if you even are). I know only a little about guns, and I'd like to not get confused.
>>
>>29291047
Maybe he should use a revolver?
If the slide is the only issue maybe one of those "Slide pulls" would help?
>>
>>29290960

ammo reliability, rounds aren't nearly as reliable center fire, also if you have to shoot someone shoot to kill, and you want a round that WILL accomplish this as opposed to a round that may or may not. if you recall some of those forensic files shows people have walked away after taking a .22 to the head.
>>
>>29290960
little guns are good for murders because they're small, cheap, and concealable. weak rounds don't matter as much if you just shoot an unsuspecting person in the head point blank

not as good when you're in a situation where someone is shooting back
>>
>>29291051
He's fucking with you. The reason why people get killed with 22 so much is because it is so cheap, Which makes it appeal to inner city muggers and the like. 22 will kill someone, however not fast and it would take a large amount of shots to drop an enemy. just get a 9mm. it has low recoil unless you're a little bitch, and has plenty of stopping power.
>>
>>29290960
A lot of people place a lot of value on wound vectors. The truth is yes you can kill someone with a .22 but it's a bit harder and relies more on shot placement (which is the most important thing anyway). Realistically you should walk the middle and learn to hit, but hedge your bets. That is why most people don't recommend .22lr
>>
People are stupid that's why.

Bullet's do not have knock down power. The force that you feel from the bullet launching is the same as that which is felt by the person you shoot.

The density of the bullet, speed and area of impact is what sends the bullets inside to do the damage.

A 22 round spins and tumbles inside of the body, chipping off bone and anything else it spirals around into.

Bullet's cause something called hydro static shock. A bubble of fuck you that turns the inside of the wound cavity into...well, a cavity. 22 is small in this regard. It would not cause the same damage as a 38. shot for instance.

That cavity damages organs and tissue and make for plenty nastyness. But so do 22's which travel inside the soft tissue.

The only way to stop people is through a vertebrae shot, a pelvis shot, stopping them from pain, stopping them from bloodloss.
>>
OP the reason people dont recommend 22lr for defense isnt because its not lethal, it has the power to penetrate and get the job done. the biggest problem with 22lr is the nature of the primer. it is rimfire. it is inherently less reliable for ignition.

you are new to guns so here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire_ammunition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centerfire_ammunition
>>
>>29291351
Also
>>29291405
Yes.
>>
Semi-related but would it be safe to take the furniture off of one of my .22 rifles and shoot it?

I don't think I'll burn myself unless I shoot it a bunch...right?
>>
>>29290960

.22lr also performs terribly out of tiny barrels, since it's a slower burning powder. A .380 out of a 3" barrel (i.e. out of a PPK) is going to have four times more muzzle energy than a .22lr, and that's a lot.

Ironically, even .22 magnum CC pistols shoot almost the exact same as a regular .22lr for the same reason.
>>
thanks everyone. I'm learning a lot about ballistics that i didn't know
>>
>>29291351
Heart shots, if they penetrate into the actual heart, are also instant stops. The blood pressure drop is too much and you fall unconscious immediately.

The only crapshoot is that the heart is protected by the strongest bones the ribcage has to offer. You can hit dead center where the heart is and have your bullet deflected by the sternum.

Bones have always been a huge pain in the ass when it comes to ballistics. They can and have deflected smaller caliber bullets.
>>
>>29290960
The reason why most people are killed with .22 in crime is that that's what criminals have - dirt cheap .22 pistols with dirt cheap .22 ammo.

Yeah, it kills people, but it's not what you would consider "reliable" for doing so, which is always exactly what you want for a self-defense gun - to function reliably and reliably kill someone if necessary.

tl;dr get .380, but .22 is fine if you want to just practice shooting all the time and don't want to worry about ammo costs
>>
>>29291103
Very nice, he does have a revolver
>>
pls respond >>29291555
>>
>>29291633
this anon knows his stuff, the only way people die is from shock, lowering someones blood pressure (with bullets) causes this

I live in england and so i have to carry a barometic chamber around with me for self defence
>>
>>29291952
Kek
>>
>>29290960
Less reliable and it doesn't pass the 12 inch test. Make no mistake, despite what the retards will tell you, .22 is plenty lethal. It just isn't powerful enough to reliably destroy the central nervous system.
>>
>>29291633
>if they penetrate into the actual heart, are also instant stops
Nope, even that takes time. Not to mention that due to oxygen kept in reserve in muscles and the brain actually allows someone to keep fighting for a few seconds after their heart stops.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.