[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you were a combat aircraft designer, what would your design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13
File: MiG-Infographic.jpg (103 KB, 880x900) Image search: [Google]
MiG-Infographic.jpg
103 KB, 880x900
I'm curious.
>>
File: 1446443029464.jpg (13 KB, 600x310) Image search: [Google]
1446443029464.jpg
13 KB, 600x310
>>29290250
I would build fighters to excel at operating in the danger zone
>>
I freely admit I wouldn't have jumped on the stealth train.

I would have instead combined the ECM and fighter aircraft roles, giving combat aircraft more electronic-warfare capabilities.

ECM is love, ECM is life.
>>
Depends. Who's my target customer? What kind of doctrine do they use? What's the quality of engines I can expect? Or avionics and weapons? Those all are huge factors in design.
>>
>>29290250
>what would your design philosophy be?
Make it as expensive as humanly possible and keep making up bullshit to drag out the design and development process for at least 10 years.
>>
File: x47-B.jpg (459 KB, 1920x1281) Image search: [Google]
x47-B.jpg
459 KB, 1920x1281
>>29290250
What era? What role?

>4th Gen
Fighter mafia all the way. Based F-16 for life.

>5th Gen
Sensor fusion multirole stealth. JSF is my waifu.

>6th Gen
Stealthy missile truck interceptor, that acts as AWACs for UCAVs.
>>
File: t-51d_15.jpg (176 KB, 1000x550) Image search: [Google]
t-51d_15.jpg
176 KB, 1000x550
>>29290250
Cheap prop aircraft with optronic sensors, gun pods, hellfire missiles, and a mini-brrrrrt for CAS.

Make thousands of them.

>HURR DURR, CAS DOESN'T HAVE TO BE CLOSE
Yeah, so?

Picture this
>Be insurgent
>Good morning Afghanistan
>After a good day fucking goats, ablutions, and fucking goats again, getting ready to attack a NATO convoy for the glory of Allah.
>Plant IED and hide near the road to storm the unsuspecting burgers
>EFP rekts the first MRAP, burgers inside BTFO, convoy stops, we charge.
>We hear a buzz growing louder and louder
>24 mini-mustangs appear from nowhere, unleashing a hailstorm of 7.62 in our general direction, then drop tiny bombs around the convoy.
>We shoot back at the tiny airplanes, our AK bullits penetrate, smoke comes out of the exhaust pipes of three aircrafts, one of them loses his engine
>The pilot crash lands his aircraft (ejection seats were deemed too expensive) he pops his canopy and limps back towards the convoy: "I FLY, I CRASH, I FLY AGAIN"
>Enraged by the downing of one of their own, the mini mustangs mag-dump on my brothers, trying to flee. The remaining soldiers of Allah hide in a neighboring compound.
>A hellfire missile barrage. The compound is now a pile of rubble.
>I'm the only one left, I look at the sky, ready to accept my fate, thinking of the 72 virgin goats waiting for me
>The unknown aircraft, apparently empty of ammo and ordinance, perform loops and barrel rolls for no apparent reason. The two smoking aircrafts trace hearts in the sky
>After a while, they leave in perfect formation towards the sunset, never to be heard from again.
>I go back home and fuck a goat

Picture related
>>
>>29290250
Fuck that. I have no idea how stealth really works, how radar really works, what missiles can do or will foreseeably do in the potential service life of a new plane. I'll just keep shitposting about personal weapons and gear and leave this one to the experts.
>>
>>29290250
>forward swept wings
>canards
>four wings instead of two, allows the wings to be shorter and stiffer
>built around a 105mm auto loading howitzer, because guns > missiles for dogfighting
>two engines, one on each side of the howitzer
>leave out the RADAR, you don't need to waste the weight on it when you're going up against stealth planes
>prone pilot so the pilot won't go into G-lock when they tear the airframe apart
>cameras around the plane so the pilot doesn't lose situational awareness
Yeah, I really have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
File: 1439446245199.jpg (93 KB, 635x720) Image search: [Google]
1439446245199.jpg
93 KB, 635x720
>>29291234
Lovely Anon, lovely
>>
>>29290250
Depends on pre-existing air-force capabilities, along with likely targets.
>>
Copy whatever the Americans are doing haha.
>>
>>29290250
GO FAST

CAN'T GET SHOT DOWN IF MISSILE CAN'T KEEP UP
WHO CARES ABOUT ENGAGEMENT RANGE WHEN YOU'RE SO FAST YOU CAN CLOSE IN ENOUGH TO SLAP THE ENEMY PILOT IN THE DICK BEFORE HIS RADAR EVEN BEEPS
FUCK STEALTH, CAN'T CATCH THE PLANE IF IT'S THERE AND GONE BEFORE THEIR SCREENS CAN EVEN REFRESH
FUCK TURNING, JUST MAKE ANOTHER LOOP AROUND EARTH
>>
>>29290250

The Russian design philosophy is fine. But their designers, industry, and air arms of service can't deliver on the good ideas in their doctrine. It's their shit production, technology, maintenance, and training regimens that fuck them up.
>>
>>29290335
Stealth makes defensive ECM phenomenally more effective.
>>
>>29291961
Good luck finding a power source for that.
>>
Build it around the biggest pair of engines possible.
>>
My "design philosophy" would be mostly along the same lines as Ed Heinemann, with a dose of Paul MacCready as well. Kelly Johnson a shit.

As for what I would design, that would depend on the contract of course.
>>
>>29291986

Yeah, but trying to beat America at the stealth game is pointless.
>>
>>29291696
Would a modern biplane with forward swept wings be that much more maneuverable when compared to other modern designs?
>>
File: 747-ALCM-Launcher.jpg (69 KB, 864x549) Image search: [Google]
747-ALCM-Launcher.jpg
69 KB, 864x549
>>29290250

I'd ignore fighters altogether and just mount flak guns and missiles on a modified 767. It worked in WW2 with B17s. I'd also do pic related. If the navy complains then they can make longer aircraft carriers.

fight me
>>
>>29290250
weaponized and incrementally modernized blackbirds

AND NOTHING ELSE
>>
>>29292100
You don't have to be the best for stealth to be helpful. Saying "we might as well not even bother" is stupid and wrong and you're shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
I would take an AH-64 longbow and replace the ordnance with two turbine engines. One 30mm cannon is enough if you can fly mach 2.
>>
My design philosophy would be retire without ever designing something new because it will take forever for the rest of the world to be on the same level as the f-22
>>
>>29292929
Lockheed pls leave
>>
>>29292219

I didn't say not try. I said "wouldn't try to beat." Yeah, there would be stealth features but not at the expense of maneuverability + more ECM.

Thus I wouldn't make stealth my top priority. I'd prioritize ECM and maneuverability.
>>
>>29293205

I also wouldn't mind improving my own sensors.

I've always been fascinated by that device from "Alien" that found things through changes in air density, and it goes without saying aircraft can't hide from such a sensor. You can't alter how dense an aircraft is compared to the air.
>>
>>29293292
Yeah, you look for "whats NOT there" so to speak>
>>
>>29293346
>>29293292

yeah... that's not how it works in real life.
>>
>>29290250
It would have to do vertical takeoff.

it would have to be able to be fixed with scrap.

it would be like a helicopter but with jet power.

there would be no parking between 7 am to 9 am.

thats it. the perfect machine
>>
ITT the aeronautics equivalent of old crusty fuds yearning for WWII. Kek. I'm surprised no one mentioned gliders yet. Wish you old duds to die off already. Martha is waiting for your next Bingo game, gramps.
>>
File: Bianca 09.jpg (398 KB, 2600x1800) Image search: [Google]
Bianca 09.jpg
398 KB, 2600x1800
-Altitude: Go higher than everyone else.
-Keen Senses: See farther than everyone else.
-GIANT FUCKING REPTILES: Everything should be influenced by biology, specifically pterosaurs and dinosaurs.
-Aeroplankton: The plane should be able to harvest aeroplankton for fuel.
-Style: Whatever the plane is doing, it should look damned good while doing it.
>>
>>29293362

Yes, but it would be extremely useful if the technology became a reality.

Even a stealth plane can't hide its air density. You pick up any signature whose air density corresponds to that of an enemy aircraft, you've found the invisible.

Trying to detect stealth aircraft with radar is futile. You have to look for them with alternate means that they can't hide from.
>>
>>29293445
Unmanned stealth gliders are the future
>>
>>29290250
747 with CIWS turrets.

Think a modernized B17.

Enemy has SAM's? Who gives a fuck, CIWS swats them.

Fuck stealth, we just fly straight in not giving a fuck, dump a shitload of bombs, and fly straight back out, middle finger up the whole way.
>>
File: image.jpg (217 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217 KB, 1024x768
Gripen-type platform. Simple, low-cost initial version that can be scaled to customer's needs and is interoperable with a number of different types of ordnance. Go with some LO characteristics but realize that for a 'budget' fighter stealth isn't a feasible option.
Only difference is I may decided to go with two engines instead of one but it seems like that's become less of a stigma.
>>
File: 1439778563984.jpg (41 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
1439778563984.jpg
41 KB, 500x555
>>29293590

I'm sure that idea is retarded for all sorts of reasons, but the idea of modern strategic bombers with missilefucking CIWS systems makes my peepee hard.
>>
File: Shotshell Bomb.png (188 KB, 862x847) Image search: [Google]
Shotshell Bomb.png
188 KB, 862x847
>>29293879
>Idea is retarded
>Makes your peepee hard

/tg/ calls that the "rule of cool".
>>
>>29291696
As much as I love forward swept wings, they're a bitch when the airplane is stalling/close to stalling speed (tend to cause/remain in stall condition), unless you invest a gazillion dollars in designing a composite structure capable of compensating for this flaw.
I don't really know how much modern fly by wire could make it easier for the pilot to recover from stall, but if dogfighting is of any importance for my customers, chances are he won't like a plane that risks plummeting down when the pilot tries to dump some speed.
>I personally think stalling maneuvers aren't that much useful (why would you even WANT to dump airspeed outside of airshows?), and the higher maneuverability of forward swept wings at high pitch angles could still give it an edge in fighter-fighter combat though.

>honestly, is close-range dogfighting even that much relevant when air to air missiles and airborne radars can lock on from at least several miles away?
>>
File: Air Force Pistol.jpg (154 KB, 596x393) Image search: [Google]
Air Force Pistol.jpg
154 KB, 596x393
>>29290279
under rated post
>>
I tend to favor multiroles and would design most of my planes as supersonic interceptors/light bombers in the vein of the F-111 (basically just upgrade it, I love the aardvark)

I probably would avoid stealth for the most part add it would drive up the expense
>>
>>29293565
To be honest, it is technically possible to detect perturbation in air density due to wing lift. Air at different pressures has slightly different refraction coefficient, so some kind of method could actually be devised.
The only issue is coming up with a passive detector, otherwise you'd need some kind of laser emitter scanning the sky and a detector (some sort of camera?) measuring the characteristics of the atmospheric scattering.
Sharp fluctuations *could* indicate local perturbations of air's optical characteristics, but good luck trying to understand the altitude of that perturbation.
(unless you use two different emitters at two wavelengths, collimating them at sweeping altitudes and scanning the sky, but then the scanning would become absolutely too slow)

>no hate, everything pulled straight out of my buttocks, just trying to extrapolate from my (admittedly quite limited) knowledge of optics.
>>
>>29294438

It would probably take a good while for such technology to be perfected.
>>
>>29294495
Yup, completely in the realm of sci-fi.
And even if feasible, it would still be easier and cheaper to keep improving radar arrays rather than investing in a completely new technology.
>>
>>29290250
slim disk or parallelogram (diamond) shaped craft

only a retard would stick to conventional means
>>
>>29294598
yeah you'd pretty much need a Gundam-tier jamming system that makes it so only optical tracking is possible for that to be in any way feasible.
>>
>>29290250
i'd design it to please /k/, so it would be built around a 57mm naval cannon, armored with era and composites and have swing wing geometry. i'd call it something like the f/a-10-14 tomcat warthog. its primary role would be cas and dogfighting and it wouldn't be stealth because apparently 30 year old russian and chinese radars can pick it up easily.
>>
File: You Was Mewp.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
You Was Mewp.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>29293460
>Fueled by aeroplankton

Tell me more.
>>
Why doesn't the Air Force inject gelatin into their pilots' blood? More viscous blood = higher G tolerance.
>>
>>29295328
I dunno, why don't the Marines forcefeed their women soldiers until they're too fat to move? More cushion for the pushin' and they can't escape.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.