[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Propaganda Bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 30
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 750x1107) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 750x1107
Just got this bullshit in my email:
>I am an 8th grade student at McDougle middle school, Chapel HIll North Carolina, and I am doing a project in my English class on how 8th graders can change the world for the better through social media. I've decided to start a petition to strengthen gun laws in North Carolina because I feel that everyone would be and feel much safer if there were stronger gun laws and fewer guns.
Please join me and sign my petition asking Governor McCrory to protect North Carolina families by strengthening gun laws.
Every day in America 89 people die from gun violence. That adds up to over 32,000 deaths from gunshot wounds every year. These numbers show that too many people are dying for senseless reasons.

>Some people, like the National Rifle Association, say Americans need guns to protect themselves. However, data show that more often than not, guns end up hurting the victim rather than the attacker. Even if you do use your gun in self defense, it is unlikely you will successfully fend off the attacker. Furthermore, when your gun is not being used for self defense, it is still very dangerous. A child or even an adult could misfire it and put an innocent life to waste as a result of a senseless act that could have been prevented if that gun had not been there.

I feel like we should make a counter poll.
>>
>>29289338
Alright let's do it. Any write fags on /k/ or am I going have to do this on my own?
>>
>>29289338
>>Continue
>In my very own community of Chapel Hill, there have been two recent tragic stories of gun violence that brought this issue to my home. On Christmas day, a 1-year-old was shot by stray bullets from a passing car when she was playing in front of her house. Also, last year on March 3, three Muslim UNC students were shot because of a conflict over a parking space. These were senseless deaths with loss of promising lives. We need to do everything we can to stop this from ever happening again.
>Just think about how horrible it would be if someone you loved was killed, just because of some guys having fun with a gun in their car or due to an argument over a parking space! If we had stronger gun laws, and fewer guns, there would be a much lower risk of you or a loved one being killed by a gun for senseless reasons.
>In order to stop the deaths caused by guns we need common sense gun laws such as those advocated by North Carolinians Against Gun Violence:
Have stricter background checks when purchasing guns, particularly at gun shows.
Lower the tolerance level for uncooperative gun buyers.
Require county permits for all handguns.
"Family Knows Best" laws that will allow families to notify police when a family member is experiencing a mental health crisis.
Background checks for every single gun sale.
Bans on ammunition magazines that hold more than ten rounds.
>By signing my petition, together we will have the power to ask the governor of North Carolina, Pat McCrory, to pay attention to the way guns are used in North Carolina and to keep all of our families safe.
Thank y'all for the support!(useful idiots)

We need too work again this shit.
>also Le crying Obama
>>
>>29289355
>if we had stronger gun laws and fewer deaths, there will be less gun deaths
What the fuck is it with with these people and 'gun deaths'? Why are 'gun deaths' more inherently evil than any other kind of murder? Why can't they accept that lowering 'gun deaths' does not lower homicide as a total?
>>
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 1334x750
I'm a Texas fag and felt like bringing this up here other then everyone in North Carolina most of my extended family lives in NC/SC and don't want this shit happen too the ones that have firearms.
>image typical Texan
>>
>>29289338
I would bet money that an eighth grader was not involved in this. Those are some Kellerman-tier talking points being thrown around.
>>
>>29289355
>Having fun with a gun in their car
So drivebys count as "fun" now?
Cause it sure sounds like that kid died from a drive by.
>>
File: tom.jpg (11 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
11 KB, 255x200
>>29289355
>literally petitioning an executive to make new laws
Jesus fucking Christ we need to make a petition to change.org to filter the petitions they allow based on feasibility.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 750x1230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 750x1230
Just emailed this back too them.
>>
>>29289432
Kek
>>
>>29289404
This is exactly what I thought.
>>
>>29289338

>>29288681

Propaganda just like Ubisoft
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 486x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 486x441
>>29289348
Do what this anon said and help write a new counter Poll/change.org petition.
>>
we already have universal background checks on handguns, what more do they want?
>>
>>29289753
No guns what so ever, even police.
>>
>>29289759
NC isn't that bad, but it's def worse than a lot of states. so many faggots here
>>
>>29289696
petition to change "gun free zones" to legally "disarmed victim zones"
>>
>>29289764
They want too reflate guns so heavily most people won't bother going through with buying one, but that's not good enough. Then when something happens even if it's not in the state,
BOOM, even more laws. Years down the line its air guns, BB guns, then Nerf guns aren't allowed then no sporks and butter knife.
>slippery slope is real. Look at Eurpoe and Austrila.
>>
>>29289773
This
>>
>>29289784
Yeah, You have to go to the sheriffs office twice to even BUY a handgun here
If I decided I wanted a handgun one day, I would have to wait a month to buy it if i didnt have a PPP
>>
File: 1449651170091.png (644 KB, 835x710) Image search: [Google]
1449651170091.png
644 KB, 835x710
>>29289348

Writer fag here. Is it reaaaaally worth it to make a counter petition?

We all know nobody reads change.org petitions that are in favor of non-librul stuff.
>>
File: 1452311698961.jpg (580 KB, 864x720) Image search: [Google]
1452311698961.jpg
580 KB, 864x720
>>29289378
Because guns are made to kill babbies, and nothing more. Sure, more people die from car collisions than guns, and more people die from knives or blunt objects than "assault weapons," but knives and bats and shit have real life purposes.

The Second Amendment was for hunting, remember? The founding fathers didn't know we would have ghost guns with 30 caliber magazine clips.
>>
File: laughing 1346.gif (2 MB, 320x384) Image search: [Google]
laughing 1346.gif
2 MB, 320x384
>>29289432
>>
>>29289355
Most of these are all laws I would actually want except for the 10 round magazine meme, but you know if they were passed some awful bullshit would be shoehorned in with it.
>>
>>29289822
Make it not just from the right and liberation side, tons of Liberals on here, make it about what apart off most gun control too some level was about, like with Jim Crow and other early laws like that and (forgot bills name) in 1968 that was mainly about restricting Saturday Night Specials and keeping cheap affordable guns away from the poor and the black community. Most gun laws hurt the little man and the minorities the most.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 182x249
>>29289916
>Most of these are all laws I would actually want
>>
>>29289916
How do you make a background check stricter? And how do you regulate the "tolerance level" for gun buyers?

Families can already notify police about mental health crises, and if it's serious enough, the person can get involuntarily committed. Then the feds are required to know about it. Why pass a law already in place?
>>
>>29289412
>"they didndu nuffin! They wuz just playin the game drive by and Dodge da bullets!"
>>
>>29289355
Le anime reaction pic
>>29289949
I was more referring to enforcing background checks better. The gun show loophole is a huge one that allows a lot of people who really shouldn't ever own guns to get them. All gun sales should require a background check period. The only people it hurts are those who shouldn't have guns in the first place. Sure you might have to wait longer, but that's a small price to pay compared to both having guns in the hands of criminals or the other extreme of having all kinds of retarded restrictions and bans like here in commiefornia.
>>
We need guns you dumb fuck people who commit crimes with guns don't legally own them they buy them from criminals. The worst thing you can do is take away guns from a law abiding citizen you ignorant piece of shit. Goddamn nigger president needs to get clapped
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 640x360
Haven't watched it yet but a new Crowder gun control debunking video came out: http://youtu.be/IULSD8VwXEs
>>
>>29289338
>Chapel Hill

That's your fucking problem right there
>>
>>29289994
>The gun show loophole
https://youtu.be/UEihkjKNhN8
>>
>hi I'm Timmy Everyboy, please don't be alarmed when the Government workers do pest control in your neighborhood, ignore the screaming.

Fuck our government.
>>
>>29289994
By gun show loophole, which is just a scary leftist term, I'm gonna assume you mean mandating background checks between private people, not just people and FFLs. Well, how are you going to know if I sold a gun to someone? I could sell a gun to my friend tomorrow, and the government would never know.
>>
Fuck off, kid. If anything we need less laws.
>>
>>29290021
Most honest and good sellers perform background checks anyways. There is no law forcing them to, so someone could get around it if they want to.
>>29290044
Because laws aren't intended for those who are going to ignore them anyways. You can make all the regulation in the world and it still wouldn't completely remove guns from people or stop them from selling them. Currently it's possible to inadvertently sell to psychopaths or criminals without realizing it, and that's the real problem.

Also some kind of firearm registry would go a long way. FOPA is stupid. A registry would only protect those who own guns and help enforcement keep track of who owns guns.
>>
File: 08f.jpg (21 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
08f.jpg
21 KB, 600x600
>>29290108
Registration is the first step to confiscation, Anon. Get outta here with that drivel.
>>
>>29290167
>live in Montana
>go out to buy rifle
>fill out form that takes 2 minutes tops to finish
>doesn't even mention gun on it
>pay dude with cash
>walk out door with new gat
Feels good
>>
>>29290003
>vox
>trust-able
Top kek.
>>
File: oldfag.jpg (683 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
oldfag.jpg
683 KB, 1000x667
>>29290167
Like you could stop anything if they decided to confiscate all guns. Muh slippery slope memes.
>>
>>29290222
It would be based on the honor system and everyone knows how well that goes with 922r and the SKS.
>>
>>29290044
This.
>live in NC
>mandatory Pistol Purchase Permit for all handgun sales, including face-to-face
>buddy and I agree it's bullshit, exchange cash for pistol
>government would never know, recently moved, could easily claim I bought it before I moved
>>
>>29289338
lived in greensboro
nigs gunna nog
>>
>>29290240
If they wanted to confiscate everything, you fucking know it wouldn't be on the honor system. As much as people like to wank about about confiscatin muh guns, they couldn't fucking stop it if they wanted to.
>>
>>29290267
Plenty of people are willing to fight for principles they believe in, and others have a bad history of boating accidents. How's it feel to have no convictions, you bootlicking coward?
>>
>>29290222

Tell me anon, who would go door to door confiscating all guns?
>>
File: 1457876013968.png (2 MB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
1457876013968.png
2 MB, 1440x960
>>29289338
>Some people, like the National Rifle Association, say Americans need guns to protect themselves.

It is not a matter of who says what. If owning weapons for defensive purposes is an invalid notion, then the Secret Service agents around Obama must disarm immediately.

>However, data show that more often than not, guns end up hurting the victim rather than the attacker.

Citation needed.

Also, just because there is a risk of another innocent party being struck does not invalidate the right to self defense.

>Even if you do use your gun in self defense, it is unlikely you will successfully fend off the attacker.

Why? Citation needed.

>Furthermore, when your gun is not being used for self defense, it is still very dangerous.

Nonsensical statement based on an irrational premise. A thousand things inside of a house present dangers, even when not in use. For example, a gas can in the garage could go up in flames if left too close to a heat source. Even worse, a wall socket may short out for no reason and burn the house down.

>A child or even an adult could......

Could be applied to a thousand other things. Hell, you could even make it illegal to have appendages, because if no one has hands to hold a gun, no one can shoot anyone.

Who the hell are these people?
>>
>>29290294
The situation that the US would have to be in if they wanted to disarm the public would be bad. Like "I heard my neighbor might have a gun" and your door gets kicked in bad. Nobody could stop it if they really wanted to do it, and that's the scary part.
>>
>>29290323
I would argue that it would be a cakewalk to stop it.
>>
>>29290323
If 0.005% of gun owners fought back every single cop in america would be dead dawg
>>
>>29290108
>Because laws aren't intended for those who are going to ignore them anyways.
>More laws will prevent people from committing crimes.

Do you see the problem with your thinking?

>A registry would only protect those who own guns and help enforcement keep track of who owns guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Firearms_Registry

Cost overruns: The net annual operating cost of the program, was originally estimated to be $2 million. In April 2002 the tab for implementing the registry rose to $629 million. In February 2004, documents obtained by Zone Libre of Télévision de Radio-Canada suggested that the gun registry has cost around $2 billion so far.

Effects on public safety: Former Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Julian Fantino opposed the gun registry, stating in a press release in 2003, "We have an ongoing gun crisis including firearms-related homicides lately in Toronto, and a law registering firearms has neither deterred these crimes nor helped us solve any of them. None of the guns we know to have been used were registered, although we believe that more than half of them were smuggled into Canada from the United States. The firearms registry is long on philosophy and short on practical results considering the money could be more effectively used for security against terrorism as well as a host of other public safety initiatives."
>>
>Everyday 89 people die from Gun Violence in the United States
>89
bahahaha

I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole, but that's fucking NOTHING. I'm too lazy to google it at the moment, but I know heart disease and car accidents kill far more people per day. But you don't see anyone pushing for 'car control' or 'McDonald's control'.
>>
File: 1456954812931.jpg (36 KB, 480x534) Image search: [Google]
1456954812931.jpg
36 KB, 480x534
>>29290244
Here in NJ, you need a new pistol permit for each handgun you buy, and they're only valid for 90 days from issue date. My buddy's dad just got 2 of them to buy a .380 Bersa and a S&W 1911, but there's a mandatory 30 day wait in between handgun sales.

>>29290108
My point is that the only way you can track the private sale of firearms is by creating a gun registry, so you know where every registered firearm is at all times in case someone does want to sell them privately
>>
File: 1456430048554.jpg (314 KB, 1005x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456430048554.jpg
314 KB, 1005x1200
>>29290481
About 33,000 people die in car collisions ever year, which is about the same number as people that die from bullets every year, so the statistic checks out.

What it fails to mention, though, is that about 23,000 gun deaths each year are suicides, and of the 9,000 remaining homicides, over 2/3 of them are gang related. But instead of addressing crime in the inner city and the breakdown of the black family unit, we blame assault weapons, even though all those Basketball-Americans are using Hi Points and Glocks.

Still, I hear people push for McDonald's control. That's why they serve "healthy" salad now.
>>
>>29290509
>Registry
Yeah no. The government, or anyone for that matter, has no right to know what I have and don't have, unless I have been indited for a crime and a warrant was issued, or I allow them to know.
>>
>>29290554
>Glock 23
>being anywhere near as ugly as a hipoint

Comeon son. I get some people don't like the Glock's aesthetics but that's just asinine.
>>
File: 1454055770166.jpg (72 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1454055770166.jpg
72 KB, 500x418
>>29290605
I'm a Glock fanboy, but we both know they're popular for dindus. The Glock is ugly as fuck in the most beautiful way if you ask me.

>>29290576
I agree, but if we have universal background checks on private sales, a registry is almost guaranteed to come along with it.
>>
>>29290222
How are they going to know who has them without a registry? Just say I don't own any or give up a sacrificial POS gun.
>>
>>29290644
implying a background check for a firearm doesn't already drag you into a registry...
>>
>>29290644
Glocks aren't ugly at all. They're blocky in a way that looks good. XDs on the otherhand...
>>
>>29290715
It does technically, but from what I understand, the records are destroyed after 30 days unless you came up as a felon trying to lie and buy. But of course that's what they'll say.

>>29290737
They're ugly because nothing about them is pretty. But I think they're pretty just for that reason. I dunno, it's hard to explain.
XDs are fugly, but I shoot better with them than I do with Glocks. I don't like them, though. Not a fan of the trigger pull and length of the handle.
>>
>>29290302
I believe a willing act of suicide constitutes increased risk of hurting yourself according to those statistics
>>
>>29290302
>Who the hell are these people?
Bradyites or a related group that considers the goal more important than the truth.
>>
>>29289994
I guessing you've never been to a gun show. You're aware that you can't purchase a gun AT ALL without a background check, right? Doesn't matter if it's a gun show or not, and private firearm sales that don't have background checks are illegal. There is no "gun show loophole."
>>
>>29290845
>private firearm sales that don't have background checks are illegal
That's plain false.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>29290845
>You're aware that you can't purchase a gun AT ALL without a background check, right?
>>
>>29289338
Send him an email response asking for his sources. Maybe you can teach the kid a lesson about critical thinking, or at very least piss off who ever actually wrote this and pretended to be an 8th grader to garner sympathy.
>>
>>29289994
There is no gun show loophole. It is not a fucking loophole.

It is an explicit exemption for private party transfers, and the seller is still responsible for making sure he or she does not sell to a prohibited person.
>>
>>29290891
And if you knowingly sell to someone who cannot legally own a firearm you're guilty of violating that law.
>>
>>29290222
Let me guess.

muh drones, right?
>>
>>29290177
It's talking shit about Vox.
>>
>>29289338
>muh 30,000
about 2/3 of those are suicides
just another bullshit misleading statistic that gets passed around because it sounds impressive like the "70 cents on the $1.00" wage gap bullshit
>>
>>29290845

Not federally.
>>
>>29290222
>Bury guns
>Hide guns in walls
>Disassemble guns as parts
>Tragic boating accident

I ain't got no guns, what you talking about?
>>
File: onehungrycrow.jpg (54 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
onehungrycrow.jpg
54 KB, 450x299
>>29289348
>I have had many names, ages, and homes. In my time I have seen millions of innocent human beings brutally slaughtered at the hands of their own governments. Men, women, children, families, friends. Each time I saw murderous atrocities committed by heartless rulers like Hitler, Stailn, Pol Pot, and so many others all I could do was wail and gnash my teeth because I had no suitable weapon with which to change the dreadful course of history unfolding before me. Having previously been disarmed, along with the rest of my countrymen, under the insidious and seemingly omnipotent promise of "safety". Always for "safety".
>This message is a warning to you America. It's not too late yet. Take friends shooting, vote pro gun, work to repeal the NFA, Hughes amendment, and import bans.
>Never give them your guns. Never.
>>
>>29290769
>30 days
Nah man. I used to work for a sporting goods store, those 4473s sit in a drawer for 20 years.
>>
>>29289689
Go back to your division conspiracy thread you faggot
>>
>>29290948
Exactly. Also if you willingly sell to someone across state lines or a resident of another state. You do that without an FFL and 4473, you're a felon.
>>
>>29291069
Yep. And if the store closes down they hand them over to the ATF.
>>
>>29289338>>29289348

I'm a writefag with too much time and don't want to study for my O-chem exam anymore (FUCK YOUR DEHYDROHALOGENATION AND CARBONYL MECHANISMS) so I figured I'd wing a counter-proposal, or at least part of it.

Dear citizen,
We are a group dedicated to the preservation of a Constitutionally guaranteed right and government accountability. As such we feel it important to shed light on an issue relevant to our society- gun safety and gun rights.

According to the CDC (insert citation) approximately 33,000 people die of "gun violence" every year. Unfortunately the CDC term is nebulous and unclear, and hides the true statistics relevant to a safer society. Of those 33,000 who die every year and 89 who die every day, 2/3rds of all deaths are intentional suicides. Of the remaining homicides 2/3rds are gang related and involve handguns; many of the involved firearms are stolen. Still others are accidental due to improper use, improper maintenance, or gross negligence on behalf of the user. The simple fact of the matter is you are incredibly unlikely to be harmed by a random murderer, particularly a murderer with a rifle. The number of deaths due to rifle-pattern firearms pales even further when compared to weapons of convenience such as hammers or kives (insert citation).

In our "change.org" petition we seek to change the CDC's definition of "gun violence" and "gun deaths" to exclude suicide and accidents and more accurately reflect the murder rate due to firearms. We believe such a clarification would drastically improve the quality of the dialogue in our nation's town halls and legislatures. Your signature would go a long way to ensure a responsible, educated, and clear discussion on this important issue.
So /k/ I think this is modest and far more achievable. Maybe needs reworded a tad, I can't remember the citations off the top of my head, but I think it's a decent start. Polite, factual, and short.
>>
>>29291069
The whole 30 day thing always sounded sketchy to me, not surprised to hear that they sit there forever. So let's face the music: Are all of our guns bought from FFLs registered anyways?
>>
>>29291099
And the ATF takes them right to a warehouse filled with millions of other 4473's completely unfiled.
>>
>>29291124
Same text, just broken up and green texted for clarity

I'm a writefag with too much time and don't want to study for my O-chem exam anymore (FUCK YOUR DEHYDROHALOGENATION AND CARBONYL MECHANISMS) so I figured I'd wing a counter-proposal, or at least part of it.

>Dear citizen,
>We are a group dedicated to the preservation of a Constitutionally guaranteed right and government accountability. As such we feel it important to shed light on an issue relevant to our society- gun safety and gun rights.

>According to the CDC (insert citation) approximately 33,000 people die of "gun violence" every year. Unfortunately the CDC term is nebulous and unclear, and hides the true statistics relevant to a safer society. Of those 33,000 who die every year and 89 who die every day, 2/3rds of all deaths are intentional suicides. Of the remaining homicides 2/3rds are gang related and involve handguns; many of the involved firearms are stolen. Still others are accidental due to improper use, improper maintenance, or gross negligence on behalf of the user. The simple fact of the matter is you are incredibly unlikely to be harmed by a random murderer, particularly a murderer with a rifle. The number of deaths due to rifle-pattern firearms pales even further when compared to weapons of convenience such as hammers or kives (insert citation).

>In our "change.org" petition we seek to change the CDC's definition of "gun violence" and "gun deaths" to exclude suicide and accidents and more accurately reflect the murder rate due to firearms. We believe such a clarification would drastically improve the quality of the dialogue in our nation's town halls and legislatures. Your signature would go a long way to ensure a responsible, educated, and clear discussion on this important issue.

So /k/ I think this is modest and far more achievable. Maybe needs reworded a tad, I can't remember the citations off the top of my head, but I think it's a decent start. Polite, factual, and short.
>>
>>29289338

>8th grader
>social media
>change the world

Even if this is true it's terrible
>>
>>29291138
Explicitly, no. At the same time, nothing really stops the ATF from sifting through the 4473s they have or even going to a particular FFL and auditing the 4473s.

The problem is, like >>29291154 said, it's all unfiled because FOPA says no registries so they'd have to manually go through them all.
>>
>>29289404
its probably written by their rich fuck yuppie scum chapel hill libtard parents.

never mind how they ignore the bottoms part of town that is actually pretty crazy. and had cops beat on the homeless after the Eve Carlson murder, which was done by ninogs from Durham, who raped, murdered her, and drove around with her dead body in car for a few days.
>>
>>29291174
>Freedom of speech

Not without the 2nd amendment, right?
>>
>>29290845
>I guessing you've never been to a gun show.

i don't think you've ever been to a gunshow.
>>
>>29289764
those stupid ass jim crow handgun laws need to go. the cops here have no clue on gun laws either, they think you need permits to buy bullets here. seriously. i saw one cop have a shitfit at walmart because dude bought a box of that whitebox 5.56 without having a permit from the sheriffs office.
>>
>>29291227
What? He's not saying that the government should censor the kid's speech, just that the kid's a dumbass. The 1st amendment doesn't protect you from being called out.
>>
>>29291069
This, I work at big 5 and I can look up any gun sale that's taken place since that location opened 18 years ago.
>>
>>29291265
I've never understood the source of this Fudd myth
>>
>>29291327
Fudd's gonna Fudd. Don't try to understand it.
>>
>>29290845
What shithole do you live in? Private sales are perfectly legal in the U.S.
That's what the "gunshow loophole" is. Right to assembly and private sales combined.
>>
>>29290175
>fill out form that takes 2 minutes tops to finish
>doesn't even mention gun on it
I hate registries as much as the next guy, but you're full of shit.

4473s record the type of gun and SN of the gun being transferred.
>>
32,000 gun deaths

20,000-22,000 a year are suicides. out of a total 42,000 suicides a year. 10,000 suicides are suffocation and 6,000 are poisoning.

even countries with incredibly heavy restrictions on owning guns, korea and Japan, have much higher rates of suicide than the US.
>>
>>29289338
Welp, every day 2400 Americans die from alcohol, tobacco, and obesity. That's one death every 36 seconds. If people really wanted to stop senseless deaths, they would start hounding their elected officials to make the FDA and the ATF start doing their jobs.
>>
>>29290003
Crowder's face annoys me for some reason, but so far (halfway through or so) it's been worth a watch
>>
>>29291532
Maybe because he's Canadian. He makes some pretty great pro guns and anti SJW videos.
>>
>>29289338
Maybe the kid should learn to shoot a .22
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 1213x1098) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 1213x1098
>>29291124
>>29291164
Yes, very damn good so far. Needs some more key points and citations but better than I could do. Thanks anon.
>>
>>29292125
Keep in mind if its too long people won't read it. I see some editing points I would make, but I would be hesitant to add more than one other short paragraph. More citations isn't bad though, evidence always helps.
>>
>>29292152
Maybe add the race angle, like that SNS gun ban or law in 1968 was basically too keep blacks and poor people from being armed and defending themselves. And the Old Jim Crow no blacks or ex slaves guns thing.
>>
>>29290554
The oft-cited gun death number also includes defensive gun use and even freaking police shootings. It's the most purposely disingenuous stat to get paraded around since, well, the last disingenuous stat hurled at us by the antigun lobby.
>>
Petition for full auto

My son jeremy was shot. If he had a full auto ar 15 with drum mags he could have been saved.
>>
>>29290177
I was joking about anyone ever thinking Vox would be reliable to do anything but report the weather.
>>
>>29289338
and 87 or 88 of them are hoodrat niggers so what's the problem?
>>
>102 replies angrily criticizing a 12 year old's online petition

END

YOUR

LIVES

IMMEDIATELY
>>
>>29293624
>12 year old's
>>
>>29292242
I almost feel it would be nice to have a reference to a website detailing all that stuff too.

Kek Not gonna lie when I saw "add the race angle" I was thinking 'fuck this went /pol/ fast'
>>
>>29293673
>click doubt
>YOUR VIEWS ARE RETARDED AND I'M GOING TO PUT YOU IN PRISON I SWEAR TOO FUCK REEEEE
>actual quote from the game

was this game literally made by /k/?
>>
>>29293696
I wasn't meaning that in a bad way, hell, look up Saturday night special on Wikipedia, they talk about that on that 1968 law and black activist saying that basically. And also look up or mention the Reagan gun law in California was too counter act the Black Panthers carrying (generally) unloaded guns during their protests.
>>
File: 1454569489914.png (343 KB, 640x624) Image search: [Google]
1454569489914.png
343 KB, 640x624
>>29289338
>>29289355

Should write a letter back to the kid telling him how he's just doing this because some liberal adult pressured him into this and he's getting older and needs to be able to make up his own mind about things rather than just blindly following someone like that.
Then include some statistics like pic related. Don't be vulgar or anything, just state facts.
>>
>>29293753
It's partly a "nigger" problem but really more of a inner city and poverty problem. And happens more in places with tougher gun laws(other then Detroit, not the best but good gun laws, that's why it has the highest defense killings in the nation, 2500% above the national average.)
>>
File: gcorr.jpg (185 KB, 637x1580) Image search: [Google]
gcorr.jpg
185 KB, 637x1580
>>29293813

just gonna leave some food for thought
>>
>>29293813

Building on this, don't California and New York (toughest gun laws in the country AFAIK, could be wrong) also have much higher crime rates than the national average?
>>
>>29291014
My favorite follow-up stat is south korea's suicide rate. It's 50% higher than ours, and they don't have guns.
>>
>>29293862
Yes. Not sure on Jeresy crime but heard it's also has some of the worst gun laws in the nation, also with California and NY DC and Chicago and San Francisco have Insanely tough gun laws and horrible crime and murder rate.
>>
>>29293894
Isn't the U.S. Not even in the top 20 of Suicide rates in the world as well? Like the U.S. Being 28 on most gun violence.
>>
>>29293837
Jesus Christ, Louisiana
>>
>>29291451
Japan is about the same as the US, Korea is 50% higher.
>>
>>29290222
>Like you could stop anything if they decided to confiscate all guns.
>trying to take a weapon away
>expecting the weapon not to be used against the jackbooted thug

When confiscation happens in this country expect to see a bunch of people who train roughly ten times as much as your average law enforcement officer to use that training. Most police and federal agent training doesn't cover being shot at from over 500m away, and if you've ever been to a range with a 500m lane (or 500yd) then you'll quickly understand the American people have a very skilled and dedicated sniper corps. NFA holders aren't the only ones with machine guns either, an untold number of machine guns, destructive devices, and other NFA weapons were never registered in 1968 because they suspected then it was a trap. Now? I hope there's a mandatory buyback program, I'll bet there will be plenty of people who whip up hundreds of 922r-compliant homemade "guns" (I doubt they'll check to see if they work) specifically to rip off the fucking feds.

Then the shooting will start. Pentagon predicts that up to 40% of the military would desert, so not only would it be armed gun owners but a little less than half of the military would be willing to throw down too.

What if some of them were USAF missileers? Or B-52 crew with friends willing to load a tactical nuke? Suddenly the prospect of a fucking civil war seems a hell of a lot more dicey doesn't it? All because some fuckers with "too many guns" decided to fight back.
>>
>>29294003
If you resist, if you kill anyone when they come for them, the liberals will cream themselves because you've created the perfect propaganda to justify their actions. "Hero cop slain by rabid, racist gun owner."
>>
>>29289822
L-loss?
>>
>>29294003

>Pentagon predicts that up to 40% of the military would desert

I'm not arguing with you that a buyback would cause a brutal civil war, but do you have a citation for this statement?
>>
>>29289338

>I am an 8th grade student at McDougle middle school, Chapel HIll North Carolina, and I am doing a project in my English class on how 8th graders can change the world for the better through social media. I've decided to start a petition to strengthen gun laws in North Carolina because I feel that everyone would be and feel much safer if there were stronger gun laws and fewer guns.

If an 8th grader wrote this the whole thing is suspect. He is not an expert on law, on making new legislation, on history, nothing. He is an 8th grader. This is an emotional appeal and it shows, because its illogical to listen to an 8th grader.

>Every day in America 89 people die from gun violence. That adds up to over 32,000 deaths from gunshot wounds every year. These numbers show that too many people are dying for senseless reasons.

How many of these deaths are suicides? Anti-gun statistics LOVE to lump suicides in with homicides.

How many of the 32,000 are from people committing homicide while in the course of commiting an act of organized crime (drug dealing etc.) or as an act of violence in relation to an organized war between two criminal entities (the Crips killing the Bloods in organized gang warfare). Statistics of gun violence of gangs shouldn't be counted as simple murders. When you lose a soldier he wasn't "murdered" he was KIA, there is a war waging in most cities of this country, regulating people pushing million of dollars worth of drugs won't stop them getting weapons to kill one another.

>However, data show that more often than not, guns end up hurting the victim rather than the attacker. Even if you do use your gun in self defense, it is unlikely you will successfully fend off the attacker. Furthermore, when your gun is not being used for self defense, it is still very dangerous. A child or even an adult could misfire it and put an innocent life to waste as a result of a senseless act that could have been prevented if that gun had not been there.

>>
>>29294241

When you say the gun ends up hurting the victim, do you mean suicide and accidental discharge? Because you probably mean that. The odds ARE higher that someone will commit suicide than be attacked and have to use their firearm. But that is coorelation, not causation. Someone wanting to kill themselves will do so with other means. We need to stop sneaking suicide into this conversation and pretending that the intruder breaks into your house, gets a hold of your gun, then kills you with it.

When you say that someone uses the firearm but doesn't fend off the attacker, why is that anti-gun? That person was clearly fucked no matter what, let's just make them MORE vulnerable?

Finally, a progun attitude along with training and wide firearm avaliablility will reduce the number of people not able to actually defend themselves. A trained and armed soldier would be REALLY hard to sexually assault, let me tell you.

Finally, TEACH YOUR SHITTY KIDS GUN SAFETY. It isnt my fault little billy shit nose shot himself, his parents should have taken him shooting, should have very early taught him the destructive potential of firearms and how to handle them safely.

>>
>>29291174
I remember my wife's nephew when he was in eight grade. "guns are bad, tax bullets at $10,000 per bullet" the usual shit. now that he's an adult he owns two pistols and a shot gun. funny how view points change when you get older.
>>
>>29294097
>>if you resist you play into the liberal's trap!!!
>>just keep your head down, don't upset the masters!
>not realizing the scale of resistance
>being this much of a coward

If one guy guns down some cops nobody gives a single fuck, it never makes the news. If a few hundred cops and federal agents get killed every week? Yeah, that'll make the news. Especially if they're left with a little sheet with the Bill of Rights printed on it, that will get people's attention really fucking quick. Combine that with the non-violent resistance that would surely pop up I think you'd have a good case to provoke the federal government into starting a war with the people it supposedly serves.

This is all total conjecture though, I have severe doubts that a gun confiscation program would ever happen. Gun ownership is at a steady rise: women are carrying, young people are learning the joys of the hobby and firearms sports, and the maker/hacker community is realizing that guns are just something else they can play with. All that propaganda your friends at r/gunsarecool want to push is being seen for what it really is: bullshit.

Every day more and more people are realizing that the gun culture is NOT full of racist, xenophobic lunatics and is actually a fun, welcoming community.

>>29294199
I tried to find the report but every google search comes up with bullshit related to Bowe Bergdahl or Syria. I read it sometime in 2013-2014 though.
>>
>>29293624
after you.
>>
>>29293673

>>29289338
>>I am an 8th grade student at McDougle middle school
>>
>>29294259

>On Christmas day, a 1-year-old was shot by stray bullets from a passing car when she was playing in front of her house. Also, last year on March 3, three Muslim UNC students were shot because of a conflict over a parking space.

>Just think about how horrible it would be if someone you loved was killed, just because of some guys having fun with a gun in their car or due to an argument over a parking space!

Sounds a lot like the 1 year old was a victim of a drive by shooting. Not someone "having fun with a gun in a car" whatever that means. Once again, we need to address this gang violence issue. Turns out that drive by shootings are ILLEGAL! How is it then that they continue to occur? WE MADE A LAW GUIZ, GOOD WORK!!

The killing in the parking lot is a sad example of what poor parenting can accomplish in raising psychopaths that murder over a parking space. However, this incident shouldn't pull at your heart strings SO MUCH that we forfeit our Constitutional rights.

Forcing people to register their firearms or ten round magazines won't stop gang members getting them, or stop people killing themselves. All gun legislation does is allow a lazy legislator to pat themselves on the back for accomplishing nothing and taking all the credit for ending all murder ever forever.

>>
>>29289338
your daily reminder that some of you fuckwhits on this board recommended voting for Obama "because he never passed a gun control bill like mittens". its also a daily reminder that those same people deserve to die.
>>
I'm part of the national guard and my units Commanding General told us that if unconstitutional orders are handed down from any level we are ordered to fight for the people and the Constitution. Guess my state is seceding.
>>
>>29290003
Whoops as a new zealander i appear to have forgotten to go to register my guns, give a reason for owning said guns but i guess a 30 question exam is a safety course
>>
>>29294305
Also the whole >drone thingy is funny people mention as a why bother having amendment/militia of it can just be drone strikes. The fucking nano second the U.S. Government drone strikes its own people, say a group of 1,000 protesting with arms about losing their second amendment/confiscation. The second they do that they would have all the Milarty turn against the government, anyone else not just nation wide but world wide turn against the government for doing that, within 24 hours heads would be on pikes ala the French Revolution.
>>
File: image_2.png (15 KB, 231x200) Image search: [Google]
image_2.png
15 KB, 231x200
>>29289338
I leave north Carolina for two years and this is what happens?
>>
>>29289894
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>29294343
>my son is an 8th grader at Mcdougle middle school
>>
>>29289338
>>>/trash/
Please leave.
>>
>>29289949
M8, how do we stop the guns from tearing our families apart?! Soccer moms, unite!
>>
>>29293716
That only fucking happened when you clicked the wrong option
>>
>>29294343
Yeah? And I doubt an 8th grader wrote it.
>>
>>29294727
>And I doubt

You just spent six hours whining about this totally trivial piece of nothing.

Let it go already.
>>
>>29290003
>the vast majority of people who survive suicide attempts don't end up dying from suicide

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>29290003
>Hoplophobes BTFO
>Antis on suicide watch
>can't chowder the crowder
>>
>>29290108
uwut? No law? you mean the laws concerning FFLs and even private sales have been removed?

Hell if you sell to a felon even unknowingly as a private seller you can get a full-court press from the court.

I don't think you realize this but laws and their punishment are reactionary in nature unless you're in favor of prosecuting thought crimes.
>>
>>29290108
> take dremel
> remove serial numbers
I guess your registry is useless now. Straw purchasers 1 : gun control faggots 0
> implying I don't know you're fishing for (You)'s.
>>
>>29290267
Lets go on the loose estimation of numbers we know the mil, including all nat gaurd and civs is somewhere at 2-2.5M, this also assumes they don't turncoat.

Cops are usually undermanned to begin with per area, I think raw estimate of all LEOs works out to 1M, so roughly 3-4 million vs a conservitive 50 million, which is very lowball as there are over 320 million residents in the US

Even assuming they could confiscate 10 per officer before word spreads, you have 10 million, all this assumes the criminal elements of society don't take advantage of LEOs tied up in muh gun grabs.

But please, continue on how 'nothing can be done' just go lay down and die, maggot.
>>
>>29290554
That salad is like 2 bigmacs worth of calories, isn't it?
>>
>>29295436
Wrong tab, snacky
>>
>>29293935

Its all in New Orleans too, where guns are virtually banned.
>>
>>29295509
Bullshit, as a destructive device I'm pretty confident the Big Mac has lead to more death than private ownership, as an environmental concern it certainly has destroyed swaths of viable hunting land.

It is a mighty weapon.
>>
>>29294619
nigger are you serious
>>
>>29294465
>The fucking nano second the U.S. Government drone strikes its own people, say a group of 1,000 protesting with arms about losing their second amendment/confiscation.

If there are further drone strikes, it won't be on a publicized group event, it'll be single target affairs against people generally considered bad guys like Anwar Awlaki. Boiled frog, sir. They aren't going to do anything suddenly.
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 640x1136
>>29289338
I got this shit too, made me upset
>guns hurt the victim instead of the attacker
>"guns wont help you d00d"
REEEEEEEEEEE CIVIL WAR 2 WHEN
>>
>>29295570
The fuck are you talking about. Nola resident, there are absolutely no gun restrictions that I have ever heard of.
Guns are common as shit.
>>
>>29293935
It's all the niggers.
>>
>>29295865
>"it is unlikely you will fend off your attacker"
u fockin wot m8 where did this little spawn of a bernie supporter cunt get his information
>>
>>29291069
The 30 day thing is how long the atf keeps the digital copy on their end. The paper 4473 is kept at the gun shop for 25 years, unless the shop shuts down. If it shuts down the paper 4473's are turned over to the atf. On a side not if the atf does a skip-trace on a firearm & it was sold over like 5 years ago or if the firearm has already been resold by the original owner, they just give up on the trace.
>>
>>29295889
Correction. The only thing is that you can't CC in bars, but oh well. You can also drink in bars under 21 with a guardian or at any private property at any age without any guardian.
>>
>Some people, like the George Washington, say Americans need guns to protect themselves. However, he said that a long time ago, so fuck him.
>>
>>29295749
Please.
>>
>>29293732
Oh I know you didn't, I'm just used to expecting the worst from 4chan lol.

>pretty sure I owe my chem instructor my lunch money after that exam

Well this thread went into civil war territory.

>>29293813
Psychfag here, you are partly right but there's a layer missing from most similar discussions: non-cognitive emotional skills.

Your non-cognitive emotional skills (sense of empathy, social trust, ability to form basic bonds, understanding of basic social mores and norms) are INCREDIBLY strongly correlated to your likelihood of going to jail- more than your IQ or anything else.

Coincidentally your emotional skill set is developed in several ways, you could probably divide them into the following basic two:
>Community involvement and interactions with others (sports, school activities, volunteering, church services, even book clubs)
>Home life (good parents, stability at home, lots of parent-child contact and interaction, positive sibling relations non-abusive or drug-filled situations).

Coincidentally, the poor have the weakest families, offer the worst environments for a kid, etc.

But dumping money into the situation hasn't worked either, suggesting that it isn't just financial but also a culture problem. Poor people have kids who suffer the same cycles of bullshit living situations who then grow up, many of them being "broken" by the time they are 18, and then the cycle just continues.

All those bad stats you hear about America? America being X fat, divorce being X high?

Almost ALL of that is just poor people who inflate the average super high.

America doesn't necessarily have a poverty problem so much as a culture problem that creates a near-permanent psychologically damaged under class.

>>29295436
If you drench anything in dressing you will see the caloric intake skyrocket. The advertised calories are basic just lettuce and veggies, not the cheese and dressing people add.

>>29295842
See kent state, that was a fucking nightmare for the US.
>>
>>29296083
no one knows.
looks like natalia or aubrey plaza but it's not
>>
>>29295013
>Hoplophobes BTFO

I don't recall him saying anything about catfish.
>>
>>29296136
Great points, also forgot the culture part,
Kinda vaguely meant to imply that with poverty, also bet a good bit of it is coming from single mother homes/shit homes in general.
>>
>>29293837
>Gun ownership higher in Dakota than Montana
Who made that image doesn't know the actually numbers fucking dumb shit.
>>
>>29293935
I'm from north Louisiana I've seen a total of about 10 blacks. I don't understand this.
>>
We really need too do a counter change.org thing on this. Any updates from writefag?
>>
>>29296728
Yup broken homes, broken life.

When most people say "it's poverty" those things tend to be implied, but that implication also implies that "mo money for dem programs" is the best solution.

While some type of cultural solution would certainly involve money, things like Jump Start and No Child Left Behind have been basically failures. If you ever wonder why America performs badly in education, that's why despite the fact we spend more than anyone else. Our middle class schools are overall fine how they. Our upper class schools are the best in the world (MIT, Harvard, Stanford, etc). But the bottom is soooo thoroughly broken that you can't send those kids to a decent school for 8 hours a day, five days a week, 30 weeks a year, then expect them to turn out ok when the first five years of life and the remaining time at home and over summer is spent with an alcoholic or absent dad, drug addiction, and a pop culture that encourages casual drug use, violence, and risk taking behavior and tolerates abandoned responsibilities.

America doesn't have a gun problem, we've had this shit around for many years and mass shootings weren't a major problem. What has changed isn't the caliber, action, or mag size, it's the people themselves.
>>
>>29297572
I can give it a shot again later, but it's 2:30 here and I've been dicking around with Empire at War after burning my brain out on an exam.

I will have a draft up in the morning I guess, no class so why not try to help our cause?

If anyone wants to donate REPUTABLE (read: government, not Fudd lore) sources I can ensure they are formatted properly (APA, if that matters)
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>29298318
Thanks senpai.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
>>29289384
Fellow Texfag here. Go back to English class you illiterate fuck.

>Alex fucking Jones
>typical Texan
No, fuck off.

Are you a fucking Californian transplant to Austin or something? You guys have shit my city up enough already.
>>
>>29289378

Literally more people die from slip and falls in this country than gun deaths. Where is the public outcry for a banning of stairs, steps and showers?

If we banned bipedal movement it would lower the deaths by slip and fall to near zero. Sure some may still die in a fall while transitioning from their bed to their mobility scooter but that can be prevented by government mandated automated bed hoists. I have personally knows several people who died from slip and falls. I do not personally know a single person who has been killed by a gun.

Also death by choking is a somewhat major issue as compared to guns. My good friend died in this way. Why do we allow the sale of solid foods? It's careless and reckless. These evil food corporations care only of profit by selling tasty but highly dangerous food stuffs. They care not about the countless families effected by food consumption related deaths. That speaks nothing of obesity and heart disease. Why doesn't the government mandate we eat only a certain strict diet of liquid organic vegan foods. The caloric value and nutrient profile of which they can also mandate. This would prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths and save trillions in health care costs.

Hell of all those things only gun ownership is enshrined in the constitution.
>>
>>29298291
>Implying schools in poor districts are even approaching "decent"
Schools are funded by local taxes, mainly, with some Federal assistance. So poorer areas result in severe underfunding. Then you tack on the double fuck you of No Child Left Behind that uses punitive defunding to further fuck them into a death spiral.
>>
>>29289432
Yeah, you are a fag
>>
File: 1451702250579.png (3 MB, 1620x1916) Image search: [Google]
1451702250579.png
3 MB, 1620x1916
>>29296136
>Your non-cognitive emotional skills (sense of empathy, social trust, ability to form basic bonds, understanding of basic social mores and norms) are INCREDIBLY strongly correlated to your likelihood of going to jail- more than your IQ or anything else.
Work with Jim Heckman, can sorta confirm.

>America doesn't necessarily have a poverty problem so much as a culture problem
Eh. It's complicated, lots of people disagree with me (although partly that's because agreeing with me under your own name in academia will get you tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail), but I tend to think that it's mostly genetic. (And environmental in the sense of lead exposure, omega-3 fatty acids, fluoride--yep, precious bodily fluids fluoride, that kind of thing.). Yeah, yeah, Perry Preschool study and the Abecedarians, but those are just two programs, and the funnel plot of preschool studies clusters around an effect size of zero. The question, always, is "where does culture come from?" It's not like nobody in Sweden or wherever thought of being fat and criminal and living off welfare--so why didn't it take, in Sweden, but it did take in Jackson, MS? If you're interested in looking into the biodeterminist case from a non-/pol-tier/stormfag standpoint, I recommend JayMan and Razib Khan.
>>
File: minnesota.png (877 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
minnesota.png
877 KB, 800x600
>>29298291
>things like Jump Start and No Child Left Behind have been basically failures.
Can 100% confirm. I spent about three months reviewing literature on college prep programs for poor kids, literally dem programs fo which dey need mo money, and it's astonishing how reliably effect sizes drop to zero as sample sizes get bigger and follow-up surveys are taken longer after the program itself.
>>
>>29293624
No, don't say that because they will shoot themselves and the libtards will use the mass suicide to shit on guns even more.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 498x412
>>29299742
>>
>>29289338
>8th grade
>engrish class
>change the world
>online petiton
Who the fuck listens to people whining behing a computer, if that lil bitch want to do change, better do it IRL.
ETI Topkek.
>>
>>29299819
Swede here and I don't know much about the poverty situation here but most of our violence comes from that they're not seeing progress. It's clear from anonymous interviews of people living in the poorer neighborhood here. It's not that they're super poor it's just that they're grouped there in normal apartment, sometimes living 3 people too many for the apartment size according to national recommendations. Resent study shows that their monthly income is 1/4th of the richest part of town (where I live). But there's factors that make that rather inaccurate. I don't think it's right to view things like Welfare as non-helpful. It's extremely helpful in stalling the violence. But they're getting tired and it's understandable. Nobody wants to hire them not because of lacking skills but mainly because they're deemed unreliable. The problem at large is mostly integrating with society well, things like learning the language being key. But for the group of people who stay where they are it's different. They stay for different reasons. And their attacks aren't for gain here really. Most breakins are from groups that operate in wider regions. It's not crime out of desperation from the poorer region of town. The only for gain crime I hear of is drug selling but it's mostly contained to that part of town as I understand it. I'm really getting off topic.

My point is that it's not really poverty that's the issue it's the lack of progress. If your Welfare system doesn't assist people in getting better (with help from the system, things like Welfare conditional on job applications) then that's when people start to feel shit. And they do things out of frustration.
They are shitty at conveying political messages though. They've lit some 'environmental houses' (wood, solar panels and shit) on fire. Closest to a political action they've done because it might be interpreted as claiming there's priority issues.
They also don't take their NEET time and get educated. Weird.
>>
File: FUG.png (47 KB, 558x222) Image search: [Google]
FUG.png
47 KB, 558x222
Here's how you win this, /k/
>making Change.org petition
>state that it is misogynistic and racist to withhold the rights to own a firearm to the population
>bring up how many women defend themselves with firearms from assaults
>bring up the dangerous situations in low-income areas
>stories of protecting homes, kids, etc.
It will win
>>
>>29298797
Another Texan. Agreed, the whole Austin-Dallas-San Antonio triangle can just get a dome dropped over it and sealed forever for all the fucks I give. Houston has more music, art, culture, food and money than all the other "Big Cities" in the Empire put together.
>>
>>29299704
>Schools are funded by local taxes, mainly, with some Federal assistance. So poorer areas result in severe underfunding.
I remember the first time I heard about an American (I'm Canadian), getting charged for 'stealing' tax dollars by sending their kid to a school in a neighboring county. Made me fucking sick that such a thing was even a law, let alone what could happen to a parent who was just trying to give their child the better education. Better schools were one of the reasons my mom let my grandmother take me out to the suburbs with her, when I was little. And while the places I went weren't perfect, I can't fault them for anything except the high school's building being really old (and they built a new one 5 years after I graduated from there, that's damn nice so I hear). I had some great teachers, and one of them is the reason that I love learning about history, to this day.
>>
>>29290576
A registry has pros and cons.
>>
>>29300404
In America there's a whole catalog of options you have with school:

>Charter schools and other private schools
>Montesorri schools (year round pretty much, generally private)
>public schools
>home schooling

In the public school system you generally have to go to the school in your district, and your school district takes money from everyone living in said district in the form of taxes and levies. As such it IS considered tax theft if you go to a neighboring school district, since your taxes don't go to that other school district. That's the idea at any rate.

One idea to fix this has been the use of vouchers, essentially coupons to send kids to private schools. Another is open enrollment, which was what my highschool was like. However my highschool district was drawn extremely weird since it was just three separate schools merged together in the 1950's, there were numerous schools closer to me than the one I went to so I imagine that has something to do with it.
>>
>>29300234
Well the counterpoint is that for most poor people, life has NEVER been better. I don't know Sweden's situation myself, but in America people aren't exactly starving to death. Poor people a century ago would never have been able to eat like they do today, afford the entertainment they do today, and have half the amenities they do today.

The real question for those on top has been "at what level of comfort can we keep people complacent", and for many people it seems we are getting near.

They can't be hired, as you noted. However this likely won't change. Automation threatens a ton of jobs, and training poor people would cost a lot compared to just buying something that can replace them.

Just look at self-checkout bagging. You need all of one person to monitor 6 self-checkout registers, and all they do is check IDs for alcohol/age restricted purchases and make sure no one steals them.

Sales are mostly done online, sales in person replaced by self-checkout, automated phones do the rest, etc. It's unfortunate but the market for skilled labor is going to get a LOT smaller over the next decade, and at least in America the middle class has a distinct advantage over the lowest among us.

I admit I could be wrong, but I've seen little to indicate that I am :(
>>
>>29300440
I don't know the full specifics of it, since I don't have kids myself, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing stopping me from going to schools in neighboring counties, except for the fact that it'd be an abysmally long commute (1-2 hours each way). And Halifax (yes, I'm AngryHalifaxGuy), is a big enough cities to have a lot of schools in its county for you to choose from.

We have private schools, and home schooling is an option (though not a highly regarded one by most people). I think we even have a few private boarding schools around the country somewhere.
>>
>>29300541
>yes, I'm AngryHalifaxGuy
Is that some new worthless tripcunt or what?
>>
>>29298541
Writefag here, pouring over the FBI's datasheets for 2014, for some reason they chose to breakup weapons by state (fine) but didn't do an "overall" one, so now I'm messing with Excel to get the data needed
>>
>>29300631
As a side bullshit note, the FBI's data contradicts itself on number of murders, by about 3,000. No explanation other than probably bad reporting and stat work.
>>
>>29300538
Yeah poor people here aren't starving either. I estimate that if I lost everything I own but the clothes I wear, my ID and such I'd be able to afford a PS4 comfortably in about 2 months if there's an apartment available. Just based on welfare. So that's where I'm coming from. It's pretty obvious to me that unless you're housing illegal immigrants you'd have no problem living pretty ok (except you will probably never be able to justify buying a gun to the state, so clearly it's worse than auschwitz).
>life has never been better
As in they don't have an estimate of what better life would be or that they've never had much to work with in the past matters somehow. I don't see either leading to violence in some way. Perhaps if they have poor appreciation of how easy (imo) it is to earn pretty ok they don't really get it. Lack of contact with people who have had money might be a determining factor of that. I used to think I wasn't good enough to do things after highschool but it became rather obvious later that I could easily have contributed in tons of IT companies. That kind of information may be vital to encouraging education.

>automation
I'm a pretty firm believer that efforts just shift. There's always going to be demand for people with high education but as manufacturing effectiveness improves there will likely be more manufacture demand. Maintaining robots is also a big deal.

Though ultimately I guess we simply don't have the resources to be that effective. I don't know what would entertain people then. But something special has to happen. It's rather irrelevant right now. Services like maintaining houses is unlikely to go away any time soon. Robots will be more expensive than people usually. For a while anyway.
>>
>>29289821
Which county are you in? In Wake I got my PPP the next day
>>
>>29300710
I agree on the "for a while" portion.

I can't speculate how it is over there, but I know in America you have tons of people with bachelors degrees in business management and instead of being the head of a local bank or being in the upper echelons of a business (or owning their own) they wind up working as a manager at a local shoe store or something- when everyone has a bachelors degree it's like no one has one. Conversely in America it is REALLY hard to get hired if you don't have more than a high school degree. There's still some jobs, but those involve going to technical schools to get a license for CNC operation, etc. and as we all know school costs money.

I agree that encouraging education is really important, and that comes down to the non-cognitive skills mentioned earlier in the thread. Inquisitiveness that is rewarded with discovery is a huge factor that determines whether people get interested in sciences, and I truly think that a lot of poor people just don't get those opportunities.

Growing up I always loved science, because I grew up in the middle of nowhere with no light pollution and loved going out with a telescope and seeing the stars and planets like in the scifi shows I watched. I got to go to museums and see the big dinosaurs, see how things worked at exhibits, etc.

I think those types of positive non-school educational experiences to inspire the next generation is what we should be spending some money on, early on, rather than our current "eh fix it later" attitude.
>>
>>29289925
This; I had an idea once to create a petition to repeal the PPP on the basis of it being Jim Crow
>>
>>29300861
Yeah definitively. I'm surprised private corporations don't fund that like they do here. My moms (when she used to work there) company had her show girls what she does (because EE isn't a field many girls go into so they considered it the best bang for their buck). And they've kept going with that for a long time so I suppose they're estimating it's worth it. Was rather negative to the whole thing because she's the kind that thinks that both girls and boys should have that opportunity (what a SJW am I right?). Stuff like astronomy is really cool stuff but despite my dad having access to an actual telescope with the roofs that retract and stuff (school he worked on later demolished it because we have affirmative action that lets retards into politics apparently). But I usually tagged along (ages 5-14 anyway) and they really got engaged in that stuff. I think it may have had positive effect. But it was as late as highschool.

I think (here at least) there should be more free time activities for kids that's focused on learning. When I was a kid all we did was play soccer mostly. I was part of a boy scouts equivalent but that group wasn't particularly big and like half the people there were from my class (meaning none of the poor kids really). That kind of shit has to reach them. I don't know how but the reason I picked programming as an idea early on is because it's so extremely accessible. Here anyway. If I was a homeless, orphan and illegal I could get a library card and sit in the library and do programming from 8am to 15pm every day. If I knew the possibility existed. Really computer access is a given now. And being self-taught is accepted in this field. We shouldn't be having any issues.

I've just started to pointlessly rant now. Perhaps time I stop posting lol.
>>
>>29301011
Hey post away, it beats the shitposting that dominates 4chan.

Here they frequently bring people in as part of "career day" or something, where someone comes and talks to elementary school kids or you bring your dad or mom to school and they say what they do. One time a pair of zoo keepers brought in these 8 foot pythons to show kids that snakes weren't scary, and when I was in kindergarten I thought that was the coolest thing on the planet, and we often went on field trips to caves, Air Force museum (they really are good at encouraging engineers and stuff, when I was really little in our pre- 9/11 world they let kids go up to live F-16s and stuff) nature preserves, etc.

The problem is a good chunk of the cost falls on the parents of the kids (like $5 to go to a park or something isn't much, but some got up to $10 or $15), which obviously is beyond the means of some parents.

And then when school cuts come in, or the budget isn't raised, field trips are usually the first thing to go. So a lot of poorer kids don't get that opportunity at all.
>>
>>29292594
Don't forget the almost 20,000 suicides a year.
>>
>>29301286
I think it's closer too 22-23 thousand. And I never see a listing of how many of those are SD killings.
>>
>>29301286
It's not intentionally disingenuous. The CDC records them as "Firearms Deaths" then further divides them into:
>Homicide
>Suicide

I think Suicide includes accidental death though, which at about 500-1000 is pretty insignificant overall.

homicide is about 1/3 of all "firearm deaths" and includes justified homicide (aka self defense), intentional homicide (aka "you're fucking my wife BLAM BLAM BLAM) and likely even accidental homicide (aka the kid finds the gun in the nightstand and shoots his friend by accident).

Unfortunately the CDC already splits it from suicide and homicide, so the writefag petition to get them to change that definition would be useless. A new direction would be needed for a petition, perhaps redefining accidents and separating police shootings and justifiable homicides.
>>
>>29300629
Fuck no, I never tripfag.

But posting style and subject matter can be just as identifying for a poster. Especially when they often freely admit the city/province/country they live in.

I saw a few people referring to me as it before (not always when posting 'to' me, either), so decided to take it as an identifier. I don't even namefag since I always forget to turn that off.

>tl;dr - No.
>>
>>29290006
Fucking this
That place is the zit on the ass of NC, liberal heaven
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.