[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: bow.png (86 KB, 900x666) Image search: [Google]
bow.png
86 KB, 900x666
So /k/, I have always wanted to own a Bow and as such I decided that the time has come to make that dream come true. How should I go about picking my first bow? What should I look out for? I am looking for it on aliexpress since it is the cheapest and easiest place for me. Trying to stay in the 70-100US$ price range, not counting the 20-30 for the arrows themselves.
>>
>>29282973
Aliexpress? Go to an archery shop.
>>
>>29283173
Don't really have a lot of options where I live, but I can try to look for one.

The core of the problem remains: How should I go about choosing a bow?
>>
>>29282973
Samick sage is a pretty darn good bow. You can make your own arrows pretty easily, just get some 3/8ths oak dowel rod and some survival tape, quite a few good instructional videos on youtube.
>>
>>29282973
samick sage, faggot.
>>
>>29283343
>You can make your own arrows pretty easily
and I wouldn't do this. you can do it, I've done it, but if you're new to basically anything, you want as little working against you as possible. Buy some arrows with spine deflection that corresponds to the weight of the bow you get and your draw length.
>>
>>29282973
SAMICK BLOODY SAGE YOU DICK HEAD
>>
>>29282973
Buck Trail Blackhawk
>>
>>29283479
>>29283655
>>29283343

Thats it? Just look for that one bow? I tought there would be more, like:
>How tall are you?
>How long is your arm?
>How strong are you?

Oh well. Sounds simple enough then.
>>
>>29283557
Not right off the bat of course, but down the road when you're tired of shelling out cash for arrows. If the OP isn't retarded and gets a sensible draw weight the homemade arrows are just fine.
>>
>>29282973
Having just gone through this process myself there are a few things to consider first...
How tall are you? Draw length? How strong/fit are you?
I'm 6'4 and draw about 31.5" - most recurve bows are set up at 28" draw for draw weight, so my 70" 38# bow draws around 44-45# at 31.5"
Don't buy your first bow online dude - go to a couple of archery shops and ask a bunch of questions, get measured up etc - If you want to get into it cheaply, maybe a simple fibreglass bow would do? - somewhere around 25-30#?

Have some fun with it, learn to shoot - hook in with an archery club.

And good luck - I'm having heaps of fun with it - My bow, chinese takedown recurve cost me $180, 6 arrows $80 and a few other bits and pieces rounded out to around $300 - bear in mind I'm in Australia, so prices are in AUD - USD conversion would be somewhere around $220 - though you're likely to go heaps cheaper in the US, assuming that's where you're from.
>>
>>29286880
*cont
Brand is Jandao - they make bows for PSE, same bow simply rebadged.

Review here...
http://www.archerytoronto.ca/equipment-reviews/Three-Piece-Recurve-Takedown-Bows.html
>>
>>29286966
Ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151899686262?var=451087874161
>>
File: JA-SZXL-.jpg (551 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
JA-SZXL-.jpg
551 KB, 1600x1600
>>29286975
*cont - pic of Jandao Takedown Recurve
>>
>>29282973
Make one out of pvc and 550 cord. So easy a chimp could do it and by far your cheapest option. It makes a surprisingly decent bow.
>>
>>29282973
I buy a lot on aliexpress, but fuck if I'd buy something that can snap on my face or impale my hand.
>>
>>29282973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Stop what you're doing and watch this video, before you make any of the wrong decisions or buy into the hype that is modern archery. Lars Andersen has studied the actual historical texts that warrior archers learned from, and compiled a style created from accurate, practicality driven teachings. Modern archers will want to load you up with all kinds of compounds bows, sights, quivers, carbon fiber arrows, etc. These are all generic consumer products that will not actually help you grow as an archer, rather hinder you by building bad habits and reliance on them.

Seriously, don't fall into the modern myths of archery, the study is changing and Lars is leading the way, following him is following thousands of years of far more effective archers than we can hope to become today.
>>
Hoyt makes pretty good stuff. Don't get a compound, what are you really learning when your bow has sights and cams? Make sure to ask the archery shop how to take care of your bows, beeswax goes a long way. Make sure the arrows you get aren't too light or your sinew will go right through it. Get a patch, or if you're feeling manly go bare fingers, any spare leather is fine for a patch. Don't get broadheads unless you want to hunt. Most ranges don't allow broadheads. Other than that man its all about what you wanna do with it, you can get different fletching, some are bigger for shooting birds so in case you miss the arrow doesn't fly to the next continent.
>>
>>29282973
Go to an archery shop and pick up a used High Country with the first gen Matthews Solo cams. You can usually find them for around $100.

Compound bows are easy to be decent with, but difficult to master. This makes them a solid starting point. Once you've got your form down, move into recurve. It's much more instinctive when it comes to shooting, the experience with a compound will give you a solid foundation to work with.
>>
>>29287515
Not op but how do i get information about this kind of archery? This is exactly what I was looking for, for a long time

Would a samick sage be good for this? How can I learn more?
>>
I have a sage with the 30# limbs, I don't shoot it as often as I would like but it's loads of fun and has been good for reacquainting myself with archery basics. It's a beautiful bow, too. Even if you want to hunt eventually you should start at a low draw weight to build up muscle, you may think you're in good shape but you can fuck your shoulder easily by jumping to a high draw bow. Start easy and get a higher draw pair of limbs down the road.
>>
File: 1455484246988.jpg (201 KB, 1024x770) Image search: [Google]
1455484246988.jpg
201 KB, 1024x770
>>29287515
>>29291964
Shilling this fucking hard for "forgotten seeecretzz of archery
>>
>>29287515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4

He's a trick archer, does nothing special, and is the usual "hey look at how amazing my supar speshul teknik iz!"
>>
>>29295653
Every target he aimed at would die.

I don't understand why "tricks" are so terrible, you can nevee be too familiar with your weapon.
>>
File: 3104599-800px-bow_draw_en_svg.png (178 KB, 800x366) Image search: [Google]
3104599-800px-bow_draw_en_svg.png
178 KB, 800x366
>>29296424
>Every target he aimed at would die.
Lol. Time to be blunt here, without his low-poundage bows and short range shooting he wouldn't be hitting jack shit using a right-side nock with a Mediterranean draw. It's OK with a pinch draw like the Japanese use or a thumb hook release like mongolian technique that correctly release the string with a neutral or nock-side string roll, but it fucks up an arrow's flight to nock opposite the roll direction. I highly doubt any of his targets are genuinely representative of realistic target effects, especially that "maille" he shoots at from off camera.

>I don't understand why "tricks" are so terrible, you can nevee be too familiar with your weapon.
Trick shooting has merit, yes, but not as a practical shooting technique. It's for doing cool things to impress people with. His video literally mixes "I know better than everyone else" with obvious careful framing and editing and infomercial bad versions of things known to work.
>>
>>29296682
Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCN7HId-b8
>>
>>29287515
Lol fuck off Larz
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.