[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok so to keep this as troll free as possible here are the "givens"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 38_Sp_BUG_load_sample.jpg (93 KB, 792x401) Image search: [Google]
38_Sp_BUG_load_sample.jpg
93 KB, 792x401
Ok so to keep this as troll free as possible here are the "givens"

We are talking about 9mm from a 4.5" barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 16.

Now, lets say you have a 300 dollar gift card to Cabelas. What do you buy? 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot. 124gr +p Federal HST, 147gr Speer Gold Dot, or 147gr Federal HST

Explain your decision. There seems to be far too much "this and that, but look here, and then there" info on the internet. It seems the only common consensus is 115gr 9mm is range ammo tier
>>
Does it penetrate 12" out of your gun?

The answer to your question is yes in all 4 cases.

Biggest factor after that is you putting them where they need to be as quick as you can.

To that end, you should buy the one that's on sale or cheap because that means you practice with your carry load.

I would dodge the +p stuff simply because it's really not a benefit.
>>
Ammoquest does great write ups on those questions
>>
>>29282078

yes they do, but even they stop short of a conclusion.

>>29282055

12" means nothing other than it penetrated and didnt exit the block. What did it expand to? How consistent was that expansion and penetration? etc

124gr does not seem to expand consistently outside +p, that extra 50-100fps seem to matter. 115gr doesnt seem to expand even in +p+. 147gr expands at lower velocity and penetrates deeper in bare gel, but struggles in hard barrier tests

Fuck :(
>>
>>29282127

Stop.

Expansion is completely secondary to you putting it where it needs to be. 0.2" is not going to turn a bad miss into a good hit.

It hits the 12" mark, it has enough to damage the C/V and CNS. It's on you to put it where it needs to be and understand that all handguns suck at killing people. This is why you engage multiple times. People with hundreds of thousands of rounds through handguns and who kill for a living do it with FMJ, practice, and the understanding that after you have 12" in FBI gel it's quality of hits > quantity of hits >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else

tl;dr shoot moar
>>
>>29282181
Holy shit. Yes.
/thread
>>
>>29282181

That is your fallacy and the problem with this whole subject. I never once said anything about shot placement. This has nothing to do with shot placement. This is about ammo. One bullet CAN and most times IS objectively better than another. You can die from a BB gun, that has about as much to do with the topic as your shot placement argument.

Cheap range ammo not only doesnt expand consistently, but it also doesnt have consistent velocities. Can an Winchester White Box kill someone? Of course it can, dont be dense. Will a Winchester White Box expand, travel, and cycle a firearm as consistently as something like a Federal Hydro Shock? no it wont, not even close, dont even pretend it will
>>
>>29282358

But you've completely neglected the original point of my post.

Does the ammo satisfy the basic tenants of a carry ammo? If yes, go to the cheapest option.

More shooting with an ammo that has everything it needs (like all 4 of your choices) beats pandering to your ego by being able to smash dicks with your buddies about using DA BESTIST ammo.

Pick the cheapest of the four you listed, and buy that one. Stop worrying about terminal performance and worry about your own.
>>
>>29282385

You cant seem to make it past that point, and it has nothing to do with the topic. I asked for the best ammo in 9mm, out of a 4.5" barrel in 2 specific grain weights and powder charges

Either leave an answer or dont. Your posts serve as nothing other than bumps, and are a reflection of the pseudo intellectual quips we see in politics today. You HAVE contributed nothing, and apparently WILL contribute nothing to this topic. I want to see hard scientific data on grain vs velocity vs penetration vs expansion. That is the dam topic not "spend more time at the range"

Has /k/ really devolved this much in my absence?
>>
>>29282181

Wisdom.
>>
>>29282510

His point is that the "Best" ammo doesnt fucking matter. Once you're past the "does it adequetely penetrate" question (read all modern 9mm defensive loads) you're just splitting hairs and any "performance increases" ultimately dont really matter because they're so goddamn miniscule.
>>
>>29282510

But no one fucking cares, that's the point. People ITT have a realistic understanding and expectations of carry ammo. That's why there is agreement about what you should be buying by multiple people, and you prattling like an autistic kid.

You want that kind of data, find or generate it yourself. No spoonfeeding. Fuck back off if you don't like it.
>>
>>29282554

Except that I own a 3k handgun, I have spent 20k on lessons, range time, and ammo at this point. Your point is noted, and entirely moot.

Of course it is up to me. I have bought the best handgun I can spend money on. i have paid for the best instruction I can find in my area. Am i really going to complain about 5 cents a round here and there?

I didnt ask about the surrounding effects. I asked about ammunition. It is a very straight forward question and answer. In fact, it could not have been more specific and defined.
>>
>>29282594

>Except that I own a 3k handgun, I have spent 20k on lessons

No one cares. See >>29282576 and gather the information yourself we're not here to do your googling for you.
>>
>>29282024
The Win 148 gr LWC, seems like it would be the only thing effective against Jay Leno if he broke into my house.
>>
>>29282594

>I own a 3k handgun, I have spent 20k on lessons, range time, and ammo at this point

Whoop de fucking doo.

All that time and money and you havnt figured out that placement+number of rounds is what makes handguns lethal and not some fancy bullshit gimmick or SUPER ADVANCED BOOLET DESIGN.

Let me try to be clear about this with a handy chart of "shit that matters in a handgun round" listed in order of importance.

>Does it feed well into your handgun? (If Yes, proceed)
>Does it consistently penetrate at least 12" of ballistic gel? (If Yes, proceed)
>Does it penetrate TOO far? (over 20 inches) (If No, proceed)
v
^
>some other bullshit about the difference between 20 grains of weight and 50 fps

There you go.
>>
>>29282610
>>29282754

Congratulations on being some of the most dense fuckers on the planet, and for telling me /k/ is dead. Christ, am i really going to reset my ARF password, or has that gotten even worse than back in the day as well?

>>29282680

Not evenly remotely good trolling. You really should have sold me on the benefits of 115gr +p+ Black Hills Special Edition
>>
>>29282024

I'd go with the 124gr +P HST. 147 gr stuff is often going too slow, and I just like HST better than Gold Dot.
>>
>>29282024
147gr Gold Dots, but I have a suppressor so subsonic is important to me.

124gr Gold Dot +P otherwise.
>>
>>29282024
I thought the thumbnail was pokemon badges.
I thought for a second that Pokemon was /k/ approved.
>>
File: 1436159784046.jpg (128 KB, 1023x590) Image search: [Google]
1436159784046.jpg
128 KB, 1023x590
>>
>>29282024

Assuming they all pass the FBI gel requirements, I'd avoid the +p due to more recoil. I'd choose the least expensive of the remaining, just so I'd have more carry ammo to train with.

Placement is king, penetration is queen, and everything else is angels dancing on pins.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.