[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ww2 >liberty boats splitting in half before they even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 276x183
>ww2
>liberty boats splitting in half before they even left the harbour

Ibe heard of bad mamajamas, but murrica you took the cake with this shit. How did you not know impure steel would lose its ductility?
>>
enough of them made it to win the war
>>
>>29281038
A fairly rare occurrence.

Better than a country that made tanks with gaps in their armor.
>>
>>29281095
More like shortened it.
>>
>>29281171
Nah, Russia and England would have made peace with the Krauts before they won without our supplies.
>>
>>29281038
it happens to all steel at lower temperatures. Just hadn't been an issue before due to there riveted construction which arrested the cracks. The square hatches also acted as stress concentrators and when combined with the prefabricated sections being forced together and welded the residual stresses, the low temperatures, the high seas, harsh course corrections it was a recipe for brittle fracture.
>>
if you think brittle fracture is a problem that's been solved in modern ships look up mv flare, kurdistan and carling lake. HMS endurance 1 had a brittle fracture too. It's a fairly uncommon but extremely high risk problem facing steel ships.

I recently part wrote the new RN NAN guides for cold air operation so feel free to ask me anything on the issue
>>
>>29281141
Countries that sit out half of the world wars, and never have a bomb dropped on them don't get to talk shit about anyone else's problems during WW1/2.
>>
>>29281223
Steel without sulfur and phospjorus impurities doesnt become that much more brittle at lower temperatures
>>
>>29281316
Even after the war Grade A steel ships would suffer brittle fractures. I know what I am talking about when it comes to low temperature ship steel behaviour
>>
>>29281316
they're not impurities, they're added to steel for solid solution strengthening
>>
>>29281038
OK Liberty on the whole were mostly wielded instead of riveted. And wielding technology was still pretty new then so some shit like this was going to happen a few times. But look at today, wielding is used in 90+% of putting a ship together.
>>
>>29281281
>sit out
Supplying the British and Russians from pretty much the start. Economically, the US had a huge impact on the war pretty much from the start.
>>
>>29281038
>Rosie the Riveter
>women doing anything right

That's what you get.

And it's liberty "ships", which played a decently large part in winning the war.
>>
>>29281744
Sulfur and phosphorus aren't. They're present and allowed but they aren't added.
>>
>>29281038
They were routinely made in two weeks or less. It is surprising that more didn't sink or fail.
>>
>>29281281
>a country that never supplied its allies while still fighting on two huge fronts on opposite sides of the globe while producing more tonnage than any other country in the war dont get to talk shit about one of the hundreds of ships produced in a 6 year conflict breaking in half.
>>
>>29281281
OK, kid.
>>
>>29282636
Riveting is for air planes dipshit. Ships were welded and with the size of equipment used and the size of components being moved a woman would have never been tasked with such a large weld.
>>
>>29281281
>implying the fact that we were never bombed isn't an indication of our inherent military superiority

Also, Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>29281038
The issue was not with the steel itself, but with the way it was bonded.

All in all U.S. steel in WW2 was far more consistent in overall quality and strength than what Germany produced.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but I'd suggest you take a course in welding .
>>
File: 1422669581093.jpg (127 KB, 834x556) Image search: [Google]
1422669581093.jpg
127 KB, 834x556
>>29281281
Yes, yes they do.

Those are the exact countries that get to talk shit. Because they can.
>>
>>29281223
>>29281239

They've got it right. Brittle fracture was poorly understood back in the day. It's better understood now, but there are still incidents. Propulsion plants have to be operated within certain temperature and pressure bands to reduce the chance of brittle fracture.

>>29283152

Welding in ship construction wasn't introduced until the 20s-30s period. After an incident with the Japanese 4th fleet in 1935 that put nearly all their new destroyers and cruisers out of action due to improper welding, they switched back to riveted construction.
>>
>>29283152
SS Jeremiah O'Brien sure has some nifty videos of herself being re-riveted on youtube.

But then maybe I'm just talking out my ass.

At least one of us is.

And that person isn't a Merchant Marine officer.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.