[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Happy day! AR-Day!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
I have been waiting for this day for well over 10 years. I finally got a license to purchase a proper semiautomatic rifle!

Now, I need your help.

I need to get this right the first time since changing rifles means applying for a new license. That is why Im going high-end terms of budget. No pussyfooting this time, but nothing crazy either... budget for this build is 2500k€

What I'm looking for:

-Ar platform rifle in 3-gun competition spec.
-Preferably ready to rage package from a "mainstream" manufacturer to ensure availability here in Europe
-Price 2,5k not including optics

What are my options?
What should i pick in terms of caliber? (Amateur 3gun and range fun + hunting)
What are your recommendations?
What should I know?

Thanks for helping me out /k/, this is a profound life event for me and I would like to share this with the community!

Sincerely,
Anon

Pic related, my dealer has a STAG ar in stock
>>
>>29278945

Congrats!

I recommend posting your questing in the AR General thread, where all the AR autists hang out.

As for caliber, stick with .223/5.56x45.
>>
Check out herra arms from germany.
Good ARs
>>
>>29279022
Thanks!
I'll post there if this gets ignored :D

>>29279060
Awesome, thanks! And yeah, this means that all I can buy all guns on the european market so import restrictions do not apply in the same way!
>>
>>29278945
>2500k€
You're building a 2.5 million euro rifle?
>>
>>29279085

What country are you in? I know almost everything there is to know about the US AR market, but almost nothing about the euro AR market.
>>
>>29279101
Finland
>>
>>29279095
I wish. Pardon my exuberant fingers oozing excitement over this happy matter :)
>>
>>29279137

If you were stateside, I would advise you to build your own. Not sure how possible that is where you're at though, so look at sticking with reputable manufacturers including, but not limited to.

>Noveske
>Daniel Defense
>BCM

I don't have much experience with Hera Arms because here we're inundated with domestic manufacturers, but they have a pretty good reputation.

Stick with a 14.5"-16" barrel if possible, using a mid-length gas system. If you want a rifle for longer range precision work, take it up to 18" tops. If you want something smaller and more maneuverable for close quarters work, or you plan on mounting a suppressor, you can go into the 10-12"ish range. At these barrel lengths though, you'll want a carbine-length gas system. Also, if you are planning on running suppressed, consider an adjustable gas block of some kind.

Stick with free-floated handguards, preferably KeyMod or M-LOK if available.

Again, not sure what your laws are, and sorry about the English units as opposed to metric.
>>
>>29279195

>If you were stateside, I would advise you to build your own. Not sure how possible that is where you're at though, so look at sticking with reputable manufacturers including, but not limited to.

-Im not sure since the rifle parts are also under license, basically you need a permit for all parts "under pressure" ie. the action, bolt and barrel. The rest you can buy like milk, including suppressors :P

>Noveske
>Daniel Defense
>BCM

-Ive read good things, just afraid not that many have come over the atlantic :(

>I don't have much experience with Hera Arms because here we're inundated with domestic manufacturers, but they have a pretty good reputation.

>Stick with a 14.5"-16" barrel if possible, using a mid-length gas system. If you want a rifle for longer range precision work, take it up to 18" tops. If you want something smaller and more maneuverable for close quarters work, or you plan on mounting a suppressor, you can go into the 10-12"ish range. At these barrel lengths though, you'll want a carbine-length gas system. Also, if you are planning on running suppressed, consider an adjustable gas block of some kind.

>Stick with free-floated handguards, preferably KeyMod or M-LOK if available.

16 inch barrel would be my pick. With threads for a supressor or brake.

>Again, not sure what your laws are, and sorry about the English units as opposed to metric.

-No prob, and thanks a lot for your advice!
>>
File: IMG_20160310_180355771.jpg (366 KB, 728x943) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160310_180355771.jpg
366 KB, 728x943
>>29279578

>You need a license for all parts "under pressure", the rest can be bought like milk, including suppressors.

Fuck, and of course suppressors require expensive, difficult to get licenses in the US.

Sounds like you want a 16" barreled rifle with a mid-length gas system, modular free float hand guard, standard 1/2x28 muzzle threads, and potentially something like a Noveske Switchblock for reliable operation both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Here are some of mine, rifle on the bottom is a 16" Daniel Defense DDM4v7
>>
>>29279620
This is really golden advice.
I hadnt thought that there could be issues with the gasblock when switching between suppressed and unsuppressed!

The thinking here is that the Firearm becomes no more dangerous from making it quiet. In contrary it becomes safer and less disturbing to other people and animals.
>>
>>29279620
Why is your rifle held together by tape?
>>
>>29279137

I'm a Finnfag as well. 2.5 K€ is enough for getting just about AR-15 rifle, except H&K MR 223.

.223 Rem is the caliber of choice. If you shoot a lot on the long run ammo will be the thing to which you will spent far more money than to the rifle. 18-inch heavy barrel is the most versatile option for all-around use - not too heavy or long for SRA or IPSC, but barrel is long enough for rifle (read: not carbine) gas system and with a good set of iron sights (with front sight on its own separate sight base near tip of the barrel) the design is also excellent for shooting service rifle competitions. Unfortunately finding a readily made rifle in that barrel length is quite difficult, since the commonly available options are with 16-in or 20-in barrels. If you plan shooting only with optics 16-in barrel is ok.

Otherwise there are plenty of options from which to choose from. I would not even consider the Chinese copy, even if it is the cheapest. Also avoid Schmeisser rifles - their plastic parts are air-soft quality. Probably the cheapest somewhat decent quality rifle available is Smith & Wesson M&P, which is around 1.3 - 1.4 K€. You can find Sig-Sauer rifles for about that same price, but I have no experience about them. Stag Arms and Hera Arms rifles can be found for about 1.8 - 1.9 K€. Bushmaster and DPMS made are also available every now and then. Oberland Arms makes high-quality AR-15 that is around 2.2 K€, but they might be difficult to find.

If you want a really accurate rifle that is in upper limit of your price scale, one possible option would be Uronen Precision, which are kind of a semi-custom rifles built in Lohja with locally made heavier receivers and Lothar Walther barrels. The manufacturer guarantees 0.5 MOA accuracy to 100 meters with the ammo of choice (52-grain S&B Match):
http://www.asejaosa.fi/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=70&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
>>
>>29280146
Also:
http://www.asejaosa.fi/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=70&option=com_virtuemart
>>
>>29280125

Because of the way suppressors function, they generate back pressure that pushes gas back through the action after every shot. This can, in some rifles, create a situation where the rifle is getting way too much gas which can affect reliability and cause excess wear.

To compensate for this, a few companies have introduced adjustable or multi-mode gas blocks that allow you to restrict the gas flow when a suppressor is mounted. This brings things back into balance so everything can work the way it's supposed to. When you take the suppressor off, to avoid the rifle now getting less gas than it needs, you can just switch it back to un suppressed mode and you're g2g.

That really should be the thinking here as well, but unfortunately poorly thought out legislation originating from the depression era that restricts suppressors, paired with a hollywood culture that shows suppressors only as tools for assassins and spies makes it very unlikely that the laws will change any time soon.

>>29280133

Because it breaks up the profile, helps with camoflage, and feels better on my hands than blazing hot / freezing cold aluminum.

>>29280146

Sig-Sauers AR type rifles are all pretty well made. So are Smith & Wesson M&P rifles, but between the two the Sigs are better if they are similarly priced. In the US, M&P's go between $550-1000, and the Sig rifles are $700-1400. Avoid "piston operated" AR's though, you want to stick with DI.

Bushmaster and DPMS should both be avoided at all costs. Stag Arms are considered low-mid tier in the US.
>>
>>29280146
>>29280252
>>29280266

Oh.
You are my new favourite person.

That is awesome!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.