[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't commercial jet airliners have basic anti-SAM defences?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: kjgxbhmp4ulyhaz25ybr.jpg (152 KB, 657x409) Image search: [Google]
kjgxbhmp4ulyhaz25ybr.jpg
152 KB, 657x409
Why don't commercial jet airliners have basic anti-SAM defences?
>>
Some do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Guard
The FAA and a few European countries tried to ban it though, over safety concerns.
>>
>>29276908
Some do.

Israeli Airliners do, housed in a body flush pod under the fuselage behind the rear wheel wells.
>>
It seems like a vital element of any airliner these days, the costs of having a flare deployment system for IR missiles is probably outweighed by some muslim dindu on top of the eiffel tower shooting down an airbus
>>
>>29276998
Isreal doesn't have an airline. Jews can fly.
>>
>>29276908
Airliners have pretty slim profit margins, if they don't see a need in doing something they wont.

Countermeasure systems aren't cheap, easy to get, without controversy or likely to be effective. None of which makes them an appealing investment.

Civilian airlines broadcast their GPS location and velocity via ADSB or ADSC regularly and already provide anyone with the capability to build a guided missile a very effective system.

Missile goes to rough broadcast location to match heading and velocity, then activate IR sensor to confirm and move in for the kill.

So basically the requirements for us to run an effective civil aviation system do not coincide with being able to avoid missiles to any reliable degree.
>>
Why don't they have stealth do they want to eat a missile and die?
>>
>>29276908
1. because simple defenses won't stop most modern missiles
2. because nobody is likely to attack them
3. outfitting would have considerable coast and increase weight
4. they are generally not maneuverable enough to avoid anything

some do have basic IR or thermal flares, but honestly I doubt they could detect a missile in time to deploy them
>>
Why haven't commercial jet airliners equipped their planes with ERA?
>>
>>29277601
It is interesting that their have been 19 shootdowns of civilian airliners since 1970.

Substantially more then what I thought.

Though countermeasures are unlikely to be of much use, plenty of the time it was a State actor using relatively good missiles. Countermeasures aren't overly reliable in a modern fighter jet with a radar profile the size of OP's dick and manoeuvrability like his whore mother (she gets arounds).

They are going to do sweet fuck all for a huge jet with a radar signature the size of a large jet and the ability to turn like OP's fat sister.
>>
What about skilled ex fighter pilots? Almost all major airline pilots in Israel are ex IAF. Equipped with basic countermeasures, could they avoid a hit from a cold war era missile shot by a sandnogger?
>>
>>29277698
No
>>
>>29277698

Nope. An airliner packed full of people will snap itself in two to get anything over 5 Gs.
>>
>>29277642
well when you look at the most likely ways an airliner can be shot down, it's clear how defenseless they are

A. shot down by military planes, no hope here for an airliner at all
they are a huge target for dumb fire rockets and/or machine guns and have little maneuverability

B. shot down by ground/sea based SAM
most often a case of indiscriminate targeting and/or mis-identification
probably an advanced guided weapons system, designed to destroy military aircraft; unlikely a airliner of all things could survive a attack, they may not even be aware that they are being attaked

C. attack from portable ground based systems, advanced man portable anti-air
against one of these at cruiding altitude a jet liner might stand a chance, but more likely due to the operator missing or being out of range than defensive action

D. attacks while on runway, taking off or landing
plane traveling on fixed path, can't really move anywhere else or it would crash

reality is that SAM's now have rendered high altitude flight a suicidal option, even for a milliraty jet
>>
>>29277642
How many of those were from ground based SAM that a modern airliner could realistically avoid? I am still surprised no terrorist has built a unguided rocket and shoot it at an airplane on take off or landing. Hell, stabilize a katyusha and you got yourself a plane killer.
>>
>>29277698
anon you could put top gun in an airliner and he would get shot down by anyone trained enough to hit a target, armed with anything that would put them in range

those measures are just to make people feel safer
>>
>>29276908
It's because it's stupid.
Doesn't happen enough to bother.
All sorts of complications around fitting it to the aircraft I. Relation to weight and legality.
All sorts of issues ever getting it through FAA testing.
Just think what hijackers could with a plane that has AA countermeasures.
>>
File: simpson1.jpg (63 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
simpson1.jpg
63 KB, 500x385
>>29277698
>Almost all major airline pilots in Israel are ex IAF

No shit. Military service is mandatory in Israel
>>
>>29277841
Yeah, so?
>>
>>29277852
You see how asinine the original comment was now?
>>
>>29277728
>how many of those were ground based SAM that a modern airliner could realistically avoid?
Zero
>>
>>29277733
Ehh not much more then a regular lane to be honesy.

The thing is already a pretty good fuel bomb delivery mechinism. Being able to shoot some flares and start more fire isnt a big advantage and most targets that are likely to be hit by terrorists are not going to be actively defended with SAMs anyway.

Not that any sort of countermeasures are going to give you much of a chance with something that has such a large radar and ir profile to begin with.
>>
>>29276908
Because civilians aren't worthwhile targets for a missile that costs 6 figures

>>29277035
Then you are a moron
>>
>>29277728
>I am still surprised no terrorist has built an unguided rocket and shoot it at an airplane on take off or landing
They don't need to when they can just shoot RPG7's at them.

Also that happens with disturbing regularity in the Middle East and SE Asia.
>>
>>29277913
Oh, I should also note that they very rarely if ever actually hit the plane (I can't find any confirmed cases of a plane being damaged by one) because sandniggers cannot into leading targets.
>>
>>29277841
>>29277879
I said IAF, not IDF. I also meant they were IAF pilots. The selection for pilots of all kinds in Israel is the tougheat of all military designation. Worse than any SOF.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.