[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Salvage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Hey guys, I need some advice. Bestfriend's house burned down and killed all of his guns. He's in the process of replacing them but I picked up his 1911. I'm wanting to salvage as much as possible from it and rebuild the thing. What should I soak it in to get it to where I can take it apart?
>>
I wouldn't trust the chamber or barrel of a gun that had been exposed to that kind of heat for extended periods.

If you do fix it up, don't use it for anything other than a wallhanger or conversation piece.
>>
That thing is fucking wrecked. You'd be better off scratch building one...
>>
Can I salvage the frame at least? That way it's legally the same gun
>>
The metal got soft. It will explode if you try to shoot it.
>>
>>29270171
i wouldnt trust the frame rails.
>>
>>29270107
Eh just scrap it at this point
>>
>>29270154
Yeah I know but this one has sentimental value from when we were younger
>>
You could probably clean it up, replace the grips/totally trashed parts and just visually restore it. No way it' going to fire again without taking your fingers with it.
>>
>>29270189
Wallhanger than. No shooting.
>>
>>29270210
Yeah I'm cool with going the wall hanger route. Just need it to move
>>
Could do what I did for my best friend. His shed burned and he lost his grandfather's 1911 in the fire. Had it sent off and encased in an engraved glass cube. Looks pretty cool and I wish I had a picture.
>>
>>29270204
What do you recommend I clean it up with
>>
>>29270240
That sounds pretty cool. Would appreciate a picture
>>
Really sorry to hear that OP. My dad is pretty good at restoration of Firearms. He took a look at your picture and agreed. Nothing more can make function again
>>
>>29270281
Not even make it look pretty again?
>>
File: hp.jpg (107 KB, 740x487) Image search: [Google]
hp.jpg
107 KB, 740x487
I have a Browning HP in similar condition I would like to restore. I left in in the bilge of my boat for close to 10 years and it accumulated surface rust.
>>
>>29270316
Bilges aren't great storage places
>>
>>29270316
>I left in in the bilge of my boat for close to 10 years and it accumulated surface rust.
why would do that
>>
This kills the gun
>>
>>29270567
Unfortunate boating accident
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28_VN8Q6YE&list=PLCC8AF94AC0F4311A you're welcome
>>
>>29270107
it would need to be cleaned up then re heat treated back to proper hardness. that much heat and slow cool down probably softened the metal quite a bit. assuming it didnt warp anything

if anything it would be a great .22 conversion
>>
Look up electrolysis OP.
That should get rid of most of the rust. Disassemble it as much as you can both before and after electrolysis.
I would suggest getting a new slide, barrel, grips and refinishing the slide. Your best hope is to make it look pretty.
>>
>>29270927
Refinish the frame*
>>
>>29270107
go for it anon, you can get a complete 1911 less frame from sarco for about $230 shipped
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.