[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a better idea to buy bulk of hollow points rather than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: two_bullets.jpg (69 KB, 300x231) Image search: [Google]
two_bullets.jpg
69 KB, 300x231
Is it a better idea to buy bulk of hollow points rather than fmj ball ammo

Yes the cost is a huge factor but if you carry hollow points shouldn't you practice with them?
>>
>>29266177
>hurr durr

If your defensive ammunition is +p, yeah, shoot a couple +p's from time to time. If you carry 185gr .45 ammo, shoot some 185 grain ammo sometimes. If your 9mm is 115, probably shouldn't train exclusively with 147gr.

Should you spend $10,000 on HSTs?

No.
>>
>>29266177
>if you carry hollow points shouldn't you practice with them?
not really, i dont see how the shape of the bullet affects the way it feels to shoot. just shoot FMJ loaded similarly for practice.
>>
>>29266352
>what is reliability
it's like you want to be shot while having a failure to feed
>>
>>29266415
Wat.
>>
>>29266505
He's saying run a few mags through of your carry round to make sure the gun takes them alright.
>>
>>29266514
Yeah but that doesn't rally have anythin to do with how it feels.
>>
>>29266415

Oh to be American and have cheap ammo prices.
>>
>>29266177
What I've learned is that you test your jhp for reliability with your handgun. Maybe 50 to 100 rounds. If it works completely, then you just use similar grain FMJs for practice all day long. This is probably only applicable for standard pressure cartridges.
>>
>>29266415
That would a problem with a shitty handgun, not the ammo.
>>
>>29266520

Here's a little refresher on the conversation
>>if you carry hollow points shouldn't you practice with them?

You said,
>not really

Which is the wrong advice, because
>run a few mags through of your carry round to make sure the gun takes them

Good?
>>
>>29266540
>You said,
>not really
No I didn't.
>>
>>29266547
yes because that was me in >>29266352
and of course you should want to know if your carry ammo works properly in your gun, but that doesn't take thousands of rounds to find out. for general target and drawing practice you might as well use FMJ.
>>
File: bleedingtodeath.png (104 KB, 277x189) Image search: [Google]
bleedingtodeath.png
104 KB, 277x189
Riddle me this fagman, if you buy bulk hollowpoints to test their reliability and it turns it they're unreliable, do you really want to pay for an extra 400 rounds you don't fire?
>>
>>29266415
>the more you practice with defensive ammo, the better it feeds
Autism.
>>
>>29266505
>>29266537
>>29268226
it's about knowing how your gun reacts to certain kinds of ammunition as >>29266514 pointed out

>>29266514
>>29266540
>>29267908
thank's for not being a retard
>>
>>29270748
But the topic is about feel you fucking moron, I know you suck at English but damn.
>>
>>29270764
>I know you suck at English but damn.
I do ?

because the thread topic clearly says
>but if you carry hollow points shouldn't you practice with them?

I do now wonder what kind of firearm you possess and carry for dismissing my argument so quickly
>>
I just shoot my carry magazine once a month or so at the end of range session and cycle in new ammo after I clean. Rotato-potato keeps ammo "fresh" and less likely to set back plus the HST carry stuff is a little hotter so it reminds me how different the gun behaves...
>>
>>29270748
>running a few mags of carry ammo through your gun is the same as buying it in bulk to practice with
More autism.

Literally everyone I know has figured this out already.
>pick carry ammo
>run 25-50 rounds through your gun
>cycle a mag out every once in a while

Checking function is not the same as practicing.
>>
>>29266195
>hurr durr
opinion discarded
>>
>>29266177
You can get some pretty cheap HP's that don't perform too badly.

Check out sgammo
>>
>>29266177
Winchester Train and Defend.
Similar to old Govt hydrostatic shock bs rounds
>>
>>29266177
When you chose a carry ammo, you need to run at least a couple of hundred rounds of it through your gun to see how your gun likes it. Then shoot off and replace your carry ammo every couple of months.
>>
I would recommend firing at least 500 rounds of whatever you plan to carry to make sure you have no failures.
>>
>>29266177
I practiced with them yesterday. The first 6 were a mix of hornandy critical defense and hornandy XTP and the other 24 were a mix of PPU fmj, aluminum FMJ, winchester steel cased FMJ.
>>
>tfw can't shoot carry ammo anymore cuz they quit making it
>down to last 200 rds

RIP in peace, Gold Dots

>get gold dot g2's
no
>>
>>29274456
Um, they still make Gold Dots
>>
>>29274456
They still make Gold Dots for civilians and local police. All the G2s are slated for Federal LE contracts right now...
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.