[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
12 Guage Shoulder Protection?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: ATI_870-right.jpg (1005 KB, 1500x620) Image search: [Google]
ATI_870-right.jpg
1005 KB, 1500x620
I was shooting a Remington 870 identical to >pic related and after putting 10 slugs through and it 10 shells of 00 buck, my shoulder is bruised and sore.

Anything I can do to mitigate shoulder battering? Am I holding the shotgun incorrectly? Do I need a better stock? Am I just a huge puss?
>>
>Am I holding the shotgun incorrectly?

probably
>>
>>29251162
Hold it tight and quit being a pussy, slugs kick and that's just the way it is
>>
learn how to shoulder the thing also you get used to it
>>
I was 12 years old the first time I started shooting a twelve gauge. I endure bruising and suffering for a time until I figured out the perfect shoulder pocket technique. Once that happened, I could be a little kid enjoying 3 inch magnums. The more you shoot, the better you become.
>>
Shooting buckshot out of my Mossberg is painful. Not for my shoulder, mind you, but for my face. No matter how loose or tight my cheekweld is, I always feel like someone just punched me just below the eye.
>>
>>29251162
russell?
>>
>>29251162
>put on some muscle
>stop being a pussy

Pick two.
>>
>>29251562
Start wearing eye protection. If that fails, you can buy cool looking face masks from amazon for just a few bucks. That'll protect you but you'll look like a wannabe.
>>
hug it tight, roll your deltoid forward, ush forward on the forearm
>>
>>29251562
i bet you are holding it wrong or using a pos m4 stock
>>
>>29251162

You need to hold it tightly against the pocket between your shoulder and your chest; using a wooden stock and gel recoil pad will also help.

>>29251562

Its because you're tensing up following the shot, which puts your face too close to the stock during recoil. You need to relax, rework your positioning/grip, and work on your after-shot form.
>>
>>29251162
Stop being a soft faggot. You are probably not shouldering it right. Or maybe you are a woman and bruise easily. If so, I apologize.
>>
>>29252699
You are saying that, if used properly, a 12 ga firing slugs will NOT cause shoulder bruising with the basic stock?
>>
>>29253597
yes
>>
>>29253597
He is but that's because he's probably a tryhard noguns. Guns have recoil. Sometimes recoil is strong enough to bruise.

Should you be in straight up physical agony from blasting away with a 12ga? Not if you're a healthy adult.

Is a small, light bruise normal if you've been shooting all day? Yes.
>>
>>29251162
>mesa tactical recoil reducing stock

http://mesatactical.com/products/leo-telescoping-hydraulic-recoil-stock-kit-for-rem-870-12-ga/
>>
>>29253668
yeah, after watching some videos, I realized I was holding the butt about an inch two far towards the outside of my body. My bruise is basically right above my armpit, when I should be holding it further in towards a beefier part of my body. I'm sure that would help a lot, and help with cheek contact. I actually got an amount of accuracy out of the gun that surprised me as a first-time shotgunner. I was hitting dead-on about 10m out, which I know isn't super far, but I was having fun.

It's hard to gauge the accuracy of buckshot. I fucked the target all to hell is all I know.

Think I like shooting the slugs more. Would like to do more long-range slug shots.

Would still definitely prefer buckshot for home defense. Would you guys go with 00 BS as default home defense ammo or what?
>>
>>29251162
Enjoy your vagina
>>
File: sg.jpg (129 KB, 678x759) Image search: [Google]
sg.jpg
129 KB, 678x759
Here's my pattern, should I be holding the gun further in?

yeah I'm a hairy fucker
>>
>>29254430
The "pocket" varies from person to person, mine is about .5-.75 inches further in from where your bruise is. Lift your arm up shoulder height in front of you, you should be able to feel the divide between the muscle groups, that's your pocket.
>>
File: 1457935676360.jpg (136 KB, 678x759) Image search: [Google]
1457935676360.jpg
136 KB, 678x759
>>29254430
yep bruise proves your shouldering it wrong should be here ish. you almost had it but it should have been higher
>>
>>29254498
>>29254495

got ya, thanks :) I'll give it another go soon and work on my placement.
>>
>>29254495
yeah, I totally feel the pocket now. I was definitely off. thanks bro
>>
File: faground.jpg (158 KB, 1200x839) Image search: [Google]
faground.jpg
158 KB, 1200x839
>>29251162
>Am I just a huge puss?
You have answered your own question.
Try the low-recoil rounds they make for ladies and trannys.
>>
>>29254547
I am actually still wondering: what's the best 12 ga ammo for home defense situations? Assume it's 00 buckshot or some crazy specially engineered ammo that causes heavy bleed out, shrapnel ammo
>>
>>29251162
You're doin it wrong and you're a pussy, but wear a heavier jacket if you're actually concerned after that.
>>
Are you from Sweden?
>>
>>29254597
I was just in a t-shirt, should I be wearing more?
>>
>>29254626
if you hold it right you will be fine even with a tshirt
the thing is you didnt hold it right
extra layers wont hurt anything
>>
>>29254582
The FBI uses #4 buck, I'd guess full load 00 buck would be worrisome if you're in a house with other people.
>>
>>29254656
thanks for the info, I'll pick some up and play with it
>>
>>29251162
there is something called a 'limbsaver' its a cushioning pad that you slide the butt-stock. It is probably that you are miss-shouldering it. You have to seat it deep in your shoulder. And yes, slugs and 00 buck kick especially if they are magnum shells.
>>
You're shouldering the gun wrong but you're also not getting the full experience. Get some 3.5in magnum 00buck and pop off 4 or 5 rounds quickly then laugh your ass off with your buddies. As far as cheek welds go... Who actually aims like that with buckshot? I can usually hit a man sized target from 30-40 yards aiming like I do with bird shot but I've been duck hunting for a while so maybe that's it.
>>
>>29251620
Nope. Factory wood.
>>
>>29251162
Just practice and get used to it. Don't be a pussy. You don't need any extra padding on the butt of your shotgun unless it's meant to extend the LOP.
>>
>>29251162
I shot a 12g like it was nothing and I'm a scrawny 110lb faggot with no shoulder meat
Man up or get a semi shotgun or a recoil pad or a muzzle brake or something
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.