[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long range / precision shooting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
File: MPA308BA-Type-3-Gunmetal-a.jpg (67 KB, 500x497) Image search: [Google]
MPA308BA-Type-3-Gunmetal-a.jpg
67 KB, 500x497
Thinking about doing a howa 1500 308 barreled action into a mpa chassis.

Glass a vortex of some flavor.

Goal is a nice entry level 600yrd gun that shoots a cal. i already own.

And will be able to take on a dog hunt
>>
>>29250817
Sage

We have this dumb ass thread every 72 hours
>>
>>29250817

too many variables to say anything definite. Whats your budget, accuracy goals, factory or reloaded ammo. You cant just fucking post i want to go bang from far away and expect us to know what you want to do
>>
>>29250817

Ya that will work for yotes. Why not go 223 to save fur though?
>>
>>29251057

It's better than 4 f35 threads and more /k/ related then the army dress up thread.
>>
File: 700MtnSS_84274_Right.png (180 KB, 1200x178) Image search: [Google]
700MtnSS_84274_Right.png
180 KB, 1200x178
I was thinking of getting a remington 700 mountain in 308 for hunting deer. Thoughts?
>>
This thread is relevant to my interests.
>>
>>29255257
Also, would this work with the remington 700? And would I have to take it to a gunsmith to install? http://www.badgerordnance.com/mil-spec/m5-dbm-detachable-magazinetriggerguard-short-action.html
>>
>>29250817
>dog hunt
what kind of a monster are you exactly? did you mean hog?

I am getting this tomorrow /k/, and throwing a primary army 4-14x FFP optic on it until I can get a better one, what do you guys think?

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR

going with the 24 inch barrel
>>
File: l_393-000-037_1.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
l_393-000-037_1.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
>>29255379
No, nearly every brand and type of bottom metal requires inletting and/or bedding.

There are very few true drop in options. Wyatt and Accurate Mag make some. Some Remingtons come in HS Precision stocks and would (may) take this
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/bottom-metals/700-short-action-308-detachable-bottom-metals-prod73352.aspx

It's cheaper than just about any other option to get a whole new Magpul Hunter stock with bottom metal addon and Magpul AICS mags.

Whatever you pick, do a whole lot of research before you buy.
>>
>>29255379
>>29255624
Oh and also, I don't think I've ever seen a drop-in bottom metal that takes standard magazines. They're all proprietary to their respective brands. And I believe they are all single stack as well, double stack can't fit without inletting.
>>
>>29255624
>>29255631
So, get the rifle and bottom metal, then take it to gunsmith to have the stock inletted? I was considering going the magpul stock route, but I really don't like the look of the stock.
>>
>>29255567
Here in the Midwest at least, "dog hunting" refers to coyotes. I'm assuming that's what OP meant
>>
>>29255650
Right. For an complete, inletted job with quality metal you're looking at $500 on top of the cost of the gun. And you'll still have a regular Remington stock.

Makes way more sense to buy a complete aluminum chassis like MDT, XLR or KRG, or a replacement stock like Magpul. Or even to buy a nice HS Precision stock with compatible bottom metal. Or better still, a quality stock from Manners, McMillan or HS Precision factory inletted for the bottom metal of your choice, which you'll screw in yourself.

Magpul's still the cheapest by a very large margin.
>>
>>29255715
I was talking to the owner of my lgs about my plans to get a mdt lss chassis, and he said they're not good, and their qc is iffy. I'd never heard anything bad until then, so I'm not sure if I believe him or not.
>>
>>29255715
So, let's say I decide to have the stock inletted. Is there someone I could send it off to have this done? I don't trust the local craftsman here, as I don't believe they'd do a good job.
>>
>>29254524
Im not in it for thr fur. Im in it to protect my fathers cattle
>>
>>29255624
This is why im getting a chassis.

By the time you get the bottom metal and a stock that is inletted or have your stock inletted your in chassis price range amyway.
>>
>>29251057

Yep, back to F-35 shitposting, ATGM blowing up tanks shitposting, camo shitposting, 14 "AR General" threads and men dressing as women. Those are WAAAAY more weapons related than something involving hunting rifles.
>>
>>29256516
>>29255737
>>29255746
Would it be lighter to get a chassis? Or have your stock inletted?
>>
>>29255567
Hard to go wrong with that rifle.

Also "dog hunt" can mean everything from prairie dogs (which are rodents) to coyotes to actual feral dogs (which are just as bad as coyotes in a lot of US farmland).
>>
>>29255631
>that takes standard magazines
Find me ONE aftermarket DBM or chassis system that takes anything other than AI mags. I'll wait.

I'd consider that standardized.
>>
>>29255737
the MDT chassis are on the low end of things by chassis standards but are still one hell of a step up from a sporter stock. They're also literally half the price of "better" chassis.

They bed just fine, the only complaint about them is their folding stock model has a little bit of wobble in it due to a less-than-bombproof locking system.

>>29257244
Getting the stock inletted will be significantly lighter if you're doing it to a sporter-style stock (from anybody). The chassis will possibly, maybe, be lighter than something like a good Manners or McMillan, but at that point it's kind of a wash since they're all set up for heavy barrels.
>>
>>29257300
Thank you for replying, I still have much to learn, as I'm pretty new. My primary concern is weight, so I was thinking a remington 700 mountian (lgs has one, really like it) that comes will a bell & carlson stock, get it inletted, and put in a badger ordnance m5 dbm, and probably a leupold 3-9. Would this be good? I apologize if what I have said is ignorant, or wrong.
>>
>>29257583
If your primary concern is weight why not stick to the internal mag? Is 2 extra rounds really that important to you?

Also keep in mind that while there are plenty of 10+ round AICS-pattern mags available, anything bigger than a 5rd mag won't be able to be removed while prone without turning the gun (doesn't work well with a bipod).

The R700 Mountain is a pretty decent rifle. Overpriced IMO but it's decent.
>>
>>29250817
just get a ruger precision rifle comes ready to go and you can have someone install and even better barrel with the savings (if you want to really fancy it up) over a howa/chassis.
>>
>>29250817
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/01/09/ruger-precision-rifle-review/

what this guy said^^^^ i was looking at the savage 10fcp hs precision and will be looking for a RPR now, if you can find one in stock. they are pretty popular.

if you're not dead set on .308 look at their 6.5 creedmoore, if you hand-load even more so.
>>
>>29257633
Good point, didn't think of that, thank you. But allow me to rephrase. I think mags look really cool, would it be lighter to have an inletted stock, allowing it to take mags, or a chassis that already takes mags? Also, either way I go, is the remington 700 mountain and leupold 3-9 a good combo? I know it might sound silly, and weight is my primary concern, but a close second is what looks cool, so I would like to strike a balance between the two. And at the moment, it seems as if the best option is the inletted stock, but I'm willing to concede that I am ignorant in this matter, and will defer to those more knowledgeable than I. But, if I do have the stock inletted, is there a service I could send it off to have this done?
>>
>>29257763
lightweight and long range precision don't usually go hand in hand. if you want a good hunting rifle get a tikka T3 lite, super smooth bolt, great accuracy, and very light.
>>
>>29257763
Ok. Inletting a sporter-style stock for a DBM and 5-round mags will definitely be lighter than any chassis system.

The R700 Mountain is still pretty heavy (6.5lbs), if weight is really a concern there are lighter. That is a nice fucking stock though, and where a lot of the weight comes from. It would be a good candidate for a DBM.

Another rifle to look at would be the Savage 11 (or 111 for long-action calibers) Lightweight Hunter. It comes with a pretty decent WOOD stock and is a full pound lighter (5.5lbs). The actions are kissing cousins and I think the Savage Accutrigger is a better trigger than the Remington X-Mark Pro. Savage's recoil pad is also better than Remington's, which on a very light rifle becomes extremely important (but an aftermarket recoil pad is under $100). The rifle itself is also about $400 cheaper by MSRP (not gonna bother trying to find street price).

The Rem will have more aftermarket but there's still more than enough available for the Savage.

As far as the rifle+Leupold 3-9x, depends on which Leupold. Their glass doesn't warrant their price tag til you get into the VX-III's and higher, which are very expensive. Leupold does make good glass though. Personally for your usage I would recommend a Vortex Viper HS-T 2.5-10x, it's got better glass than a VX-II while being significantly cheaper than a VX-III (which I'd say is comparable on glass quality). The Vortex will be a little lighter itself.

As far as mounting options go: If weight is really that big a concern, look at either an ALUMINUM 1-piece top rail (make sure to pair it with aluminum rings) or steel 2-piece bases. Don't bother with a 20MOA base, the rifle+scope combo is too hard to shoot well at any distance that would require it (plus those tend to be quite heavy).
>>
I can get a Howa 1500 in 338WM for 375, /K/. Should I do it and then fuck with the stock? Or 338 WM too stupid?
>>
>>29258039
It's a situationally useful caliber but not a long range rifle by any means.
>>
>>29258030
Thank you for the reply. Now, just talking glass. I would much rather buy leupold, as they are a local (Oregon) company. That being said, would this do well for deer? http://www.theriflescopestore.com/le17vxsc3wip1.html
>>
>>29258167
Yes, that would be a good one for deer. The CDS system is pretty good and it has good glass.
>>
>>29258060
Not like 6.5 creed more, sure, but at least out to 800+.
Which is something I lack in my collection
>>
>>29251057
>We
You don't speak for anybody but yourself here
Off yourself for goodness sake
>>
The rpr is tempting but i have shot one and know i would ditch the butt and the forend. Asap, adding to the cost.

Also the 6.5 is longer than i want.

I am dead set on a 20" as it will wear a can forever. And that ads significant length. Cutting off 6" of the barrel is a blessing

I can get a chassis + howa action and chf barrel for the same price as the rpr.
>>
If i have a $1300 scope budget what is a good optic to look at?

800yds and less
>>
If i can find a prs for 1000. I would jump on it.
>>
>>29260037
How will you be shooting (exclusively known distance or ranging with the reticle)? What caliber? Strictly decent light or dawn and dusk as well?
>>
>>29261394

Not i'm but looking for new optics, same boat.

Unknown , range with reticle Mil preferred,
.308 win,
Mostly decent light but it wouldn't hurt to be able to hit the broad side of barn at night.

I was looking at http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50717.aspx
>>
>>29261619
That's a damn good scope for the money. Bushnell's got an Elite something-something fixed-10x that's in the same price and quality range.

If you really wish to be shooting at NIGHT and not just twilight you're gonna need some form of powered NV (either actual NV or thermal) and the good ones start at $alot. A 42mm objective like that SWFA is a little handicapped for twilight.

The larger the objective, the better the scope does in low light (compared to scopes of similar quality), but the worse they do in bright sun (necessitating sun shades) and being bulkier/heavier/more awkward.

To that end I like 44mm to 50mm objectives. They still generally clear the barrel with low or medium rings (especially on 20+ MOA rails) while doing decently in low light. My 50mm scopes do need a sun shade if I'm not under overhead cover in broad daylight, but they usually come with one.
>>
File: 1396922889279.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1396922889279.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
>>29261619
>I was looking at http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50717.aspx

I just bought one.

>Backorder
>Have to wait one month
>tfw unhappy, sad and excited at the same time
>>
>>29261619
wow fucked up and posted early.
>>29261710
again.

All that out of the way, what is your budget? Gonna tell you right now that if it's under $500, either stick with the SWFA or save. You're not gonna get a variable power FFP with halfway decent glass for under $500, and you don't get into the good stuff til about $750.
>>
>>29261731
Wait no, nevermind, I bought the non-HD one.
They might have HD ones in stock.
>>
>>29261710
Yeah, figured most of what i'd be doing is 8" of steel around 800 or less, so I wouldn't need much more than 10x, tho 14 x might be a bit better if I can find it.

I was debating on going with Link, or saving a bit for A US optic Sn-3 T-pal or somethin, but i've heard of QC issues, but that 1.8-10x would be handy as fuck on my M1a N.M
>>
>>29261745
>>29261784

Woops , I can reading comprehension I swear, Budget is 1450 USD Max unless I wanna wait another month, then it bumps to 1600 USD
>>
>>29261844
lol kinda figured it was up there since you mentioned USO.

I do NOT like USO. They are just...not user friendly, and combined with what I've heard about QC issues as well (never had a problem on the 3 I've shot over, but they're not mine so pretty narrow band of experience).
>$1600 in a month
shit. That's about $100 shy of being able to snag a new-old-stock Razor HD gen1 5-20x50.

If you dont mind a SFP scope, Trijicon's Accupoint is damn good glass for around a grand for their 5-20x.

Of course you have the full line of the Vortex Viper PST's, which have very good glass but some people complain about them being fragile. Personally I've never had an issue and think the people that bitch about them want them to be a fully-armored HURR TACTICAL scope they can throw out of helicopters n' shit. I doubt you can break one under normal civilian usage, and even if you do Vortex has an industry-best warranty.

I don't particularly like them because they were a day late and about $200 overpriced, but for your usage I'd say the Leupold Mk4 LR/T 3.5-10x is probably your best bet if you absolutely have to have a bombproof scope.
>>
>>29261997
>missed NF entirely
FUG
NXS 3.5-10x. Small objective, shouldn't matter with their glass quality. That's my #1 choice.
>>
>>29261997
>>29262010

Well the USO came to mind because muh cool factor and I like their reticles, Tho on my bolt gun ( nothing fancy and oldish Savage 12) I don't have to worry as much about durability as I have to with my M1a and a few folks i've spoken to have suggested USO for an m1a because it seemed to hold up better that some of the other like priced optics.

Then again I'm talking to older gents in the FT Knox area, much fudd lore and such.
>>
>>29261394
Unknown distance.
Daylight 90% of the time dawn 10% dusk never
>>
>>29257271
>>29255661
Thanks guys, I forgot coyotes and prairie dogs existed, stupid me
>>
>>29255737
Does he sell them? Does he sell something different?

Might just be a conflict of interest
>>
>>29261844
Save for a gen 1 razer. I love mine.
>>
>>29251057
>get AR general everyday
>anything that can shoot farther not allowed
KYS
>>
>>29265057
Didn't think of that.
>>29265203
I, for one, welcome our new precision shooting overlords.
>>
File: Snapchat-7721601983322541307.jpg (532 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7721601983322541307.jpg
532 KB, 1080x1920
My buddy insists that my Remington 700 SPS is shit simply because it's Remington. I put it in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, it has a Zeiss Conquest, and I just got an older model a trigger for it. In all it is a $1800 kit. I can shoot ¼ inch groups at a 100 yds and he keeps telling me it can't shoot that. Another thing he insists is that Fibreglass is a shit material for a rifle stock and that poly is much better.
>>
>>29267245
Pics of groups? What's the 5-shot group look like? How old is the rifle?
>>
>>29267397
I mainly shoot three shot groups, it's a 2-3 year old rifle. Don't have any groups with the new stock on hand. Next time I head to the range I'll be sure to keep my papers.
>>
I have a remington 700 sps tactical in a magpul stock, magpul magazine, and swfa SS 10x tactical and I shoot 3/4 MOA 3 shot groups all day. There is zero machining or bedding done to my gun, this is just out of the box accuracy. I will do more and will hopefully get down to a 1/2 moa.

I'm not saying it is the best, but it is really damn good.
>>
>>29267245
you guys are arguing about something that is easily settled by a trip to the range together? you're both retarded.
also,
if the stock is one of those fiberglass hulls filled with foam, then yes they are shit. they are light and all, but far from durable and I doubt their rigidity in larger cartridges.
>>
>>29267483
>I shoot 3/4 MOA 3 shot groups all day
that's not much to brag about. I had a cheap ass Weatherby Vanguard in 7mag that would do that. It actually shot half moa but would open up to that because of the thin barrel getting hot.
>>
Hey, ID like to apologize. I fucked up my measurements. It was ¼ inch group it was a ¾. Which is decent for a hunting rifle. I'd like to tighten them up though. So I guess I'll start shooting and reloading much more.
>>
>>29254534
Preach it muh nigga
>>
I'm thinking of just getting a 10x standard SWFA ss mil/mil scope for my 308 savage 12fv, but it seems like no one makes low 30mm rings that aren't stupid expensive... I just want some leupold rifleman low rings in 30mm... The vortex ones look ok, but I really don't like big thumb screws if the rings are never coming off...
>>
If I get a new remington 700 mountain, is there anything I'd want to take it to a gunsmith for? Also what are blueprinting, and bedding the stock? Would I want either of those? Also, how do I have the stock inletted for a new bottom metal?
>>
>>29268740
Blue printing is the truing up of the action.

Often the reciver face is not truely flat and the barrels shank and threads are not concentric and true .

So a smith removes your barrel.

Mounts your reciver in a fixture and rins it on a mill or lathe to make it perfectly flat. Clean and recut the threads.

Then they mount the barrel on a lathe and. Machine the mounting face flat, and clean up the threads.

They then re assemble the action.

Bedding is done to provide a more rigid action to stock fit.

There are manu ways it is done.

Pillar bedding, glass bedding, or v blocking.
>>
>>29268740
To have a stock inletted you send the stock , action, and bottem metal to a smith.

They will then recut your stock for the bottom metal.
>>
>>29268791
>>29268807
How much do these things typically cost?
>>
>>29269059
Hard to say.

If you find a smith that specializes in your gun type ( and as such has all the fixtures) blue printing may run 100-400
In letting and bedding 200-500

Call and ask. Really bedding you can do yourself. Inletting too if it is a wood stock and ypu have goood wood working skills
>>
>>29265443
I second this
>>
>>29261844
Burris xtr2 might come in a flavor you like for under a G.
>>
>Tiborsaurusrex is about to release more optics reviews soon
Yesh...
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.