[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Law Enforcement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: rust-true-detective-edgy.jpg (132 KB, 635x489) Image search: [Google]
rust-true-detective-edgy.jpg
132 KB, 635x489
So why aren't you a detective yet?

You could be Detective Third Grade by now. What are you waiting for?
>>
Because I've known 2 detectives, one of whom is related by marriage, and they were both burnt out as fuck. Like, approaching "Bringing Out the Dead" levels of burnt.
>>
And then /k/ would truly be filled with a bunch of edgy fags.
>>
>>29239667
>>29239691
I thought detectives being "edgy" was just a meme.
>>
Because law enforcement around here is too corrupt and inept to get anything done.

Also
>>29239667
>>
>>29239636
Because I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and although I work just as hard, my hours are condensed in 24 hour shifts and therefore I still have time off. I make about 20% more than most in Law Enforcement for my level and my benefits are way better. People also like me, and do not avoid me.
>>
>>29239636
insurance investigator here with a private investigator license here, it's boring and mindless work.
>>
>>29241117
Normal cops are more liked than detectives anyway.
>>
>>29241025

Not edgy. They just needed to quit their jobs. They both had stress and trust issues.

Detectives don't even get to prevent a crime, as a patrol officer might. Their good day means someone goes to jail because someone else got murdered, raped, or had their lives demolished. And always after the fact.
>>
>>29241126
not unless theyre like a narc or DEA or something
a regular beat cop is the one busting your balls, giving you tickets and breaking up parties and arresting you for weed. You only deal with detectives unless you've killed, rapped, kidnapped a person or are part of some crime organization
>>
>>29241187
I knew a guy who did missing persons for a little over a decade. Said it was more rewarding then any work he did in homicide because you might get lucky and stop a case before it lands on a homicide or svu's desk.
he saw some freaky shit though, still burnt out but said it was a happy feeling of exhaustion that made it worth it
>>
>>29241117
do you guys get as much shit from culturally enriched urban youths?
I kept hearing everyone loved firefighters compared to cops but I saw a shooting last year and when they arrived on scene everyone started hassling them and throwing bottles at their trucks. The cops had to come back and chase them off
>>
I'm almost done with college already, and I'm not goin back for a CJ degree.
Plus I'm already a volunteer firefighter and have a full-time job (for now).

I would actually love to be a cop. Not a regular big city patrol cop that's gonna get baited into shooting some nig and then get crucified in court, but a rural cop or sheriff's deputy or even a detective.
>>
File: 1434830981567.jpg (8 KB, 206x210) Image search: [Google]
1434830981567.jpg
8 KB, 206x210
Because im going to school for it right now. Im not even sure if I want to do it for the rest of my life because >>29239667 but I still want to do it for at least a little while until I fond something else. Its a stable career to at least get me buy
>mfw thinking about my future and not sure what im doing, but everyone else has their shit together
>>
>>29241595
>everyone else has their shit together
Literally no

The longer I've been alove, the more I realize that everybody is actually just winging it the best they can and making it look good.
>>
>>29241617
I've met people who have their shit together. They are the most boring Methodists imaginable, but they plan their lives out and execute.
>>
>>29241571

I live in one of the wealthiest and whitest and for the geographic location (rural) most educated counties in the PNW. We don't have those issues.
>>
>>29239636
I'd rather be an engineer and make tons of money.
>>
>>29241025
Unless you're a Narc, they have different progressions.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 177x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 177x200
>>29239636
Ask me anything
>>
>inlkyingw even 5% of /k/ids could get into a police dept then make it through several years of such shitty work then be among the top 1% that gets promoted to even shittier work
>>
>>29241595
>>29241617
some have a better idea of life direction but for most of your college years and early twenties everyone is making it by the skin of their balls

stop going on facebook and seeing all the fake ass people taking selfish of their proudest moments and blogging about it and you'll feel much better
>>
>>29241865
whats your opinion on state vs local in terms of
>pay
>job availability
>advancement opportunity
>training
>case loads and other work that's actually worth it and or interesting
>>
File: 48.jpg (268 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
48.jpg
268 KB, 2000x1000
I wanted to until I saw this show
>95% of the time its basket ball Americans killing each other over shoes, weed, insults
>other 5% is cases that actually matter

not sure if I could do it. yeah im sure everyone would want to investigate serial killers, rapists, kidnaping cases, sex traffickers and other shit that actual makes a difference but to get their you have to do some time as a regular homicide cop and Id probably be too burnt out and uncaring at that point
>>
>>29241865
are you a highway cop? is their any branch of state police that's not highway cops but not detectives either? that's the only thing that comes to mind when I think about state troopers
>>
id much rather be a K9 or Marine officer
>>
File: black cops.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
black cops.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
I could and I might within the next few months but im not sure if I want to. I like having set hours and working the beat, but switching shifts is starting to get old and my department has a pretty nice human trafficking squad im eligible for

also, anyone debating about being a cop is worth it or not, if you've ever worked in retail or fast food its a lot like that. Most f the time its just putting on a face and dealing with peoples banter and bullshit but if you can be polite and shoot the shit back with them it helps a lot
>>
>>29242060
>human trafficking squad
that would be cool. you work for a big city?
>>
>>29242095
yeah, not right in the heart of it but one of the areas off of the city. My squad is smaller than theirs but we work together. It would be better pay and probably more interesting work but a lot longer hours
>>
>>29242156
i figured, my cities narcotics unit is joint with pretty much the whole county. no way we have a human trafficking squad. do you prefer working in bigger cities?
>>
>>29242060
you sound like a cool cop.

My friends dad it a cop and he like visibly gets upset when people don't start worshiping him upon him mentioning he is a cop.
>>
>>29242272
yeah I know folks like that. To each their own I guess, he could hate being a cop and be a grouch about it so at least hes happy. I don't like brining it up to other people if I can help it
>>
>>29242199
its ok. its better when youre younger. you have more energy, theres way more cases to and jobs to move to. As you get older you want to slow down, some of the older guys I saw move from cities to smaller counties. theres still plenty to do in smaller deps. but you just have more to work with in the city
>>
>>29239636

I'm thinking about becoming one once I finish my BS, only a year left.

Of course that means I would need to spend at least 3 years as a general police commissioner and then stand out enough to even be noticed to even get the opportunity to be promoted, and then do another year of study to actually become a detective.

There is a lot of hard work involved on the road to it, you have to be really steadfast and convinced.
>>
>>29241774
You in WA?
>>
>that pic

I just finished watching season 1, first time ever seeing it.
>>
>>29241595
>going to school for it

Don't tell me you're getting a CJ degree thinking it will be applicable...
>>
>>29243469
forensics actually
>>
>>29243469
are they really that useless? Surely there must be some benefit to it
>>
>>29243519
it doesn't exactly hurt you, but it doesn't make you note worthy either. everything they teach you you will learn in an academy anyway. so at best its getting a refresher course and maybe some more experience than others in your academy on things like report writing and some laws.
youre better off getting something else to go along with the CJ degree than just the CJ degree alone. and it doesn't even have to bee completely criminal justice related, I knew I guy that went for accounting and got hired by the department for it. Have something else to fall back on just in case
>>
>>29239636
Because ACAB
>>
>>29241865
How difficult is the training?
>>
>>29243188
Don't watch Season 2
>>
>>29245594

Yeah so far it's pretty underwhelming. I did like the shootout scene however, because on basic cable cop shows like CSI and Criminal Minds the main detective characters will typically be the ones performing felony arrests, with a maybe a few tactical officers for backup. When they tried that on season 2 of True Detective, they got lit the fuck up.
>>
>>29245594
>>29245767
heres to hoping S3 doesn't suck
>>
>>29246096

Well replacing the crazy pedo-rapist mass murderer "yellow king" cthulhu cult plot with generic california drama # 6789 was bound to disappoint. I don't what the fuck they were thinking.
>>
>>29245767
My favourite bit about the shootout was watching how Woodrough, a marine vet, shoots differently than the others and handles the stress of it completely differently
>>
I'm working on finishing my degree (1 more year) and then getting eye surgery and applying. Not totally sure what I want, but bring a detective would be one of the best paths I imagine
>>
>>29247579
I didn't mind s2 actually. I think it has some serious fault and S1 was better but I liked the neo noir gangster drama with ties to dirty politics. It felt very 1940s noir set in modern day. if they went with another serial killer it could have been called a lame repeat
>>
>>29239667
>>29241549
you guys just reminded me
>middle school, was maybe 13 at the time
>school camping trip for 3 days
>doing innawoods things like camping, fishing hiking and fun stuff
>night time we gather around a camp fire to tell ghost stories
>all stories are kind of lame and too soft, we want something really scary cause we're older
>one of the volunteer dads was a cop, we ask him to tell us cop stories
>errr... Im not sure guys, that's a little extreme
>this just makes us want to hear more
>even the other dads are like "come on bill, tell us something"
>proceeds to talk about cases he worked on in graphic detail about murder and kidnappings
>all while trying to put a lesson on it
>"see kids that why you use a buddy system, dont wander away from your parents, don't talk to strangers"
>one girl almost pukes, everyone has the 1000 yard stare, even the other dads
>copdad is just like "well..you asked for it"

I felt bad for him, it sort of bummed him out for the rest of the trip and I know he felt weird. I honestly learned more about stranger danger from that one night than any bullshit school assembly
>>
>>29248332
kek
same thing happened to me sort of with my grandpa telling 'nam stories at one family camping trip. if you ever have the chance to get a veteran, cop, EMT or whatever a few drinks hold on to your fucking hat youre about to hear some shit
>>
>>29239636

fuck. that.

both of my parents were detectives at the same time but at different departments. dad did homicide and mom did sex crimes. they were always miserable and stressed out, working long as fuck hours. i sometimes didnt see them for days because by the time i woke up for school they were gone and they didnt come home until 9-10pm or later most days. pretty much my entire middle and high school years we never had a family dinner during the week and i had to learn how to cook for myself or id starve.

you could just see the looks on their face, like someone with ptsd. dealing with child molesters and murderers all day fucks you up. sometimes i would sneak into their case files and look at the homicide photos and read the confessions of the people. fucking wild shit. one guy that was a chimo kept a condom filled with ice in his freezer and hed fuck himself in the ass with it and put it back in there covered in poop.

t b h it kinda fucked me up too, because they were open about their jobs and what was happening so theyd tell me about the diddlers and the murder stuff when i was real young and it kinda stole my innocence away because im like 7 and i know about people getting chopped up and eaten and people that fuck little kids and stuff like that. im fairly sure my mom gave me the ursula assaid book when i was in 2nd or 3rd grade, so im reading an adult book about child abuse and death and man what the fuck. redpilled as fuck in 2nd grade. it also doesnt help that everyday u wake up you think they might not come home that day. all this shit makes for a hard heart. i have trouble relating emotionally to other people and connecting, almost like autists but i realize it.
>>
>>29242603
Maybe, what's it to you?
>>
>>29248770
>i have trouble relating

Sounds like a genetic problem. You know what to do.
>>
>>29248770
where did you live and how did the get to be detectives in those kinds of units?
>>
I don't need the chief on my ass all day
also what does the "grade" ranking mean? Whats the difference between grade 1,2, or 3?
>>
>>29251774

south florida. i dont really know how they got to that position but from what i remember you have to apply for it and get recommendations and pass some sort of exam before theyll consider you. towards the end of when i was in high school they both said fuck it and went back to patrol and worked normal hours. i think the stress of that job just got to them. theyre both retired now and got FAT pensions.

i asked them about possibly being a cop and my dad said well idk if youd even want to do that now because of the way policing has changed, with all the politically correct red tape they have to deal with and liberal supervisors trying to analyze every fucking move you make under a microscope. my mom said id never pass the bullshit polygraph, which i know is a fake test and the cops dont hire boyscouts all the time. i seriously doubt all these bully assholes that are hired were squeaky clean normal people before they were hired.

>>29250341
nature vs nurture. my nurture was all fucked up. when your mind just functions on a different level than the average person because of all the shit you were exposed to theres not a lot you can find in common.
>>
>>29250308
gotta be king county
>>
>>29253043
interesting
I always thought if I ever made it into some unit like that id get burnt out as well but id retire off of that pension before it gets to me
>>
>>29253504

well they were cops for like 30 years each before retiring. they both were on beat for like 10 years before going detective and then were detectives at the same times and both went back to beat at the same time. i think they spent 10 years as detectives before going back to beat. so first 10 years on the streets, next 10 as a detective and then the last 10 on beat again.

shit really started getting good for them after september 11th because the amount of details they were working at ft lauderdale airport were just ridiculous, and they never really slowed down on working OT until they retired. whats nice is pension pays 75% of what you earned the last five years you were on the force, so they were both taking in around 120k their last years because of all the details.

so a 90k ish a year pension, plus a 500k cash payout when you retire from the drop program (which i heard isnt around anymore), yea youre living large when youre retired. the only shitty thing is theyre paying full price for their insurance.

its really mentally taxing though. just the look of disgust and disappointment when they were home was really bad.
>>
>>29241595
im starting school in September, really fuckin pumped
>>
>>29241865
Best recommendation for education? I'm currently enlisted but I want to know if I need to go full Bachelor's instead of just an Associate's degree.
>>
>>29241865
I have a SS totenkopf tattoo on my arm, would that prevent me from becoming a cop?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.