[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/, Could you explain how a company gets away with milling a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
/k/, Could you explain how a company gets away with milling a steel pipe. Attaching a stock, trigger mechanism, and bolt. And then selling it for $2000.
How big are the margins on these things?
Does the government tax percentage based upon the diameter of the steel pipe?
>>
I found one at my local Sports store for atleast $3000

Here's the advertisement for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYC9qKnd84
>>
>>29238244
Because there are people out there who buy gimmicks like this.
They get away with it because they know they can.
>>
I used to work at a retail gun store where we often had at least one of these in stock. IIRC, we priced it at about $1500 and managed to get about a 8-10 percent profit margin, which was the average markup for the vast majority of our firearm SKUs.
>>
>>29238244
How cheaply can you make one?
>>
Rifling can be a bitch to do sometime
>>
Depends

What's the accuracy?

If it can consistently do under 1 MOA, then yes, there's thousands of dollars right there.
>>
Serbu made a single shot .50 for $850 starting.
>>
>>29238244
as another has eluded to, do it yourself, OP and get rich if that's all it takes.

I know OP is just shitposting, either that or he's as ignorant as a bernie suporter, furthermore, I have no interest in owning such an abomination, but it never ceases to amaze me how someone can think the price of raw materials and a little bit of machine time billed at $5/hr is all something should sell for.
>>
>>29241152
>$850
dafuq decade was that? BFG50 lists at $2395, currently
>>
>>29241192
Is the BFG a single shot?
It's a new offering, introduced for a lower than MSRP price as a promotion. Came out like a few weeks ago.
>>
>>29241172
*alluded
>>
>>29241206
>Is the BFG a single shot?
yes http://serbu.com/bfg50.html
>>
>>29241213
Oh, I was thinking the, uh, OTHER BFG they have. Solid nomenclature Serbu.

Anyway it's the RN50 and the promotion ended Feb 19th or thereabouts.
>>
>>29241152
>>29241192
RN-50
>>29241206
>>29241213
BFG-50 is a single shot bolt action
RN-50 is a single shot threaded breech, no ejector, no extractor. The threads aren't even interrupted. I might actually buy one if the threads were interrupted since I do have a place to shoot it.
>>
>>29238244
>>29241346
>Starting February 19th, the MSRP will be $1,199.
$1200 for a threaded breech, fuck right off Serbu. You said the normal price would be like $950, not $1200, and it's still a rip off for that price. This single shot could have been a redemption for them, but instead it straight up Mark Scambu as usual.
>>
>>29241405
>oy vey, don't forget to buy some $2000 super shorties on your way out!
>>
>>29241346
>Threaded breech
What is this?
>>
>>29241346
Holy Sheeeeet!!!!

I just learned that the RN in RN50 stands for Royal Nonesuch!!!!!

Wow. Just Wow.
>>
>>29238244

Design a single shot 308 that does the same thing. Now when you go to price it remember that it a niche gun that won't sell tons so you need to reflect the price to pay for tooling and R&D.

Also remember that if your design has a massive failure you can get sued into the dirt so there's some liability insurance.

The guys you have building these are not your low end machinists either so they want to get payed to reflect that.

It's pretty easy to see where the money goes.
>>
>>29241111
A pipe without bedding is as freefloat as you can get.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.