[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are airguns the next advancement in guns? The bulldog .357 can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: bulldog-proto-1-141.jpg (728 KB, 5505x1554) Image search: [Google]
bulldog-proto-1-141.jpg
728 KB, 5505x1554
Are airguns the next advancement in guns? The bulldog .357 can shoot a .357 caliber pellet to speeds of up to 800 fps. Thats damn near close to a bullet. It holds 10 shots in its tank and can be refilled super easy if you can a spare tank. With a little more development and advancement I could see these things being really cool
>>
Heres a Fudd hunting some deer with one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i85HCdNErs
>>
No. Airguns will always be niche.
>>
>>29237385
Even if they develop to shoot bullets at speeds that rifles do?
>>
>>29237351
for european civilians? yes
>>
>>29237406

There's not much more development to be had. Better valves can be developed and stronger tanks that can hold more pressure, but you are still limited in that regard. Chemical reactions release far more energy and will always be superior to compressed gas.
>>
>>29237351

I've seen large deer taken with .44 cal air rifles

Certainly wouldn't want to catch one in the stomach
>>
>having to carry a bunch of little CO2 whippits that you can only throw away once they're empty (this isn't even the ammo, just the go-gas FOR the ammo)
vs
>carrying around a bunch of brass cartridges that you can reload once they're empty

The choice is so goddamn obvious
>>
>>29237351
No. Gunpowder will always have a much, much higher energy concentration. We will likely develop better batteries and thus energy weapons long before we even start trying to supercompress air.
>>
>>29237437
Lets say they make pressurized blocks of gas that are compact and you can just throw in the rifle. I dont think as they stand now that they're anywhere close to superior to firearms
>>
>>29237437
What? No air gun with a damn uses shit Co2 cans. You have pre charged pneumatic piston, break action, or pump.

Air compressors are cheap and air is free.
>>
Problem with air guns is that nofun places regulate them like they are firearms.

So you might as well get a firearm.
>>
>>29237466
So I either carry around a fucking air compressor that I have to return to when the gun runs out, or I have to pump the pump/barrel?

That's still a lot more clunky and convoluted comparing to racking a bolt handle
>>
File: Girandoni_Air_Rifle.jpg (92 KB, 1398x806) Image search: [Google]
Girandoni_Air_Rifle.jpg
92 KB, 1398x806
>you are now aware that militaries fielded repeating .48 caliber airguns almost 300 years ago, with 20 round magazines, capable of emptying the magazine in a minute, and accurately engaging targets at 200 yards
>>
>>29237515
God I love seeing forgotten gems of history like this.
>>
>>29237515

I heard about this a month or two ago.

Are there any air guns on the market that can even perform like a Girandoni?

20 rounds magazine, high caliber, able to fire 20 shots in a minute before needing more air?
>>
>>29237539
>>
>>29237515
>You are now aware that massively lacked the killing power of muskets at the time and pumping it back up was a total pain in the dick
>>
>>29237591
You were issued at least two cylinders.

Also black powder muskets before minie ball and rifling, sucked ass in killing power department.

You had to wait till ww1 when more soldiers died from enemy fire than disease.
>>
>>29237555
There are very good air rifles nowadays, with much more exceptional stopping power and range, but I dont think rate of fire has ever been a concern in modern air gun design. I could be wrong though, im a firearms connoisseur, but I dont know much about air guns.
>>
>>29237428
>Doesn't know shit about cost-benifit analysis
>>
GUYS
Why not just slap magnets and shit on air rifles, AND TURN THEM INTO RAIL GUNS?????
>>
>>29237479
No, you usually carry an extra tank or two

It's not much trouble.
>>
>>29237663
You mean something like the chemrail, with air starting the impulse and magnets accelerating the round the rest if the way? I personally think air guns are designed around the wrong ammunition. We should be using low velocity darts like a crossbow, not lead bullets
>>
>>29237805
saboted steel/lead or tungsten darts.
>>
http://www.airforceairguns.com/AirForce-Airguns-Texan-Air-Rifle-With-Spin-Loc-p/u2204.htm
Its a single shot but it gets a 45 pellet to 1000 fps and has a 12 shot tank.
>>
>>29237437
CO2 powerlets are like the equivalent of .22 rimfire. I suspect that larger caliber airguns have refillable tanks, similar to high end paintball guns.
>>
>>29237460
>pressurized blocks of gas

That's more or less gunpowder.
>>
File: image.jpg (793 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
793 KB, 2592x1936
>>29237351
anyhoo, got some fresh co2. Haven't tested this version yet, probably next weekend. I'm excited
>>
They might have a use in clandestine military operations, but not much else.

The next big advancement in guns is probably going to be railguns and lasers, but that's going to take a LONG time to get portable.
>>
>>29237479
Not quite. Carry a couple of extra tanks. Standard tank gives you 10 shots (or maybe 12-15 once the aftermarket adjustable gas valves get invented), and the hi-cap black assault tanks give you 30 shots.

I wonder how long before somebody shoots up a mall with an airgun.
>>
Interesting, but not an advancement
>>
File: just call.jpg (111 KB, 960x625) Image search: [Google]
just call.jpg
111 KB, 960x625
>>29237351
Air guns would be much more likely as the next advancement in gun CONTROL.

"Why do you need such a crude and dangerous gun, you can get by with a cleaner and more progressive replacement!"
>>
Wait how loud are airguns?

Would a silencer even work on it?
>>
>>29238480
They are very quiet until the bullet breaks the sound barrier, then you get that infamous CRACK sound.
>>
>>29238539
Forgot to add that when it does break the sound barrier, it sounds like a .22
>>
>>29238480
>these rifles can be had with integral sound suppressors that do not require registration or a tax stamp - See more at:
http://www.realworldsurvivor.com/2015/05/08/bug-out-with-the-airforce-escape-air-rifle/#airforce-escape-air-rifle-2
>>
>>29237428
Hey, you know what the chemical reaction of gunpowder being lit in the casing of a round causes? It causes compressed gas to push the bullet out the front. Compressed. Gas.
>>
File: metro_134.png (224 KB, 779x436) Image search: [Google]
metro_134.png
224 KB, 779x436
>>29237351
Tihar when?
>>
>>29239197
at tens of thousands of PSI.
Try storing enough compressed gas to make that happen repeatedly while still being handy
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.